Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I am shocked - shocked! - that an award founded by James Wallis turns out to be astonishingly clueless and disorganised.

But more shocked to learn that the Ennies are auctioning off the freebie reviewer copies they got donated (the thread by Jessica Price that Wallis links to is worth reading).

Warthur fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I've said this elsewhere, but the DJAs have, over time, been a secret club of one's peers, to being an open secret you could get on the guest list of by asking James on Google+, to being the all-comers, pre-Gencon, post-booth setup Wednesday night freelancer networking party. The actual award takes up less and less of the night; sometimes it's hard to get the party to be quiet for a couple of minutes so that the Perspex Pyramid can get handed over to the next lucky abstract concept.

If I were to put a finger on when it went from an Inside-Baseball recognition nod from one's peers to A Real Serious Award, it'd be when the Ennies became a ballot-stuffed joke. For every action...

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 4, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Warthur posted:

I am shocked - shocked! - that an award founded by James Wallis turns out to be astonishingly clueless and disorganised.

But more shocked to learn that the Ennies are auctioning off the freebie reviewer copies they got donated (the thread by Jessica Price that Wallis links to is worth reading).

They say they do that, it’s in their rules that they do that with their archival copy and any the judges feel,like donating to the auction.

The real issue is that the review copies are unopened, and their auction stuff is buried deep in FAQs and bylaws.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That Old Tree posted:

The DJA was even more of a shitshow behind the scenes.

Hurriedly using a sharpie and 8x11 card stock to put together a "thanks, black people" sign right before I walk out onto the stage.

This is frustrating, why is this industry so full of people who are great at making games but utter poo poo at basically everything else. Like if you suck at running an awards show then fuckin bring in someone who is good there's probably a lot of people out there who can do it.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

That would require paying someone to put on the awards show, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tsilkani posted:

Yeah, the only reason the Ennies are even a thing is because nobody else has bothered.

Gen Con used to do it, but then decided to make the Ennies "official."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fifteen haggard serfs dressed in rags stand in the middle of a mud-soaked village commons in a downpour, staring at one another morosely.

"This social club sucks" says one. The others nod sagely.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Deleting for the moment, pending clarification

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Tsilkani posted:

Just fund it by selling the new-in-box unopened games that you get sent free to review that your friends didn't make.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Just fund it by selling the new-in-box unopened games that you get sent free to review that your friends didn't make.

I would hope if the show is going to be any good, they could maybe not extort all the nominees for free games.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, the only reason the Ennies are even a thing is because nobody else has bothered.

Gen Con used to do it, but then decided to make the Ennies "official."

There's the Origins/Gama awards

Voted on by the people at the convention

Yeah, let's go with no one else having bothered, it's easier than trying to explain.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

PST posted:

There's the Origins/Gama awards

Voted on by the people at the convention

Yeah, let's go with no one else having bothered, it's easier than trying to explain.

Or it could be we're talking about RPG-focused awards, and the Origins are a general games award, with RPGs getting two categories only? Best roleplaying game and best supplement is doing a disservice to the variety of output the industry makes, and it almost always going to end with indie publishers getting edged out in favor of the big boys. The only winner in the past 10 years that wasn't a big name or licensed property was something called Arcanis.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

why is this industry so full of people who are great at making games

let's not say things we don't mean

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Arivia posted:

I’m going to ask a stupid question because I think I’m missing something really obvious. The poo poo Khelil went through is horrible but I’m not seeing how it’s racist? Like he keeps mentioning that it’s motivated by white privilege and racism and I’m not seeing how this weird idea McElroy has of Khelil criticizing OPP on Twitter gets turned into that. Was it a bunch of criticism of bad racialized portrayals in OPP products? Racist internal politics?
I feel like I’m missing a piece to understand the whole setup here.

It's all about context. Maybe there's no other, maybe there's some things he missed out, subtle things he didn't mention that still led into him feeling it.

It's a super complicated subject.

Like, for context. McElroy has a history of sexual harassment.

That has nothing to do with this but does speak to him being a lovely person.

Freelancers have criticised Dawkins and McElroy before for caring more about/paying more attention to popularity than product (let's be honest, some names sell more books, but none of these people get their name on the cover so...). Could that also be down to racism, or misogyny or just sales factor or star-loving?

It's, again, a complicated subject.

It's entirely possible that yes McElroy (and by extent Dawkins) poo poo on this writer because they dared to complain about the rumour that OPP would re-hire McFarland (which is not a new idea, it's been around for years). And that it had nothing to do with racism.
Or that the reason they went extra-hard on criticising this writer was because of racism.

There's not enough context, no actual quoted emails to pick apart etc.

EDIT: Ohh, and considering what products and subjects he was being considered to be hired for. I forgot that, yeah...

However, whether it was racist or not, there was a whole lot of unprofessionalism going on throughout the company, as evidenced by Rich Thomas' defence which was riddled with it.

I mean to put into context, Rich Thomas, who is definitely on the list of 'should never speak to customers' spent more words on this, than he did the sexual harassment allegations about the same Matt McElroy by a former staff member.

PST fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 5, 2020

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

In good news, apparently:

https://twitter.com/schwalb_ent/status/1291045597093466114?s=19

I had no idea this was even a discussion, but I'm glad they listened. Of course, you can scroll down to see a good half of the responses bemoaning empathy and changecancel culture pandering.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Twitter is broken for me, does he explain why the change?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

moths posted:

I presume because “mad” is no longer considered broadly okay.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rand Brittain posted:

I presume because “mad” is no longer considered broadly okay.

Specifically this, but also generally because equating "mentally ill" with "evil" has always been questionable.

It's also kind of a generic, crap title.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moths posted:

Someone mentioned that the wizard was specifically angry, not mad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be fair I'd likely ignore 'shadow of the mad wizard' as just some generic D&D stuff, but if I saw 'shadow of the pissed off wizard' I'd consider buying it.

'why are we going in this tower full of traps and monsters?'

'this wizard's so fuckin angry at the town, he keeps just incoherently lobbing spells at us, honestly it's not even that bad it just sucks'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's definitely a dumb title, but I figured it had to be a callback to Waterdeep.

Which got a lot less subtle when 5e beat him to the punch and redid it. Now his system is a reference to an in-print competitor's module, which he can't admit without acknowledging its roots.

E: hard agree that angry wizards are way more interesting. There's an automatic hook, ie: What's got the Seething Sorcerer so pissed off this time?

moths fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 6, 2020

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

moths posted:

It's definitely a dumb title, but I figured it had to be a callback to Waterdeep.

Which got a lot less subtle when 5e beat him to the punch and redid it. Now his system is a reference to an in-print competitor's module, which he can't admit without acknowledging its roots.

E: hard agree that angry wizards are way more interesting. There's an automatic hook, ie: What's got the Seething Sorcerer so pissed off this time?

Age of the Rage Mage

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah the "Mad Wizard" was already mentioned in one of the supplements for Shadow of the Demon Lord, with artwork that's... literally Rob smoking a cigar while in a magical bubble. I personally think the name change wasn't necessary, and am now unsure of what exactly he'll change it to. The WIP name was Free Companies of the Four Towers.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Expostulations of the Irate Thaumaturge

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Rob Schwalb and Schwalb Entertainment Present: That loving Wizard.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wizards: No Sense of Right and Wrong

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shadow of the Whizzard: Dare you enter my magical realm?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Shadow of the Poop: ahahahaha poop

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Shadow of the Mad Perfectly Reasonable Wizard who wears a pointed hat

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ultiville posted:

Age of the Rage Mage

I needed this laugh today.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

"Shadow of the Mad Wizard" is a really boring and unappealing name and tbh I initially assumed that was why he decided to change it

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ultiville posted:

Age of the Rage Mage

Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards

oh wait

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Shadow of the Demon Lord 2: FINE I'll take out all the poop stuff ARE YOU HAPPY

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just Jerkin' It: A Wizards Tale.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
My incredibly tall tower of magic and wizardry is getting a lot of questions already answered by my incredibly tall tower of magic and wizardry.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"Shadow of the Rad Wizard" is right there.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If you want an Actual Play that isn't rppr or a D&D game, Occultists Anonymous is the least MageChat Mage: the Awakening game I've seen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If the Wizard Sees His Shadow the Game Won't Come Out for Another Six Months

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I had a minor (but not actually happy) update on getting my group to switch systems. My DM and I were in agreement and were discussing new systems and figured we'd discuss it with the whole rest of the group and they'd be fine with it. That ended up... not happening. I presented my evidence, went over the history of issues, my own discomfort, and then it was everyone else in the group (not the DM) defending D&D because of it's personal meaning and that it was important to show up in those spaces as POC, women, etc (it's a diverse group). The DM ended up not saying much of anything and we decided to put it up to a vote, and my argument lost.

After our poll closed for it, I posted a notice saying that I understood everyone's POV but that I couldn't continue to play a WotC related product, so I was leaving the group. The DM asked if I'd be around for other system one shots, and I said sure but I'm still pretty crushed over it (I went HARD on going over the whole history of how this has been building up and this isn't just one or two events), so I'm not feeling much of it at all anymore. :smith:

I know a lot of folks here have said people don't want to switch off D&D and now I experienced it first hand. I really hadn't thought it was as ingrained as it was. Market share is a helluva thing, but maybe I'm being cynical and missing the magic connection D&D has for some folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That sounds like a really lovely experience, and I'm sorry you went through it.