Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

This actually happened to a friend of mine when he was going for his engineering doctorate.

He had based his work (I believe it was something to do with bridge truss strength) off of previous work, and couldn't get the numbers to work right, then he found out that the data he was working off of was bad, the guy had fudged his numbers to get them to fit to whatever his conclusion was.
They ended up sending out an email to the entire engineering program when they realized that, asking that everyone who could avoid using the really powerful engineering computers (I can't remember what they were, it was 20 years ago) do so for something like a week so they could re-run all of the data so he could be working off of actual numbers.

These assholes build things like bridges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah, I had to take an engineering ethics class and they went over a bunch of examples like this and the whole end story was 'some of you are going to be designing things that can kill people if you or someone on your teams design is flawed, you have a responsibility to speak up early and often if you discover it'

Then I went on to work on targeting control radar for bombers so....

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

They sure do!
Too bad they fall down after a while :v:

IMO, fresh engineers with a masters of engineering but no actual real-world experience are a danger both to themselves and everyone around them the first few years after they're done with university.

Most of them realize that real world experience is worth something fairly quickly, and take advice from other, more experienced engineers even though those might only have a BsEng (like me).

Some refuse, then I get to throw them under the bus :commissar:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never could rationalize engineering risk management with being an actual human and I just touch computers instead now.

The breaking point wasn't even risk related though but fits in with the whole lab results topic. Bench piloting of a chemical process left us with a half functional production unit. Bench pilot ignored some byproducts as specific to bench scale because it was just at the brink of measurable. The rate formula was made at an order ignoring that byproduct and handed off to the shed pilot. Shed pilot ignored the same products because bench team said they weren't important and it was gonna cost extra for an analysis that catches it measurable. Total blame on the bench here because it's PHD chemists telling the garage team what they should be measuring and the technical expertise is in doing it for barely no money.

Scale up to production and that motherfucking byproduct is everywhere because there's so separations unit to remove it. It's pouring out of scrubbing equipment at one point and I get to justify it with the environmental guy that it's only a release when it's > 1000 lbs of uncharacterized organic and at this point we still weren't sure what it was so it was hell of uncharacterized. The old chief engineer on the production design had gotten an extra distillation column sitting in the plant on the environmental permit because he's a saintly loving boy scout who's always prepared and we piped it in over a holiday weekend. Basically let us limp with overtime till a post mortem concluded we just needed extra reactors and distillation capacity because the reaction model was hosed up.

We all sat down and pulled up the concentration graph from the bench pilot and looked at a textbook example of a reaction that should have been modeled n+1 order instead of n order. I'd frame it as perfect if it wasn't my arch nemesis. I quit a month later to avoid juggling the new installation with running the thing well past flat out in the mean time.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I just thought you all needed to see these.

https://twitter.com/L0ST_VEGAS/status/1278600102970458113

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just give me some that say not great not terrible

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just give me some that say not great not terrible

That's in tiny font on the front of the banana hammock/t-back panties.

Bonus points 3.6/10

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Y’all watching the explosions in Lebanon?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Y’all watching the explosions in Lebanon?

They're pretty great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Midjack posted:

They're pretty great.

wait what the gently caress

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Midjack posted:

They're pretty great.

Uhhhhhh

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The port just blew up. It’s unclear as to the exact cause, but it’s haz related.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Early reports attributed it to a fireworks warehouse but it seems that is not the case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It sounds like it was a fireworks warehouse that exploded and set off a nitrate fertilizer dump.

:nfpa:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://twitter.com/allushiii_new/status/1290672503275356161

this shows what appear to be fireworks going off. If it was a warehouse that they stuck all of the dangerous poo poo they confiscated, that'd make all sorts of sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Of course there are people on twitter saying "that's a MUSHROOM CLOUD so clearly it was atomic, they're covering something up sheeple!"

this is why we need science education!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
USGS has a magnitude of 3.3 - that's PEPCON level, so you're looking at around a kiloton yield equivalent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

https://twitter.com/allushiii_new/status/1290672503275356161

this shows what appear to be fireworks going off. If it was a warehouse that they stuck all of the dangerous poo poo they confiscated, that'd make all sorts of sense.

Fireworks or small arms munitions cooking off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The initial fire appears to be fireworks. Initial reports claim the next warehouse over housed a large amount of sodium ammonium nitrate which is what caused the massive detonation.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Aug 4, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
https://twitter.com/HachemYassin/status/1290702640930791424?s=20

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The big white building you can see in some of the videos is also apparently a grain silo, no idea if that helped it go boom even bigger

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Plinkey posted:

The big white building you can see in some of the videos is also apparently a grain silo, no idea if that helped it go boom even bigger
Probably not, in the aftermath shots the grain silo is mostly intact.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jeez, I hope the guy who took that video is okay. That was one hell of a shockwave.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There are still reporters confusing sodium and ammonium. It's frustrating.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There are still reporters confusing sodium and ammonium. It's frustrating.

it's made a very convincing statement which of the two it is

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

That must've been one grumpy boat crew.

"WHADDYA MEAN WE CAN'T SMOKE?!?!?!?!"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kwyndig posted:

Jeez, I hope the guy who took that video is okay. That was one hell of a shockwave.

I would be surprised if he has any worries now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone know how the explosive yield of ANFO compares to TNT? I don't but if it had 2700t available this has gotta be approaching tacnuke yield, right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah I hope the people who were farther away made it. There's a couple of videos where the phone had to have been streaming to the cloud, cause, pretty thin chance anyone was around to hit "upload". No gore or anything, just obviously way too close to have survived.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Does anyone know how the explosive yield of ANFO compares to TNT? I don't but if it had 2700t available this has gotta be approaching tacnuke yield, right?

It wasn't 2750t of ANFO, though, right? It was ammonium nitrate. It still needs a fuel to make it "ANFO".

Regardless, 2700t of ammonium nitrate going off, while obviously spectacularly bad, is nothing like 2700t of military high explosive. Its det vel (as stated on wikipedia) is only 2,500 m/s. Compare to 6,900 m/s for TNT (also via wikipedia).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

IIRC it's about a 0.45 relative effectiveness for plain AN (0.75 for ANFO), so 2.7kt of AN is 1.2 kt of TNT equivalent. :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pmchem posted:

It wasn't 2750t of ANFO, though, right? It was ammonium nitrate. It still needs a fuel to make it "ANFO".

Regardless, 2700t of ammonium nitrate going off, while obviously spectacularly bad, is nothing like 2700t of military high explosive. Its det vel (as stated on wikipedia) is only 2,500 m/s. Compare to 6,900 m/s for TNT (also via wikipedia).

You're right, my mistake.

But from the other poster, yeah... approaching small tacnuke yield. Holy gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Significantly above the yield of a small tactical nuclear weapon, actually. The smallest U.S. tactical nuclear warhead, the W54 (as used in the Davy Crockett nuclear recoilless rifle and the SADM "suitcase nuke") had a variable yield of between 0.01 and 1kt.

Exploding factories and ammo dumps regularly reach into the low-yield nuclear weapon range. The Halifax Explosion, for instance, which every Canadian knows about, was roughly a 3kt equivalent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_artificial_non-nuclear_explosions

(Hiroshima was about 15kt, for comparison)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If this was an ammonium nitrate explosion, in whole or in part, I'm not surprised at the severity. The wikipedia list of ammonium nitrate disasters includes some of the worst industrial accidents in history, like that giant Chinese port explosion in 2015.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wikipedia says: "With ANFO or ammonium nitrate, they would require 1.0/0.74 (or 1.35) kg or 1.0/0.42 (or 2.38) kg, respectively."

Assuming ANFO, and the full stack detonated uniformly and instantly, that's ~2.035 kilotons. Assuming Ammonium Nitrate, the figure drops to ~1.155 kilotons. So potentially anywhere around/within those figures, probably biased lower rather than higher. It's PEPCON level, but not Minor Scale level.

For those who've never heard of Minor Scale: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Scale

And a similar/related test - note the similarity in 'look' explosion-wise with this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Picture

My guess is we've got a new #7, knocking the N1 Launch off the board: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ns_by_magnitude

BIG HEADLINE has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Aug 4, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Would it be right to assume that if it's just sitting somewhere in a heap it's not going to detonate the full available mass in the same way a designed bomb would?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Vando posted:

Would it be right to assume that if it's just sitting somewhere in a heap it's not going to detonate the full available mass in the same way a designed bomb would?

I'm no expert, but I think the key is that it was in a confined space. Even though that ship has probably ceased to exist, that little bit of confinement is probably enough to ensure most of the mass goes up all at once.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vando posted:

It was evidently sitting in that warehouse for nearly *seven years*. I'd imagine the bulk of it had plenty of time to settle and get nice and hard-packed being that close to moisture and humidity off the water.

Luneshot posted:

I'm no expert, but I think the key is that it was in a confined space (a ship). Even though that ship has probably ceased to exist, that little bit of confinement is probably enough to ensure most of the mass goes up all at once.

It *was* in a ship. Seven years ago. They then moved it to the warehouse immediately next to where said ship was moored. Then left it there. For nearly SEVEN loving YEARS.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It *was* in a ship. Seven years ago. They then moved it to the warehouse immediately next to where said ship was moored. Then left it there. For nearly SEVEN loving YEARS.

And then thought cracking on with some welding was a really good idea, apparently?

https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/1290749177157345285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vando posted:

some back of the envelope math says that 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate at a density of 1.2g/cc (compacted prills) would form a pile (cone) 60 feet in diameter and 60 feet tall. With a detonation velocity of 15,000ft/s, the shockwave would travel through the entire pile in under 4 milliseconds. It's all going up at once.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Aug 5, 2020