Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Juggernaut Star is a slave and is basically crushed into the mold of apocalyptic avenger, and in her pain she has learned to hate everything. But it isn't willful. This isn't what she'd be doing if it was her choice. It's misguided to consider her a 'hardcore enforcer' so much as another victim of oppression, forced to become a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

White Chain has a gender, which is what has long been causing other angels to scorn her. There's still no reason to believe she had a deep inner desire to be made of meat and blood and bone.

White Chain loves the world, not the void. Humans, servants, and gods are beings of the world while angels and devils live under permanent exile in the void. It makes sense for White Chain to incarnate as visually human; even though I think the dichotomy I’ve drawn is part of the unfair and broken system that the protagonists are struggling against.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Reclaimer posted:

Juggernaut Star is a slave and is basically crushed into the mold of apocalyptic avenger, and in her pain she has learned to hate everything. But it isn't willful. This isn't what she'd be doing if it was her choice. It's misguided to consider her a 'hardcore enforcer' so much as another victim of oppression, forced to become a monster.

Juggernaut Star is a victim, but she's still probably going to need to get her rear end kicked.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

wiegieman posted:

Juggernaut Star is a victim, but she's still probably going to need to get her rear end kicked.

Kicking her rear end is kind of old hat at this point, she's sort of become a jobber as far as nemeses go. Hopefully she comes around and throws off the yoke herself, the flame growing as White Chain shares it etc, but you might be right.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

wiegieman posted:

Isn't that what just happened?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wouldn't Juggernaut Star hate to be referred to with feminine pronouns? Did I miss something?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reclaimer posted:

I honestly think Juggernaut Star might end up being one of the first disciples of White Chain's new order.

Maybe also Vigilant Gaze - he might not have the same complicated relationship with self-identity but he's certainly waxed lyrical about White Chain being a moral role model.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Begemot posted:

Man I really love the theme in this story of world-building as an unreliable narrator.

There are all these big important facts that seem immutable, but when you get into the nitty gritty of it, they're just the way things are, not the only way they can be. In much the way it's easy to get stuck in your own context and not imagine a better world, the people of Throne, even the demiurges, are stuck in their own way of thinking, based on what they have inherited. How they were socialized and what they were taught by their masters.

God I love the comic.

Its a pretty accurate depiction of how power and systems perpetuate themselves; not by stopping people from making different choices, but by obsucring the fact that there is a choice at all.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I don't expect Vigilant Gaze to become humanoid, because he's very comfortable being what he currently is, but I imagine he's going to support White Chain even if he doesn't feel the same desire to change the system that she does.

I think 'older and more settled individual who nonetheless will support a more radical program because they see it as time for new ideas to be tried, or out of faith in the younger and more radical' is a good archetype, and not really one we see that often. It's good to be able to let other people take the lead, and advise them without trying to shape them, and that appears to be Vigilant Gaze's character development.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It wouldn’t surprise me if the old soul who just demonstrated immense power sacrifices himself to save the new miracle.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Isn't that what just happened?

Vigilant Gaze just sort of ran her off. She and White Chain will probably have a serious, bloody knuckle fight in the void, which I guess is just the Angel version of hugging it out.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't help but think Kierkegaard's thought would be on par with being royal, specifically his ideas on the knight of faith, in contrast to knight of resignation, which to me echo White Chain's development from her past stonyarse to now. Part of me wants to breakdown the world mechanics of what we know so far of KB6D to assess whether what just happened should or should not be viable, because a cantankerous part of me won't accept wish fulfillment deus ex machinas on the basis of some idiot notion of true to life pessimism. The other part of me wants to tell my other self to gently caress off with that commoner/knight of resignation mentality, "Suffer for a good cause without expectation of reward? Well isn't that noble of you. You go ahead and pretend to be satisfied with your isolated suffering. I'm going to take up the good cause and get my deliciously just desserts." Adapting Kierkegaard to KB6D, I'm imagining the line of thought with WC to resignation of being an outlier inured to the hope of change, to thinking: "I believe nevertheless that I shall become her, in virtue, that is, of the absurd, in virtue of the fact that with YISUN all things are lies."

Having just cautioned myself about not being obsessed with in-universe cosmology bullshit, I'm wondering whether WC's brush with Solly affects her white/black flame ratio, and how different her status is compared to other humans. I've been under the impression that humans were a black/white mix, but I don't think anything in the mythologies confirms this. Metia was said to have crawled from the ashes, while an old devil's tale claims human origins exclusively from the warm black flame.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Imo WC's transformation isn't going to turn out to be inherently a bad thing for her soul the way power was for the Demiurges because I trust Abbadon to not finish off a Transsexual allegory like that. But I also really disagree that that fact breaks the setting.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think White Chain is now either a Literal God with both kinds of flame, because of kung-fu magic, or a unique human with an angel soul.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shoehead posted:

Imo WC's transformation isn't going to turn out to be inherently a bad thing for her soul the way power was for the Demiurges because I trust Abbadon to not finish off a Transsexual allegory like that. But I also really disagree that that fact breaks the setting.

I'm pretty sure having every other angel but 10 vigilant gaze offended at her for being an abomination is gonna be downside enough

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I feel like the petals probably wouldn't mind an angel living their best life as a human.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Even White Chain knows that safety comes first during these trying times

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yesh posted:

Even White Chain knows that safety comes first during these trying times

Free the nipple yet cover the face. How cursed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

I'm pretty sure having every other angel but 10 vigilant gaze offended at her for being an abomination is gonna be downside enough

those assholes were already offended by her, gently caress them, increment their numbers

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

those assholes were already offended by her, gently caress them, increment their numbers

It's this.
I mean there's a decent chance this starts an angel civil war, and I'm not sure White Chain's side is going to be having a great time of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's this.
I mean there's a decent chance this starts an angel civil war, and I'm not sure White Chain's side is going to be having a great time of it.

"Wish fulfillment" writing in the cliche sense generally just guts story development because it leaves nowhere to go with the relevant characters and plot have gotten what they desired consequence-free. Here White Chain getting her innermost desire fulfilled is going to cause a massive series of upsets; Solomon's gonna potentially lose his poo poo over having a new daughter, Jugg10/11's gonna scream "MISTAKE", and every single Angel's going to either come down on her hard as an abomination or worship her if she's actually stolen both flames to become a new god.

If she has actually managed to become a god, then that's even worse; If she can do it by accident, the billions of people who're watching the fight across the universe can figure out the process for themselves and kick off a whole new flavour of war.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

This probably means White Chain is off the hook for any deals made with 2 Michael and/or Metatron, right?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

nimby posted:

This probably means White Chain is off the hook for any deals made with 2 Michael and/or Metatron, right?

There was never any magical power making her obey 2 Michael. He thought he was in charge and she thought he was in charge.

He definitely still thinks he's in charge, and last time he hammered a nail into her head.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Wish fulfillment" writing in the cliche sense generally just guts story development because it leaves nowhere to go with the relevant characters and plot have gotten what they desired consequence-free. Here White Chain getting her innermost desire fulfilled is going to cause a massive series of upsets; Solomon's gonna potentially lose his poo poo over having a new daughter, Jugg10/11's gonna scream "MISTAKE", and every single Angel's going to either come down on her hard as an abomination or worship her if she's actually stolen both flames to become a new god.

If she has actually managed to become a god, then that's even worse; If she can do it by accident, the billions of people who're watching the fight across the universe can figure out the process for themselves and kick off a whole new flavour of war.

I think 'new god' is just the thread getting ahead of itself. I don't think there's anything uniquely Black Flame about a human body other than mortality; Servants can be almost humanoid or humanoid and they're flesh with the Cool White Flame.

White Chain is, however, likely to be a Cold White Flame in a fleshvessel, and that's something entirely new. Angels are going to be very violently split on that, and I mean violent literally. I'm really hype for the possibility (not prediction) of Angel Civil War battle scenes in the Void, with the Concordant Knights split down the middle and the Petals siding with Vigilant Gaze/White Chain, the Thorns siding with 2 Michael.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
there's Jadis's whole prophecy about the heir being flanked by a white flame and a black flame, which suggests that either WC is still fundamentally a creature of white flame or else WC is not going to be in the picture for much longer (conveniently the comic just introduced a new angel tagalong, and there's nothing that says it has to be the same flame; the 108 followers have a lot of turnover, after all)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Straight White Shark posted:

there's Jadis's whole prophecy about the heir being flanked by a white flame and a black flame, which suggests that either WC is still fundamentally a creature of white flame or else WC is not going to be in the picture for much longer (conveniently the comic just introduced a new angel tagalong, and there's nothing that says it has to be the same flame; the 108 followers have a lot of turnover, after all)

The thing about prophecies is you need to read the original form to know what's actually being said. Jadis' prophecy came through an interpreter. (Abbadon actually nudges an inference to this in regards to Zoss picking Allison, I came across it in the wiki looking up the prophecy)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wittgen posted:

Wouldn't Juggernaut Star hate to be referred to with feminine pronouns? Did I miss something?

I think Juggernaut Star was in denial about having feminine aspects underneath the big scary armor. The initial spikey flame form was as much a mask that slipped as the spikey armor itself, then we saw it both slip and reassemble during the conversation. Part of that mask would be denying the blatently obvious when someone sees what lies underneath, so to speak.

Now as to why this is, we can probably blame some kind of edict Metatron through 2 Michael made about not changing and/or restoring the old ways, which probably means everyone gets a giant suit of armor and returns to standing still in neat rows for all eternity. Or something else equally unexciting.

Agree with the others that Juggernaut Star will probably flip to the White Chain side at some point. Possibly via tragic means though so I'm cautiously hopeful about that potential.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

DancingShade posted:

Agree with the others that Juggernaut Star will probably flip to the White Chain side at some point. Possibly via tragic means though so I'm cautiously hopeful about that potential.

Solomon David gives up his empire and follows his newfound passion: getting punched in the face by an assembly line of angels to make them flesh.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:tviv:

Speculation:
White Chain didn't draw blood here (in my opinion, actual blood drawing status still unclear). Under the most pedantic reading of the rules, the fight is still going on, nevermind that everyone that can even approach Salami's strength can see plain as day that WC just schooled him without even trying. Salami clearly realizes this, because he's no fool.

However, Salami is also Salami and no loving way he accepts defeat gracefully. Not when WC just rejected everything he is without even trying. He'll invoke strict letter, blatantly break the spirit of his own laws in spectacular fashion, and try to do WC in with a fit of selfish rage. Where it goes from there, no clue, but I hope Allison and Cio manage to rescue Tonearse here.
I think she's still an angel and that she can still come back from the void, but I'd not be willing to risk it right now.

Oh, and I'm feeling very very happy about Salami having to eat his smugness raw.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I'm on board with thinking that her new body is still technically a vessel and she'll be able to reform in the void and keep her identity if she dies. No clue if she's able to easily re-form a new flesh body though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think she drew blood in a metaphorical sense by forming a body after literally passing through him. Like now her body is his own flesh and blood, somehow.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Thyrork posted:

I clicked out for a few days and come back to see my homage to FFXIV being used as the title? :krad:
If the wheel must be broken, then let it be broken.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I'm on board with thinking that her new body is still technically a vessel and she'll be able to reform in the void and keep her identity if she dies. No clue if she's able to easily re-form a new flesh body though.

I'm getting a feeling of "now this has happened once, it can happen again and again". Like Zoss entering Throne. Someone extraordinary blazes the trail, then other somewhat less extraordinary people can follow suit. Angels know now it is possible to form a vessel of flesh; those that want to try have some sort of reference for how to do it.

White Chain's future incarnations counting among them, of course.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 5, 2020

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

I'm getting a feeling of "now this has happened once, it can happen again and again". Like Zoss entering Throne. Someone extraordinary blazes the trail, then other somewhat less extraordinary people can follow suit. Angels know now it is possible to form a vessel of flesh; those that want to try have some sort of reference for how to do it.

White Chain's future incarnations counting among them, of course.

I kind of hope they don't. White Chain is the only angel we've seen that has a specifically human self-image. Maybe Juggs, too. The rest of the angels? If they start deciding to incarnate in the flesh the comic's going to turn into a spinoff of Andrew Hussie's old Humanimals comics.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Free the nipple yet cover the face. How cursed.

Mask it or casket

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's really a mistake to think of what White Chain did as a mechanical process that might be replicated. Her body is the physical manifestation of a process of self discovery. It happened more because of who she is and what it represents rather than what exactly she did. That's also why suggesting she stole power or genetic material from Solomon David completely misses the point. Her shell, which confined her physically and metaphorically, was inlaid with merciless iron laws that she saw symbolized in Solomon David. Rejecting him was the same as rejecting her shell and the prescription of what an angel should be. Her new form represents her independence from the precepts that bound her, which again are embodied by Solomon David, so why in the world would this new form incorporate something from Salami Dave?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think the diamond symbol on her forehead is a clear sign that WC's new form is connected to Solomon in some way (a new daughter?), but what exactly that implies is something we'll just have to wait to see.

Like there are a lot of ways that connection could undercut WC's character arc, but I trust that Abbadon knows exactly what he's doing.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Dave isn't his key, only it's bearer. And White Chain being Black has nothing to do with SD either. Her angel form has consistently been coded that way.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

And White Chain being Black has nothing to do with SD either. Her angel form has consistently been coded that way.

I mean it could be both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh yeah it could be specifically connected to the key rather than Dave himself, that's a good point