Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

13Pandora13 posted:

Suppose the reproductive effects we're seeing in some adults causes sterility when experienced by children.

Like reverse-mumps or some poo poo?

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

One of my dumb gently caress toxic positivity friends posted some obnoxious Tumblr meme that said something to the effect of, "the only thing you need to say to your friend sending their kid back to school is 'wow, that must have been a hard decision for you,' they don't need your negative input on a difficult time," and it's like...nah. If there's not a financial situation that necessitates sending your kid back (which in the USA is totally a possibility), if your me-time is more important than your kid's or someone else's kid's life and well-being you're a lovely parent and I've not no problem telling you as much.

People keep focusing on deaths as if that's the only "bad" number. Suppose the reproductive effects we're seeing in some adults causes sterility when experienced by children. The potential effect of an entire generation with a reduced ability to procreate is economically devastating, on top of the psychological impact. That's *one* possible non-death side effect that's being treated like a minor inconvenience to some adults with zero consideration or study on the impact to kids. It's absolutely loving batshit how cavalier public health officials are being about this to kowtow to the administration.

But number MUST go up!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

13Pandora13 posted:

People keep focusing on deaths as if that's the only "bad" number.

I don't understand why the potential personal financial impact isn't more terrifying to people. You'd think that would at least motivate the selfish and greedy who refuse to take basic precautions in the name of public health.

Like I'm terrified of catching it, and of unknowingly spreading it. But if I have to get hospitalized for this for an extended period, with my garbage insurance, I probably end up bankrupt and in debt for the rest of my life.

I'm already paying off $22,000 in medical bills :(

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

13Pandora13 posted:

People keep focusing on deaths as if that's the only "bad" number. Suppose the reproductive effects we're seeing in some adults causes sterility when experienced by children. The potential effect of an entire generation with a reduced ability to procreate is economically devastating, on top of the psychological impact.
There are enough bad effects of covid, you don't need to doom-fantasize theoreticals. What if it mutates into a deadlier form and people who don't have b or t cell memory from the milder strain all die!!!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Iron Crowned posted:

I actually had someone at work tell me that hospitals get $37,000 for each recorded COVID death.

It's something people actually believe

That's a bastardization of an Alex Jones talking point. The CARES Act used Pneumonia as a basis for hospital compensation when it came to Medicare patients. Admission of a COVID patient was a $13k payment, having to put a COVID patient on a ventilator was $39k.

Jones took it and decided that hospitals were saying everyone had COVID and killing them on purpose once they got their payment and it really quickly spread through the conspiracy minded right.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tom Gorman posted:

I don't understand why the potential personal financial impact isn't more terrifying to people. You'd think that would at least motivate the selfish and greedy who refuse to take basic precautions in the name of public health.

Like I'm terrified of catching it, and of unknowingly spreading it. But if I have to get hospitalized for this for an extended period, with my garbage insurance, I probably end up bankrupt and in debt for the rest of my life.

No one cares about medical bills in this country until they wake up in the ICU.

I really do think that we've just internalized that doctors are expensive, and we should avoid going to them until we can't ignore it anymore, so no one really considers exactly how much it costs, even with the garbage insurance everyone is stuck with, to stay in the hospital until it actually happens.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Kalenden posted:

Thank you and the others. More feedback, especially about surfaces, is welcome.
How safe would restaurants, coffee shops, and cultural activities (genre walking around in a city and musea) be in a a typical European country?

Nothing is typical at the moment, but here's what I can tell you about a couple places in northern Italy that I visited in the last 10 days: Lago Maggiore and some places in the general vicinity of Venice. Lago Maggiore is quite near Bergamo, which was one of the early hotspots, so people take things quite seriously. Masks required indoors, full stop. Basically 100% compliance--I was in a cafe and a guy had his nose sticking out and the barista spotted it immediately and told him to sort it out. No discussion, he fixed it. There's hand sanitizer at the entrance to every shop and I only found empty ones two or three times. There is a lot more outside seating in restaurants (traffic is curtailed in some towns so waiters can cross the street) and urfaces are wiped down with sanitizer after each customer. Almost everything in restaurants is single use, we got little sachets of oil and vinegar instead of the bottles and our bread came in a paper sack. A lot of places don't have sugar packets out, you have to ask for them. You have to put your mask on any time you leave your table. Breakfast buffet in the hotel was served to you as you wait in a spaced out queue and say what you want. Way more places have contactless payment than in past visits. We got temperature checked before we were allowed in a museum. Some people wore masks walking around outside but many didn't. Overall, we used a lot of sanitizer but felt pretty safe. Further west, especially in Jesolo, it felt more lax and I didn't enjoy it too much. Bigger crowds (it's a beach resort but family live there) and people seemed more oblivious but still mostly respecting the mask ordinance.

We rented a car to get here, so I can't say anything about public transport. I wouldn't say this is typical European behaviour either, look at that dumb protest in Berlin at the weekend for example. But some places are doing ok and you can visit without a huge amount of stress I think.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lazyfire posted:

That's a bastardization of an Alex Jones talking point. The CARES Act used Pneumonia as a basis for hospital compensation when it came to Medicare patients. Admission of a COVID patient was a $13k payment, having to put a COVID patient on a ventilator was $39k.

Jones took it and decided that hospitals were saying everyone had COVID and killing them on purpose once they got their payment and it really quickly spread through the conspiracy minded right.

Ah, that explains it, I called someone out here that was spouting some Covid is a hoax poo poo once and told them that they need to stop watching Fox News, which they denied watching. How are people such morons?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

I actually had someone at work tell me that hospitals get $37,000 for each recorded COVID death.

It's something people actually believe

They're so close to getting it.

"Healthcare decisions motivated by profit are bad!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Instead they come to the conclusion that "it's just the flu bro"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

my mom wants to go back to working in the school cafeteria and i told her to write her will because covid will take her pretty quick. i made sure to let her know if she has anything she needs to say to her kids before she went back to work to get it in the will because you cant talk on a ventilator. she hated it and i think it had some effect on her so if anyones trying to stop someone they know from casting themselves into the furnace you can try that.

The one thing she fears the most, that the last thing she hears before she dies will be "told you so"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Kalenden posted:

More feedback, especially about surfaces, is welcome.
Cheers. Covid can survive on hard surfaces (plastic, paper, cardboard) for 3-4 days. It can't survive more than an hour or so in cloth. Other stuff's inbetween. It would get to you by you transferring it from a surface to your mouth, nose or eyes.

You can extrapolate from there i think.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

Touching third rail results in instant death and $5000 fine.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

wyoak posted:

There are enough bad effects of covid, you don't need to doom-fantasize theoreticals. What if it mutates into a deadlier form and people who don't have b or t cell memory from the milder strain all die!!!

First, the suggestion that it might be good to get Covid now to protect from deadlier mutations is absurd and that is what the vaccine is for anyway.
Second, the 12 month outcomes from Covid are completely unknown and there absolutely is a non-zero chance that they are worse. If HIV emerged a year ago and caused initial flulike symptoms the same number of people would be saying “it’s just a flu.” Surprise.

You should not assume the effects can not get worse or risk catching Covid while we know so little about it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've been seeing people saying covid is likely our generation's version of polio and I don't think they're wrong. There's so many chronic and possibly permanent issues coming up in survivors.

As long a I'm living in Alberta I'm not leaving my house until it's fuckin over. Schools are fully reopening in a couple weeks and they're keeping things open even with a new surge in cases. I've battled chronic illness for years, I've worked way too hard to get to where I am, I'm not taking chances. It's terrifying to think I might have to go through all that poo poo again, if I even fuckin survive it. I'm sick of being fuckin sick amd I don't want to get sicker.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Picnic Princess posted:

I've been seeing people saying covid is likely our generation's version of polio and I don't think they're wrong. There's so many chronic and possibly permanent issues coming up in survivors.

As long a I'm living in Alberta I'm not leaving my house until it's fuckin over.

This is a good plan and you should stick to it. Alberta is not taking it seriously enough.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Iron Crowned posted:

Ah, that explains it, I called someone out here that was spouting some Covid is a hoax poo poo once and told them that they need to stop watching Fox News, which they denied watching. How are people such morons?

It's the scale of the thing that makes people think it has to be something it isn't. It is the same reason 9/11 truthers exist and you have theories like "crisis actors" at mass shootings. For some people it seems like this simply can't be real, so they so something incredibly dumb and decide there is a profit or political motive backing the event when there isn't any (or the wrong person is blamed, in the case of 9/11).

I'm reading Pale Horse Rider, about the life of Bill Cooper, now and these people have been around forever. The internet just makes it incredibly easy to find and spread these ideas in a way that wasn't possible in prior decades.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

teardrop posted:

First, the suggestion that it might be good to get Covid now to protect from deadlier mutations is absurd and that is what the vaccine is for anyway.
Second, the 12 month outcomes from Covid are completely unknown and there absolutely is a non-zero chance that they are worse. If HIV emerged a year ago and caused initial flulike symptoms the same number of people would be saying “it’s just a flu.” Surprise.

You should not assume the effects can not get worse or risk catching Covid while we know so little about it.
i'm not assuming anything, I'm calling out wild predictions like "what if covid makes all the children infertile," which is about as likely as it turning deadlier and ripping through the previously uninfected population. There are theories that postulate that's why the Spanish Flu was so deadly for younger people, older populations had maybe been exposed to a similar but milder strain earlier in their lives so their immune systems were better prepared for the 1919 variant

both could happen, neither is probable, maybe just pay attention to actual research instead of fantasycrafting worst-case scenarios

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Has this one been posted here yet:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
All of those things sound like v.bad ideas, though!

I strongly advise you not to eat at this restaurant, cafe, or eatery!

:ohdear:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 5, 2020

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Who wants to wrassle?

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1290670235649847296?s=19

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
wrestling is fake but ringworm isnt

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My wife and sister in law are teachers in school districts right next to each other. School has been open exactly a week and there’s already been a teacher case in my sister in law’s school, and two more in the high school in my wife’s district.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Xibanya posted:

hi pals, I had the Roni back in April, “mild” case remember that? well now I got blood clots n poo poo. Good times!

So... any update or did you die? I'd like to know about these blood clots

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

wyoak posted:

You're saying this like it's an unlikely far-off worst case scenario. We already know in some cases men can have issues with ED (or the inverse, where they get semi-permanent erections) even after recovery from infection. A pre-pubescent child would not know if they are unable to achieve erection until they were older and for the latter presumably a parent would notice and alert a pediatrician but they may ignore it and assume the child was self-exploring. If effects to the internal pudendal artery are permanent, it is entirely possible this would impact fertility. It would also likely be a very small percent of the population that had this side effect, but again, a small percent of a large group is still a massive impact with major economic and social implications.

It's a vascular disease. A vascular side effect is not a "doom fantasy."

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dear Watson posted:

same cause i had it in march, how do i die
please post

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tagra posted:

Has this one been posted here yet:

Eating slightly cooked chicken and getting salmonella to own the libs

EDIT: I have no clue if he's being serious or not, Poe's Law is wonky these days.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dear Watson posted:

I would also like to know this. How do you even know if you have blood clots? I assume its a hospital thing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wyoak posted:

i'm not assuming anything, I'm calling out wild predictions like "what if covid makes all the children infertile," which is about as likely as it turning deadlier and ripping through the previously uninfected population. There are theories that postulate that's why the Spanish Flu was so deadly for younger people, older populations had maybe been exposed to a similar but milder strain earlier in their lives so their immune systems were better prepared for the 1919 variant

both could happen, neither is probable, maybe just pay attention to actual research instead of fantasycrafting worst-case scenarios

what kind of research do you imagine tells us the long-term effects of a virus that infected humans for the first time less than a year ago?

It's not uncommon for viruses to cause long-term issues, sometimes even many years after the infection "ended", and it's not a "wild prediction" to say that we don't yet understand whether this coronavirus may cause long-term side effects.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Lazyhound posted:

Did a dry run with KN95 respirator + face shield. The latter I barely noticed, the elastic straps on the mask are ear-manglers though

ok “mangler” wasn’t hyperbole, I have one radar ear now

I managed to get a 3M half-mask, but I can’t find P100 filters in stock anywhere locally. Anyone know of a Canadian vendor that has them in stock?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, I ordered the KN95s from Bona Fide Masks, and the ear elastics are super short. It's fine but you do need to order behind-the-head mask extenders (from another company) to go with them.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, I ordered the KN95s from Bona Fide Masks, and the ear elastics are super short. It's fine but you do need to order behind-the-head mask extenders (from another company) to go with them.

Or get the ones with straps round your head because those are the best kind of straps

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
These were supposed to be that style, that's what's on the package

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I need to get into the fake KN95 mask business

:coronatoot:

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Zugzwang posted:

A family friend (smart person with medical training) is flying soon. Her approach is going to be to gown up bigtime in the closest thing to a hazmat suit that she can, including gloves, an N95, a face shield, etc. While in the plane, she won't eat or drink anything or otherwise disturb the mask. I imagine it will be a pretty boring flight because she also won't be doing much except sitting there. Once she lands, she's removing the PPE at the airport, sanitizing herself as much as is reasonably possible, and showering/sequestering her airplane clothes/showering again as soon as she is able to do so.

I'm going to fly from CT to CA, thru Philly, for a surgical revision that is very important in a couple weeks. And I'm suiting up much like your friend- bunny suit, face shield, hairnet, gloves, our best masks, maybe goggles, and not eating or drinking. It's going to be hell and even more hellish on our way back when I'm nursing badly pained junk And trying not to get a deadly disease (again. I had c. Diff the first time somehow). I have to take covid-19 when I get to Cali and if I am positive then there goes my shot at a revision so I got to be extra loving careful. gently caress bottom surgery and gently caress Marci Bower.

Anyone else have flying tips and tricks, experience??

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Lazyhound posted:

ok “mangler” wasn’t hyperbole, I have one radar ear now

I managed to get a 3M half-mask, but I can’t find P100 filters in stock anywhere locally. Anyone know of a Canadian vendor that has them in stock?

Do you have any paint/autobody supply stores nearby? Canada Tire may even have them.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
CT definitely doesn’t, I can try calling paint shops I guess.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Eating slightly cooked chicken and getting salmonella to own the libs

EDIT: I have no clue if he's being serious or not, Poe's Law is wonky these days.

I assumed it was a satirical allegory (citing "freedom cafe" and all) to show how ridiculous anti-masker arguments are... but it was an assumption :ohdear:

I was saying back in loving 2016 that we need to rename Poe's Law to Trump's Law and I stand by it.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Anne Whateley posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry. They had behind-the-head straps when I ordered last month. Have you contacted them about what you received?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Speaking of CT like a third of UIs customers are without power thanks to the tropical storm today. I don't know how we will sleep with this heat. Luckily I got a mediocre sandwich at Cumberland Farms and my switch is charged and have like 1.5 PSP batteries charged and I have weed and Klonopin. And I don't have covid yet.

Real talk I hope all the goons who have checked in over the pages of this thread with covid are safe and healthy by now. <3 hail Satan