Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Zaphod42 posted:

At least The Library you just sprint through it, as much as it is copy & pasted hallways.;

Like right up until some flood with human weapons chip through your shields. Or all the parts where you have to stand around and defend doors. Or when they just show up with rocket launchers and gib you or when the carrier forms just chain react and land next to you and and and

basically gently caress that level. The ranged forms in 3 are bullshit stupid but at least Cortana has cover and energy swords to chunk through stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Johnson was popular before Halo's release. IIRC they liked Scully's delivery so much they had him record more dialogue for events and stuff. This is also why they made him a thing after the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfhkPcCGbLE

It seems it started with ripping off Apone from Aliens into writing him into everything because Dave Scully is just too good.

side note: I've been doing a co-op (had a few disconnects and some unplayable lag here and there but nothing like the repeat offences mentioned in this thread) run of CE with a friend who hasn't played it since the original Xbox days. When Johnson showed up on Halo he was like "oh hey its Johnson" and I just shot him in the head. I made a point of doing it whenever he shows up because we're playing on Legendary so he's going to be in the ending cinematic and die there too. He even spawned on the Guilty Spark level at the end lol.

I think he can spawn
Halo (scripted for dialogue)
Truth and Reconciliation from drop ships
Assault on the Control Room (scripted)
343 Guilty Spark (at the end)
and then end cinemanic.

Otherwise it spawns the other Sergeant, Stacker, who in my opinion is just as good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least in the library its a flat plane with only a main elevation and the occasional dip into the tunnel sections. You dont have flood dropping from the ceiling or turret flood parking their rear end on a pillar across the room

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"at least the level design is really boring"

there's only one room in Cortana that's really bad, the one big tall room with a ton of pure form flood that park themselves on the walls. the rest of it goes pretty quick, and does not contain rocket launcher/shotgun flood

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

IronicDongz posted:

there's only one room in Cortana that's really bad, the one big tall room with a ton of pure form flood that park themselves on the walls. the rest of it goes pretty quick, and does not contain rocket launcher/shotgun flood

When you're dealing with degrees if bad the least bad is preferable to the most.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cortana is a bad level because it has the most stupid dialogue breaks. it is so annoying

that said you also get the Arbiters best moment in H3, just rocking up to get away with you on a pelican because he's the ultimate BFF

unrelated but tbh I am all aboard for the Brute drop pods in Infinite. the giant flaming jets and mad max chaotic vibes made me happy

also Stacker is definitely just as good as Johnson. he's been my firefight voice forever!

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I hate the Library more than Cortana. The library is just so drat repetitive. The Dialogue breaks don't actually bother me all that much in Cortana. The turret flood are really annoying, but at least the level isn't the same hallway over and over again.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I used to run through the Library on Legendary for the challenge so I'm obviously a bit broke-brained. To me Cortana is the much worse level. gently caress those twisty corridors and turret flood all over the walls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alf_pogs posted:

unrelated but tbh I am all aboard for the Brute drop pods in Infinite. the giant flaming jets and mad max chaotic vibes made me happy

They're cool but its literally 343 copying Bungie again because they have no original ideas at all (that aren't terrible like prometheans or guardians)

Infinite looks like so much Destiny its crazy. The big bad guy is literally Ghaul from vanilla Destiny 2 campaign, he has the SAME voice, and the Brute drop pods are 100% Cabal knockoffs.

Straight up just copying Bungie's homework again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He comes super close to stealing Destiny's tagline too lol

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

Cortana absolutely does contain shotgun Flood. Died to them often enough in my LASO run. The player may have the Halo 3 shotgun, but on legendary, the Flood have the Halo 1 shotgun. They look at you and you die.

TBH I don't really get the hate for rocket Flood. I love fighting them. They're hilarious and don't appear often enough to be annoying.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How much free reign do 343 have with the Halo franchise anyway? Presumably Microsoft have a big say on what can and can't be changed and i can see them being pretty strict with "changing the formula".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kin posted:

How much free reign do 343 have with the Halo franchise anyway? Presumably Microsoft have a big say on what can and can't be changed and i can see them being pretty strict with "changing the formula".

343 IS Microsoft.

Bonnie Ross is corporate vice president of xbox or whatever. She's got total reign to see terrible ideas through.

Also if 343 wasn't Microsoft's pet studio I have a feeling they'd be shut down by now. No other game studio is allowed to put out 3 complete disaster flops in a row, much less their first 3 shipped titles being complete disasters with no track record of success. But Microsoft cares about the Halo brand so hey here's another $50 million to go blow on Infinite, have fun.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 5, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Infinite looks like so much Destiny its crazy.

I had this feeling to. Especially with how they talked about how they wanted to just keep adding more content to halo infinite instead of releasing more halo games. It feels like Destiny expansions.

The problem is I didn't like destiny. If I wanted to play destiny I would go play destiny. I don't. I want to play Halo with it's designed linear levels, no open world filler content and arena based multiplayer.

I'm not against innovation, but it seems like a lot of what 343 has done has been more of a "everyone else is doing it" kind of thing as opposed to something that think would actually benefit the world and game experience.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

No other game studio is allowed to put out 3 complete disaster flops in a row,
?????

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how they make so much money but I never hear anybody talking about Halo and even when they do they never have anything good to say about the new stuff. Who's buying Halo still?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Like right up until some flood with human weapons chip through your shields. Or all the parts where you have to stand around and defend doors. Or when they just show up with rocket launchers and gib you or when the carrier forms just chain react and land next to you and and and

Fun bit about that, I think the combat forms firing the way they do with human weapons in CE is a remnant of an earlier control scheme. At a certain point a few months before release, the AR and the Plasma Rifle were trigger-sensitive. So if you held it down you'd fire a full inaccurate spread, but if you lightly tapped the trigger it would fire more accurately but more slowly- just as the combat forms do.

TheGreySpectre posted:

The problem is I didn't like destiny. If I wanted to play destiny I would go play destiny. I don't. I want to play Halo with it's designed linear levels, no open world filler content and arena based multiplayer.

Yeah I get this... I was never into the multiplayer stuff big time and Destiny just missed piquing my interest entirely. With 343's track record I can see the content vacuum Destiny had happening in Infinite as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

It's funny how they make so much money but I never hear anybody talking about Halo and even when they do they never have anything good to say about the new stuff. Who's buying Halo still?

Lot of people bought 4 and 5 at launch on the name of Halo, but then stopped playing after like 2 months.

Spartan Ops was supposed to be a multi-year thing, everything was "season 1", and then... they never made season 2. But its not because people hated spartan ops (okay it was pretty meh) it was because nobody was playing Halo anymore.

Yeah, they sold. Off the IP. But they were massive hits to the IP, and have nearly completely devalued it. You can't just look at those numbers in a bottle.

I mean, they made money, but they made money in the way that abusive mobile games make money. Most people felt ripped off. We'll see how much that hurts Infinite, although game studios are often able to get away with that poo poo for a long time.

TheGreySpectre posted:

I had this feeling to. Especially with how they talked about how they wanted to just keep adding more content to halo infinite instead of releasing more halo games. It feels like Destiny expansions.

I'm not against innovation, but it seems like a lot of what 343 has done has been more of a "everyone else is doing it" kind of thing as opposed to something that think would actually benefit the world and game experience.

Yeah I agree. Destiny already exists, and 343 is supposed to be making Halo games, but they seem to keep chasing trends in other popular FPS instead.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I wish Halo 3 MP had some variations of modes where you started with covenant weapons. Like I would love if some games in precision slayer you started with a BR, but other games you started with a carbine. Or some Slayer games you start with an AR others, you start with a PR.

I think would just be cool to see the covenant weapons get more use, and add a little variety without really actually changing the balance of the game.

Then again what can I say, I just like covenant weapons. I love my bright and shiny sci-fi with pew pew sounds and flashing lights.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Halo 5 MP apparently did really well and still makes good numbers years after release.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Forget it Jake, it's Zaphod.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Forget it Jake, it's Zaphod.

Seriously? How much H5 are you still playing? There is literally 0 posting going on about H5 on these forums, compared to all the many other FPS which are wildly popular right now.

If you want to not be a dick about it you can say "Hey Halo 5 may have been pretty unpopular but it still made enough money that you can't really call it a flop" which is fine but gently caress off with this attitude Mordja

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think once an IP gets to a certain level of cultural saturation it becomes almost difficult to not make large sums of money by selling more of it just based off brand recognition. I mean barring full scale civilization collapse there are still going to be clusters of nerds in first world countries hording Star Wars/Trek/Transformers/Marvel/DC figures for decades to come at least, no matter how much crappy material getting released may dilute general interest. Halo was quite A Thing for a while there in the 2000's and may have hit that critical mass to continue indefinitely.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously? How much H5 are you still playing? There is literally 0 posting going on about H5 on these forums, compared to all the many other FPS which are wildly popular right now.
None of that really matters, you called their games "complete disaster flops" which is demonstrably untrue. that's like, what you would call a game that didn't even make back half its budget. they made a lot of fuckin money off those games and it's not surprising that 343 gets to keep making halo, even if they weren't part of microsoft.

It's also obvious that they're changing their angle considering how infinite is going straight for oldschool halo nostalgia instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, which I'm sure was influenced by the success of MCC and the relatively small sales of halo 5.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 5, 2020

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I feel like I generally see positive things about H5 multiplayer at least compared to H4. Granted as a person who mostly plays for the campaign, the complaints I heard about the campaign led led me not to buy it. If wikipedia is to be believed though it still sold pretty well with several million copies sold. I think that while it was disappointing in many ways it was still quite profitable.

I think while 343's games have generally not really been appreciated by the fanbase they have still been quite financially successful. So while we may hate what they're doing and may consider their games flops in that regard, they have still made a lot of money. Even if that money is riding on the coattails of bungie, it's still not like they are making games that are barely breaking even or losing money.

Zaphod42 posted:

I would like to point out that Halo 5 is 5 years old at this point. Most games from 5 years ago aren't getting a ton of posting.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 5, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, I don't like a lot of stuff about halo 5 but 4 was truly the nadir. playing on the remake of valhalla with all vehicles getting shredded by hitscan rifles even worse than in reach, that everyone spawns in with due to their loadouts(and everyone has the perk to reduce flinching when getting shot), except for the mantis' which are always camping by both team's bases due to having regenerating shields... truly depressing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Four had one of the best campaigns in the series and five had probably the most loved multiplayer since the halcyon days of 2/3 (and remember, 3 was overshadowed by the CoD explosion). Even ignoring money, it’s hard to call the 343 games flops. They’ve both done something really well.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Let's be honest here, even if Halo Infinite is bad it still won't flop. There is too much marketing behind it, too much history with the serious and none of the previous games have been bad enough to drive that many people away. The amount of players hoping that it will be good is too high especially with the "return to roots" marketing.

I feel like the devs really need to sit down and figure out what Halo is. Like really nail down what those elements are that made the first 3 halo games so popular and fun (both for MP and SP). Double down on and refine those elements and cut the other poo poo out. This was something I felt like iD did with DOOM in 2016 and part of why the game was so good. It's what Halo should be doing now instead of adding open world, grappling hooks and weapons that look like they are out of COD.

General Battuta posted:

Four had one of the best campaigns in the series.

I felt like they story with Chief and Cortana was well done in 4 but a lot of the other stuff was lacking. The new enemies weren't as much fun to fight, the levels weren't as memorable and it was just missing a lot of subtleties to really bring it home. Because of this, for me, while the story was good I still found the campaign overall sub par to the campaigns of any of the original 3. And while I've replayed the campaigns from the original 3 an unhealthy amount of times, I don't have the desire to go and replay 4 again at all.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 5, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Four will benefit a lot from a few simple balance mods to make more weapons viable, turn off the perma-Famine effect, and soften up the Prometheans a bit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Halo Infinite will sell by sheer benefit of being the only big, first-party launch game for the Xbox Sex, even if it's arguably really a XBone title.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Also you have guys like me who skipped out on 5 because he didn't buy an xbone, who's excited to play Halo again, and while the concept of open-world Halo is frightening to long-time fans (including myself), being able to play an open world halo campaign in multiplayer with friends and goof off with warthog jumps on the way to a mission area sounds appealing. I loved ODST's city exploration, and I'm interested to see if there's any parallels with the formula in Infinite. I'm in total agreement that the graphics don't look representative of whatever they're trying to sell the sexbox as capable of, and I do have some reservations about some aspects shown so far, but let's be honest: How many of you are still going to buy it in some form, especially with it coming to PC? I'd be willing to bet a majority of this thread still will despite our reservations about it and 343's capabilities, and so with all the other people who'll pick it up since it's also on PC. I'm not trying to pull a modern-warfare-2-dedicated-servers.jpg here, but I think Infinite is going to sell just fine, and I'm still excited for it in spite of everything.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Even if they're taking cues from Destiny they can't gently caress it up too bad, because what makes Destiny not fun is all the dumb MMO bullshit. As long as there aren't health bars with numbers flying out of enemies when you shoot them, and a million different weapons that are all pretty boring, it won't change the Halo formula too much, because Halo is designed around fun and engaging combat encounters, and Destiny is designed around Number Go Up.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

yeah I'm not really worried in the slightest about graphics so none of that outrage matters in the slightest to me. The game looked fun to play and there's a few things about modern Halo that seem kinda interesting since I never played 4 or 5.

Warzone seemed pretty neat, for instance! and, uh. and how 'bout that Warzone!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Four had one of the best campaigns in the series

this is a wild, wild take. I'd rank it dead last in the MCC, easy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Accidental double, curse my fat fingers

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sales wise it’s also important to note that there are folks who exist outside of these forums. The handful of people here who dunk on H4 and H5 don’t represent the whole picture.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Looking at those number though, Halo 5 selling less than CE and even ODST is TERRIBLE - especially after having such a large initial launch; it just shows the falloff was massive.

Plus, "the fastest selling Xbox one exclusive to date" isn't much of an accolade, I mean it beat Sunset overdrive and uh... *google searches* Forza?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering what a joke the Xbox exclusives library is compared to anyone else that is definitely damning with faint praise.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Halo 2 and 3 were goddamn cultural phenomenons. Sure Halo still makes money but it doesn't break into pop-culture like it did back in the day. I highly doubt the series is attracting new fans, just those of us with heavy glasses of nostalgia..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
The MCC release on PC probably brought in a bunch of people like me who played 1 and maybe 2 on PC back in the day, and have now had a blast playing through them all on the MCC. Probably wouldn't have cared at all about Infinite otherwise. More hyped about getting to try ODST though, and maybe Spartan Ops.