Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Celery seed is magic, by the way. Try it on steaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

All egg dishes should contain celery seed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Celery seed is the biggest flavor in Old Bay, which is amazing on a surprising number of things, including wings and popcorn

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

me your dad posted:

I skipped straight to the vodka.

Make bloody marys with gin, thank me later.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
I asked one of my kids to give me a fruit or vegetable to try out. Dragon fruit was the answer. What's a close flavor and cooking profile to this semi obscure fruit?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pirc posted:

I asked one of my kids to give me a fruit or vegetable to try out. Dragon fruit was the answer. What's a close flavor and cooking profile to this semi obscure fruit?

Honestly in my experience dragonfruit look super cool but taste like nothing. Most disappointing fruit out there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

Honestly in my experience dragonfruit look super cool but taste like nothing. Most disappointing fruit out there.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Grand Fromage posted:

Well my kids are used to disappointment. Thanks!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I currently have 2 eggs and a carton of egg whites. I also have a cookie recipe calling for one egg, an Irish bangers recipe calling for 2 eggs, and a hot dog bun recipe calling for an egg wash.

I'm thinking use one egg for the cookies, one egg plus some white for the sausage, and olive oil wash on the hot dog buns. Best use of my current egg situation?

For the record I'm only freezing the bangers and not eating them in the hot dog buns.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am looking into recommendations for air fryers as a potential gadget to do stuff like easy chicken wings, veggie roasting, cooking all the frozen garbage poo poo my wife buys for the kids, and reheating home-made stuff like fish tacos/chicken. I would prefer to get something that isn't just a "put frozen tater tots in and get slightly healthier versions of fried food out." We are a family of four. If we could eventually ditch our microwave with something like a combo fryer/toaster and using our range for the odd melt job, that would be ideal so I could install a range hood.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds like you need one of those new toaster ovens that have the convection setting that lets them double as an air fryer. Never used one but I hear they’re great.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the difference between an air fryer and a convection oven is that gross margin in an air fryer is like 50% and gross margin for a convection oven is like 20%. moves the profit margin and ebitda quite a bit

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz

Human Tornada posted:

I currently have 2 eggs and a carton of egg whites. I also have a cookie recipe calling for one egg, an Irish bangers recipe calling for 2 eggs, and a hot dog bun recipe calling for an egg wash.

I'm thinking use one egg for the cookies, one egg plus some white for the sausage, and olive oil wash on the hot dog buns. Best use of my current egg situation?

For the record I'm only freezing the bangers and not eating them in the hot dog buns.
You can brush milk on your bread and get a similar crust on your bread. YMMV.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I want to try my hand at making soya chicken (See Yao Gai).

I'm planning to use this recipe: https://thewoksoflife.com/soy-sauce-chicken/

and I would like to preserve the cooking liquid afterward.

Plan is to let it boil for 15 minutes after chicken is removed (not sure if this is necessary), strain out big chunks (star anise, ginger, etc), refrigerate, remove fat layer, and then freeze.

My big question is whether or not the freezing is a good idea or if there are any potential problems with that.

I've heard the liquid can (and should, for flavor) be used over and over again. But I'm nervous about bacteria and all that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FaradayCage posted:

I want to try my hand at making soya chicken (See Yao Gai).

I'm planning to use this recipe: https://thewoksoflife.com/soy-sauce-chicken/

and I would like to preserve the cooking liquid afterward.

Plan is to let it boil for 15 minutes after chicken is removed (not sure if this is necessary), strain out big chunks (star anise, ginger, etc), refrigerate, remove fat layer, and then freeze.

My big question is whether or not the freezing is a good idea or if there are any potential problems with that.

I've heard the liquid can (and should, for flavor) be used over and over again. But I'm nervous about bacteria and all that.

You are describing Master Stock and it is indeed a thing. Your instincts are correct on boiling and straining the stock after use. Cool it quickly and freeze it. Every time you use it bring it back to a boil and add more aromats and water. Properly cared for a master stock can last years and get incredibly flavourful.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's like the soup version of a sourdough starter

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's the opposite of a sourdough starter, really. For a starter, you want all sorts of wee beasties to be living in it. But for master stock, you want it to be sterile.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's the opposite of a sourdough starter, really. For a starter, you want all sorts of wee beasties to be living in it. But for master stock, you want it to be sterile.

I think forums user poo poo POST MALONE was really referring to the incremental increase in the flavor and complexity over time you get from a sourdough starter and how a master stock would develop much the same way, rather than regarding microbial content.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
While true, I just wanted to be sure that nobody would see their master stock bubbling in the fridge and think "oh hay this is good!"

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a tilt head kitchen aid mixer that likes to jump around when doing dough. I did some googling and there was mention of a loose hinge pin. If I can easily wiggle the mixer head when locked in place and not moving is that the most likely culprit? How tight should this be? Should there be any give when locked in place?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there should be very little play in it, and that’s probably the cause of your problem. If you ever need to replace it, get the lift bowl model.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What would be some good beginner recipes to do?

I'm making cooking a new goal to learn on lockdown, and my previous experience is just hot dogs and spaghetti

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What do you like? Start there.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Making rice, and stir fry is a good starter thing. YouTube is also your friend. But as someone said - what do you like to eat?

With rice, you can start out with plain, dress it up by making it with broth, try brown, white, short and long grain, and it's pretty versatile.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Roth posted:

I'm making cooking a new goal to learn on lockdown, and my previous experience is just hot dogs and spaghetti

The Stone Soup Cookbook has super simple recipes if you are starting from scratch.

There are also resources like this that list a bunch of 'easy' recipes, so you can go through and see what feels accessible.

As others say, it depends what you like. It also depends how long you want to spend and what ingredients you can access easily. The best way to learn how to cook is to follow recipes and then make small tweaks when you feel confident with something but wish it could be different. It's also a good idea to taste whole herbs and spices so you can get an idea of what they will add to a dish, bearing in mind that the flavour will be less pronounced when it's in with other ingredients.

This may be controversial, but I know a bunch of people have been inspired to learn how to cook from watching Nat's What I Reckon videos.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Also no matter what you go with - use your senses. Something may say "8 minutes until softened" but if it still looks raw keep going (and note that your stove runs a little cold vs this recipe author's). If the noodle time says it's done, pull a strand and test the texture. Taste for salt, which makes other flavors pop.

You can also start riffing on store bought "finished" dishes. Squirt a lemon on a salad. Add your favorite extra topping to frozen pizza. This will mimic the last step of any real recipe - taste and adjust!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep OP, just ask yourself: What would forums user BrianBoitano do?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I'm a big proponent of cooking with what you've got. Instead of going out and dropping tons of money on new cookware and groceries that you've never used before, start building on what you already know and use.

I'd also recommend paying attention to technique. There's tons of different cooking techniques and they (almost) all lend different flavor profiles. Example: Saute and stir-fry are really similar in concept, but yield different results. If you're sauteing, you're relying on your pan to do the heating of the food. A stir fry is letting the pan heat the oil, and the oil heats the food. The result is that sauteed food will have "toastier" edges, while stir fried food will be more uniformly cooked.

DO NOT LET YOURSELF BE DAUNTED BY THE HUNDREDS OF TECHNIQUES.

There is very little you can do in cooking that will make food inedible. You can make it sub-par - but outside of outright burning it, undercooking it to where it's raw, or adding so much salt it's a health hazard - it's really difficult to gently caress something up so badly that it's destiny is the trash bin.

As you learn technique, you'll be able to improvise in the kitchen, and be much less reliant on recipes. This is a good thing because it will save you beau-coup money in the long run. Instead of saying "I want to make coleslaw, so I need to go buy cabbage, and mayonnaise, and...", you can look in the fridge and say "I've got these broccoli stems, and some carrots, and some eggs, and vinegar, and oil...I can make coleslaw."

So with that said, what's in your fridge, and what kind of cooking equipment do you have already? If you give us a quick pantry-and-pan list, I'm sure we can come up with some simple dishes that you can practice on.

Bollock Monkey posted:

This may be controversial, but I know a bunch of people have been inspired to learn how to cook from watching Nat's What I Reckon videos.

If nothing else, I've seen this guy mention "Wood or plastic utensils on metal pans, never metal utensils on metal pans" a few times. That's sound advice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Use metal tools on whatever you want, just be careful? The idea that a stainless steel pan is going to get ruined by using a wire whisk or a metal spatula in it is a weird one I don’t understand where it came from.

E: the only reason not to use metal utensils, to me, would be aesthetics, because you can scratch the metal. it’s just minor and inconsequential.

Yes you can use metal tools on non-stick and I do it all the time. It’s a strongly adhered coating that itself is pretty strong, and if you scratch it just replace the pan. In my opinion if you’d be sad you scratched a non-stick then you probably spent too much on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think you should be too overprotective of teflon pans because they don't last that long anyway and you should just get cheap ones, but you probably also shouldn't actively scratch them up with metal utensils. You also don't necessarily want to be eating teflon you've scraped off the pan, even though it's theoretically pretty inert unless you've used excessive heat.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Get a decent knife and passable cutting board if you don't already have them. Nothing else in terms of kitchen equipment will make you hate cooking more than a lovely dull knife that turns food prep into torture. I'm not sure what the entry level recommendation is these days but it doesn't have to be very expensive. There's a knife thread here that can probably help

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Roth posted:

I had the cooking skills of a child when 2020 started and now I'm a pretty good home cook (and an okay baker). Like everybody else said, it depends on what you like. What's your favorite takeout meal? See if you can make it at home.

There are a million cooking videos for every dish imaginable, but if I want to make X meal, I usually start by checking if Food Wishes has a video on it. His recipes are simple and concise, and he doesn't waste your time loving around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysExIzN9fQ

(Also this salad tastes great and requires zero skill and no actual cooking. Try it!)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The first thing I would recommend is doing this recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Reasons:

1) it's stupidly easy
2) almost everyone likes pizza
3) it tastes just like a deep dish pizza from Pizza Hut in 1993

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Flunky posted:

Get a decent knife and passable cutting board if you don't already have them. Nothing else in terms of kitchen equipment will make you hate cooking more than a lovely dull knife that turns food prep into torture. I'm not sure what the entry level recommendation is these days but it doesn't have to be very expensive. There's a knife thread here that can probably help

IIRC it's still the Victorinox Fibrox. They're not quite as cheap as they used to be, but still ~30 bucks for a stainless chef's knife with a nigh indestructible handle. Good first knife for someone who wants a kitchen tool they don't have to maintain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Flunky posted:

Yeah this. Measure your sink and get the biggest decent board you can find that will fit in it without being an enormous pain to wash, and get a nice sharp knife.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks for all the responses. My brother is going to start guiding me next week.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I have 1-1.2kg hunks of beef that I need to eat. Every time I try to defrost one by just leaving it in the fridge, the joint stays solid for days on end. Is there a reliable way to thoroughly defrost such big bits of beef or do I just need to fridge them for ages and be ready to cook when they seem less like ice blocks?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sous vide if small enough

roasting incredibly slowly in oven from frozen if too big

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Anyone have recommendations for a good (emphasis on easy to clean!) Food dehydrator? My CSA this year has an apple add on... 7lbs a week. Lots of different brands and styles it seems now. Had a roommate who made fruit leather and I recall her set up being a pain to wash.

Tangent - can you smoke apples, or would that be gross?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Bollock Monkey posted:

I have 1-1.2kg hunks of beef that I need to eat. Every time I try to defrost one by just leaving it in the fridge, the joint stays solid for days on end. Is there a reliable way to thoroughly defrost such big bits of beef or do I just need to fridge them for ages and be ready to cook when they seem less like ice blocks?

Also, on the off chance - Instant Pot does great with frozen meat, so long as you can fit it in there.