Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s for some yearly training I have to listen to that doesn’t auto play and it’s divided into literally hundreds of clips.

I’d rather use some wireless headphones than sit at my desk babysitting the “next” button.

E: And they definitely wouldn’t know or care.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Klyith posted:

If you are using HDMI output, what is that then feeding that into? Because there are many devices & receivers that have limited sample rate support, and my guess is that your decade-old games are playing low-sample rate audio (a common trick in old games before they had the CPU power to use better formats like ogg), and for some reason instead of being resampled through HDMI it's going to the more compatible sound card.
Ah, now I go into device manager, it looks like I disabled the audio outputs but not the drivers, so that might make the difference. But nope, disabling all the other drivers still has the same outcome.

quote:

This panel shows you what formats the HDMI supports:

Where do you find that panel? It looks like a device manager panel, but all my audio properties in device manager just have General/Driver/Details/Events tabs.
(Under either of "Audio inputs and outputs" or "Sound, video and game controllers".)

Edit: Ah, found it, obviously you get there by running "control.exe mmsys.cpl" because Windows 10 hides all control panels as hard as it can. Still no luck though. :(

Does seem likely it's the issue you suggest, HDMI has only supported sample rates 32.0, 44.1 and 48.0kHz. Maybe I can fix this by piping it through Voicemeeter Banana.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 31, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If any of you guys use chromium-edge; you’ve probably noticed it now crashes when you try and type anything in the URL bar. This is caused by some change google has made that edge hasn’t been adapted to yet; you can prevent it from happening by switching your default search engine away from google; or by disabling search suggestions.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The Lord Bude posted:

If any of you guys use chromium-edge; you’ve probably noticed it now crashes when you try and type anything in the URL bar. This is caused by some change google has made that edge hasn’t been adapted to yet; you can prevent it from happening by switching your default search engine away from google; or by disabling search suggestions.

Bing supremacy strikes again

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

roomforthetuna posted:

Does seem likely it's the issue you suggest, HDMI has only supported sample rates 32.0, 44.1 and 48.0kHz. Maybe I can fix this by piping it through Voicemeeter Banana.
Haha, quite the opposite! I reinstalled Voicemeeter, made it the default output, made the Voicemeeter mixer redirect that default output to the HDMI, made some system pings to check all that was working, then tried running one of the problem games. Neither the cutscenes nor the game proper made any sound, then when I exited the game, system pings wouldn't make any sound either until I re-selected the output device in Voicemeeter, then sound would resume.

Repeated several times to verify that this is what was happening. Turned off "exclusive" for the Voicemeeter input. When the system pings aren't making any sound I can still see them raising an indicator bar in Voicemeeter's mixer.

I think the eventual conclusion is the HDMI device is just a bit poo poo, so I've plugged my headphones into the built-in speakers instead, which is a bit less physically convenient but at least it works. Thanks for helping me diagnose it better!

Edit: Oh, yeah, also in evidence for the HDMI device being poo poo, if I select the WDM output to HDMI in Voicemeeter when it's working, system pings turn into some kind of horrible clicky grinding sound like the ping played at half speed with randomly distributed stutters throughout. Whereas WDM to the laptop's own speakers sounds the same as the other kind of output.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Maybe you're having surround sound mapping issues? Are you running the games in stereo mode and/or configuring Voicemeeter's output mix?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bing supremacy strikes again

Unironically I have Bing as my default so I hadn't hit this error. Broken clocks, etc.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

Ha ha I wish! No, that's my main display. Also have a 20" secondary, one of the indestructible dell WFPs that's like 12 years old

I have one of those, it's now retired in the box as a spare, but I once discovered in the service menu that the power on hour timer had maxed out Its counter at. 65535, so I noted the date and reset the timer. It'd probably do the same again, if I was using it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whatever the issue was with google and edge it’s fixed now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Medullah posted:

Yeah it's dumb but it's Microsoft. Dig for the email from your purchase and you might get lucky.

Just to circle back... I had started the Office 2016 install until I realized that I didn't have access to the product key, and I canceled it. Never got past the 'We're downloading Office, please wait' stage.

Somehow between then and now, Office 2016 was downloaded/installed/activated on the original license. Not sure how it worked but I'll take it!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did you log into your Microsoft account in Windows?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LRADIKAL posted:

Did you log into your Microsoft account in Windows?

Yep. I'm guessing at some point after my (relatively) fresh install, it synced up with my Microsoft account and identified the previous install of Office 2016 on this device and finished the installation and activation.

The seemingly weird thing is that it's not associated with my Microsoft account on the 'Microsoft Services and Subscriptions' page. Office 2016 is no where to be found there. Either way, I'll take the win.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is undoubtedly a stupid question ( I have many! I'll start with this one though) but I've been using a Mac for over 15 years and Windows is pretty alien to me, so bear with me. I bought a laptop for gaming a week ago and I've downloaded maybe 8 games for it, none of them is over 35 gigs and most are way less. I haven't really done anything else on the laptop except download every proprietary app that every game seems to need to launch (rockstar launcher, steam VR Battle.net etc) . Somehow my entire 256 gb SSD is full and my 1TB HDD has 600 gigs used on it.

When I look at them individually I don't even know how to manage all of the pre installed files along with everything I've installed on there and it just seems like a nightmare to manage. It looks like it's tried to install everything on both drives as well. I assume I pulled off some critical failure in setting this thing up so I am just wondering I did wrong and how to fix it/manage it in the future in some way that doesn't involve pouring through every file on the computer. tia.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you’re asking how to uninstall stuff; games are typically managed from their respective launchers - steam, etc - and everything else from settings/apps.

I’m not familiar with all the various launchers but steam at least should be putting everything on the same drive - your aim should be to install apps and games on the SSD and use the other hard drive for bulk storage etc. Steam and similar storefront apps usually have an option in their settings for where to install stuff.

Your main issue though is that 256gb is a pretty minuscule size for a drive. Plenty of games are tens of gigabytes these days.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://windirstat.net/ is a fantastic tool to get a quick grasp of what exactly is eating up all your disk space. Depending on what it shows you might be able to get more specific advice.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Get an app that provides an overview of what's taking up space on the drive. WinDirStat is pretty simple and free.

A blank installation of Windows takes up around 50 gb but it can vary depending on updates and what MS apps are installed. I've seen them bloat up to over 100 GB.

E: For the the best performance, install windows and games on the SSD and store everything else on the hard disk. Assuming a 256GB ssd, you'll be pretty limited in how many (recent, huge) games you can have installed.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 5, 2020

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

https://windirstat.net/ is a fantastic tool to get a quick grasp of what exactly is eating up all your disk space. Depending on what it shows you might be able to get more specific advice.

I used to use WinDirStat, but someone here sometime put me on to WizTree, which does the same job but a lot quicker.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GigaFuzz posted:

I used to use WinDirStat, but someone here sometime put me on to WizTree, which does the same job but a lot quicker.
Might have been me, I recommend that app every time I get the chance. It literally does in seconds what takes WinDirStat minutes. Use Wiztree.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Annoyingly it's seemingly $500 for business use

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fruits of the sea posted:

Get an app that provides an overview of what's taking up space on the drive. WinDirStat is pretty simple and free.

A blank installation of Windows takes up around 50 gb but it can vary depending on updates and what MS apps are installed. I've seen them bloat up to over 100 GB.

E: For the the best performance, install windows and games on the SSD and store everything else on the hard disk. Assuming a 256GB ssd, you'll be pretty limited in how many (recent, huge) games you can have installed.

Running the disk cleanup utility periodically can turn up dozens of gigs of update crap left lying around.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i use spacesniffer for disk space analysis. free and faster than windirstat

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

disk cleanup is always worth running after you do a big windows update. if your "blank" windows install is taking up 50gb or more half of that is probably a windows.old folder lying around

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NihilCredo posted:

Treesize is many times faster

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

veni veni veni posted:

This is undoubtedly a stupid question ( I have many! I'll start with this one though) but I've been using a Mac for over 15 years and Windows is pretty alien to me, so bear with me. I bought a laptop for gaming a week ago and I've downloaded maybe 8 games for it, none of them is over 35 gigs and most are way less. I haven't really done anything else on the laptop except download every proprietary app that every game seems to need to launch (rockstar launcher, steam VR Battle.net etc) . Somehow my entire 256 gb SSD is full and my 1TB HDD has 600 gigs used on it.

When I look at them individually I don't even know how to manage all of the pre installed files along with everything I've installed on there and it just seems like a nightmare to manage. It looks like it's tried to install everything on both drives as well. I assume I pulled off some critical failure in setting this thing up so I am just wondering I did wrong and how to fix it/manage it in the future in some way that doesn't involve pouring through every file on the computer. tia.

First up, don't worry about managing files. If you want to uninstall stuff, generally you'll go through the Add and Remove Programs control panel thing - hit start and type it, it should pop up. That's generally good for finding things by just typing what you're looking for, it can recognise keywords and even match to things like controls within a panel

Also the add/remove thing has a section that lets you add and remove Windows features, which is where you'd mess with preinstalled OS stuff

And yeah, 256GB really isn't a lot. You've got Windows files, space for any updates, installed programs, and then you've added games too - it all adds up, 32GB is like 12% of your total space (at best). You can try and get some space back by doing a disk cleanup (type it in the start menu, or "free space" or whatever) - by checking the "clean up system files" option you'll be able to remove more stuff, including any update files that might be around, depending on whether you got the latest version of Windows installed. It'll periodically clean up too (you can set what you'd like it to remove)

Otherwise it's a case of thing to tell things to install on your HDD. Steam will let you set up a library on there and automatically install to it, and if you have a library on each drive you can transfer between them, so you have what you're currently playing on your fast SSD. Other stuff you'll have to check in their preferences. Bear in mind, depending on the system some games might download in a big blob and then unpack, so that's almost double the space in use, and if they don't immediately clean up then that's even more space in use

Yeah, 256GB is pretty tight these days. Definitely have a look at TreeSize or whatever and see what's on that second drive though, just as a general overview - find out how you've managed to fill 600GB!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you only have 256GB, I would install every game to the HDD except for maybe your favoritist one.

I haven't been dealing with the issue in a while, but steam mover was a decent way to do so in the past.

https://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LRADIKAL posted:

If you only have 256GB, I would install every game to the HDD except for maybe your favoritist one.

I haven't been dealing with the issue in a while, but steam mover was a decent way to do so in the past.

https://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

I just ran into that issue (with my 120 GB SSD :cry:) and Steam has the functionality built in. Go to your game settings and select a new location for your local files. It was a snap.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm finding modern 7200 rpm drives are still effing fast. Like WD Blacks at least. I put a few games on my SSD, but rarely am I waiting for a load. The only thing I can really think of taking a while is Civ VI, and I feel like putting that on an SSD wouldn't make a huge difference.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It really makes a difference for things like games with a lot of map changes where you repeatedly load areas from the disk. Total War: Warhammer is a good example of that. Even with an SSD, loading from the strategic view to a real-time battle for-loving-ever, and you can have half a dozen of these in a single turn that all go through that same loading time, twice: once for entering the battle, once for leaving it. That's almost ten minutes of difference, easily.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it depends on the game, open world/games that stream a lot of data really like to be on SSDs rather than legacy HDDs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Round-based multiplayer games are often good ones to relegate to HDDs. Usually you're not going to start the match until everyone has loaded the map anyway, so a SSD will not save you any time as long as there's a single spinning-platter player in the lobby holding everyone back.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, there are a lot of games that don't really benefit from SSD loading speeds all that much, even just having really good memory management that avoids reloading assets from disk more than absolutely necessary can do a lot to make any gains marginal at best. When you want it, though, you tend to really want it. They're also becoming cheap enough that there's not really much of a reason to buy standard HDDs over SSDs in general anymore.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Unless you're a dummy like me with hundreds upon hundreds of gigs of games installed because you can never finish anything or decide what to play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the tips guys. I figured out that what happened was that my friend who sold me the laptop wiped the SSD but accidentally left like 600 gigs of games on the HDD, and since there was some crossover I had convinced myself it was saving them to both drives, and that I'd accidentally downloaded everything Battle.net has to offer somehow, despite only owning SC2. It was really confusing until I spotted his screen name in one of the files. After getting rid of his stuff, I have the SSD down to 190 gigs and have 900 free gigs on the HDD.

I just plan on keeping the 1-2 games I am currently playing at a time on the SSD.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 5, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

teethgrinder posted:

I'm finding modern 7200 rpm drives are still effing fast. Like WD Blacks at least. I put a few games on my SSD, but rarely am I waiting for a load. The only thing I can really think of taking a while is Civ VI, and I feel like putting that on an SSD wouldn't make a huge difference.

Absolutely not, HDDs are extremely slow.

teethgrinder posted:

Unless you're a dummy like me with hundreds upon hundreds of gigs of games installed because you can never finish anything or decide what to play.

Even 2 TB SSDs aren't that expensive these days, I have a 2 TB Intel 660p for my games.

NihilCredo posted:

Round-based multiplayer games are often good ones to relegate to HDDs. Usually you're not going to start the match until everyone has loaded the map anyway, so a SSD will not save you any time as long as there's a single spinning-platter player in the lobby holding everyone back.

This really depends on the game. Something like Battlefield 4 will start games as soon as a minimum number of players have loaded in, and with an HDD, loading times are many minutes longer than on an SSD.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lambert posted:

Absolutely not, HDDs are extremely slow.
A standard 7200 RPM drive can easily get reading or writing speeds in excess of 100MB/s per second. That might be extremely slow compared to something like a modern NVME drive, but on the other hand, how often do you really need a read speed of 3.5 gigabytes per second for anything?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cardiovorax posted:

how often do you really need a read speed of 3.5 gigabytes per second for anything?

Every second of every day

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

A standard 7200 RPM drive can easily get reading or writing speeds in excess of 100MB/s per second. That might be extremely slow compared to something like a modern NVME drive, but on the other hand, how often do you really need a read speed of 3.5 gigabytes per second for anything?

For one, that's slow by today's standards. But the real killer with HDDs are the extremely slow random access times. Even an old game like World of Warcraft Classic will load item textures and models noticeably sluggishly when running from an HDD.

Everything running from an HDD will always feel dog slow, there's no way around it. Random access is simply too important.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lambert posted:

For one, that's slow by today's standards. But the real killer with HDDs are the extremely slow random access times. Even an old game like World of Warcraft Classic will load item textures and models noticeably sluggishly when running from an HDD.

Everything running from an HDD will always feel dog slow, there's no way around it. Random access is simply too important.
Well, I can't disagree with that, although I do think that it's something that is a lot more true for certain use cases than for others. I rarely notice any particular sluggishness of that sort even in most games, because they tend to load things like that up-front and just keep it in memory. It's the big things that make it noticeable, not the small things you get when you're already in-game.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I can't disagree with that, although I do think that it's something that is a lot more true for certain use cases than for others. I rarely notice any particular sluggishness of that sort even in most games, because they tend to load things like that up-front and just keep it in memory. It's the big things that make it noticeable, not the small things you get when you're already in-game.

How many games these days load everything 100% in memory though? Tons of them load things as needed off of the drive and HDDs will def. give you worse performance there and it will affect FPS and all that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Last Chance posted:

How many games these days load everything 100% in memory though? Tons of them load things as needed off of the drive and HDDs will def. give you worse performance there and it will affect FPS and all that
I mean, most I could think of off the top of my hat, probably, but that says more about the genre of the type of game I tend to play than anything. In a big open world game that is heavy on detailed models and textures you want an SSD, no question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

teethgrinder posted:

Loading or between turns? Between turns is almost 100% CPU