Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

So I'm playing Arkham Knight and apparently there's no way to actually check what all the combos are? I went to the AR missions because I just wanted to fight some dudes and there was no way to figure out how the combo takedowns activated in game.
Do you mean combos in the traditional sense? The entire battle system is based around queueing up contextual animations, you react to the situation you're in with single inputs and the combo meter just tallies up how long you've kept it going without losing your rhythm. Takedowns activate when you reach multiples of 8 (or 5 if you get the upgrade in the campaign, afair that carries into the challenges) and also use a single input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

The stance switching really bugged me in Tsushima - not the mechanic itself, but the controls. I frequently would hit R2 and the button to switch, but for some reason the R2 didn't register, or I pressed it too fast, or something, so instead of switching I'd attack, or jump or something, then get thrown out of my rhythm since I don't know what stance I'm in and getting parried while trying to figure out wtf was going wrong. Got me killed more than once. Very frustrating.

I had the same problem, I think what it is is that you just can't switch stances during certain animations. It's annoying because when it does work it's pretty much instant with no sound effect or anything, so you'll think you did it only to get your rear end kicked for being in the wrong stance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its just kind of dumb how the story of the game is Jin learning about how he needs to ignore what he's learned in order to win against the Mongols. But then the game also tells you that you have to use the specific sword stances the "correct" way.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Fall Guys came out yesterday and I played it a whole bunch. It's a ton of fun and a really great concept for a game.

But god drat some of the team games are awful and you can have a run ended due to useless teammates. Sometimes they even make an even split of teams with an odd number of people, so you get situations where it's 5 on 6 or something like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Do you mean combos in the traditional sense? The entire battle system is based around queueing up contextual animations, you react to the situation you're in with single inputs and the combo meter just tallies up how long you've kept it going without losing your rhythm. Takedowns activate when you reach multiples of 8 (or 5 if you get the upgrade in the campaign, afair that carries into the challenges) and also use a single input.

The takedowns. I just realized as I was playing it that I played the other three on the 360 so that's another level of confusion. What do you press for environment takedowns? The break weapons one? The AOE one? Etc etc. I finally find a guide that lists them and then it turns out that not everyone can do all of them! That's so annoying!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Arkham controls got more and more unwieldy with every instalment (and with it becoming the de facto mid-2010s combat system I guess), I like to think I'm pretty good at it but God knows how you're meant to memorize the sheer amount of combos, hotkeys, takedowns etc. And that's before adding a bunch of other characters to the mix.

To be honest my complaint about Arkham combat is either that or "it's too simplistic" so I don't know what I'm trying to say overall.

Maybe that it's a strange rhythm game/Simon says system at its core and when they started pushing it to its limits they added increasing amounts of options that didn't *quite* fit with that?

I do enjoy it, don't get me wrong, and probably more a few years on now that it's not as overused

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh right, my specific complaint was that even looking at the controls once I paused the game it still didn't have any list for the takedowns.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, the Arkham games combat is basically playing a Batman themed Bop-It which is both too simplistic and too complex to be really fun imo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I dusted off SMT Nocturne and holy poo poo that encounter rate is absurdly high

Also demon negotiation is bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arkham combat was awesome but not the end-all be-all. A new Batman game could be more of a traditional brawler style and do things that other similar games have done like mix the stealth and combat in together instead of making them mostly separate encounters, adding height/verticality, giving players a way to regain health, etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Every battle in the new Paper Mario game is a sliding block puzzle. I guess it continues the theme of Paper Mario games based on doodads you give 5 year olds to shut them up for a minute.

Also you can buy enhanced boots/hammers but they eventually break. They're not too expensive and last long enough that it's barely an issue, so why have the mechanic at all? It's just a minor inconvenience for no reason. Someone at Nintendo is just in love with durability mechanics.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Also demon negotiation is bad

Holy poo poo yes. Every time I say that people always chime in with 'oh but it gives them personality' and it's like, I don't give a poo poo about demon personality if during negotiations is the only time it ever shows up. They are meant to be used, grinded up into fusion paste, and turned into better demons.

Negotiation is just some irritating roulette where you can pick whatever answer you want and sometimes it'll work and sometimes it wastes your time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mechanically it serves the same purpose as pokeball rates but it feels worse in every aspect. I don't need it to work every time but make it less miserable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

Mechanically it serves the same purpose as pokeball rates but it feels worse in every aspect. I don't need it to work every time but make it less miserable

If it felt like my choices in negotiation actually had some kind of impact it would be a lot better. As it is it’s basically RNG.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If it felt like my choices in negotiation actually had some kind of impact it would be a lot better. As it is it’s basically RNG.

Give me money?

>Yes

How about more?

>Yes

Can I take your hp?

> Yes

PSYCH *lose all turns enemy attacks*

Replace yes with no and see what happens!

it's the same thing

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Moon Monster posted:

Every battle in the new Paper Mario game is a sliding block puzzle. I guess it continues the theme of Paper Mario games based on doodads you give 5 year olds to shut them up for a minute.

Also you can buy enhanced boots/hammers but they eventually break. They're not too expensive and last long enough that it's barely an issue, so why have the mechanic at all? It's just a minor inconvenience for no reason. Someone at Nintendo is just in love with durability mechanics.

The combat is so bad and it's a shame because otherwise the game is delightful

I don't care if they ever go back to more traditional RPG or TTYD type combat, but why replace it with a slow, repetitive gimmick that can barely carry a single zone, much less an entire game?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I kinda like the Arkham controls getting complicated as Batman's doing crazy stuff that should feel complicated. I felt pretty rad when I finally got the AC trophy for using all possible moves and gadgets within a single combo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Riatsala posted:

The combat is so bad and it's a shame because otherwise the game is delightful

I don't care if they ever go back to more traditional RPG or TTYD type combat, but why replace it with a slow, repetitive gimmick that can barely carry a single zone, much less an entire game?

I played Sticker Star and walked away with the conclusion that Nintendo was trying to actively punish people who enjoyed the original Square Super Mario RPG, and indeed most of its sequels and spinoffs

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Starcraft 2 added a bunch of single player campaign achievements for its tenth anniversary. One of them has you complete a mission while only recruiting a few types of units (SCVs, Medivacs, and mercenaries) Unfortunately, it's currently bugged. If the enemy recruits units other than these (which it will because it's not the same race), it counts against you.

However, if you don't want to wait for a hotfix, the community has discovered you can still get it! You just have to finish it in less than three minutes (before a Mutalisk is spawned in the enemy's hive), perfectly plan your dropships' route through the city so as not to aggro patrolling enemies or trigger additional unit spawnings, and snipe the target buildings and one zergling egg before it hatches! Honestly pretty impressive.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Aug 5, 2020

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It's probably just the frustration speaking, but there's too big a gap in difficulty between Expert and Expert + in Beat Saber. I remember thinking the same thing about DDR and Guitar Hero back in the day, but I'm not a fan of having the difficulty increase (1) the speed, (2) the number and (3) complexity of the notes and (4) the amount of life a wrong note takes away, because now when I play Expert I get bored and I don't feel like I get any better, but I don't really like practicing on Expert+ because I fail too early into a song (or I have to get through a minute long easy intro before failing...)

I'm just bitching, I'll keep playing...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CordlessPen posted:

I'm just bitching, I'll keep playing...

Time for a new thread title

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Dr Christmas posted:

Starcraft 2 added a bunch of single player campaign achievements for its tenth anniversary. One of them has you complete a mission while only recruiting a few types of units (SCVs, Medivacs, and mercenaries) Unfortunately, it's currently bugged. If the enemy recruits units other than these (which it will because it's not the same race), it counts against you.

However, if you don't want to wait for a hotfix, the community has discovered you can still get it! You just have to finish it in less than three minutes (before a Mutalisk is spawned in the enemy's hive), perfectly plan your dropships' route through the city so as not to aggro patrolling enemies or trigger additional unit spawnings, and snipe the target buildings and one zergling egg before it hatches! Honestly pretty impressive.

It seems like almost half of the achievements are "Complete X in under Y minutes", which isn't really fun to do. Some of them, like the broken one, are at least potentially interesting since they change how you'd normally do the missions. One of the earliest ones in Heart of the Swarm is to get 70 mutalisks in under 18 minutes on the mission they're unlocked in. It's not hard. it takes about fourteen if you play poorly like I did. But it's uninteresting, which is the problem.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CordlessPen posted:

I don't really like practicing on Expert+ because I fail too early into a song (or I have to get through a minute long easy intro before failing...)
It's possible to play this game for a hundred hours and not realize this but this button

allows you to start from any point in the song

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That is a really unintuitive icon if that's what it does.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

marshmallow creep posted:

That is a really unintuitive icon if that's what it does.

It really is. I found out after beating numerous songs on expert. You can play the song from any point, with configurable speed. Getting used to songs at 1.5 speed then going back to regular speed is pretty sweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In ghost of Tsushima sometimes characters say Tsushima with a silent T and sometimes they don’t.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

If you’re playing Ghost of Tsushima with the Japanese voice track, the haikus very obviously don’t have anywhere near the right number of syllables, which annoys me more than it probably should. I guess they wrote them in English following the 5-7-5 rule then just translated them into Japanese without worrying about the syllable count. It’s the most minor thing in the world but I have to try really hard not to think about it or it drives me nuts

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

syllable counts in haiku have always been fairly arbitrary, though - the real issue in GoT is that they’re not at all focused on the right imagery or contemplations to be haiku in the first place

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why the gently caress doesn't Skies of Arcadia have a remaster yet?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

More like Oldshibbolethless

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ruffian Price posted:

It's possible to play this game for a hundred hours and not realize this but this button

allows you to start from any point in the song

Son of a bitch...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

food court bailiff posted:

syllable counts in haiku have always been fairly arbitrary, though - the real issue in GoT is that they’re not at all focused on the right imagery or contemplations to be haiku in the first place

If they called them senryus most of the audience wouldn't know wtf that was.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"Hey, Agents are GO!, I see you're getting all the collectable in Horizon Zero Dawn! I hope you like Glinthawks!"

I was actually thrilled to fight two Thunderjaws at the same time because it wasn't more loving glinthawks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The true thing dragging down the haikus in Tsushima is that each one gives you a headband, which is very cool, but they go on the same list as all your other headwear and by the end of the game I had literally 50 hats in one long unorganized list to sort through any time I wanted to change. Gimme the Hat Tabs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The headgear is definitely overkill, I'd be satisfied by one good headband, one good bandana, and the big mustache mask.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell no, gimme all the hats. Giving you a headband with your personalized haiku on it as the item description is cool as poo poo. Just make them easier to browse through.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What games have diverse bestiaries, but are very poorly distributed?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The true thing dragging down the haikus in Tsushima is that each one gives you a headband, which is very cool, but they go on the same list as all your other headwear and by the end of the game I had literally 50 hats in one long unorganized list to sort through any time I wanted to change. Gimme the Hat Tabs.

I really would have appreciated getting something other than headbands, which are the lamest hat option in the game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have diverse bestiaries, but are very poorly distributed?

Does the fourth Pokemon generation count? Diamond and Pearl only had three catchable Fire types, and one of them was a postgame legendary.

It's especially noticeable because they decided that was the generation to add a Fire-type Elite Four member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mario + Rabbids is a really solid game, and battles are never gimmes - it's a nice surprise.

I try not to compare it to XCOM, but it drives me nuts that you can't really do anything to incoming enemies that are coming up from the ground. In XCOM, when an enemy enters the fight, it can move to cover, but it won't attack right away. In M+R, they have a full turn as soon as they arrive. I would love to be able to park the little sentry on them. It's a way to keep you always on your toes; but it sucks to have attacks available on a turn, and just to have to waste them and wait.