Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looking into it, it was not a CRT. It was DLP projection.

Making a CRT of that shape and relatively small size would have been a quite a technological feat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

On a DVI cable, probably not even dual-link.

gah! sour tasting grapes

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

stevewm posted:

Looking into it, it was not a CRT. It was DLP projection.

Making a CRT of that shape and relatively small size would have been a quite a technological feat...

Moving it would have been quite a physical feat...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crime on a Dime posted:

gah! sour tasting grapes

Single-link DVI can barely do 1920x1080, and that thing has at least 2x the real estate.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Single-link DVI can barely do 1920x1080, and that thing has at least 2x the real estate.

oh for sure

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

KozmoNaut posted:

twice the size, but it was probably something like 1600x480

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I remember when my workplace bought a few 21" CRTs and trying to heft those things I was definitely ready for LCDs to become the new standard.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember when my workplace bought a few 21" CRTs and trying to heft those things I was definitely ready for LCDs to become the new standard.

For a few years I was one of those CRT sperglords and had a Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT. (the white HP branded version)

I struggled to find a desk that could fit it. And even when I did finally get a desk, I had to add more support to the desk to hold the monitor's immense weight. Moving it by yourself was simply impossible. It clocked in at 95lbs.

I spent hours with the factory service software trying to dial in the multi-point convergence. It later developed some sort of problem with the HV side. It would short out with some buzzing sounds and the picture would turn very blurry for a few seconds. After these events sometimes convergence would be all outta wack requiring me to go through the whole tweaking process again. And then the AG coating started to fall apart. I didn't know enough about CRTs at the time to repair it, so to a local recycler it went.

I replaced it with a Dell U2412M which was vastly superior in every way.

stevewm has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Aug 4, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Had a 32" widescreen CRT TV, it was so heavy it was hard to move by myself, once I got it in place I would never move it again until I got rid of it.

But I knew it was worse for some people, I knew one guy with a projection television, something like this

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Those were the only big screens available when I was a kid, remember my friend's dad had one and a sound system that could rattle the entire house and I was very jealous of playing nintendo on that tv

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Every one of those CRT based projection sets I've ever seen always had a terrible soft/slightly fuzzy picture.

My grandpa dropped like almost 2k on one decades ago.. the picture looked worse than 15" tv/VCR combo CRT I had at the time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kamrat posted:

But I knew it was worse for some people, I knew one guy with a projection television, something like this

I used to work at Incredible Universe, and one of the bennies was that if you got secret-shopped, and scored higher than 90% on the evaluation, you could pick anything in the store at 50% off. One of my cow orkers picked the Toshiba 56" widescreen. Specifically, he picked the demo model in the showroom. The list price was something like $5500, the demo model was marked down substantially, he got it for half of that. It barely fit into his apartment. It also weighed 350 lbs.

Store also had an 80" ProScan, but the display on that thing looked like poo poo. The Toshiba with laserdisc was amazing.

stevewm posted:

Every one of those CRT based projection sets I've ever seen always had a terrible soft/slightly fuzzy picture.

My grandpa dropped like almost 2k on one decades ago.. the picture looked worse than 15" tv/VCR combo CRT I had at the time.

Since they have three CRTs inside, getting proper alignment and convergence is critical and can be hosed up when you move the TV and bump it around. When they were properly set up they were capable of looking great.

My stepmother's parents had a much older one of the style that had a big mirror that folded out from the base of the set, and reflected the separate CRT images up to the screen. I don't think it was possible for those to not look like crap:

The picture quality was pretty bad too.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Aug 5, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stevewm posted:

Was there no way to focus them?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They only looked halfway decent in a perfectly dark room, which is absolutely no one's living room.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

stevewm posted:

Yup, and like others have said, it needed to be completely dark and you had to sit dead-center in front of it. My GF’s father back in the day, who was a horrible lovely human being and a cheapskate, bought a top-of-the-line one in the mid-Eighties, it was $5000, which was a metric shitload of money, and I was surprised at how crappy the thing was, in all its resplendent REAL OAK cabinetry.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

On one extreme you had those rear projection things with their washed out, blurry picture and the other extreme were "handheld" TVs with blurry LCD screens and huge amounts of static.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember in the 90s seeing those big rear end TVs at the store and going "why does this look like poo poo? Star Trek looks way better on that smaller one". The only people I knew with a TV like that had it because the people who built the house had one installed and it was impossible to move without like knocking down a wall. They literally never used it, and had a more standard model on a table in front of it because it looked so washed out.

CRT Tvs are one tech I am so glad is gone and dead.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Those projection TVs looked like poo poo is because they required regular maintenance. It's something that would be conveniently never mentioned on the show floor. No sane person would haul their monstrosity to a repair shop. Unless of course you are someone who's in intense competition with Joneses who would pay for in house service.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I was... four? five? the only time I ever saw a TV repairman in the wild, who came to fix my great-grandmothers giant B&W set. This would have been '86 or so.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

rndmnmbr posted:

I was... four? five? the only time I ever saw a TV repairman in the wild, who came to fix my great-grandmothers giant B&W set. This would have been '86 or so.

We had one come over a few times in the mid 90s to fix a TV that started regularly blowing caps just after the warranty expired.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

There was still one around the corner from the first house I remember living in, I would have been like 4 ish so yeah, late 80s.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
https://youtu.be/Y1En6FKd5Pk

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

rndmnmbr posted:

We had one over in like 2012 back when biggish flatscreens were still expensive enough to bother repairing. It blew its power board.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

To the uninitiated, it may look like a broken iPod.

To those in the know, it is a repaired iPod - using a CF card adaptor. Unfortunately, because iTunes is such a dumpster fire, I can't get it to restore it. But at least I have a different error message on it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rndmnmbr posted:

I vaguely remember one coming around to our house a couple of times in the late 70s. He worse a suit and had a suitcase full of tubes.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

The Ape of Naples posted:

I vaguely remember one coming around to our house a couple of times in the late 70s. He worse a suit and had a suitcase full of tubes.

Did he have a large moustache and was your mother very impressive by a large tool he had?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The other day, I saw a console TV on the curb and I've never been so sad I couldn't take somebody's trash. I always loved console TVs.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moo the cow posted:

Did he have a large moustache and was your mother very impressive by a large tool he had?

That was the milkman.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Explosionface posted:

The other day, I saw a console TV on the curb and I've never been so sad I couldn't take somebody's trash. I always loved console TVs.

At work last week we tried putting a CRT on the curb with a free sign. Came back the next day and the cord was cut off. I kind of forgot that was a thing people do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Vandalize garbage?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wa27 posted:

At work last week we tried putting a CRT on the curb with a free sign. Came back the next day and the cord was cut off. I kind of forgot that was a thing people do.
What? Why would they cut the cord??

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Millennials

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

For the absolutely minimal amount of copper inside, maybe.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

Millennials

They're called cord cutters for getting rid of cable TV, not taking the cables from TVs.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

FilthyImp posted:

Tweakers need copper

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
About a year ago I downsized my retro-game collection by selling a lot of my console collection and listed two 27” CRTs on the local classifieds for free. Here’s a voice mail I got from an interested party.

https://youtu.be/AHMVVp6rG-8

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I have a lot of scavenged corded plugs, you never know when you're gonna need a cord from an old coffee machine.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Imagined posted:

For the absolutely minimal amount of copper inside, maybe.

Yeah I assumed it was to sell the copper.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I guess if you're one of those guys circling every neighborhood before bulk trash day in a 40 year old Japanese pickup with absolutely destroyed rear shocks, fence panels welded into a cage around the bed, and junk piled on it twice as high as the roof like a Mad Max version of the Beverly Hillbillies, every ounce is a gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Imagined posted:

I guess if you're one of those guys circling every neighborhood before bulk trash day in a 40 year old Japanese pickup with absolutely destroyed rear shocks, fence panels welded into a cage around the bed, and junk piled on it twice as high as the roof like a Mad Max version of the Beverly Hillbillies, every ounce is a gain.

always wanted a japanese micro truck, but drat they do not seem comfortable to ride in