Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Wibla posted:

lifepo4 with the on-battery BMS hooked up to the computer in the car would solve this... but that's more expensive.

There is one version of the Ioniq that does something like this. The 12v system is powered from a 12v pack made from the same cells as the main battery pack. But its seperated off in its own small compartment from the main pack.

The dash has a button that can be held down to "jump" this smaller 12v pack from the main pack should it ever be dead for any reason.

Fake edit: Found it! https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-hyundai-ioniq-what-does-this-button-do-1420695209640/ This page mentions it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

elbkaida posted:

On autotrader you can filter for fuel type and it gives you electric and various hybrid options
Thank you kindly. Didn't realize that I don't have to select make and model in order to access fuel options.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Qwijib0 posted:

Warning about the 12v needing replacement helpfully popped up after it was back on.

Lol nice

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Someone on Reddit stacked discounts and incentives (including low income ones) and got a "free" bolt ev lease. https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/i2is9u/free_2020_bolt_lease_with_1k6k_money_in_pocket

Their post is kind of a mess to read, but here's the body in case you don't want to click a Reddit link:

quote:

2020 LT bolt one pay lease 8350...   0r 10300 no money down ok credit. Dealer must discount bolt by 5k, watsonville has this price alreadly $13500 on the off MSRP . you can get others to do 4k to compete with watsonville making 1 pay lease $300 more. So for the math here how it works.

Argue $5k off MSRP watsonville has $13500 right on the hood other dealers will discount to $4k making a difference of $300 on a 1 pay lease. Just start negionating or speak to armando in watsonville

5K  grant CVAP part of down either half or majority of 1 pay

4.5k STATE CVRP rebate

4k City of santa Cruz NEW rebate (varies from 0-4k+ depending on county)

800 PGE rebate

14300 in grants and rebates lease 8350 at watsonville for lowest trim paid up front Price 8350

pocketed $5950 and a free lease.Depending on your city that I havent mentioned san mateo etc, this is a great lease hack

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

stevewm posted:

There is one version of the Ioniq that does something like this. The 12v system is powered from a 12v pack made from the same cells as the main battery pack. But its seperated off in its own small compartment from the main pack.

The dash has a button that can be held down to "jump" this smaller 12v pack from the main pack should it ever be dead for any reason.

Fake edit: Found it! https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-hyundai-ioniq-what-does-this-button-do-1420695209640/ This page mentions it.

Okay that is pretty awesome, more EVs should do that.

I did a little snooping around online to see how much the lithium-ion drop in replacement 12v batteries for a Tesla Model 3 cost, and I laughed the page closed when it was like $800. Maybe in a couple years when my OEM 12v will probably be reaching its limit there will be more affordable ones on the market.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Indiana_Krom posted:

Okay that is pretty awesome, more EVs should do that.

I did a little snooping around online to see how much the lithium-ion drop in replacement 12v batteries for a Tesla Model 3 cost, and I laughed the page closed when it was like $800. Maybe in a couple years when my OEM 12v will probably be reaching its limit there will be more affordable ones on the market.

Allegedly the way Tesla’s like to deep cycle the 12 volt along with no climate control for it would be really rough on a Lithium-ion and not last as long as a deep cycle rated lead acid. I base this off one website and nothing else.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Allegedly the way Tesla’s like to deep cycle the 12 volt along with no climate control for it would be really rough on a Lithium-ion and not last as long as a deep cycle rated lead acid. I base this off one website and nothing else.

LiFePO4 batteries are basically indestructible, and motorcycle owners love them. I replaced my CBR600RR's AGM battery with one, and that thing could crank forever. Deep cycling doesn't hurt them one bit. A lot of Tesla owners drop in LiFePO4 batteries made for motorcycles.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
There is no sane reason an EV should not just float charge the 12v off shore power when connected.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Qwijib0 posted:

There is no sane reason an EV should not just float charge the 12v off shore power when connected.

I mean they do I think. The batteries just eventually poo poo themselves.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

LiFePO4 batteries are basically indestructible, and motorcycle owners love them. I replaced my CBR600RR's AGM battery with one, and that thing could crank forever. Deep cycling doesn't hurt them one bit. A lot of Tesla owners drop in LiFePO4 batteries made for motorcycles.
Ummm I've managed to kill a Shorai in one of my motorcycles by fully discharging it by leaving my key in it to the point where it couldn't be recharged or saved. While I've switched to them in all my motorcycles and run them 4 seasons for weight reasons; they definitely can be killed.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 4, 2020

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

Mine was dead with the charger connected.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yuns posted:

Ummm I've managed to kill a Shorai in one of my motorcycles by fully discharging it by leaving my key in it to the point where it couldn't be recharged or saved. While I've switched to them in all my motorcycles and run them 4 seasons for weight reasons; they definitely can be killed.

I think it's the EarthX ones or something similar that have a pretty smart onboard circuit that won't let them run down until they're dead, and other fancy features. I know there's someone in AI who's all about lithium batteries, but I don't remember who that was.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Yuns posted:

Yeah, lithium batteries should all have a protection circuit that permanently fuses off cells if one drops below the cells minimum voltage (2.5v typically) because if you attempt to charge them up again after they have depleted that far they usually explode because the metal plates inside the battery corrode and or form short circuits from the stresses at low voltage. Charging one up too high on the other hand (past 4.3v for most cells) and they can form lithium crystals which also can short out the cell and cause it to explode, only in this case runaway reactions are much more likely because the battery is also filled with energy in that state.

Otherwise as long as they are kept within safe voltage tolerances (3.0v to 4.2v) they are basically impossible to kill, but will still degrade and lose capacity over time.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bum the Sad posted:

Depends on the car. Volt does not charge unless the vehicle is on, and it charges the 12v off the traction battery. I don't know WHY it doesn't trickle charge/tend the 12v off shore power.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Qwijib0 posted:

Yes, but this is 2020. We went through this at the start of lock-down in early March. The Bolt (and others, buying charging modules from the same supplier?) will only charge the house battery from the traction battery and the traction battery is only connected to the rest of the car when it's switched on. There is no connection from the charging cable to the house battery.

idgi.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Everyone needs a little solar panel on the rear spoiler like my leaf has. i think its like 9 W, so just a solar battery tender. I think probably put it on so they didn't have to care how much power they use while the car is communicating for the app data.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Godholio posted:

Depends on the car. Volt does not charge unless the vehicle is on, and it charges the 12v off the traction battery. I don't know WHY it doesn't trickle charge/tend the 12v off shore power.

Pretty sure our leaf does this when charging; when the HV battery is full the indicator lights switch over to flashing the 3rd light to indicate it's charging the 12V. However this may be just a coincidence and it charges it when it pleases like every other EV.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Way back when I bought my leaf the salesman told me the 12V got "topped up" every time it was plugged into shore power, in addition to charging from the traction battery and solar panel. He was a car salesman, though, so probably lying.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It all depends on how the power system is structured. Making something that can charge anything from any source without going through extra conversions costs money.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

Likely whoever engineered that particular part thought "well this is how it's always been done, why change?"

This is also probably one of the reasons GM recommends unplugging the car and disconnecting the 12v battery if storing the car for more than a few months.

If left plugged in for an extended period of time without being turned on, it will eventually drain the 12v.

Supposedly the Bolt is the same way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tesla’s wiper controls are ruled illegal in Germany after someone crashed while using them

quote:

Tesla’s wiper controls through its touchscreen have been ruled illegal in Germany after someone crashed their Model 3 while using them and fought a fine and driving ban through the court system.

German courts are throwing a lot of sticks in Tesla’s wheel recently.

Last month, Tesla Autopilot and Full Self-Driving claims were judged ‘misleading’ by a German court and now they are making the use of the touchscreen to modify wiper controls in the Model 3 illegal.

A Tesla Model 3 driver got into an accident while using the touchscreen to adjust the speed of the automatic windshield wipers.

In Model 3 and Model Y vehicles, Tesla didn’t install normal windshield wiper settings through a steering wheel stalk.

Instead, the automaker is detecting the rain through its Autopilot cameras and automatically adjusting the speed based on the strength of the rainfall.

If the driver wants to adjust the speed, they need to do it through the center touchscreen.

The driver in Germany was adjusting those settings when he lost control of the vehicle and crashed.

A local district court gave him a fine and a one-month driving ban and that’s where the problem started for Tesla.

He decided to fight the punishment – bringing the case to the Higher Regional Court (OLG).

The OLG judge ruled:

“The touchscreen permanently installed in the vehicle of the Tesla brand is an electronic device within the meaning of Section 23 (1a) sentence 1 and 2 StVO, the operation of which the motor vehicle driver is only permitted under the conditions of this regulation It does not matter which purpose the driver pursues with the operation, and the setting of the functions required to operate the motor vehicle via the touchscreen (here: setting the wiper interval of the windshield wiper) is therefore only permitted if this is done with a short, Street, traffic, visibility and weather conditions adapted to the view of the screen while at the same time looking away from the traffic is connected “

The judgment sets a precedent for future Tesla drivers about the use of the touchscreen for “functions required to operate the motor vehicle.”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Musktweets incoming?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It wasnt ruled illegal, more that the driver didnt take proper care and the judge threw out his arguments.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35301/tesla-model-3-driver-has-license-suspended-by-judge-after-adjusting-wipers-via-touchscreen

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah even trying to parse the terrible machine translation of the ruling it's hard to see how it gets interpreted as the control system being ruled illegal.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

stevewm posted:

Likely whoever engineered that particular part thought "well this is how it's always been done, why change?"

This is also probably one of the reasons GM recommends unplugging the car and disconnecting the 12v battery if storing the car for more than a few months.

If left plugged in for an extended period of time without being turned on, it will eventually drain the 12v.

I'd be willing to bet that it's to avoid having a lower-than-advertised charging rate for the traction battery, plus possibly having the converter for the traction battery not play nice with the downstream converter for the 12V loads, possibly leading to improper float voltages and whatnot.

Plus just not needing to float the 12V on shore power under 99% of conditions.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Check out this cruiser:

https://electrek.co/2020/08/04/evoke-6061-long-range-cruiser-electric-motorcycle-launched-15-min-dc-fast-charging/

It's pretty amazing if it can DCFC at the 125 kW they claim. Sucks that the AC charger's only 1.8 kW.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That is most def gonna be a real motorcycle that will exist, and if it does make it to market, is 100% going to not lunch its battery after the first DCFC.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

*points to rules regarding sources, points to electrek links, gesticulates wildly*

Please find better/alternate sources in the future.

Note: I'm not saying those articles are bad (except for that dumb space at the bottom for the editor to get their own ~~hot take~~ in, :wtc: gimmicky poo poo is that), but a release from the manufacturer or an english language german paper might be the better option. Less chance of mistakes or garbled translations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gamesguy posted:

Pretty happy so far. :) I will need to install a level 2 outlet tho because the speed on level 1 is loltastic, it only charges at 0.8kw which is like 5 amps or something.

Some rear end shots and night time photos.

It's not out yet. It was supposed to start production right now but with covid it's probably been pushed back to 2021.

Took me a while to figure it out. Apparently the haptic feedback option which is on by default makes it so you have press really hard, makes zero sense.

I meant it in the sense that Teslas and i-Pace and even the Bolt are very recognizably EVs. This just looks like another Audi SUV.

Very nice. What's it like to drive? Don't suppose you've been on any hilly or mountainous areas?

I am in the research phase for a new car and considering this country is massively hydro-powered it probably makes sense to go electric fairly soon. Though prices are pretty ridiculous (http://www.audi.ch/A9CJNB0C and this is for the less powerful version)

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

stevewm posted:

The Bolt is not that way.

When the vehicle cord is plugged in
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will check the 12V battery every 6 hours if the ignition is off. If the voltage is below a temperature dependent threshold ranging from 12.1 (cold) to 12.4 (warm)V, the Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will send the voltage set point to the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module (ECM) will send this to the 14V Power Module. Battery maintenance mode will charge the battery for 2-3 hours. If the Ignition is ON, the APM will cycle on as needed to maintain the 12V SOC.

When the vehicle cord is not plugged in
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will check the 12V battery every 4 days (2.5 to 3 days) and if the voltage is below a threshold of 12.0 may activate battery maintenance. If the high voltage battery state of charge is greater than 40% and the propulsion system is not active, Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will send the voltage set point to the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module (ECM) will send this to the 14V Power Module. Battery maintenance mode will charge the battery for 45-90 minutes..

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm more interested in seeing the Rivians than the LiveWire in the Long Way Up. I think it's pretty interesting that Rivian built out a charging network before taking the trip, I guess it beats having a truck with a generator following them around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggu11EJo4L8

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ClassH posted:

The Bolt is not that way.

When the vehicle cord is plugged in
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will check the 12V battery every 6 hours if the ignition is off. If the voltage is below a temperature dependent threshold ranging from 12.1 (cold) to 12.4 (warm)V, the Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will send the voltage set point to the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module (ECM) will send this to the 14V Power Module. Battery maintenance mode will charge the battery for 2-3 hours. If the Ignition is ON, the APM will cycle on as needed to maintain the 12V SOC.

When the vehicle cord is not plugged in
The Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will check the 12V battery every 4 days (2.5 to 3 days) and if the voltage is below a threshold of 12.0 may activate battery maintenance. If the high voltage battery state of charge is greater than 40% and the propulsion system is not active, Hybrid/EV Powertrain control module (HPCM2) will send the voltage set point to the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module (ECM) will send this to the 14V Power Module. Battery maintenance mode will charge the battery for 45-90 minutes..

Interesting..

I had just went off hearsay; obviously that was wrong.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

*points to rules regarding sources, points to electrek links, gesticulates wildly*

Please find better/alternate sources in the future.

Note: I'm not saying those articles are bad (except for that dumb space at the bottom for the editor to get their own ~~hot take~~ in, :wtc: gimmicky poo poo is that), but a release from the manufacturer or an english language german paper might be the better option. Less chance of mistakes or garbled translations.

That would be true for most manufacturers, but Tesla is pretty well known for not responding to press inquiries so I wouldn't expect a press release from them on anything negative.

*edit*
But there is a BBC article about it now, but they probably just used Google translate on the same German blog that everyone else used.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 5, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The 2021 Audi e-tron is up to 222 miles epa range (+18 miles) and the msrp is being reduced by quite a bit ($8,900), starting at $65,900 before incentives. The e-tron sportback will cost $3,000 more than the regular e-tron.

I imagine this mostly comes from battery advancements - more energy dense, less expensive.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I imagine this mostly comes from battery advancements - more energy dense, less expensive.

I think so too. My Energica Ego's now replaced by the Ego+ which has 60% more battery capacity while weighing less and costing the same as my bike when it was new.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My jealousy for the SR/F and Energicas that came out after I bought my SR are only matched by the knowledge that both of those will be so severely outclassed in another few years when I’m upgrading.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Weird, but ok

https://insideevs.com/news/437552/video-tesla-model-3-boating-swimming-deep-water/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

James Bond lotus submarine tesla when

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Cadillac Lyriq unveiled tonight. I stole some details and pics from electrek's slide summary, pls no punish:

They want to offer rwd / awd options, 50/50 weight ratio, 19 kW (100 amp box) AC charging option, and a 300+ mile battery. They said they're 80% to production and it'll hit dealerships in the end of 2022. Cadillac said these will be available nationally across the US, they are not restricted to California. It will support up to 150 kW DCFC and feature super cruise.

It also has a cool 33 inch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

priznat posted:

James Bond lotus submarine tesla when

I feel there’s a Tesla build-quality joke in there somewhere