Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rescue Toaster posted:

This is interesting because I've been extremely careful weighing everything. All these are intentionally pretty high hydration it seems like. But I guess that can exacerbate problems with gluten development too? Taking a look online at some comparisons though it seems like I might favor a lower hydration bread that has closer to a store bought texture (dryer but less big airy holes in it) anyway.

Experiment a bit. I've got a sourdough recipie I've been using for a while and I've recently realized that as written it's really high hydration. I've been slowly stepping it down a bit as I make subsequent loafs and am generally liking the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The flour is a variable too if they don't spell out the exact brand like a King Arthur recipe. You can coax more water into the dough if you let it rest mixed for a few hours. This can also help with kneading, which is another variable between the recipe and you.

Is this a sourdough? If so then I'd cut that out and use some commercial yeast just to strike that out. Also, you will want to do all the ritual with proofing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Rescue Toaster posted:

6) The inside of the bread has an odd shiny/plastic-y/eggy texture that's very unpleasant.

That's actually desirable in a high hydration dough, in my understanding. Starch gelatinization or some such.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I really thought this Italian bread from BBA was going to be off cause I neglected every step but it’s probably the best bread I’ve made. Turned a loaf into garlic bread and had it with cacio e pepe and caprese salad. Sorry for the burnt garlic our broiler is poo poo

Also margaritas paired with cacio makes me want to make a pepper and lime-cello cake

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 3, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've tried about 5 different recipes for a basic round white bread 'county' loaf in a dutch oven. And even with wildly different methods like no-knead vs mixer, multiday rests in fridge vs same day, instant vs active-dry yeast, different varieties of folding & shaping, bread flour vs AP flour, making a basic overnight 'starter' thing, etc... the result is always absolutely exactly the same.

1) The initial bulk rise/ferment works fine.
2) After knocking it down and shaping there is never any additional rise, it only settles out sideways.
3) There is absolutely zero oven spring/rise in the oven. (Using a preheated dutch oven at 450)
4) The outer crust is usually pretty good thanks to the dutch oven.
5) There are lots of air bubbles inside but they are all small/even, almost cake-like appearance.
6) The inside of the bread has an odd shiny/plastic-y/eggy texture that's very unpleasant.

I can't over-exaggerate how different some of these recipes are, it's simply astonishing to me that they all always come out with the exact same problem. And it's borderline inedible. I'd appreciate any suggestions at all, I'm totally at a loss of what else to change.

1, 2, and 3 tell me the yeast ran out of food. Fix this with some combo of less yeast, shorter rise time, and/or cooler temperatures when rising.

5 some people like that, some don't. Do you want big bubbles? This will change once 1-3 are addressed too.

6 is actually good as Chad Sexington notes because that means you fully gelatinized your starches and the texture should be right for that kind of bread (chewy). If you don't want that texture there are ways to change it.

Try making small loaves (like 250g total flour weight) regularly to see if you can dial in what it takes to get what you want. Don't change more than one variable at a time.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I didn't realize that it's a desirable texture, but maybe I've just never had nice enough bread anywhere to encounter it. Do you actually enjoy it? I find it unpleasantly rubbery, and figured it was wrong. Maybe I'm just not a refined enough person to know what's good.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's kind of hard to tell from pictures. You can definitely get into a "gummy" territory which definitely isn't desirable. I was getting that for a while but I think it was just because I was being lazy with shaping and under-developing gluten, plus either over or under-fermenting the dough.

You might also have more problems than normal if it's sliced too early. Bread still cooks and changes as it cools, the inside is still steaming and setting.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There's a good and a bad gumminess. The bad would be from an undercooked loaf but that picture looked pretty good. You'd get a section in the center that's just homogenous dough and the cut would drag down through the rest of the loaf. You can sacrifice a slice by ripping out the soft center and rolling it up. If it's sticky, it's undercooked. If it's cooked, you might get some kind of residue but not something you feel like you're re-kneading.

I'm wondering now if Rescue Toaster is looking more for a sandwich loaf or something more like that. Yeah, lean breads can make some awesome sandwiches but it isn't my first reach. I've been generally using doughs with less hydration and some fat instead for that kind of thing. Also, no egg.

As an alternative, maybe Rescue Toaster's looking for a stringier crumb.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It was definitely cooked/set. I'm guessing just because it rose/sprung so little that there was just such a dense texture of the plastic/rubber in between each air bubble. I've definitely had bread from a bakery with a hint of that internal shiny/plasticized characteristic and it wasn't off-putting because there was so much more air inside.

I'd definitely be fine with a more sandwich or italian? style bread. What makes no sense to me is in, for example, babish's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizr6LR83Kk&t=200s That's an 88% hydration dough (354g water 400g flour) which seems insane that it comes out more like a traditional sandwich loaf, and only 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast yet it blows up like a drat soccer ball.

In this other recipe I've tried: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe Even though it's a terrible picture you can see that internal texture (the shinyness) is there, but it's just much less dense than mine. And that's a 75% hydration and uses an entire packet of yeast (for two loaves). My picture earlier is of this recipe.

At this point I'd say the #1 issue is I need to get it to not be dense, whatever other things are going on I can adjust later, but currently everything is flat out inedible because of how dense it is.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 3, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pretty much every time my bread comes out dense as gently caress it's because I over proofed it.

Also if you're doing the dutch oven thing, trying putting that into the (big) oven cold. As in the oven you're putting it in hasnt' come up to temp yet. Tack on a few extra minutes to your cook time. I've gotten some great oven spring that way. I want to say I was cooking my dutch oven sourdough for 50 minutes at 500 and then changed to 70 at cold rising to 500.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty much every time my bread comes out dense as gently caress it's because I over proofed it.

Also if you're doing the dutch oven thing, trying putting that into the (big) oven cold. As in the oven you're putting it in hasnt' come up to temp yet. Tack on a few extra minutes to your cook time. I've gotten some great oven spring that way. I want to say I was cooking my dutch oven sourdough for 50 minutes at 500 and then changed to 70 at cold rising to 500.

I may try this out today for shits and giggles.

My sourdough has had good, but not great, spring using a preheated dutch oven at 450 — 25 minutes covered and ~20 minutes to brown it. Let's see if I can get more spring going in cold.

I want to experiment with cutting out the overnight phase in the fridge too, since it worked out fine for me last time, but only one variable at a time I guess.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

It was definitely cooked/set. I'm guessing just because it rose/sprung so little that there was just such a dense texture of the plastic/rubber in between each air bubble. I've definitely had bread from a bakery with a hint of that internal shiny/plasticized characteristic and it wasn't off-putting because there was so much more air inside.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's not why it would not have had oven spring. The spring comes from the yeast realizing they're going to die and giving one last fart. If they lack food, as someone mentioned above, there you go.

Yeast can be pretty powerful!
https://twitter.com/ailsabm/status/433154320029454336?s=20

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I may try this out today for shits and giggles.

My sourdough has had good, but not great, spring using a preheated dutch oven at 450 — 25 minutes covered and ~20 minutes to brown it. Let's see if I can get more spring going in cold.

I want to experiment with cutting out the overnight phase in the fridge too, since it worked out fine for me last time, but only one variable at a time I guess.

I leave it in covered the whole time fwiw.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The thought that the outside would set and trap the bread at a given size, causing it to be dense, has occurred to me, not sure if there's any truth in that. Especially if the yeast are out of fuel at that point and can't push through it. I also have a proper lame now for slashing it rather than my crappy knives. So that might improve things too. For starters I'll try a little lower hydration, be careful not to over-proof, and better cuts w/ the razor, and see what happens.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 3, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly I’ve never noticed my lame skills (which are . . . lame :dadjoke: ) making the difference with rise. I’ve had loaves where I hosed up the cuts just say gently caress yo crust and bust out on their own, and loaves with very nice slashes be lazy and barely rise.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's not why it would not have had oven spring. The spring comes from the yeast realizing they're going to die and giving one last fart. If they lack food, as someone mentioned above, there you go.

Ooo the forbidden sourdough starter

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'd definitely be fine with a more sandwich or italian? style bread. What makes no sense to me is in, for example, babish's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jizr6LR83Kk&t=200s That's an 88% hydration dough (354g water 400g flour) which seems insane that it comes out more like a traditional sandwich loaf, and only 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast yet it blows up like a drat soccer ball.

In this other recipe I've tried: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe Even though it's a terrible picture you can see that internal texture (the shinyness) is there, but it's just much less dense than mine. And that's a 75% hydration and uses an entire packet of yeast (for two loaves). My picture earlier is of this recipe.

At this point I'd say the #1 issue is I need to get it to not be dense, whatever other things are going on I can adjust later, but currently everything is flat out inedible because of how dense it is.

I started out using the same KAF recipe. My pet theory is that they bought a bad pallet of yeast a few years ago and so every recipe has like a lot of yeast. I'm currently putting in 3g to about 2/3 that recipe (I'm at about 575g flour and I've also been doing a hydration closer to 2/3) batch and it's been vigorous enough. So it could easily be a timing/yeast issue.

So maybe try again, but with less yeast and erring on the side of refrigerating early. I usually ferment in a glass bowl with a plastic lid so I just look underneath to see when medium-sized bubbles form. But it will continue once you refrigerate it since it will take a while to cool. Then refrigerate for a few days; the cold fermentation can add flavor, and also "food" for the yeast if that is the problem. In the fridge enzymes will slowly break down some of the starch into sugar.

For the final shaping, I've been deviating from that KAF recipe a decent amount. I've been doing some stretch and folds right after I take the dough out of the fridge. Then I let it warm up which can take a while, like an hour+ depending on temperature and fermenting vessel. After it's enlivened I do a final shaping then let it rise for maybe another hour-ish. The usual test of the final proof is to just poke it with a wet finger. If the indentation stays there and doesn't immediately relax back then it's ready.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Made some bagels.

Used bagels to make lunch.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

blixa posted:

Used bagels to make lunch.

involuntarily went "unff", looks amazing

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ive been out of breadmaking for a while and now that Im getting back into it Im coming back to forums and poo poo and relearning--I recently read and remembered someone saying you dont want your dough to fully proof the second time, especially for a good score. Ideally, I remember reading, you want to catch it at like 75-80% or so of the way through the second proof to get a real good oven spring. You dont want it underproofed but theres a window where you get a really excellent spring, versus just a normal "end of the proofing time, not too much yeast left" oven spring. I dont know if it works but it makes sense and Ive always had varying success with oven spring since I dont quite as strictly adhere to timing and temperature, I go by if the dough is doubled-ish or not, and there have been times when Ive had explosive oven spring like that.

The other thing about spring is that it depends on the surface tension in the dough, and also maybe scoring. That's really the technical part that I stumble on, because my philosophy has always been that if you have active yeast and add it to flour, water and salt, you have bread--less about the "baking is science" aspect of it and more like a tradeskill or some poo poo.

My family and I dont really like "sour" sourdough so I usually convert my recipes to fully room temperature, one-day loaves, so I usually end up with it fully fermenting the second time, but I do remember with cold and slower proofs, its easier to catch that window, especially since my fridge is usually kept cold enough that it sometimes seems like my dough goes kinda dormant when I put it in, and Ill have to leave it out for an hour or two before baking it if I do an overnight ferment.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 5, 2020

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Anyone have a recipe they'd recommend for good Cuban bread?

Still haven't found lard yet at my whitey grocery stores, but I'm on the hunt.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Anyone have a recipe they'd recommend for good Cuban bread?

Still haven't found lard yet at my whitey grocery stores, but I'm on the hunt.

Walmart carries lard. And the recipe on weissman's channel worked pretty well for me when I made it.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I answered my own question, Im dumb.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 7, 2020

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
gently caress I love bread.

This is ~77% hydration (600g total water + 775g total flour + about a tablespoon of starter for two loaves). I did about 35% whole wheat, 20% rye, and 45% bread flour. Poolish started in the early afternoon on day 1, rest of ingredients joined in about 5 hours later, stretching and folding over 3 hours, shaping and overnight in the fridge, then 20 minutes at 500 with lid on the Dutch oven, 20 minutes at 450 without the lid.

So loving good, holy poo poo. Had some great Belgian butter with big sea salt crystals and it's just perfect.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I made the Perfect Loaf babka dough last night and gave it the cold overnight proof. I've decided to put off the bake until Tuesday when we need it, will it be okay in the fridge until then? It's pretty firm and I'm going to roll it out so I don't think there's anything to lose?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You'll be good it'll probably be a little more fermented testing but that's not a bad thing.

The one place I used to work at we'd mix a giant batch of brioche at the beginning of the week put it in bus tubs in the walk in and work out of that for the week the ones we baked on Friday were always the best tasting of the bunch.

Any left over dough went into the next weeks batch as a pâte fermentée.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Maybe my best sourdough ever! Really starting to get a feel for how to manage hydration levels. Knocked down the water content because it's been swampy and humid and I think that was what helped the dough keep its shape and get that awesome oven spring. Also now on-board Team Cold Cast Iron.

I also underestimated how much better a proper lame would be for scoring. Looking forward to playing with that more moving forward.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

Maybe my best sourdough ever! Really starting to get a feel for how to manage hydration levels. Knocked down the water content because it's been swampy and humid and I think that was what helped the dough keep its shape and get that awesome oven spring. Also now on-board Team Cold Cast Iron.

I also underestimated how much better a proper lame would be for scoring. Looking forward to playing with that more moving forward.

What was your hydration level there? I've been having issues with flatter breads recently and I'm trying to figure out wtf. Think I might need to tweak my hydration.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

What was your hydration level there? I've been having issues with flatter breads recently and I'm trying to figure out wtf. Think I might need to tweak my hydration.

Somewhere between 70-80%. My usual recipe is 80%, but I cut out 100g of water from the initial weigh-in and then eyeballed how much more I needed until it looked right.

What may have been throwing me previously is the recipe calls for 350g bread flour and 90g wheat flour, but I've been swapping all-purpose for the wheat and that's a good deal less thirsty.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Should focaccia done in a pan on top of a stone have a bottom crust? I did some at the mouth of my pizza oven while it was heating up and didn't really get anything. The floor at the mouth doesn't get really hot and I sucked up whatever heat it had when I did the pan. The crust on top and texture inside where fantastic though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
easily the best loaf of sourdough I've made yet. the move to 80% hydration was huge.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I’ve never noticed my lame skills (which are . . . lame :dadjoke: ) making the difference with rise. I’ve had loaves where I hosed up the cuts just say gently caress yo crust and bust out on their own, and loaves with very nice slashes be lazy and barely rise.

imo proper slashing is important. either that or being in the banneton with a slightly steeper side than the dutch oven the other was in, as the container and the very poorly done slashes are the only variable between these two (besides flour but I don't think that should affect). You can see the height is almost similar but the overall shape is way better with proper cuts

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 12, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, right now it's more a lack of rise that's my problem. I've got a loaf chilling in the fridge right now where I stepped the hydration back significantly, so we'll see how that does.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
nice looking bread

effika
Jun 19, 2005
New house rule:

10% of all bread dough gets reserved to make a little snack for the day the loaf is baked.

Usually I don't mind the delicious smell and the day's wait to cut into a loaf, but daaaang tonight was hard. The whole wheat sourdough sandwich loaf I made smelled more amazing than usual. Looking forward to a few QA slices tomorrow.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

effika posted:

New house rule:

10% of all bread dough gets reserved to make a little snack for the day the loaf is baked.

Usually I don't mind the delicious smell and the day's wait to cut into a loaf, but daaaang tonight was hard. The whole wheat sourdough sandwich loaf I made smelled more amazing than usual. Looking forward to a few QA slices tomorrow.

Why do you wait a whole day?

My recipe makes two loaves and I usually wait 30 minutes or so to cut the first one.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I wait two hour generally. I guess if you're making smaller loaves they'd cool faster?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I make decent sized loaves and wait maybe an hour or so.

That said, we tend to eat the whole loaf in a day. Usually bread making days are days when we're having pasta or something else that makes sense to have bread to soak up sauces etc, so half the loaf gets eaten as lunch with olive oil or whatever, and then the other half is basically a side dish with dinner.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, right now it's more a lack of rise that's my problem. I've got a loaf chilling in the fridge right now where I stepped the hydration back significantly, so we'll see how that does.

Yup. Much better:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nwin posted:

Why do you wait a whole day?

My recipe makes two loaves and I usually wait 30 minutes or so to cut the first one.

These are dense loaves and I've found if I don't wait a day they feel kinda gummy.