Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pipe
Good boy(?)
Better boy(?)
Best boy(?)
View Results

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My favorite thing in this show is that everyone is fooled by Pipe's goofy outfit. Do real dogs even exist in Deca-Dence? If not, wouldn't the fact that a dog running around in itself be strange? I want someone to notice so that in future episodes he has to be dressed up in increasingly elaborate and adorable disguises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

My favorite thing in this show is that everyone is fooled by Pipe's goofy outfit. Do real dogs even exist in Deca-Dence? If not, wouldn't the fact that a dog running around in itself be strange? I want someone to notice so that in future episodes he has to be dressed up in increasingly elaborate and adorable disguises.

Idk if it's meant to be a dog or a small child

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a pipe.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I had to do this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's a shame that images can't be thread sub-titles.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

excited for when natsume breaks the unwinnable event because she's a bug in the system that isn't being accounted for

also the action in this series is so loving sick, i always love me some moving cameras. show has a great sense of motion

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had to do this.

:swoon:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's interesting because in a vacuum it's a pretty rote scene but it gains a lot of spice from the fact that, in the setting, the battles are actually, literally, explicitly pointless, by design - and also because Kab doesn't have any adequate way to actually explain this. Even if he were to just tell Natsume straight up what's going on, she has no context to even parse what any of it would mean, let alone any way to actually verify that it's true.

It comes off as a critique of jingoism and the whole "war of extermination against a monstrous enemy" thing, which is really refreshing in a shonen anime.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I had to do this.

I want this printed on my wall.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's a shame that images can't be thread sub-titles.

The quote could at least be made one. "Ceci n'est pas une Pipe"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mods please do the needful

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Why does Natsume have huge badonkadonks in that scene near the end of the OP?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that's pipe...

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

oh gently caress

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ott_ posted:

oh gently caress

Ceci est une Pipe.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Ott_ posted:

Why does Natsume have huge badonkadonks in that scene near the end of the OP?

for your enjoyement, op

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
yo what the gently caress is this show this shits wild af

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

yo what the gently caress is this show

This show is: good

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

God drat, they packed a lot into this episode.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
they did an amazing job of designing something that looked fundamentally wrong and vile

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's credit to this show that for all I know, that's it for Kaburagi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ghost sex posted:

they did an amazing job of designing something that looked fundamentally wrong and vile

Hey, you try designing a suit for someone with Hugin's build.

This show has Planet With pacing and it owns.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Mordja posted:

If those were his parting words then honestly, totally worth it :c00lbert:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Was not expecting Kaburagi to die by bird laser.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Deca-Dence loving rules.

I wanna know more about the gear on the right, what the hell are they wearing?

I can't even begin to imagine the horror of seeing the hellmonsters you've been fighting your whole life just spawn in right in front of your eyes. Then you got the gears who are getting hyped cause it's literally an expansion in an MMO for them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I do wonder what the "ingame" explanation for the Gears is, and what the humans generally think about them. There hasn't really been much interaction between the two groups yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

I do wonder what the "ingame" explanation for the Gears is, and what the humans generally think about them. There hasn't really been much interaction between the two groups yet.

We know that, in the meta-lore, the Gears are just a warrior race that have presumably been around, if not forever, as long as the Tankers can tell.

Obviously the Tankers seem to have very limited historical knowledge.

Oh also that bridge scene with the bridge crew talking openly about the game and whatnot all but confirms my suspicion that none of the Tankers are allowed anywhere near anything to do with the DecaDence's sophisticated internals or operations

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 5, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If it wasn't for Re:Zero this would be my series of the season. Hell, it still might be after this.

Or maybe that's just because prior to episode 2 I had less than zero hopes for this show.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Kaburagi nooooooo :ohdear:

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
That long shot of Kaburagi getting zapped sent shivers. He went out KGB style

theGrooseofLegend fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 6, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

theGrooseofLegend posted:

That long shot of Kaburagi getting zapped sent shivers. He went out KGB style

Yeah no poo poo. I'm used to the mentor characters going out "heroically" when they inevitably pass the torch, but Kabu just...got shot in the head.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

This episode seemed...disappointing? It's like they plotted an episode-long battle scene where poo poo gets real but didn't have the resources to animate something like that so instead it's characters posing with motion lines while everyone else stands around and comments on how real poo poo is getting.

Mordja posted:

It seems more likely he's just banned from WoW or stuck in robot jail. If he was actually dead we'd have seen Hugin destroy his real body like the others instead of leaving it ambiguous.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Microcline posted:

It seems more likely he's just banned from WoW or stuck in robot jail. If he was actually dead we'd have seen Hugin destroy his real body like the others instead of leaving it ambiguous.

Mordja posted:

for all I know, that's it for Kaburagi.

As far as I can tell he limit broke to beat the alpha so now his MMO is SAO, and his Kayaba descended to deal with him directly.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CrazySalamander posted:

As far as I can tell he limit broke to beat the alpha so now his MMO is SAO, and his Kayaba descended to deal with him directly.

They did mention in an earlier episode that it was a side effect of limit breaking. Now we just need to see if he realizes the truth: that there is no spoon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Microcline posted:

This episode seemed...disappointing? It's like they plotted an episode-long battle scene where poo poo gets real but didn't have the resources to animate something like that so instead it's characters posing with motion lines while everyone else stands around and comments on how real poo poo is getting.

We also didn't get much in the way of named fatalities. I'm not even sure if they offed the member of Natsume's squad who took the hit for her.

I know that Attack on Titan comparisons were done to excess before the show came out, and it's doing different things with different themes, but it is an interesting comparison here. Both have the "Big attack, tons of people dead" thing, but Attack on Titan generally kills off multiple named characters with reputations (in the story) to establish that a fight is worse than normal. You know, "Short of Captain Levi, these are humanity's finest soldiers! Here are some quirks and scenes establishing a likable and distinct dynamic among them!" followed a chapter or three later by "They're all dead!"

Here, we got new characters introduced with the siblings that made up Natsume's team, but at least 2/3rds of them made it through fine, and the one who took a hit got to make a big speech and directly inspire Natsume and everything.

It's not terrible or anything, but it didn't get across the feeling of scale it seemed like the show was trying for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

We also didn't get much in the way of named fatalities. I'm not even sure if they offed the member of Natsume's squad who took the hit for her.

Mandy lived.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

She's probably gonna wish she didn't when she wakes up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mandy lived.

That definitely makes me think that

Kaburagi is still alive.

When you won't pull the trigger on a redshirt with a name, killing off the arguable main protagonist seems even more like a fakeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I know that Attack on Titan comparisons were done to excess before the show came out, and it's doing different things with different themes, but it is an interesting comparison here. Both have the "Big attack, tons of people dead" thing, but Attack on Titan generally kills off multiple named characters with reputations (in the story) to establish that a fight is worse than normal. You know, "Short of Captain Levi, these are humanity's finest soldiers! Here are some quirks and scenes establishing a likable and distinct dynamic among them!" followed a chapter or three later by "They're all dead!"

Here, we got new characters introduced with the siblings that made up Natsume's team, but at least 2/3rds of them made it through fine, and the one who took a hit got to make a big speech and directly inspire Natsume and everything.

It's not terrible or anything, but it didn't get across the feeling of scale it seemed like the show was trying for.

The whole point is that the storyline of the game dictated that it was supposed to be exactly what you said but by ganking the alpha the combat difficulty got nerfed and because of that they accidentally triggered the incomplete boss with the victory flag. Kaburagi used metagame knowledge to break the boss long enough to power up the super fist. The plot of the game and the development is now in peril because they didn't get the massive losses they were hoping for so they desperately have to work with prototype assets and fly by the seat of their pants for possibly years.