Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Demiurge4 posted:

I spent an hour waiting for an A-class to land a trade post to get this gorgeous fighter.

gently caress that's a sweet fighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
This Void Egg quest had better be worth it, it took me forever to find a Korvax casing and now I have to wait 24 hours for the next part of the quest.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

This Void Egg quest had better be worth it, it took me forever to find a Korvax casing and now I have to wait 24 hours for the next part of the quest.

I'm on step 3. There's a 24 hour cooldown for each step.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

gently caress that's a sweet fighter

It lands on any trade post on the same planet. You could wait around for an S class but I'd just get an A.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Judge Tesla posted:

The living ships are really cool, but the quest is a bit of a pain and can be buggy.
There’s a planet that everyone has to portal to near the end of the quest and it’s like every nice place ruined by tourists. So many bases and markers on your hud it makes it hard to find what you’re actually looking for.
On that planet the first set of coordinates are the same for everyone and were a little buggy for me making it hard to find the thing I needed. Got there eventually but it was kinda luck as no hud marker showed up for it even when I was close and looking right at it.
A tip for the fluctuating coordinates is to watch them for a while and see what the highest and lowest numbers are and work out what the middle number is, that’s where you should be.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Judge Tesla posted:

Assuming you have a freighter you can park it in a <insert_race> system and the dudes flying in will each happily sell you a handful of <insert_race> items. It's only 1-5 of each per vendor but you don't need tons of them for anything.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

If you're specifically looking for a rasa/tie/viper then the only one quick searching turned up is:

Thanks but it needs the engine too and also to not be blue! My search continues.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Thanks but it needs the engine too and also to not be blue! My search continues.

You can search through the ship database at nmsce.com.

You can also submit your own finds. The DB is reliant on user submissions so the more people who add ships the better.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Mailer posted:

Assuming you have a freighter you can park it in a <insert_race> system and the dudes flying in will each happily sell you a handful of <insert_race> items. It's only 1-5 of each per vendor but you don't need tons of them for anything.

You can do that at a trading post on the planets too. You can scan for one from your ship if you have the economy scanner.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Helith posted:

A tip for the fluctuating coordinates is to watch them for a while and see what the highest and lowest numbers are and work out what the middle number is, that’s where you should be.

Also the destination is always going to be a structure of some kind, so if you're very close and see something in the distance you can probably stop paying attention to the numbers and just go there.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Pro tip for building: Everything loving collides with everything. All storage/connectors must be at least one floor square away from anything they could possibly interfere with. If you didn't take the time to partition things out and create multiple points where you can disconnect power/pipelines just give up now because you'll never find the problem.

Storage rebuild, number three...

Alpine Mustache posted:

You can search through the ship database at nmsce.com.

That's awesome and thank you. I've spent some time browsing that forum for cool stuff but I didn't know it was feeding a search engine. This sucker is going in my garage as soon as I get the free nanites to upgrade it:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I've been noticing a significant decline in finding creatures on planets since the desolation update, specifically when going to new planets that haven't been discovered prior to the patch. Sometimes I can go 10+ minutes on planets with 15+ different species on it and not see a single one. Has anyone else noticed this?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I can't say that this patch seems any worse than the last one, but I don't see creatures around very often - 10 minutes wouldn't be a surprise at all. If you need to find some, then landing at the shore during daylight hours is your best bet.

Has anyone run into black holes that take you away from the center of the galaxy? I keep getting sent to a spot that's somewhat further away from the center on the opposite side of the galaxy (maybe I'm just going through the same one every time, but I doubt it). An anomaly black hole in an indium system even sent me right to the edge!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fauna almost never shows up until you've been on the planet for at least a full Sol now it seems, but I don't know if that's how it was before.

I did get lucky and see one within a couple minutes of landing last night though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I don’t know if it’s just confirmation bias or what, but I think the problem with fauna is they take a long time to spawn in. First the terrain is generated, then plants and other static’s, and only after all that is done will fauna be spawned. Multiple times I will land at a site, see no fauna, walk into the outpost, and then see fauna when I walk out.

So my advice if you’re looking for fauna is go somewhere and then stay put for a couple minutes to give time for things to generate.

But yeah, it’s bad enough that I haven’t completely surveyed a planet once yet during my current 16 hour playthough.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm missing a few on the planet I started on but I also need to find some new ones for a scientist quest and haven't seen them for a while. No wonder I went to some other planets and didn't see any animals to scan.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Mailer posted:

That's awesome and thank you. I've spent some time browsing that forum for cool stuff but I didn't know it was feeding a search engine. This sucker is going in my garage as soon as I get the free nanites to upgrade it:

The subreddit doesn't automatically feed that database unfortunately. It relies on user submissions. I've submitted about 250 items myself, but the majority of ships entered were done by one guy, who also made the site itself.

When you post a new ship to the DB there's an option to also make a post for it in the subreddit.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Baby Proof posted:

I can't say that this patch seems any worse than the last one, but I don't see creatures around very often - 10 minutes wouldn't be a surprise at all. If you need to find some, then landing at the shore during daylight hours is your best bet.

Has anyone run into black holes that take you away from the center of the galaxy? I keep getting sent to a spot that's somewhat further away from the center on the opposite side of the galaxy (maybe I'm just going through the same one every time, but I doubt it). An anomaly black hole in an indium system even sent me right to the edge!

Black holes will behave this way if you are close enough to the core.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
There is a community of people who have been figuring out that black holes all have fixed destinations. There is no pattern to where a black hole might take you, but it will always take you to the same place. There is a whole chart that they have been keeping.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Helith posted:

The living ships are really cool, but the quest is a bit of a pain and can be buggy.
There’s a planet that everyone has to portal to near the end of the quest and it’s like every nice place ruined by tourists. So many bases and markers on your hud it makes it hard to find what you’re actually looking for.
On that planet the first set of coordinates are the same for everyone and were a little buggy for me making it hard to find the thing I needed. Got there eventually but it was kinda luck as no hud marker showed up for it even when I was close and looking right at it.

Judge Tesla posted:

It’s not! The living ship cannot upgrade cargo to max like normal ships, has the worst handling stat of any of the ships, cannot install an economy scanner or any of the other special mods you can buy, only has 2 weapons- the beam and the regular blaster, and takes like 30,000 nanites to upgrade the living ship mods that you can only get by pulsing around.

You’d think they’d be good after you after to spend 5 periods of waiting 20 hours for the next step, and 5 sets of annoying coordinate hunting, but I guess they’re just meant to sit on your freighter currently.

They look neat, but there is currently no reason at all to use one over a normal ship.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What is the 50% next to my starship's weapons? It hasn't changed in the 90 hours I've been playing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tayter Swift posted:

What is the 50% next to my starship's weapons? It hasn't changed in the 90 hours I've been playing.

you ever drink half the water out of a cup?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm trying to make the most important decision in this game.

What colour should I paint my freighter?

It's red with blue accents at the moment.

I'm thinking white for the main and keep the blue, or maybe teal as the main.

I can't decide which colour to unlock first.

The sentinel dreadnoughts look nice in white

https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/comments/dw9z4i/hilbert_galaxy_all_white_dreadnoughtclass/

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 6, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

hakimashou posted:

you ever drink half the water out of a cup?

idgi

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Figured it'd be fun to build quick resource farms, since you always need a thing when you're trying to do something but I hate having to juggle extended/primary storage and wonder which bin holds the pile of X when I need to construct a Y. If I could just grab a bunch and sell/dump what I don't need it'd save a lot of hassle. Since I've been saving up anomaly planets with resources that look nifty once in a while, but aren't where you want to live, I grabbed the first on my list that had stuff.

Easy 4x4x5 storage arrays. Just wanted a minimum 10k fill rate and 100k storage. Along with routing pipeline and hiding a few extra, these were all I needed. Also five storage bins tall was where the best view was.

Nighttime glowtrees. You can't see it but the larger ones slowly wave their tendrils around.

Oxygen, Gold, Sodium, Indium. VERY carefully wired up. Underneath the base is kind of a mess of pipelines attempting to stay away from each other. Portal and landing pad hidden behind wall to spoil main view as little as possible.

The whole thing. This didn't actually take that long to build, if you cut out all the wasted time learning about storage overlap. I originally tried for much smaller, but that's just not happening. 7.8k/13k power, 1204u between furthest nodes in base.

Things learned:
* Don't let any storage bins or supply lines anywhere near bins/lines from another source. If an invisible tiny portion of any hitbox overlaps you just blew up one of your inventories.

* Since you're building vertically anyway, put your temporary build shack super close to your supply. Then you can float the build camera up high, point straight down, and mash out a dozen perfectly straight vertical nodes on top of a high concentration. This led to building power/resource nodes in like 15 minutes.

* Having lots of termination disconnect points helps you A) troubleshoot supply/power problems and B) get past the soft distance limit on building. I'd have wasted a shitload of hours if I couldn't just delete a cable between two points or add another wooden floor to extend my build range. Sometimes you need to reload to get your build range back and then you're double screwed trying to just drag the cable.

* Build the fps-saving wall around your massive storage brick first and never remove it. The silos will happily clip into the wall a bit so you can pack four on a single tile, but the walls will not clip through the silos.

* In the future, use very horizontal remote storage instead of big vertical banks. The horizontal storage will be hidden by flora and hills. The final wiring to the user-accessible points will be much, much easier and you get to decide on the size/look of your base more instead of trying to hide the bulky storage banks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alamoduh posted:

quote:

It’s not!
I think they're cool because they take so much effort to obtain, and they're all very unique, relative to normal ships. Ship performance is fine and good, but any ship can do any job.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can only get those deep space anomalies while pulsing in a living ship!

Helith posted:

I'm trying to make the most important decision in this game. What colour should I paint my freighter?
The sentinel dreadnoughts look nice in white

Ok, I think I still have the bug where you can only change the color of the trim, and can't change the body color??

Mailer posted:

Figured it'd be fun to build quick resource farms,

This is the sort of weapons-grade fixation behavior I like to see!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

blarzgh posted:

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can only get those deep space anomalies while pulsing in a living ship!

I don't think this is true, or at least only certain types of anomaly require a living ship. I definitely saw some from the original generic set (civilization ark, giant dino skull, etc) before I got mine.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I just want to say that I added the Matter Bean upgrade to my freighter and it's the coolest thing ever. I can send and receive items even to the storage boxes I built on the freighter.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

I just want to say that I added the Matter Bean upgrade to my freighter and it's the coolest thing ever. I can send and receive items even to the storage boxes I built on the freighter.

I know you meant beam, but now I desperately want a single bean in a case in the center of a room dedicated solely to said bean.

Praise the bean. All matter passes through the bean. Do not question the bean. The bean gives.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

While on my Void Egg quest, I'm using this neat A Class starship I found.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Saxophone posted:

I know you meant beam, but now I desperately want a single bean in a case in the center of a room dedicated solely to said bean.

Praise the bean. All matter passes through the bean. Do not question the bean. The bean gives.

You could say the bean.... matters.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Ah poo poo... Yup, I don't go anywhere without my matter bean.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

blarzgh posted:

Ok, I think I still have the bug where you can only change the color of the trim, and can't change the body color??

I was able to paint the body white, but the options are mixed up and I had to use the option labelled 'trim' to change the body colour and 'body' changed the trim. 'Accent' didn't seem to change anything though.

I like it in white and blue. I'll unlock other colours after I've spent the 50,000 nanites to upgrade my explorer to S class.

Mailer, that resource farm looks insane and fantastic. Love using the lights to colour code the silos.

e: getting freighter salvage modules to unlock engine upgrades is frustratingly slow. I went out yesterday with the purpose of finding crashed freighters and only found one and it had no salvage modules as loot :negative:
My industrial expedition brought one back at least, but at this rate it'll be months before I get stuff unlocked.

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 6, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You get em through piracy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Some Goon posted:

You get em through piracy.

Ugh, really? Attack other freighters to get them?
How many drop from a freighter at a time doing that? because it'll drop your standing and set sentinels on you.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Helith posted:

I was able to paint the body white, but the options are mixed up and I had to use the option labelled 'trim' to change the body colour and 'body' changed the trim. 'Accent' didn't seem to change anything though.

I like it in white and blue. I'll unlock other colours after I've spent the 50,000 nanites to upgrade my explorer to S class.

Mailer, that resource farm looks insane and fantastic. Love using the lights to colour code the silos.

e: getting freighter salvage modules to unlock engine upgrades is frustratingly slow. I went out yesterday with the purpose of finding crashed freighters and only found one and it had no salvage modules as loot :negative:
My industrial expedition brought one back at least, but at this rate it'll be months before I get stuff unlocked.

You can get some from the derelict freighter missions too. I always get a couple at least.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

You can get some from the derelict freighter missions too. I always get a couple at least.

Did they boost the rewards for those missions? I've never gotten more than the guarenteed one.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Helith posted:

How many drop from a freighter at a time doing that? because it'll drop your standing and set sentinels on you.

if you cruise around capital ships, you can inspect their individual cargo pods and see if they have a salvaged frigate module. I usually find a fleet, case them and then hit them all in one go to keep the heat down. if you attack only the cargo pods on the capital ship, you don't lose standing with the race. you'll still catch sentinel heat but 🤷🏽‍♂️

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

^^^^ also standing is cheap if you do see a module in the floating containers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Helith posted:

you dont lose standing for attacking the cargo pods on the big main freighters, only on the little frigate ones