Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I figured she used a bit of the key's creation power to do this. But she MIGHT also have used Dave DNA? Could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I'm on board with thinking that her new body is still technically a vessel and she'll be able to reform in the void and keep her identity if she dies. No clue if she's able to easily re-form a new flesh body though.

GLORY TO THE NEW FLESH!

Algid posted:

If the wheel must be broken, then let it be broken.

Please, do go on. :frogon:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

In the depths of the desert, Oppenheimer achieves self-actualization when he finally finds a way to unite his role as a scientist with his deep desire to become a glassblower

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ThaumPenguin posted:

In the depths of the desert, Oppenheimer achieves self-actualization when he finally finds a way to unite his role as a scientist with his deep desire to become a glassblower

lmao

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean it could be both

But why should it be? What's the point of going into a weird nitty-gritty genetics thing when there's already a different precedent that doesn't clash with the much more straightforward and thematically consistent reading? What's the point of bringing in the key when Royalty means she can do it on her own? To me, all that reading does is undercut what she did and muddy the thematic waters.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Tendales posted:

I kind of hope they don't. White Chain is the only angel we've seen that has a specifically human self-image. Maybe Juggs, too. The rest of the angels? If they start deciding to incarnate in the flesh the comic's going to turn into a spinoff of Andrew Hussie's old Humanimals comics.

I hope vigilant gaze joins the flesh team and gets to become a big happy cow :)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

But why should it be? What's the point of going into a weird nitty-gritty genetics thing when there's already a different precedent that doesn't clash with the much more straightforward and thematically consistent reading? What's the point of bringing in the key when Royalty means she can do it on her own? To me, all that reading does is undercut what she did and muddy the thematic waters.

Because then it introduces the element of her literally being Solomon Dave's daughter, which could be interesting to deal with.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because then it introduces the element of her literally being Solomon Dave's daughter, which could be interesting to deal with.

Undercutting White Chain's climactic moment so she can more effectively pull at SD's heartstrings does not sound like a good trade-off to me.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 5, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Undercutting White Chain's climactic moment so she can more effectively pull at SD's heartstrings does not sound like a good trade-off to me.

The Diamond Paternum who only bears sons, after losing his original daughters millennia ago, could potentially shatter from being forcibly reminded of them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If anything, I’d figure Solomon is about to be royally pissed at someone taking on (what appears to be) his likeness in a feminine form. Especially when it’s in the public venue of his empire.

Remember, he very deliberately worked to ensure that he never had any daughters; he seems more the type to see the new White Chain as a mockery of him and his works, rather than being the turning point to get him to start softening up. He’s probably about to do something that shatters the view of being a “harsh, but just” indomitable and infallible ruler to his people.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Red Bones posted:

I hope vigilant gaze joins the flesh team and gets to become a big happy cow :)

Glory to the new flesh.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Diamond Paternum who only bears sons, after losing his original daughters millennia ago, could potentially shatter from being forcibly reminded of them.

Solly D's rings are probably going to be clattering to the ground next update. He has already lost, and he hasn't even seen what she looks like.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Why would it undercut anything? It could be both things. It's all just speculation anyway until we see where Abaddon takes it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
noooo you cant just substantiate in human form through nebulous interactions of will and soul after five years of narrative establishing that inherent truth is a fake idea, its wish fulfilmenterino

haha white chain go hhhhhhh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lmao the thread after this update

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

paranoid randroid posted:

noooo you cant just substantiate in human form through nebulous interactions of will and soul after five years of narrative establishing that inherent truth is a fake idea, its wish fulfilmenterino

haha white chain go hhhhhhh

:emptyquote:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr Subterfuge posted:

At least he'll finally have offspring that doesn't disappoint him, sort of

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

RBA Starblade posted:

At least he'll finally have offspring that doesn't disappoint him, sort of

I don't think this is possible*.
To not disappoint Salami, an offspring would have to be his dead daughter.

*:thejoke:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Omobono posted:

I don't think this is possible*.
To not disappoint Salami, an offspring would have to be his dead daughter.

*:thejoke:

Now I'm thinking about that time Salamiman Dave's sons wanted to stop for McDonald's.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why would it undercut anything? It could be both things. It's all just speculation anyway until we see where Abaddon takes it.

Like I said earlier, the whole point of White Chain's transformation is its symbolic meaning. Both her shell and SD represent a tyranny of order that she has realized must be opposed for anything to ever change. Upon that revelation, she resolved to never submit to that order again. And in her moment of enlightenment, her resolve allowed her to transcend the limits imposed by that tyranny and become something new. She shed her shell, the symbol of her oppression. The idea that she incorporated some part of Solomon David, who symbolizes the oppression she is fighting on a broad scale, suggests that she could not do what she did without the power of the oppressive system, or that she still has doubts about who she is, or probably other things I'm missing. All of which is problematic for an otherwise optimistic and triumphant trans allegory. And I feel like the comic has made it pretty clear that Royalty lets you do whatever the gently caress you want if you do it right, and what she did was Pretty drat Cool, so saying that power also came from somewhere else also takes away from her accomplishment. It's also just annoying that people are saying that two Black people, whose only resemblance is that they are Black and Buff, are related.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

eke out posted:

'master' is literally a gendered title my dude lmao

Straight White Shark posted:

no no, clearly he's just acknowledging that she has completed the journeyman stage of her angelship
This whole book has been a giant martial arts punch-up, a field which in English has imported the titles from skilled trade guilds. Which is why White Chain backhands Allison for not addressing her as "Master." So yes, he's literally acknowledging her as a master martial artist after she hits him with a magnificent new attack. "Master" may be a historically gendered term, but people who acclaim Susan Polgar as a grandmaster of chess aren't misgendering her or implying that she's secretly a man.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think 'older and more settled individual who nonetheless will support a more radical program because they see it as time for new ideas to be tried, or out of faith in the younger and more radical' is a good archetype, and not really one we see that often. It's good to be able to let other people take the lead, and advise them without trying to shape them, and that appears to be Vigilant Gaze's character development.
Vigilant Gaze could not possibly be more clear that he thinks the Concordant Knights have strayed from their original teachings and wants to return to an earlier way. He's the definition of a reactionary, not a radical or a revolutionary, and encourages White Chain to stay true to the Concordance, rather than overthrow it, because he sees her as representing the best of what it once was and what it can be.

E: I am honestly baffled as to how people can see one character walk up to another and say, "Remember the original meaning of our creed. I had almost forgotten myself, but you reminded me of the good that I once took pride in. Keep it up." and interpret that as, "he wants to mentor her revolution to sweep aside the old ways."

akulanization posted:

Devils are not in fact real, and stories reflect our own world far more than they embody a perfect expression of their own “lore.”

Cio is literally constantly grappling with her self loathing from being yabalcoath. It’s why the party splits in this book.

Why did the lords of heaven conquer the wheel instead of bringing enlightenment to the universe? Hunger is not a trait unique to devils, I would invite you to consider the contradiction as an attempt to highlight a point.
If you think the literal rapacious monsters that feed on human life force from the comic are a stand-in for modern social dynamics in real life, I feel like that says more about your reading than mine.

Cio is avoiding her past as Yabalcoath, which is the exact opposite of dealing with it. She's back to saying she's a domestic woman who doesn't want to hurt anyone, which, if you'll recall, was also her position just before she let Allison pressure her into breaking into Yre and then attempting to gut Allison like a fish when Cio felt abandoned. Now, this could provide an opportunity for growth, because both Allison and Cio realized in Yre that there are parts of them which are capable of truly terrible things, but as far as we the audience can tell, they've literally never discussed it and barely even talk when they aren't having sex. Cio also is straight back on hurting people with flying paper soldiers in a death match when Allison asks for her help, and uses her moment with Allison to talk exclusively about how she's been a bad girlfriend. Which is also true, but is definitely the smaller of the two elephants in the room.

pseudorandom name posted:

those assholes were already offended by her, gently caress them, increment their numbers
:laffo: "Oh, the millennia-old literal law golems didn't immediately accept it when one of their number wanted to deviate from the norm? Death penalty." What is wrong with you?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 5, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

:laffo: "Oh, the millennia-old literal law golems didn't immediately accept it when one of their number wanted to deviate from the norm? Death penalty." What is wrong with you?

Killing an angel is the equivalent of a forced vacation, so settle down, Beavis.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m only going to respond to one bit that I think really stands out:

Millennia old law golems who have literally let the world slide into absolute ruin in the name of that law and who are currently splitting between genocidal fascists and people who support the monstrous regimes of the demiurges because they’re the authorities.

So, yeah, if they try to stop the world from changing, they can gently caress off. That’s literally the entire theme of the story, that stagnation both can and must end, and the assumption that nothing can be done to improve the world is an excuse made to avoid trying to improve the world. Cut without concern for victory or defeat; act with detachment from the fruits of your action but with absolute purpose.

E: and Vigilant Gaze literally says White Chain is a miracle and a new thing that fulfills the promise of the angelic orders, by reference to their religious commandments from the dawn of time. Plenty of revolutionaries have referenced golden ages, what matters is that he’s explicitly open to something new which he does not understand. I don’t know how that miracle speech could have been more clear, especially with a literal visible miracle occurring on the page. Maybe you just don’t actually like the themes of this comic?

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 5, 2020

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Managing to simultaneously hold the ideas that "it is cool and good that White Chain finally stood up to Dave's conformity-at-all-costs regime which brutalized anyone who thought things could be different" and "all angels who weren't already on board with White Chain's program deserve to be punched back to the void" is some next-level dissonance.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

This whole book has been a giant martial arts punch-up, a field which in English has imported the titles from skilled trade guilds. Which is why White Chain backhands Allison for not addressing her as "Master." So yes, he's literally acknowledging her as a master martial artist after she hits him with a magnificent new attack.

Did you not get that White Chain has a different relationship to Allison than she does to Solomon and somehow also miss that her pronouns have changed since the page you linked?

quote:

If you think the literal rapacious monsters that feed on human life force from the comic are a stand-in for modern social dynamics in real life, I feel like that says more about your reading than mine.

Cio is avoiding her past as Yabalcoath, which is the exact opposite of dealing with it. She's back to saying she's a domestic woman who doesn't want to hurt anyone, which, if you'll recall, was also her position just before she let Allison pressure her into breaking into Yre and then attempting to gut Allison like a fish when Cio felt abandoned. Now, this could provide an opportunity for growth, because both Allison and Cio realized in Yre that there are parts of them which are capable of truly terrible things, but as far as we the audience can tell, they've literally never discussed it and barely even talk when they aren't having sex. Cio also is straight back on hurting people with flying paper soldiers in a death match when Allison asks for her help, and uses her moment with Allison to talk exclusively about how she's been a bad girlfriend. Which is also true, but is definitely the smaller of the two elephants in the room.
Human beings have definitely never exploited or oppressed each other is a hell of a read. A hell of a stupid read, from an idiot.

Cio’s rant in the last book about pretending to be a harmless author not really being her is clearly framed as wrong, and tragic. Allison literally saves her book and her glasses and reaffirms her identity when she loses herself later. You just don’t know how to read. Yre wasn’t about them learning that they could do terrible things but both of them pointedly rejecting being a person who does terrible things because they “have to” they don’t have to and that’s the point. Which blows your essentialism out of the water. Cio is also clearly stated in this book to be happy with pedestrian domesticity, which again your devils as rapacious monsters does not allow. Her quiet domestic life is also not something she had before as a brothel manager for her abusive ex.

Also all violence is not equivalent, and self defense or defense of a loved one doesn’t require moral justification.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Looking forward to the next update to Perfect Kill this discussion tbh

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
When fiction doesn't give you what you want, That is when you go make fanfiction. so Go on and fly! Make that Cio is a parasite and Angels are incapable of change version of KSBD you always wanted!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

This also fixes her gender dysphoria. See where the writing goes sideways? Having the fairy god-father just magic a solution to her other major conflict flattens her character: rather than having to grow and find a way to reconcile her life as an angel with her identity, magic wish fulfillment just deletes the whole question and gives her the solution she wanted from the start without any effort or development on her part.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Twibbit posted:

When fiction doesn't give you what you want, That is when you go make fanfiction. so Go on and fly! Make that Cio is a parasite and Angels are incapable of change version of KSBD you always wanted!

Unironically this, don’t write your fanfic as arguments on a forum, just write it. Be like Cio! Cio writes fanfic, and that’s great (and is going to make the historical record hilariously unreliable according to a below-comic text from a while back).

Also good job on ‘if you defend yourself from the Thorns you’re really as bad as the Thorns’ those are the kind of hot takes the discussion of Royalty never delivers

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 5, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also good job on ‘if you defend yourself from the Thorns you’re really as bad as the Thorns’ those are the kind of hot takes the discussion of Royalty never delivers

"So much for the tolerant petal knights!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Who What Now posted:

"So much for the tolerant petal knights!"

They want to kill you too, just stylishly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GunnerJ posted:

Total Post Obliteration

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

What page was this how do I not even remember seeing this

Did I end up missing a chapter some how

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Empty Palm Slams the VHS

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it’s right after the sex fake out and right before they bang on screen

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pretty sure that's from the beginning of this book, when Alice and co. were living together in Throne.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-4-38/

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

It's pretty cool that a webcomic about magical kung fu girls can elicit what are basically theological arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
the buddha: achieves nirvana

dead reckoning, futilely yanking at the hem of his saffron robe as he floats off into the cosmos: what, so we're supposed to believe anyone can just wave a magic wand and achieve release from the cycle of death and rebirth?? And I guess none of the billions of other people on earth wanted it hard enough before now?? how come everyone isn't just transcending the physical form to win karate competitions