Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A White Guy posted:

Sooooo, I'm guessing the container ship....literally vaporized? Or is there a twisted steel frame down at the bottom of that crater along with all the other wreckage that's what's left of the ship?

Was there a ship pierside when that happened? Reminder that the explosion here did not come from a ship. It came from a big warehouse full of fertilizer. If it had been on a ship, like Texas City, the damage probably would have been larger because of the increased pressure.

If there was a ship pierside, then it's probably in chunks in the water and around the blast site. Reminder that the anchor from the ship that blew up in Texas City (which I believe was underfoot) was thrown two miles. The anchor weighed two tons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the story was that years ago the ship was carrying the fertilizer down to africa somewhere (iirc) and had mechanical issues while passing by beirut and had to stop for repairs, and when the ship was inspected it was forbidden from continuing onwards due to its poor condition. but the company that owned the ship disappeared and eventually they had to let the crew all leave and both the ship and cargo went up for auction

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

https://twitter.com/wonderofscience/status/1290816947458777088?s=19

I don't think those shoes are up to OSHA specs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Safety facepalm

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

It's not the heat from the lava that'll get ya - it's the humidity

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've walked on lava fields in Hawaii, and they're so loving sharp. There's glass filament everywhere just waiting to wreck your day.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I think I recall hearing that volcanologists working near active lava flows wear tennis shoes so they can tell if they are standing on something super hot through the sole of the shoe. They don't want steel toes or boots because whatever they are wearing WILL catch on fire and they want to kick them off quickly and not have a chunk of steel conducting heat into their toes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mozi posted:

the story was that years ago the ship was carrying the fertilizer down to africa somewhere (iirc) and had mechanical issues while passing by beirut and had to stop for repairs, and when the ship was inspected it was forbidden from continuing onwards due to its poor condition. but the company that owned the ship disappeared and eventually they had to let the crew all leave and both the ship and cargo went up for auction

Doing some reading, it looks like the owner was a Russian businessman. Rather than repair the ship and pay port fees, he abandoned it and the crew. The Lebanese port authority held the crew hostage for a year until it was clear the owner had abandoned the crew, wasn’t paying their wages and had no intention of cleaning up his mess.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That video from close up and a couple others I've seen have either sounds or visuals of what really seems like fireworks cooking off in the fire before the massive explosion. I also know that there was a bunch of speculation early that it was a fireworks warehouse that exploded. Is that just some weird property of the warehouse fire that looks like that, or were there other highly dangerous things stored around the ammonium nitrate?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Some speculation is that fireworks went up, because fireworks disasters are real common, and then that later ignited all of the AN. Seems plausible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Some speculation is that fireworks went up, because fireworks disasters are real common, and then that later ignited all of the AN. Seems plausible.

Yeah but have you thought about what might have happened...ON WEED?

it's basically the same thing you just said

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a lot of things a port warehouse could be storing that could miscellaneously go pop. Fireworks, ammo, aerosol cans, buckets of flammable junk. If this was their flammables warehouse they might have even all been in the same spot for monitoring.

AN disasters can be as simple as some cardboard or pallets catching fire or a Wile E Coyote skit where an arsenal goes up and drops an artillery shell in the middle.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This would require them to be storing fireworks and AN in the same warehouse, which, yeah I could believe that

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This would require them to be storing fireworks and ABANDONED 7 YEARS AGO AN in the same warehouse, which, yeah I could believe that

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Watch this one:

https://twitter.com/mama_load/status/1291012335797231616?s=20

You can see it was cooking off for a while, then there was an explosion that definitely seems like fireworks, then there was a bigger explosion.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This gives a sense of the power of the shockwave

https://twitter.com/JakeGodin/status/1291048625779474433

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are these from livestreams and are these people dead now? I know I made a snarky comment about this yesterday, but didn't realize the size of the blast at the time.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

zedprime posted:

If this was their flammables warehouse they might have even all been in the same spot for monitoring.

I like the idea of a flammables warehouse so they can monitor it all in one place. It's great, until its not.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are these from livestreams and are these people dead now? I know I made a snarky comment about this yesterday, but didn't realize the size of the blast at the time.

https://twitter.com/onetruebritt/status/1291053303032238080

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Like holy poo poo. The car roof just caves in like a boulder got dropped on it.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

if you're close enough that the shock will kill you, but far enough that you have time to react, hiding closely behind a large immovable object may deflect the pressure wave enough for you to come out the other side

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

VectorSigma posted:

if you're close enough that the shock will kill you, but far enough that you have time to react, hiding closely behind a large immovable object may deflect the pressure wave enough for you to come out the other side

Unless you've lived through something like that I doubt you'd have the awareness and reaction time to do so. Even then, this isn't an action movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

Really not a fan of how the video Mozi posted ends with several seconds of the camera lying on the floor undisturbed with no further signs of human presence :/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

VectorSigma posted:

At least if there isn't another immovable object behind it to reflect it back at your original object which is now an anvil.

I think the general course of action is to run like hell for open ground before the explosion. Unless you are some savant with numbers flying around you as you calculate the reflective and attenuating surfaces I don't think you're going to find a good bomb shelter just sitting next to you.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

Unless you've lived through something like that I doubt you'd have the awareness and reaction time to do so. Even then, this isn't an action movie.

For a bit Tory from Mythbusters had a show called The Explosion Show and one episode was him and his buddy setting up dummies with burst discs in places they thought would be safe from the blasts some pros were setting off.

Even with all the time they wanted and explosives experts teaching them about blast shadows and such, every dummy they placed registered as an insta-kill from the blasts.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I saw a vid yesterday of someone driving and after the shockwave reaches the car you can see all the airbags went off

I'm not posting it. That windshield caving in above made me think of it, because their windshield also imploded and they were further away

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Pfft, look at you newbs running away from explosions. I light a cigarette and stroll away with my shades on. If you act like the blast can't hurt you, then it can't hurt you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RandomBlue posted:

I'm not trying to make a big ole internet expert thing here, when the Army trained me for reacting to different kinds of explosion, you to get down first.

If you see a big boom, get flat before it reaches you. "Get down!" isn't just an Arnie quote.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Memento posted:

It's really weird seeing video from a place that doesn't exist anymore

Presumably those people don't exist anymore either.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

RandomBlue posted:

that's where the "if you have time to react" comes in, and by that i mean something like a good ten seconds before arrival of the shock. barring that, hitting the deck is always your best bet, due to both presenting a smaller target for projectiles, and protection from pressure and blast due to the boundary layer effect.

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 5, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

haveblue posted:

Really not a fan of how the video Mozi posted ends with several seconds of the camera lying on the floor undisturbed with no further signs of human presence :/

the last minute of the video is Extremely Typical Human Behavior, where the dumb rear end dad filming it is like "no no it's cool! look at this we're gonna get so many views on youtube!" and the wife is just crying and begging "WE ARE GOING TO DIE YOU STUPID loving PRICK LET'S LEAVE LET'S GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE"

seen that one play out lots of times in english!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah it bothered me as well.

If I am ever in a similar situation I'll leave the livestreaming to somebody else and hide under a bed somewhere.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

the last minute of the video is Extremely Typical Human Behavior, where the dumb rear end dad filming it is like "no no it's cool! look at this we're gonna get so many views on youtube!" and the wife is like "WE ARE GOING TO DIE YOU STUPID loving PRICK LET'S LEAVE LET'S GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE"

Did you ever see the video that guy took of the fire in West, Texas where his daughter is like “let’s leave, this is terrifying” and the idiot stayed? Followed, of course, by the plant exploding.

zedprime posted:

At least if there isn't another immovable object behind it to reflect it back at your original object which is now an anvil.

I think the general course of action is to run like hell for open ground before the explosion. Unless you are some savant with numbers flying around you as you calculate the reflective and attenuating surfaces I don't think you're going to find a good bomb shelter just sitting next to you.

I’ve had to take my ambulance to stand by at a few propane tank leaks and I always have it parked as far away as I reasonably can, with something solid between me and the tank and as much open space past me as possible and then completely refused to leave the vehicle. Pressure waves ain’t nothin’ to gently caress with.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

seems another commonality is a small boom followed by a much larger one. it seems a winning move to start running after the first one.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

seems another commonality is a small boom followed by a much larger one. it seems a winning move to start running after the first one.
from now on, if I see a smoking warehouse I'm just leaving the city, maybe county. I'm at least putting 20 miles between us and finding a park to hang out at.

I live within 2 miles of a rail line and the downtown docks. The docks don't get big poo poo, but a train could gently caress up. There's a website that overlays train danger with Google maps and my apartment would be hosed.

Anyway, smoking warehouse, me leavey.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

KoRMaK posted:

from now on, if I see a smoking warehouse I'm just leaving the city, maybe county. I'm at least putting 20 miles between us and finding a park to hang out at.

I live within 2 miles of a rail line and the downtown docks. The docks don't get big poo poo, but a train could gently caress up. There's a website that overlays train danger with Google maps and my apartment would be hosed.

Definitely,

At this point I've seen enough videos on the internet to know that it ain't worth sticking around for cred.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve had to take my ambulance to stand by at a few propane tank leaks and I always have it parked as far away as I reasonably can, with something solid between me and the tank and as much open space past me as possible and then completely refused to leave the vehicle. Pressure waves ain’t nothin’ to gently caress with.

A former uncle of mine was a volunteer firefighter in rural-ish Iowa (Ely, on the edge of Cedar Rapids). "If you see a propane tank anywhere close to the fire, hold your thumb between it and your eyes. Can you still see the tank? You're too close."

Considering that I have personally witnessed that same fire department royally gently caress up controlled burns for training purposes, I took his advice to heart.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

There’s a rail line near a major bridge not far from my apartment and if something goes wrong with one of those CSX trains it’s gonna be bad

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a bevy of BLEVEs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/jessphoenix2018/status/1291069803189346305