Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Man I gotta say, you've put yourself in a dark world where you can't play Witcher 3. It's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

this thread seems to regularly attract actual self-owning culture warriors, maybe the topic needs clarification

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Its Chocolate posted:

they didn't say they preferred female characters or enjoyed them, they said they refuse to play any game where you can't. that's the part that's ridiculous
there is no shortage of games to play, I posted, for woke reasons

excluding an arbitrary category, for woke reasons, is a valid way of freeing up time and money to play other good games

a bunch of idiot rapists running a massive company doesn't mean that choosing not to play games where you can't play as a woman is """""autistic""""" and/or """""insane"""""

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i remember when xenosaga was about to come out and it was revealed that the main character was a woman. lots of mad posts about it on gamefaqs lmao

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Its Chocolate posted:

they didn't say they preferred female characters or enjoyed them, they said they refuse to play any game where you can't. that's the part that's ridiculous

And you just knew this was for woke reasons, through some unspecified means. Care to share your thought process with the class?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Man I gotta say, you've put yourself in a dark world where you can't play Witcher 3. It's so good

I don't really have fun when I play as a man in an rpg. :shrug: I love the world of the Witcher but I just read the books and that was much more enjoyable for me. Now if they ever make a Ciri lead game I'll be all over that.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Pththya-lyi posted:

And you just knew this was for woke reasons, through some unspecified means. Care to share your thought process with the class?

cuz they haven't denied it and there aren't any other conceivable ones

90s Cringe Rock posted:

there is no shortage of games to play, I posted, for woke reasons

excluding an arbitrary category, for woke reasons, is a valid way of freeing up time and money to play other good games

a bunch of idiot rapists running a massive company doesn't mean that choosing not to play games where you can't play as a woman is """""autistic""""" and/or """""insane"""""

sure, and of all the criteria you could use to narrow down your games that one's mockable. it's like saying you won't play any game without anti-aliasing. you're gonna miss out on good stuff for no good reason, like

Jewel Repetition posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
this is the weirdest derail.No one cares what dumb arbitrary reasons you play a game

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I myself prefer to play male characters, as I'm a dude. Recently I've branched out with games like Alien:Isolation but if the game gives me the option I'll play a dude. I just think that the option to play a woman in games where the protagonist is customizable should be there if it's at all possible because I'm sure there are a lot of women who do not want to play a dude, just like I would prefer not to play a woman.

I'd gladly give up voice acting for the protagonist for it, I always play with subtitles on anyway.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Its Chocolate posted:

cuz they haven't denied it and there aren't any other conceivable ones

So it's inconceivable that they could be a woman and want to play as someone of their own gender? Or would that be "arbitrary and woke?"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Telling someone that their fun is wrong because they don't like playing self insert fantasies where they can't easily self insert because their gender expression isn't available is some dumb poo poo.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Pththya-lyi posted:

So it's inconceivable that they could be a woman and want to play as someone of their own gender? Or would that be "arbitrary and woke?"

it's not conceivable to me that you would flat-out refuse to consider games that don't allow you to play as your own gender without some wokeness contributing. like if I knew a guy who wouldn't play Metroid or Celeste I would assume he was also doing it for woke reasons but right-wing ones instead of left-wing

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Its Chocolate posted:

it's not conceivable to me that you would flat-out refuse to consider games that don't allow you to play as your own gender without some wokeness contributing. like if I knew a guy who wouldn't play Metroid or Celeste I would assume he was also doing it for woke reasons but right-wing ones instead of left-wing

Who is doing this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

An insane mind posted:

I myself prefer to play male characters, as I'm a dude. Recently I've branched out with games like Alien:Isolation but if the game gives me the option I'll play a dude. I just think that the option to play a woman in games where the protagonist is customizable should be there if it's at all possible because I'm sure there are a lot of women who do not want to play a dude, just like I would prefer not to play a woman.

I'd gladly give up voice acting for the protagonist for it, I always play with subtitles on anyway.

The proportion of women as the default main character in video games has remained in single digits for a while now (gonna go out on a limb and say that sexist shitfuck who just got shown the door at Ubisoft is probably one of many of his ilk in the industry), but there is a clear downward trend in the same for men after a recent peak in 2016 (I wonder why :magemage:).

Apparently roughly 2/3 now have the option to customise the sex of their character, and that has been rising steadily.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Eimi posted:

I love the world of the Witcher but I just read the books and that was much more enjoyable for me. Now if they ever make a Ciri lead game I'll be all over that.

Theres some parts in witcher where you play ciri and theyre pretty cool. Short though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Its Chocolate posted:

Those aren't the same as an incredibly long rpg where you are self inserting as the power fantasy lead. And you absolutely are doing that for Geralt. Like I played DMCV recently and that game is great. Or even FF7r because as a jrpg it isn't as self inserty. It also helps that Dante is just cool as hell and Cloud is pretty.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Eimi posted:

Those aren't the same as an incredibly long rpg where you are self inserting as the power fantasy lead. And you absolutely are doing that for Geralt. Like I played DMCV recently and that game is great. Or even FF7r because as a jrpg it isn't as self inserty. It also helps that Dante is just cool as hell and Cloud is pretty.

I dunno, I didn't really self-insert as Geralt. he has his own defined personality and it's different from mine. I took the roleplaying more to be like choosing what kind of Geralt he is and doing moral algebra. plus I dunno if Witcher 3 is a power fantasy, like one of the goals of the design is to make the fights with the monsters desperate and dirty rather than beautiful and heroic

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Its Chocolate posted:

You know, I actually agree with you that "the newest games let you play as a woman character and I only want to play as a woman" is not a good enough reason to buy an Ubisoft game in the near future. But at this point I think Dameius already summed it up:

Dameius posted:

Telling someone that their fun is wrong because they don't like playing self insert fantasies where they can't easily self insert because their gender expression isn't available is some dumb poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If I'm given the option I'll go male because I am male. Now in games that give me the option and are replayable, such as Fallout: New Vegas, I'll switch back and forth. So the first run I'll play a male, as if I was myself, then on the second run I'll play as a woman, and do the opposite of what I did the first time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Its Chocolate posted:

cuz they haven't denied it and there aren't any other conceivable oone

what

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Vagabundo posted:

The proportion of women as the default main character in video games has remained in single digits for a while now (gonna go out on a limb and say that sexist shitfuck who just got shown the door at Ubisoft is probably one of many of his ilk in the industry), but there is a clear downward trend in the same for men after a recent peak in 2016 (I wonder why :magemage:).

Apparently roughly 2/3 now have the option to customise the sex of their character, and that has been rising steadily.

I'm gonna go ahead and be captain pedantic on this, but the shitfucks let go so far were "allowed to leave" rather than "shown the door" meaning they basically got their golden parachutes packed, checked, double checked, re-packed and triple-checked before leaving.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

what

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Its Chocolate posted:

I dunno, I didn't really self-insert as Geralt. he has his own defined personality and it's different from mine. I took the roleplaying more to be like choosing what kind of Geralt he is and doing moral algebra. plus I dunno if Witcher 3 is a power fantasy, like one of the goals of the design is to make the fights with the monsters desperate and dirty rather than beautiful and heroic

Yeah, Geralt is definitely his own character. Witcher 3 is a nice break from most RPGs as you're not so much playing a blank canvas, as you are stepping into the shoes of someone who's had a life before the game, and will after the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
eh most RPGs now a days doesn’t do the self insert anymore.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

If I'm given the option I'll go male because I am male. Now in games that give me the option and are replayable, such as Fallout: New Vegas, I'll switch back and forth. So the first run I'll play a male, as if I was myself, then on the second run I'll play as a woman, and do the opposite of what I did the first time.
I mean I'm a guy but always pick women because they have better outfit options 99% of the time when you're given a choice. It takes some very good beard optimization for me to pick male at character select.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
i definitely see an appreciable difference between "experiencing a story as a character" vs "experiencing a character's story"

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean I'm a guy but always pick women because they have better outfit options 99% of the time when you're given a choice. It takes some very good beard optimization for me to pick male at character select.

I'd say there's more than 1% of the time where men have better outfits because of games where the female outfits are just skimpy versions of the male ones. that doesn't happen as much nowadays but in the early 2010s it was more common

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't play MMOs besides runescape.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Geez, maybe try reading some books nerds :smug:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
excuse me but i've read through vaatividya's collected memoirs of lordran at least 17 times thank you very much

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

smug jeebus posted:

Geez, maybe try reading some books nerds :smug:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It strikes me as an odd line to draw but I've never been someone who self-inserts into games even when you make your own character. If you do and it really does detract from your enjoyment that much, doesn't seem to be all that unreasonable?

Marx Was A Lib posted:

excuse me but i've read through vaatividya's collected memoirs of lordran at least 17 times thank you very much

As someone who can't afford a PS4 but was really interested in Bloodborne, that dude's poo poo was really cool

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, Geralt is definitely his own character. Witcher 3 is a nice break from most RPGs as you're not so much playing a blank canvas, as you are stepping into the shoes of someone who's had a life before the game, and will after the game.

I have zero point zero zero zero interest in playing this type of rpg, I never have had any :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It strikes me as an odd line to draw but I've never been someone who self-inserts into games even when you make your own character. If you do and it really does detract from your enjoyment that much, doesn't seem to be all that unreasonable?

Yeah I get the most fun from self inserting in that type of choice heavy rpg and making the choices I would do, not sitting there and thinking what would Geralt/Commander Shepard/etc. do? If you just want to tell a set character story the jrpg method is better for me where you have 0 impact on anything that happens.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
ban games; ban gamers

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
nobody should care about self-inserting as the main character in games bc the stories are all too lovely for it to matter and seeking self-representation in power fantasy characterizations is like expecting to realize deep personal revelations from a chuck tingle novel, stop crying for aerith bideo games aren't art, they're for making a cartoon plumber stomp on turtles, thx and goonbless

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The biggest video game that has come out in 2020 so far is a game where you can only play as women, and they are both insanely violent rambo ninjas that fullfill the most gruesome power fantasies imaginable, with all the blood and gore and giblets loving rendered in HD.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

nobody should care about self-inserting as the main character in games bc the stories are all too lovely for it to matter and seeking self-representation in power fantasy characterizations is like expecting to realize deep personal revelations from a chuck tingle novel, stop crying for aerith bideo games aren't art, they're for making a cartoon plumber stomp on turtles, thx and goonbless

got to give credit I expected the Ur goon opinion to come up a lot sooner

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Just lol if you dont do the literal opposite of what you would do in real life in video games.

Ask anyone who plays Rimworld how fast it becomes a crimes against humanity simulator

I wouldn't normally harvest organs to sell and cut of feet of prisoners to prevent them from running away when they have a psychotic break from having their organs harvested, but in video games its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flesh Forge posted:

I have zero point zero zero zero interest in playing this type of rpg, I never have had any :shrug:

Wow, how does it feel to not experience joy?