Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I remember them stopping our bus to Dublin and getting us to walk over a disinfectant mat during the mad cow disease thing.

There is only one way onto the bus, the driver has definitely the power to tell you to gently caress off if he/she doesn't want you on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you don't see the difference between one bus driver and maybe an "inspector" vs however many shitlords want to get on with no mask vs the state accosting a person as they are within the secure area of Dublin Airport which has its own police force and holding facilities on hand then I don't know what to tell you.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

There is only one way onto the bus

:wrong:

You can get a mate to open the fire exit or you can use the emergency stop button and smash a fire winda to get in. You have been in the south too long and have gone all soft imo :laugh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or just literally never seen a Dublin Bus. Let's not count that possibility out.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Well yes being serious, no bus driver is paid enough to put up with the amount of grief that will come from trying to tell the general public what to do

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I heard stories about kids in the 80's/90's who would jump out of the top floor of the Double Decker bus onto the bus shelters rather than go down the stairs.

It's why they called the Tallaght route the Bay Route back in the day.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The window would've had to have been broken. They never opened wide enough for even small kids to do that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Fair enough, was thinking more of the Goldliner/Bus Eireann single decker long distance ones. Not the city ones with multiple doors.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The window would've had to have been broken. They never opened wide enough for even small kids to do that.
The old ones used to slide forwards and backwards. I saw kids doing it on the Malahide road in the late 90's and also using that same functionality to construct Yop cannons to coat people in yoghurt.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Fair enough, was thinking more of the Goldliner/Bus Eireann single decker long distance ones. Not the city ones with multiple doors.

I like those buses. If it's dark out when you're on the motorway you can put on your overhead reading light :cool: and use the free wifi and pretend like you're an important businessmin on a plane going somewhere nice instead of to Belfast or Derry

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The old ones used to slide forwards and backwards. I saw kids doing it on the Malahide road in the late 90's and also using that same functionality to construct Yop cannons to coat people in yoghurt.

I remember when the buses where orange and I honestly can't remember a time when the bus window wasn't a narrow part at the top whether it slid or not. You'd want to be tiny to fit through one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Well Leo went and did a Tory Party.

https://twitter.com/FancyVegasPro/status/1287733383175577602?s=19

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Don't know if Leo really cares anymore. He's Tanaiste and for him that's already a death sentence.

My keyboard wanted to autocorrect Tanaiste to Satanist... :stare:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I remember when the buses where orange and I honestly can't remember a time when the bus window wasn't a narrow part at the top whether it slid or not. You'd want to be tiny to fit through one.
This is from when they were green through the weird cream with orange and blue stripes era.

ETA: also by "kids" we're talking pre-teens, anything older would just try fight the bus driver/conductor.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So the Government has announced a U-turn on removing people's PUP payments if they go on holidays to a Green List country.

Which makes sense. They had originally announced that the payments would be suspended 2 weeks ago when the official advice was "don't loving go abroad. There is a pandemic on lads."
It only became stupid when they said "you can go on holiday but only to these specific countries." With a side of "but if you go to those countries we will find a way to punish you for it."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It also doesn't make any sense to penalise people for going on holidays when their job is shut down temporarily

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The only possible way an FF/FG goverment will give you money for "sittin' on yer hole" is if you're one of their TDs

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

It also doesn't make any sense to penalise people for going on holidays when their job is shut down temporarily

Also, you are allowed two weeks holiday on JSA. Sure, maybe you shouldn't travel at the current moment, but there is no reasonable argument for people getting their payments cut.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Nessa Hourigan just rebelled against the government and voted in favour of multiple amendments to the Tenancy Bill and voted against the unammended bill - feel like that's the whip gone from her anyway, might make the Greens a bit uncomfortable to enforce that discipline.

Also one Green Junior Minister abstained on the final vote - FF and FG backbenchers will be baying for blood there as they have been whipped to death to back this

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Between this and having to sack a minister and the pay cuts fiasco it's really quite impressive the speed at which this government is managing to gently caress things up

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
FF & FG both had TDs vote against the government earlier in the week during the PUP holiday fiasco too. They're already really going to struggle to enforce discipline which must be some sort of record.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I still reckon it'll not last beyond six months from when they formed.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I still reckon it'll not last beyond six months from when they formed.

Not sure if the Greens are gonna last it the way things are going but the new Regional Group (Grealish, Naughton, Canney, Lowry, Toibin and some others) might give them a few more votes to remain in the majority as they seem to be backing them on a couple of the spicier bills

They where previously not to keen as they thought they'd be targets for opposition reprisals come another election but who knows if it comes down to make or break

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The rural INDs will keep it (somewhat unstably) over 80 even without the Greens. If the carrot of pork barrel spending doesn't get them the stick of the threat of an SF government/another election will.

It'll last until the FF backbenchers get enough nerve to shaft Micheál Martin I'd say. They'll use a new leader as an excuse to drop out of government - "we never agreed to this, it was all MM's deal". Then it'll just come to polling numbers at the time: if FF are still in the low teens they'll be too terrified to go back to the electorate, so might negotiate with SF. But if they're back to polling a "reasonable" number it'll be election time.

It just remains to be seen when MM gets shafted - is it sooner, due to repeated government fuckups like the last few weeks? Or in 2 years just before Leo is meant to take over again?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
With all the gently caress ups in the short life span of this government so far, it’s no wonder they’re desperate to go on holidays. Ridiculous that they can take a 6 week break when there’s still so many open issues.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
People are pointing out that Leo's TV appearence would normally be enough to get any other Minister sacked by the Taoiseach, so the rumours are that the department being willing to cover up for him undermines Martin and is already putting a strain on the FF/FG partnership. Amazing :allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jack Russell thrown at Garda Russell during 'Free State bastards' argument.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Dutch Gold. When you can't afford Buckfast.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Lol the vintners association is going to pull down the government.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I want it to be known that I hate the Vitners association and view them as a group that makes their living by exploiting Irish society's toxic relationship with alcohol.
And that their overwhelming concern in this health crisis has been them earning money over peoples lives.

That being said, given that the date has been pushed back twice know, they should probably be allowed avail of the same financial supports being offered to other businesses shut due to Covid. Just on a fair procedures basis.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I honestly can't believe we're actually opening the schools :/

this is gonna be one of those things people look back on and wonder "what the gently caress were we thinking?!"

gently caress. like theres only one way this goes

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Schools are just day care to keep workers working. It's a foundation of Liberal capitalism so it has to be seen to happen. Even if they are closed again in a month and a bunch of kids die/grow up with ruined lungs.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mackers posted:

I honestly can't believe we're actually opening the schools :/

this is gonna be one of those things people look back on and wonder "what the gently caress were we thinking?!"

gently caress. like theres only one way this goes

I'm fairly certain that'll get tossed out about a month in, when a few start getting cases from kids back from their holidays.

I'm far more worried about the cases only coming out from the factories, like they are probably slow enough to test in the first place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

I want it to be known that I hate the Vitners association and view them as a group that makes their living by exploiting Irish society's toxic relationship with alcohol.
And that their overwhelming concern in this health crisis has been them earning money over peoples lives.

That being said, given that the date has been pushed back twice know, they should probably be allowed avail of the same financial supports being offered to other businesses shut due to Covid. Just on a fair procedures basis.
Even the shittiest company that survives entirely off the misery of the public employs real people. You can't just chuck them to the wolves without that causing problems.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Schools have been open across Europe in responsible, well run countries like Norway, Denmark etc for months with no problems. Its pretty insane expecting them to be closed indefinitely, destroying children's education for potentially years.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Good thing we're talking about Norway, Denmark etc.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

Schools have been open across Europe in responsible, well run countries like Norway, Denmark etc for months with no problems. Its pretty insane expecting them to be closed indefinitely, destroying children's education for potentially years.

No such thing as a responsible well run country under neo-liberal capitalism.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Those countries also generally have smaller child to teacher ratios. Ireland is one of the worst countries in the EU for class sizes. When I was in primary we had an average class size of 32 students to a teacher, and the numbers attending the school have only gone up.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Blut posted:

responsible, well run countries

There's your problem

e: poo poo I'm just remembering how loving overcrowded my secondary school was. Like student to teacher was in the 30s but we also had an issue were the corridors in the building were genuinly not big enough to walk 4 abreast down. Which was a huge issue because every classroom was locked when not in use so between classes you would have a whole class lined up beside a door on either side and two directions of traffic in between and whatever messing was going on thrown in there too while about 500 kids tried to get wherever. Throwing a possibly fatal respiratory virus into that situation is going to be hosed up

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

There's your problem

e: poo poo I'm just remembering how loving overcrowded my secondary school was. Like student to teacher was in the 30s but we also had an issue were the corridors in the building were genuinly not big enough to walk 4 abreast down. Which was a huge issue because every classroom was locked when not in use so between classes you would have a whole class lined up beside a door on either side and two directions of traffic in between and whatever messing was going on thrown in there too while about 500 kids tried to get wherever. Throwing a possibly fatal respiratory virus into that situation is going to be hosed up

all you need is some arrows and some signs lads, it'll be grand