Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

To be honest I haven't ever seen political comedy that I haven't found to be tiresome, it isn't possible, I think, to have the appropriate amount of bite and still have it be funny, and certainly not on broadcast TV which is just full of the most tedious centrist crap.

The Day Today and Brass Eye did a good job with some of it. A lot of it was pointedly at the ridiculousness of the media but they were absolutely making political statements.

The Eurostar is a GNER British Rail class 373.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJI9KWktI2k

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

WhatEvil posted:

The Day Today and Brass Eye did a good job with some of it. A lot of it was pointedly at the ridiculousness of the media but they were absolutely making political statements.

The Eurostar is a GNER British Rail class 373.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJI9KWktI2k

No it is not :mad:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Finally Nicola Sturgeon has done what the country has needed for a long time, locked down Aberdeen.

I’ll repost my picture of all the cunts at the Lewis Capaldi gig the day before lockdown came into force.

Then from Friday night outside a local pub.

I’ll be really interested to see the age of the confirmed cases this time around.

A certain fudge maker must be glad he moved away. (Not creeping, we spoke about LARPing here in the past, a very long time ago)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Largely missed out on Podcast chat today thanks to it being My Birthday (not a big one, that was last year) but is there a particular reason nobody's mentioned WTDATW?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
We Don't Talk About The Weather is great, really informed and honest about the state of modern Britain / the left. The three parter about Robert Maxwell the have just finished is a real eye opener. Their one on Living Marxism / Spiked was a fascinating dive into that definitely not an op. Also I really really liked the episodes on uk police dramas / copaganda.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Oodles posted:

I’ll repost my picture of all the cunts at the Lewis Capaldi gig the day before lockdown came into force.

Then from Friday night outside a local pub.

I’ll be really interested to see the age of the confirmed cases this time around.

A certain fudge maker must be glad he moved away. (Not creeping, we spoke about LARPing here in the past, a very long time ago)

I had in fact completely forgotten about that!

But yeah, it was nice to move back to somewhere with like.. colours. ;p Knowing what Aberdeen was like when I was there (a scary loving number of years ago now) part of me can’t blame people for wanting to forget everything through boozing..

And then the realistic part of me reminds me that they’re idiots who are putting everyone else at risk. :p

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I had the cheerful sight this morning of my local butcher and a meat delivery driver huffing and wheezing all over each other as they worked to unload cases of meat out the back of the latter's van. No masks, not even a token attempt at social distancing. And that driver is presumably driving all over our rural county to make multiple deliveries. So that's awesome lol.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

communism bitch posted:

I had the cheerful sight this morning of my local butcher and a meat delivery driver huffing and wheezing all over each other as they worked to unload cases of meat out the back of the latter's van. No masks, not even a token attempt at social distancing. And that driver is presumably driving all over our rural county to make multiple deliveries. So that's awesome lol.

The joy of diseases spread via prolongued, close contact is that you either nobody you know has had it, or everyone you know has had it. There's lots of media fuss whenever a Covid-truther dies from it, but they're the outliers. In truth there are many people who will emerge from this pandemic with their belief that we over-reacted intact, because nobody they knew were ill. The longer this weird pandemic-but-not-a-pandemic response has gone on, and the less frequently the statistics are published, the more people are slipping into this way of thinking.

And then it won't matter anymore because Brexit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're hurting for an insight into the mind of the last remaining Lib Dem, my dad thinks Keir's doing a great job because he "duffs up Boris every week at PMQs" and this is apparently slowly wearing away Boris's personal confidence.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kier gets Boris up the duff each week

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gh0stpinballa posted:

as if 2020 couldn't get any worse, the CIA have decided to give this doughy midlands gamer a book deal

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1290564534223212544?s=19

Haha this title is extremely on the nose

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

If you're hurting for an insight into the mind of the last remaining Lib Dem, my dad thinks Keir's doing a great job because he "duffs up Boris every week at PMQs" and this is apparently slowly wearing away Boris's personal confidence.

Is he on my FB friends because I saw a former Corbyn supporter say identically the same thing on FB today. Where are they getting this idea from? Well I guess it's better than thinking Spaffer is remotely good at his job.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

See, these are both things that raise the hair on the hair on the back of my neck. "here's a laundry list of other perceived slights made over several years" is one kind of off-kilter and "this landlord is the only good landlord so it's unreasonable to call them a landlord" is another. It's heavy editorialising of things that amount to "was mean in a reply on twitter".

You can read the context yourself if you would like but IMO that's a big yikes on alice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oof, I just saw a Sky News ad where they literally say "we question things so you don't have to, trust Sky News, the news with no agenda".

Jeeeeeesuuuuusssssss Chriiiiiiissssssssttttt.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm in Soho right now and it feels like France. they've closed all the streets and the restaurants have put all the tables outside. It's a really nice atmosphere.

Now to get my 50% off :yum:

thanks taxpayers!

Thanxpayers

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Desiderata posted:

Also I really really liked the episodes on uk police dramas / copaganda.
I was wondering if I should mention it or not, because it is very very copaganda, but a while ago another poster was asking me about shortages in the police service and the risk to the public.

A TVP officer has left the service and written this, which details the shortages, the risks and specific days and instances when Oxford and the surrounding area were at incredible risk because of Theresa May's cuts not only to the police, but to other services (which then pass their burdens on to the police).

As I say it's very cops eye view so will absolutely raise hackles, but it does name dates and figures. It was also taken down at the request of TVP last year, and judging by how the missus reacted to it, I'm not entirely sure how much longer it'll be up for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering if places would do that, it seems sensible though that's a little close together still IMO. But there's places I can think of where spreading out the outside seating would make restaurants a lot more practical.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oof, I just saw a Sky News ad where they literally say "we question things so you don't have to, trust Sky News, the news with no agenda".

Jeeeeeesuuuuusssssss Chriiiiiiissssssssttttt.

Sky is getting really fun to watch these days.
You get little to no government criticism, especially over covid, and its 'experts' calling in from home are usually broadsheet newspapers.
"Now here is Carl Double-Barrel from The Telegraph to give us a report on how things are going"
"Thank you, Boris said things are going smashing!"
"Thanks for that Carl, next on Sky News Dermot Murnahan pretending to be relevant and with it"
*stupidly long ad break showing Quantas Airlines*

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Desiderata posted:

We Don't Talk About The Weather is great, really informed and honest about the state of modern Britain / the left. The three parter about Robert Maxwell the have just finished is a real eye opener. Their one on Living Marxism / Spiked was a fascinating dive into that definitely not an op. Also I really really liked the episodes on uk police dramas / copaganda.

Yeah I really love WDTATW, it and Desolation Radio get the balance right between well-researched deep dives (and particularly good interviews in Deso's case) and amusing political shite talk. I do like the other usual suspect leftist podcasts, but I often feel like I have to put a bit more effort into those 2 and as a result I get more out of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yikes Alice

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

communism bitch posted:

I was out earlier, walking around my mostly quiet village with a mask on because I'm just in the habit of wearing it any time I go out past the garden gate & saw the bus come by. Only two passengers on it but one of them not wearing a mask & I wanted to throw a brick at his head. A healthy reaction.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lockdown hit and I fell behind on all my podcasts. I used to have like, four on the go now I barely manage one. wdtatw is good poo poo tho.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was wondering if I should mention it or not, because it is very very copaganda, but a while ago another poster was asking me about shortages in the police service and the risk to the public.

A TVP officer has left the service and written this, which details the shortages, the risks and specific days and instances when Oxford and the surrounding area were at incredible risk because of Theresa May's cuts not only to the police, but to other services (which then pass their burdens on to the police).

As I say it's very cops eye view so will absolutely raise hackles, but it does name dates and figures. It was also taken down at the request of TVP last year, and judging by how the missus reacted to it, I'm not entirely sure how much longer it'll be up for.

There is an extremely deep and bitter irony in that a lot of police officers would happily support the vast majority of things that people say they're advocating for when they say "defund the police" or "abolish the police", which on further examination tend to boil down to "only use the police when it's absolutely necessary" and "lots of things are best dealt with by people who aren't the police". Except all anyone seems to want to say is "abolish the police", and then they get surprised and huffy when people suggest that perhaps these slogans are somewhat misleading and need further explanation.

vvv Julian Assange fans and dirtbags have declared him a CIA shill because he unaccountably refuses to say rude things about American foreign policy every five minutes and insists on saying uncomfortable things about the brave liberators of Donbas. He'll cope, somehow. vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 5, 2020

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Haha this title is extremely on the nose

I've been away for a while - is Brown Moses a bad 'un now?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Haven't read your link yet, but a relative of mine joined the cops in one of the big cities out of uni and said it turned out to be 90% 'social work'. Not what they were expecting!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

chippocrates posted:

Depends how much you care about him being (however loosely) associated with the CIA, and sometimes being a bit selective in his reporting.

He's also not been a very big fan of Corbyn.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CoolCab posted:

lockdown hit and I fell behind on all my podcasts.

I know, right? I'm supposed to have more free time now. How am i behind on everything??

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

chippocrates posted:

Bellingcat exists in the group of NGOs which Western intelligence agencies fund and direct their efforts to particular ends and then only boost and publicise the results they want in the mainstream in order to create the appearance of impartial confirmation of their foreign policy goals. So they're all focused on those nasty Russians doing all kinds of things in Syria for example but aren't particularly interested in who's bombing what in Yeman and doesn't seem to put much effort into rounding out their coverage or making a political point about how unequal the wider worlds interest in them is.

Trin Tragula posted:

There is an extremely deep and bitter irony in that a lot of police officers would happily support the vast majority of things that people say they're advocating for when they say "defund the police" or "abolish the police", which on further examination tend to boil down to "only use the police when it's absolutely necessary" and "lots of things are best dealt with by people who aren't the police". Except all anyone seems to want to say is "abolish the police", and then they get surprised and huffy when people suggest that perhaps these slogans are somewhat misleading and need further explanation.

While an individual copper might well feel way out of their depth and overworked the institution of the police is still more than happy to infiltrate and subvert groups which try to address those sorts of things and always defend the government making the overall situation worse. If police commissioners stopped waiting until they were safely retired to say 'Actually the war on drugs is a complete waste of time' or someone was actually punished for a wrongful death in custody then the attitude and slogans around policing might mellow out a little.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

chippocrates posted:

He works for the CIA now, which makes him a nonce.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whether he does or doesn't it's certainly very funny to keep saying he does because it seems to annoy him quite a lot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh no you said his name, time for the bi-annual visit about how being funded by the state department is good, actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think he left permanently when he went all melty last autumn/winter.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

chippocrates posted:

Nah, it's just amusing one of the big "independent" foreign policy blogs is a former goon.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you like plastic spacemen and rolling dice then support some fellow goons and listen to the 40k Badcast

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Maugrim posted:

When I get my cochlear implant (hopefully within a few months) a major part of rehab is going to be listening to audio books and podcasts. Chapo sounds great content-wise, but can anyone recommend a good leftist podcast where they generally speak clearly and don't talk over each other too much?

Cumtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FInartPAvV0

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

OwlFancier posted:

You can read the context yourself if you would like but IMO that's a big yikes on alice.

It's a yikes, sure, but is it harassment or is it a particularly pissy argument? - and I still don't see why, given regular discourse in the UKMT, we're supposed to be sympathetic to "I'm the good landlord" arguments.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I've been listening to Blowback, a podcast about the Iraq war. Its really good at reminding me how obvious it was the case for war was all bullshit but they plowed forward anyway.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Blowback is superb and really stokes the apoplectic fury every time you see someone saying "at least GWB was honourable" or some other horseshit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

josh04 posted:

It's a yikes, sure, but is it harassment or is it a particularly pissy argument? - and I still don't see why, given regular discourse in the UKMT, we're supposed to be sympathetic to "I'm the good landlord" arguments.

I mean I've said it before but I think that an important element of class analysis is how much money you have.

Yes, being a landlord is bad, but so is buying poo poo produced by slave labour in the global south, the problem is that capitalism doesn't always give you the means to do good things. And I think that someone inheriting a house and taking on lodgers at well below market rate to help pay for it because the country you live in literally won't let you set up a housing co-op, is one of those situations. If the person was rich and it was just a way to extract value that would be different, but absent the legal structure, people pooling their resources to make sure they have access to shelter is sort of what we want? It would be better if it weren't at all coercive but the coercion isn't one way, if you're poor you are also coerced into some degree of unethical action just to survive, something which disappears the more money and resources you have. So it is quite easy for me to make a distinction between someone with money who pursues property as a means of making money, and someone with property who, owing to their lack of money, is well aware of the problems of landlording and who believes (correctly) that even with the inherent objectionableness of the relationship, it is possible to create better material outcomes for everyone by doing it responsibly.

It is, actually, possible to be a "good landlord" but being one is strictly inferior to a system where people have the right to housing and where the relationship is not dependent on the upstanding moral character of the landlord. Much as it is possible to be a benevolent dictator but they are so vanishingly rare that we don't think dictatorship is a good political structure for a country. The existence of "good landlords" is not an argument against the immorality of the system that allows them to exist. The same reasoning goes for a lot of things. Cops, for example.

The person in question does not appear to be ignorant of the problems of the world being set up like that, and if we're to use the example of ITT then there have been several people ITT who have posted about situations where they find themselves in a position of power over others and wondering what is the best course of action, and I am pretty sure our response would not be to tell them to kill themselves for being in that situation. Our political stances can and should inform what we do but I think most of us understand that it is rare for people in our position to actually encounter ideal situations.

So if she acted like that in the thread I certainly wouldn't want to post with her. And I would also suggest that getting into a fight on twitter because someone criticized a band you like, escalating to telling a trans person to kill themselves, and then roping in your mildly successful podcast to platform how you actually are 100% right and everyone who disagrees with you is a demsucc liberal, is definitely not what I would call acceptable?

Like when you heard on the podcast that they'd been yelled at by landlords, did you think it was cos alice told a trans person to kill themselves? Because I didn't think that, that was not the impression I got thanks to them utilizing their platform to present an extremely selective version of the story that paints alice in the best possible light. I would suggest that after I found out (just now) that I actually feel like my trust has been taken advantage of, that I have been lied to. I would also suggest that that is exactly the kind of lovely behaviour that makes me dislike the entire concept of celebrity, because people with platforms and fans use them to wield power over others and justify and further enable their own lovely behaviour.

If she's willing to do that I think it makes her untrustworthy, not someone I would want to be friends with, and not a very good leftist either because if you don't see the problem of people utilizing their capital, social or economic, to give themselves privileges over others, you don't understand the general form of the systemic fault which capitalism is the primary manifestation of. You are not doing intersectionality properly.

Leftism does not exist to justify Alice being lovely to people she gets into arguments with on twitter and I do not care for it to be used that way, not least because when it is, it just reproduces exactly the thing it's supposed to be combating. It isn't there to give you, personally, free reign to do what you want.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I unsubscribed from Chapo after episode 420 where they had that edgelord Stavros on. Even if he was doing it ironically, it was just loving stupid - the whole joke was 'I'm a fat guy who loves pussy and weed' and they were all howling at how brilliant and original that was.

Stavros isn't an edgelord in the slightest, he's wholesome and his whole deal is 'you don't actually have to be smart to be on the left, you can be a big dumb idiot but also think it's hosed up that homeless people are camping outside empty apartments' which is a vibe we need more of.

Comedy is subjective obviously but Stav is funnier than the Chapo boys are that's why they were laughing so hard at his jokes, they were funny.