Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Is he selling these insane amps yet? I imagine he could demand a pretty good price for them.
People go bonkers for that point to point poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doc, your father is insane. In the best loving way possible. If he drinks a beer, tell him I raise my glass for him. :cheers:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey Dang It Bhabhi, could you explain where stuff like the SLO and the 5150 came from? Are they JCM derivatives or modded Plexis or something?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

(awesome content)

Holy cow I remember when you posted this and I just thought this stuff was unknowable and only super wizards could do it and now I know a bit more and totally relate to his obsession. <3

Siivola posted:

Hey Dang It Bhabhi, could you explain where stuff like the SLO and the 5150 came from? Are they JCM derivatives or modded Plexis or something?

tl;dr: the evolution is Bassman -> JTM45 -> Plexi -> JCM 800 -> SLO -> 5150

The Fender Tweed Bassman was cloned by Jim Marshall and the output tubes are changed as well as some tweaks to the tone stack and you have a Marshall JTM45 and pretty soon, with some more minor tweaks, a Plexi. Folks wanted more gain from their amps and were having amp techs, like Eddie Van Halen's tech Jose Arredondo, add additional gain staging and clipping to their Plexis (this is v2 of EVH's sound). Well, clearly there was money to be made so Marshall added a "cold clipper gain stage and recovery stage." That's a lot of words but the upshot is it is important because this gave the 800 and all amps based on it the "thing" that it does so well irrespective of voicing. This "cold clipping" is basically the same as diode clipping on a distortion pedal since it is purposefully clipping the waveform. The JCM 800 has a 10kOhm cold clipper. Mike Soldano thought this was conservative so he upped it to 39k. This added a TON of extra high end harshness that he had to tweak the amp to tame but the SLO-100 is, essentially, a hot-rodded JCM 800 with said 39k cold clipper. The 5150 designed by James Brown takes the SLO-100, keeps the 39k clipper and adds another gain stage for even MORE hair BUT does a few minor tweaks on the SLO formula to shift the frequencies from the more squealie/treblyness to a more grindiness(?).

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

history lesson
That was awesome/informative. :cheers:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thank you!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

betterinsodapop posted:

Is he selling these insane amps yet? I imagine he could demand a pretty good price for them.
Unfortunately, even though I think this is exactly what he ought to be doing; he'll never do it because he basically can't stand people in general and would never put up with a fussy customer. There's a reason I have never asked him to make anything at all for me.

Wark Say posted:

Doc, your father is insane. In the best loving way possible. If he drinks a beer, tell him I raise my glass for him. :cheers:
He doesn't drink but every weekend when we talk on the phone I make sure to pass along anything nice you folks had to say about his work. I can reliably say it makes him feel good. Almost as good at it makes him feel when he plays that Deluxe. ;)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Holy cow I remember when you posted this and I just thought this stuff was unknowable and only super wizards could do it and now I know a bit more and totally relate to his obsession. <3
What bums me out is I really tried to get a bunch of pics of that Deluxe and we just got too busy with company last year at Christmas and I never got around to it. I'll make up for it when the Bassman is up and running.

He absolutely loves doing this work, and he's constantly experimenting with brand-new speaker cabinet designs with 45-degree baffles and various types of ports and then, when he's got it working, he take an SPL meter and measures it from every angle to judge his design. If there's very little coming out of the back and it's essentially dead-even across the whole front of the cab; then he tells me all about it. He's a mad scientist.

I guess, "watch this space" for updates on the Bassman. Unfortunately I do not expect to visit home unless new COVID cases drop to a very low % because I work and an airport and he's 81. I won't enter his house and if something were to happen....

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

But but... has he seen the tweaks Fender made for U2's The Edge Signature Deluxe Reverb?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

But but... has he seen the tweaks Fender made for U2's The Edge Signature Deluxe Reverb?

I hope they removed the ground switch with the specific intention of electrocuting him.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Joe Bogan posted:

I hope they removed the ground switch with the specific intention of electrocuting him.
This is a good take. :laugh:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lmao

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

betterinsodapop posted:

Yeah, a nice little video, some technical mumbo jumbo, and you got yourself a hell of a Kickstarter. An old british dude just had a pretty successful campaign making a small batch of hand built tube amps (I will fess up to being one of the backers). I imagine an amp built with the attention to detail shown here would be able to fetch a pretty drat high price.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, a nice little video, some technical mumbo jumbo, and you got yourself a hell of a Kickstarter. An old british dude just had a pretty successful campaign making a small batch of hand built tube amps (I will fess up to being one of the backers). I imagine an amp built with the attention to detail shown here would be able to fetch a pretty drat high price.
Maybe dump a fuckload of black epoxy all over the internals so you can protect the "secret sauce."

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

betterinsodapop posted:

Maybe dump a fuckload of black epoxy all over the internals so you can protect the "secret sauce."

Man, that rings a bell. Didn't Alan Entwistle do something like this with the circuitry in the Hohner RTS? I have one sitting here and have some vague memories reading up on it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Man, that rings a bell. Didn't Alan Entwistle do something like this with the circuitry in the Hohner RTS? I have one sitting here and have some vague memories reading up on it.

The most famous examples are Dumble amps and the Klon Centaur.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone here have thoughts on the positive grid spark guitar practice amp? I’m looking for a small amp for my office. I was previously eying the boss katana series but this seems to have way more functionality
https://www.positivegrid.com/spark

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Howdy folks,
I'm back with the rest of the pics from Dad's (guitar-related) projects. These pictures range from this last weekend to back a year or two.

I'll start off with that Fender Deluxe circuit that he is so in love with. I only have the circuit, not the whole amp, but it is his favorite (although it sounds like the Bassman has him really jazzed right now. He says, "It's a beast.")

Deluxe:

The Bassman build. Assembling the circuit:

Into the head cab:

The baffle-board and speaker load-out for the ported 4x10" cabinet:

Last year he also started experimenting with ported speaker cab designs. He builds the cabs then prepares several baffle boards so he can try different speaker configurations.
This is a dual-port that he's really happy with, although I am not sure how he's using it these days:

And this single-port, I think, is being used as the external speaker for a little Champ XD:
(Yeah, I think it's a 1x15") He likes it because he can put the port on the floor, to the side, or above the speaker depending on the room.

He also absolutely loves this spring-reverb tank kit. He has an original Hall of Fame pedal but this is the sound he really wants to hear:

He stays busy with this stuff but he's also built almost every piece of built-in or free-standing cabinetry in the house, including a gigantic fireplace wall/bookshelf that looks like it came with the house and a crazy complex corner cabinet with his own panel door design. He used to think he might produce that one so he made jigs for every piece, and sourced a door-maker to outsource the doors to. The guys asked him, "Who came up with this thing?? I've never seen anything like it." "Well," he said, "I did."

That's all I've got until he decides what to tackle next. I think he's already covered all the bases of his favorite sounds so I dunno if he has anything else he really wants to make. We'll see. Maybe he'll get around to putting the tweed/tolex on all these cabinets?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that rules

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sweeeeeet <3

edit: Given how the 5F6-A Tweed Bassman basically is all of rock and rolldom I'm a little surprised that he is surprised it's such a beast.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 12, 2020

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone here have thoughts on the positive grid spark guitar practice amp? I’m looking for a small amp for my office. I was previously eying the boss katana series but this seems to have way more functionality
https://www.positivegrid.com/spark

I have a positive grid. Without getting stuck on the fact that I had to wait almost six months from the date I ordered until I received it I’m still pretty underwhelmed. I actually got mine specifically to keep in my office and it does do that. It also has a little hum to it that sometimes is fixed with an update for some people. It’s not bad but I can’t get past the small speakers. They’re eight inch speakers and they sound like it. I also was excited to be able to type in a band or a song and have a setting for that sound available instantly and I guess it does that about as well as can be expected. Using it to jam along to songs and backing tracks is ok. It does what it’s intended for and I can’t say that it doesn’t. It actually sounds pretty good when used as a Bluetooth speaker and I don’t think I actually ordered Ordered or paid fir the headphones but I got them. They’re ok. It does what I wanted and looks nice enough while doing it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Was cleaning out my closet (literally) and found a broken Pignose I still had from years ago. Fixed it and remembered how much I love them. They are pure. :3:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have an Orange AD-15 amp that I haven't used for probably 10 years. Is there anything I need to do when I first switch it back on?

I've also moved into an apartment and would like to be able to get that sweet Orange sound with headphones. What's the best thing to do here? I don't mind get a modification done by a professional if that's what would be best.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I have an Orange AD-15 amp that I haven't used for probably 10 years. Is there anything I need to do when I first switch it back on?

I've also moved into an apartment and would like to be able to get that sweet Orange sound with headphones. What's the best thing to do here? I don't mind get a modification done by a professional if that's what would be best.

I'm not sure about your first question but for your second one, how about getting a loadbox with a headphone jack? I think Dang it Bhabhi! (who posted right before you) recently got themselves a Torpedo Captor X, so that might be something worth checking out.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Red_Fred posted:

If you’ve got the cash I really suggest the Suhr Reactive Load I.R.

It is so so so much fun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Suhr is great and might even sound marginally better? They are both amazing, though. Weirdly, the Suhr only accepts 20ms IR files (Captor X does 200ms). I dunno maybe 20ms is enough for cabs but I’ve never seen any IR files that short except for a couple bass cabs.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Both of those things look great but $500 is kind of a lot of money. Are there cheaper options?

I haven’t played for years and was never very good so I’m reluctant to drop that kinda money at this stage.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

Both of those things look great but $500 is kind of a lot of money. Are there cheaper options?

I haven’t played for years and was never very good so I’m reluctant to drop that kinda money at this stage.

weber mini mass and a mooer radar, but that's still about $300

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O hey, I was last told to expect December but my "THR30IIWL THR30 II Wireless 30W" amp shipped today. Can't wait to dive into it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

O hey, I was last told to expect December but my "THR30IIWL THR30 II Wireless 30W" amp shipped today. Can't wait to dive into it.

Did you get the 30 watt wireless?

Seriously though, I have the 10 and it's awesome. I wish it had the output options of the 30. I'm not in love with the bass sound, but that might be related to the speaker size. Everything else is good and intuitive though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Did you get the 30 watt wireless?

Seriously though, I have the 10 and it's awesome. I wish it had the output options of the 30. I'm not in love with the bass sound, but that might be related to the speaker size. Everything else is good and intuitive though.
I did, I bought the biggest one because I am inferior in the pants.
I was going to go ahead and order the wireless transmitter, too; but I had intended to wait until closer to shipping. Then they shipped it a three months early so I'll decide if I really want it later. It's not like I walk very far away from my practice amp and I have a couple really nice cords. I like how the transmitter chargers on the amp input, that's pretty cool.

I already expect to love it (for the bluetooth, and the amp control via app instead of just PC, along with the built-in rechargeable battery). I should be able to post a trip report this weekend.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Quick bump with a little new info:

It arrived earlier than expected and I set it up VERY late last night (on a work night, think 2:30 am) so I didn't have time to do much more than plug it in. BUT it was so easy to get going I had my phone music player set up via Bluetooth and the Yamaha THR app and MIDI library installed, and I streamed a song to it while playing along on my RG1070 for a few minutes. Loud enough to make me happy but nowhere near loud enough to bother my neighbors (My GF is still out of town while her Mom is in cancer treatment so it was just me here.)

In no time flat I was jamming along to Extreme. And since I didn't have an OD pedal I thought my guitar needed more hair, so I just switched over to the "Modern Special" mode and, oops, I went to work today with my face melted off. (I say this by way of apology to anyone who thought I didn't think the Modern THR version was really necessary. I'm really glad all three models are in this one box now, so I can find out what I have been missing.)

Anyway I am home now and have installed the app to my Kindle Fire10, and since I am REALLY bad with money I bought four things last night:
1) The Line6 G10T wireless transmitter (which I absolutely do not need)
2 and 3) Two packs of new 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex picks (it felt like the right time)
and
4) A nice capo. I've never had a capo and I don't know why I need one but I can't wait to try it.

This little box sounds very very big. Actually, compared to my old THR it ain't quite so little. Compare to the Blues Jr.

I am going to find out what the full 30W cranked sounds like tomorrow in the afternoon.

Sorry for the lovely phone picture:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

my friend gave me a busted ratfur carvin x100b

it seems like it's in good shape but no output; i'm gonna take it to a tech but should i try and strip it too because that poo poo is u g l y

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
trying to snag a Peavey Bandit 112 for $75 :getin:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

trying to snag a Peavey Bandit 112 for $75 :getin:

That would be a great deal. I managed to get a red stripe model for $100 from a pawn shop last year. These things have been creeping up in price and getting harder to find

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah that one sold already... angling for a different redstripe for $125. Missed a Studio Pro for $100 too. I think I'm going to sell my AC15 and another solid state amp to save space and replace them both with that.

update: snagged one for $140. a couple of hours of messing with the Bandit has revealed that it does indeed kick rear end. it has a 2 way switch that toggles between a scoopy Fender amp clean voicing, or a more flat "modern" SS amp sound. i can't turn it up past 2 on the volume dial in my house tho, even that's pushing it, but the quiet tone is great. big improvement from playing my AC15 at low volume.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 13, 2020

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
So my wife decided to surprise me with a months-in-advance birthday present of a Music Man St. Vincent, a guitar I've wanted for years. This is a happy thing that has happened, but I've been putting off getting a proper amp for years, and I just can't bear the thought of only playing it through a practice amp.

I've got a budget of ~1k, and I've been looking at the Fender Princeton RI, and also the Tone Master. I'm definitely open to suggestion, though. I'd like something that can actually take advantage of the MM Vincent, and also something solid for recording and potentially gigging.

As for sound, I do a lot of melodic tapping, like a Sarah Longfield who's Not Good, and I do love some St. Vincent / Jack White cacophonous stuff.

Researching amps has made me feel totally out of my depth, and any recs or advice would be super appreciated!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here, I'll save you the trouble:
Fender Blues Jr. Mark III. This amp has been a loving godsend and while I can do pretty much everything I want with my Mesas, this thing is a literal "Master of All" and like most of the riffs from the 2 new records for my bands have all been a combination of:
  • A Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 head going into an Orange 2x12
  • A Yamaha THR10X
  • A really beat-up Fender Blues Jr. that I got for like 250 dollars-
If you find one cheaper, go for it, but they're really, really good. Also easy to mod!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Brand new amps I would buy/enjoy in your price range with your interests:

Engater Rebel
Egnater Tweaker
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Marshall DSL40CR
Marshall Origin ORI50C
Orange Crush CR120
Vox AC30S1

Obviously they can sound pretty different from one another but they all sound awesome.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
Thank you so much for the recs! This is all really helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I've been on a big Vox kick lately so I'm seconding that. Either AC15 or AC30S1