Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spunkshui posted:

Im still waiting for everyone making fun of biden to type the declaration of independence without looking it up.

I wont be typing it because I dont think having that document memorized is essential, thats your stance.

Common guys, this should be fast you should not be cheating.

I typed the line he forgot, the really basic, most famous line of the document, that I think most federal politicians should know as more than just 'the thing'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Probably Magic posted:

I mean, there's the whole "him being president" thing to consider. I hope people realize reality does not begin and end with the campaign season alone.

he wont be able to hide if he's elected. He'll be either clearly unwell, or just merely old and slowing down. Right now, we're picking apart brief clips and rare debate appearances, we don't have a lot to go on, but we eventually will.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I have diagnosed dyslexia. You are going to see typos even with the red lines helping me.

I have a degree in astrophysics from a UC and teach physics for a living but I cant spell most words.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Rigel posted:

I don't have a strong opinion on Biden's cognitive decline because he's in hiding, allowing Trump to self-immolate. I do think it is darkly funny as hell when the GOP occasionally tries (and fails) to make it an issue, you cant help but think, "you unlucky assholes, finally you might actually be able to legit accuse (or smear) your opponent of being mentally unwell, but you can't take advantage of it AT ALL, for obvious reasons"

Don't really see why that would stop them. Attack them where you are weak is the usual strat for Republicans. Plus they have tons of videos of Biden being confused. Their path to victory is to reduce turnout for Biden not really boost it for Trump.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spunkshui posted:

I told you exactly what I saw. Something I literally have done while teaching this year.

I'm steam for hours and I have a wireless headset on.

Seems like an insane reason to elect trump.

This is clearly an attempt to dodge the question.

Biden was speaking to a camera and then wandered off camera while still speaking. Acknowledge that someone could look at that- remember, this isn't someone mindlessly streaming with a headset, this is someone who is trying to convince people to vote for him- and see evidence of him being "lost."

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

plogo posted:

To my estimation Biden has lost a step, but I think that stream isn't a great example. That was early in the Covid era and one of Biden's first streams like that, makes sense there would be technical difficulties. I tend to think that Biden should be penalized for his age (although trump has the same issue), but I think as far as the campaign goes it's gonna be a more fringe issue.

Somfin posted:

He was on camera speaking to an audience.

He forgot where the camera was.

This is evidence that you asked for.

Please acknowledge that you can see what we say we are seeing.

I design classrooms and we try everything to keep presenters in frame but nothing works. Giant monitor on the rear wall? They'll stand with their head clearly cropped off. Taped out zone on the floor? They forget about it 30 seconds into a presentation. Infrared lanyard and auto-tracking camera? They use the necklace once and we never see it again.

Biden walking slightly off frame while talking into his phone/mic is not a sign he's in mental decline. It happens every day to people who've been lecturing for decades. Right now Professors crop their own heads off while lecturing from home, despite sitting still at a desk. Treating that 10 second clip as if Biden disappeared for a few hours and was later found at a bus stop is a tremendous stretch.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I typed the line he forgot, the really basic, most famous line of the document, that I think most federal politicians should know as more than just 'the thing'

I dont see poo poo typed.

You dont want to try and you already looked it up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Are you going to engage substantively with anything anyone has asked of you or are you just going to try to pretend everyone else is a Trump supporter?

Yeah that's the thing I keep coming back to. If you had no idea who Biden was, his last six months of videos would be a worrisome. If you've seen him give a speech or talk extemporaneously when he was VP (or even a year or two ago) the degree to which he's declined is staggering.

Approaching things in general and Biden brain questions in particular from a place of neutrality is... difficult, and a substantial majority of Biden stuff I'm passively-ish exposed to is either from leftists who are predisposed to immediately repost anything that makes the guy who beat Sanders look bad, or Trumpist propaganda trash. I have to actively look for a semi-random selection of other stuff to get an even vaguely representative sample rather than Biden Brainmelt Greatest Hits.

When I do, I'm less concerned than a lot of folks in the last couple pages with Biden's current state (I think he's doing fine at the moment) - but you're right that the comparison with four years ago raises concerns about where he'll be in four or eight years.

which i why I'm more interested than usual in his advisors and cabinet, and much more interested than usual in Vice President Karen Bass #BassMass #SupremeKaren

edit left out an important clause in the first sentence

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 5, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Probably Magic posted:

This is a dumb as poo poo game to play, and moving away from policy. So let's talk some policy, let's talk about some disqualifying policy.

Here's Biden acting like asymptomatic infection isn't a real thing during the primaries, getting people killed. Disqualifying.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1239201266410164224

Here's Biden supporting a wannabe dictator's coup fantasies in Venezuela. Disqualifying.

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1274910217508196352

Here's Biden antagonizing China which is chilling. Disqualifying.

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1274899809791508480?lang=en

Like, those aren't stutters, those are just frightening ideas. You're just trying to frame the argument as purely an aesthetic one to downplay the threat of a Biden presidency. But no, it's legitimately concerning rhetoric coming from an account, made all the more concerning because, unlike Trump, these are things the staffer are tweeting out under Biden's direction, which means it's not an isolated rhetoric that could go nowhere like Trump demanding a missile strike on North Korea in the middle of the night... it has full administration support.

i still think that it's really sad that of the two candidates for president, biden, the guy who is supposed to pull us away from trumps racism and vitriol, is the only one willing to marginalize and antagonize his voters.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

spunkshui posted:

sexpig by night posted:

uh alright

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, and that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights. That among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

that was literally the only thing he was trying to say, he wasn't trying to read the whole document, just the most iconic line from it.

You skipped over it

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Raccooon posted:

Don't really see why that would stop them. Attack them where you are weak is the usual strat for Republicans. Plus they have tons of videos of Biden being confused. Their path to victory is to reduce turnout for Biden not really boost it for Trump.

I didn't say it would stop them. They have been trying, and will continue to try to absolutely no effect. They have no real cards to play or attacks that have been landing. They really have nothing better to do but desperately flail around uselessly until November, while praying for a miracle.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
I think he's got ol spbn on ignore

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

spunkshui posted:

We hold these truths to be self evident

now that i have your attention can you recognize

that there might be a difference between someone being

spontaneously prompted to recite something vs.

choosing to recite something and preparing for that recital days in advance?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think I may have beefed it by making it two sentences, those old fucks loved run ons, so maybe that's why it counts. But I did remember the dumbass 'capital R RIGHTS' that libertarians obsess over, so I demand partial credit :argh:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Rigel posted:

I don't have a strong opinion on Biden's cognitive decline because he's in hiding, allowing Trump to self-immolate. I do think it is darkly funny as hell when the GOP occasionally tries (and fails) to make it an issue, you cant help but think, "you unlucky assholes, finally you might actually be able to legit accuse (or smear) your opponent of being mentally unwell, but you can't take advantage of it AT ALL, for obvious reasons"

This is quite true, and hilarious. I think Don Jr. goes off about Biden's incoherence whenever he can, but that seems relatively unrelated to the re-election campaign itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal and endowed by the Creator with these inalienable rights: the rights to freedom, justice and the pursuit of happyness.

Off the top of my head so probably wrong in parts, but enough not to be diagnosed with dementia. Like Biden obviously has.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also, and I cannot be clear enough, I'm not saying 'lol he said 'Liberty, Life, and the pursuit of Happiness' not 'Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness', fuckin old bitch is dying'. I'm saying he got as far as 'self evident' and then mumbled until saying 'you know, the thing', which is straight up how Trump handles having to sing the anthem.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Is it better or worse if Biden's brain is fine, and he still can't make it through a softball interview without going completely off the rails?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Rigel posted:

I didn't say it would stop them. They have been trying, and will continue to try to absolutely no effect. They have no real cards to play or attacks that have been landing. They really have nothing better to do but desperately flail around uselessly until November, while praying for a miracle.

Kind of think most people have internalized that both of the candidates are brain dead and pushing it more and more probably won't help much at this point.

Pushing on Biden's gun stuff may have better impact of shoring up the conservative coalition.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

also, and I cannot be clear enough, I'm not saying 'lol he said 'Liberty, Life, and the pursuit of Happiness' not 'Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness', fuckin old bitch is dying'. I'm saying he got as far as 'self evident' and then mumbled until saying 'you know, the thing', which is straight up how Trump handles having to sing the anthem.

Yeah, because he realized he didn't have it memorized.

You can do what Biden did or you can do what bush did with his "fool me once" speech.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Brownhat posted:

Is it better or worse if Biden's brain is fine, and he still can't make it through a softball interview without going completely off the rails?

yea tbh I'm not sure what the endgame here is. If we all agree that his brain is actually good and strong and my best friend...doesn't that kinda make it worse that it seems every interview has him freaking out? Like, isn't it better if he's got a problem and that's why he went from dancing around Ryan pretty well to 'aw come on, mack, are you a junkie?!'

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Approaching things in general and Biden brain questions in particular is... difficult, and a substantial majority of Biden stuff I'm passively-ish exposed to is either from leftists who are predisposed to immediately repost anything that makes the guy who beat Sanders look bad, or Trumpist propaganda trash. I have to actively look for a semi-random selection of other stuff to get an even vaguely representative sample rather than Biden Brainmelt Greatest Hits.

When I do, I'm less concerned than a lot of folks in the last couple pages with Biden's current state (I think he's doing fine at the moment) - but you're right that the comparison with four years ago raises concerns about where he'll be in four or eight years.

which i why I'm more interested than usual in his advisors and cabinet, and much more interested than usual in Vice President Karen Bass #BassMass #SupremeKaren

This is fair and I think it's an unfortunate reality that nowadays the only clip from the livestream that's going to be clipped are the worst parts for those likes and retweets, but as a masochist a big idiot nerd, I have watched a few of the Biden livestreams and they're really rough. At any rate, even though we disagree, I think you take the right approach in your interest with his cabinet and advisors than the man himself.

spunkshui posted:

I have diagnosed dyslexia. You are going to see typos even with the red lines helping me.

I have a degree in astrophysics from a UC and teach physics for a living but I cant spell most words.

Not everything related to the brain is the exact same. You can't pretend you're an authority on Biden's brain because you have dyslexia and your wife has been treated for mental issues, that's not how it works.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

spunkshui posted:

Yeah, because he realized he didn't have it memorized.

Look at those goalposts whizz by, straight to the other end of the field.

Define "lost" for us, as you would like it defined.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

This is fair and I think it's an unfortunate reality that nowadays the only clip from the livestream that's going to be clipped are the worst parts for those likes and retweets, but as a masochist a big idiot nerd, I have watched a few of the Biden livestreams and they're really rough. At any rate, even though we disagree, I think you take the right approach in your interest with his cabinet and advisors than the man himself.

Not everything related to the brain is the exact same. You can't pretend you're an authority on Biden's brain because you have dyslexia and your wife has been treated for mental issues, that's not how it works.

I only mentioned dyslexia because someone made fun of my spelling of a wrong word.

I mentioned my wife because I was pissed off since I spend every day looking for signs of deteriorating mental health in my spouse, this poo poo Biden does isn't it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

And when I tell you that I've seen this multiple times in my own family? I'm a mean old commie trying to score internet points against poor Joe?
Unless your wife is in her 70s I don't think you're going to be seeing the same kind of cognitive decline someone like Biden will. They are not all the same and they do not all manifest the same way. Alzheimer's is different from Parkinson's is different from Huntington's etc etc etc.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 5, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Somfin posted:

Look at those goalposts whizz by, straight to the other end of the field.

Define "lost" for us, as you would like it defined.

Bush hosed up a well known quote, was he lost? "Fool me once"

Sure ill get personal.

Lost is the woman down the street my parents take care of. She will just take her pants off and try to use the restroom on any chair. She freaks out whenever her dog is out of sight and she has no idea what decade it is. She thinks she needs her walker while sitting at the couch. He husband died 10 years ago and she is 95.

Mentally gone is your wife screaming she needs you to stay in the room to "keep breathing." Mentally gone is your wife having to leave work early and losing the temp job because she started hearing voices and reacting to them at work.

Lost is fixed false beliefs. Thinking she could communicate telepathically with our dog.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Joe Biden's handlers finally realized that Onion Joe Biden is the most popular version of him and decided to lean in

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1291111736167211008

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Joe Biden's handlers finally realized that Onion Joe Biden is the most popular version of him and decided to lean in

surprised they haven't been leaning into this the whole time.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Lost is the woman down the street my parents take care of. She will just take her pants off and try to use the restroom on any chair. She freaks out whenever her dog is out of sight and she has no idea what decade it is. She thinks she needs her walker while sitting at the couch. He husband died 10 years ago and she is 95.

Do you think she just woke up one day and was like that, or was there some sort of process that may have stretched out over years that resulted in her getting to that point?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

spunkshui posted:

Sure ill get personal.

Mentally gone is your wife screaming she needs you to stay in the room to "keep breathing." Mentally gone is your wife having to leave work early and losing the temp job because she started hearing voices and reacting to them at work.

Lost is fixed false beliefs. Thinking she could communicate telepathically with our dog.

This is the equivalent of saying, "What's happening in this country isn't fascism because they don't have swastikas yet." Somebody can be mentally declining and still be more functional than end stage dementia. There are degrees to this. And what's more, the demands of a presidency, as have been shown by the past four years, is not just "baseline functional, declining but not at total nadir mental processing yet." You need someone fairly astute. Bernie had a head for facts and could still dish out numbers and there were still concerns about how his occasional foggy moments would be handled considered we are recovering from one of the stupidest presidencies of all time. The litmus test is not on Biden not to be committed, the litmus test is "can Biden handle a professional job at this point in time with this much power?" The answer for Donald Sterling and the LA Clippers was no at one point, and I don't see Biden being more functional than Sterling was, never mind the fact that the United States of America is a helluva more important thing to be CEO over than the Clippers of Los Angeles in California.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

it's actually a pretty good ad imo

especially with the electric vehicle thing

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

The Glumslinger posted:

I wonder how many of the writers that wrote all of those old Diamond Joe pieces for The Onion are regretting them these days?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Boomers love corvettes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

he's gonna take that big car down to the lake and see how deep he can get it in

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

spunkshui posted:

Sure ill get personal.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Biden has that level of cognitive malaise. Do you recognize that there can be a variety of levels of debilitation from cognitive decline or that these levels can progress over time?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Huge_Midget posted:

I wonder how many of the writers that wrote all of those old Diamond Joe pieces for The Onion are regretting them these days?

i think it was the New Yorker (?) that did a story on them, and the answer is: a lot

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Do you think she just woke up one day and was like that, or was there some sort of process that may have stretched out over years that resulted in her getting to that point?

She was a hell of a lot better at 90.

She would go to wallmart with my dad and push her own loving cart.

Did her own shopping while people half her age are in the fat scooters.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

spunkshui posted:

Sure ill get personal.

Okay, this is useful. You were aiming to get us to (be unable to) produce evidence of the post-awareness stages of dementia, something I think no-one in this thread believes, or ever even suggested, Biden has.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ruzihm posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Biden has that level of cognitive malaise. Do you recognize that there can be a variety of levels of debilitation from cognitive decline or that these levels can progress over time?

Now whos moving the loving goalposts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's actually a pretty good ad imo

especially with the electric vehicle thing

it's good because nobody on boomer media will challenge how moving to electric cars is unsustainable without international help* due to lithium requirements.

*And by "help" I mean imperialist action in Bolivia.