Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

captkirk posted:

They're *probably* going to re-open to foreign nationals sometime in 2021.

if they're smart it'll only be to non-americans (except for hawaii i guess????)

we ain't gonna be doing any better here by the end of 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Japan-gets-more-than-it-bargained-for-with-tourist-boom

Shocked to see that it's almost doubles Thailand being that everyone I know is going there.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i dunno, seems like things haven't collapsed in 6 months of no tourists. i say we keep going. sakoku 2: electric boogaloo

edit: love the new thread title

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 5, 2020

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

im a lawson man

same

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Japan-gets-more-than-it-bargained-for-with-tourist-boom

Shocked to see that it's almost doubles Thailand being that everyone I know is going there.

Note that this is growth, which is significant for the discussion because there's lead time to building out infrastructure and people getting used to/managing an influx of tourism. Thailand still has more tourists in absolute numbers and much more relative to population (Thailand 38mm tourists with a pop of ~70mm, Japan 31mm tourists with a pop of ~125mm), and it's a hugely larger part of their economy.

How to calculate foreign tourism impact varies in methodology, but McKinsey calculates Japan's inbound tourism at 0.5% of GDP vs Thailand's 10% of GDP. You'll also see higher numbers like ~20% of GDP in Thailand from methodologies which estimate inbound tourism spending in other ways.

Whatever the case, Japan is not interested in entirely reordering its society to cater to tourists, whereas other poorer SEA nations are actively bending over to do so because they need the money.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

im a lawson man

this kid knows what' sup

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

Note that this is growth, which is significant for the discussion because there's lead time to building out infrastructure and people getting used to/managing an influx of tourism. Thailand still has more tourists in absolute numbers and much more relative to population (Thailand 38mm tourists with a pop of ~70mm, Japan 31mm tourists with a pop of ~125mm), and it's a hugely larger part of their economy.

How to calculate foreign tourism impact varies in methodology, but McKinsey calculates Japan's inbound tourism at 0.5% of GDP vs Thailand's 10% of GDP. You'll also see higher numbers like ~20% of GDP in Thailand from methodologies which estimate inbound tourism spending in other ways.

Whatever the case, Japan is not interested in entirely reordering its society to cater to tourists, whereas other poorer SEA nations are actively bending over to do so because they need the money.

This is purely anecdotal, but one of my Japanese friends and 3 people at my wife's office have, thanks to the sudden spread of remote work, gotten permission to move back to their home towns and work from there. Like, they've bought houses and everything. So corona is possibly doing more for all these withering towns in the countryside that no one (except ntan and totalnewbie) visit than tourism ever did/would.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lawson has the best lovely hot-lamp chicken.

But 7/11 has those awesome lovely choko-pan twists and man I could go for one right now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Confirmed, life is good in the inaka, esp. if you're living with kids.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

withering towns in the countryside that no one (except ntan and totalnewbie) visit

Hey I go to them too.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Confirmed, life is good in the inaka, esp. if you're living with kids.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I miss Famichiki

I'm not entirely sure it's worth 11 hours in an airplane each way, but pretty drat close.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Its been months but I'm still bummed out my final rounds of job interviews got cancelled cause the borders closed.

All I want is spend my life eating konbini food and working too much, is that so much to ask for?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When I'm done in the US and ready to resume my life, I'm just wondering if the borders will open before I put a gun in my mouth. It's a race with only two outcomes!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Grand Fromage posted:

When I'm done in the US and ready to resume my life, I'm just wondering if the borders will open before I put a gun in my mouth. It's a race with only two outcomes!

this is very relatable, to me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

On a scale of one to I wish I was still in China...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

On a scale of one to I wish I was still in China...

If I could press a button that would end all this today and put me back in Chengdu, :f5:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

If I could press a button that would end all this today and put me back in Chengdu, :f5:

Ok, what if it was Korea?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

Ok, what if it was Korea?

I'd rather live in Korea than China, but if we're talking working a Korean job, I think I'd pick China. Korean work environment is just inhuman. I can get a job in Chengdu that pays more than double of the similar job in Korea, plus three months paid vacation vs five days and fewer work hours each week.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd rather live in Korea than China, but if we're talking working a Korean job, I think I'd pick China. Korean work environment is just inhuman. I can get a job in Chengdu that pays more than double of the similar job in Korea, plus three months paid vacation vs five days and fewer work hours each week.

I unironically really miss my last job I had in China - the one in the elephant graveyard of Liaoning. I had like 22 hours of free time every day - now I have like zero hours of free time every month

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Family Mart > 7-Eleven > Lawson > AEON > Mini Stop

But that's just central Tokyo so it might be different for where you are. Family Mart has by far the best frozen karaage though, and also low carb deserts, so that always put them in the lead for me. Lawsome does have very good hot lamp chicken though, and Family Mart has some of the worst. 7-Eleven is still the nicest one usually even in really busy areas.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

when will the daily yamazaki defender log on???

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

While we're at it, Go Go Curry is the best Curry Tonkatsu in Japan, period. gently caress haters, it's some real poo poo for the tired and depressed salary man on his way home at 9:30PM on a Tuesday.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’ve actually heard other GoGo defenders in the past but when I tried it was straight up garbage. I did hear that they changed the formula or something though and this was years ago so who knows.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Best Conbini is Uber eats

You get MacDonald's, local kebab, famichiki, and cocoichi all at the same time from your sofa

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont like japanese curry, nor tonkatsu, very much at all

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Magna Kaser posted:

im a lawson man

in a lawson laaaaa-aaaaand

packed in plastic
its fantastic

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive met 1 guy who was all nuts about go go curry but i always thought it was weird. he lived in hokuriku too so i dunno why chain restaurant curry, of all things available there, was the food he ended up obsessed with

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

boys are stupid

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

boys are stupid

i honestly think this is true. i also think that girls are too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been to Japan a number of times and I still have only ever had curry at Haneda. I keep meaning to go try different places but there's just so much more interesting food I come across.

I do make it at home all the time though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i miss japanese food

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
this place makes the best japanese curry i've ever had:
ルー・ド・メール
03-5298-4390
東京都千代田区内神田3-10-7 斉藤ビル 2F
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1310/A131002/13009148/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It feels really dumb to admit, but one of my favourite meals ever was at 空寅屋 in the little mall under Tokyo Skytree. It might have been right place at the right time, but I had some spicy dandan noodles and it just blew me away. I go back every time now and it never dissapoints.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaura...ture_Kanto.html

But I'm also that guy that generally enjoys going to like.. yodobashi just to go snacc on their restaurant floors, so..

Shibawanko posted:

i miss japanese food

good news friend, it turns out you can cook it!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 6, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

good news friend, it turns out you can cook it!

this isn't true. good japanese food relies almost entirely on the quality of the ingredients. it's a challenge for home cooking in tokyo as well since all the good stuff goes to restaurants.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stringent posted:

this isn't true. good japanese food relies almost entirely on the quality of the ingredients. it's a challenge for home cooking in tokyo as well since all the good stuff goes to restaurants.

I mean, yes, but also if you're really craving a dish and don't have an A/B comparison right in front of you, you can really hit the spot emotionally by whipping something similar to what you remember up at home.

The pre-packed soba or DIY okonomiyaki I prepare at home is probably disgusting by actual Japanese standards but it puts such a huge smile on my face and brings back memories that I'm not ever thinking "this is probably substandard" but rather "oh poo poo I'm eating soba again"

All in how you view it, I guess :)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Brb gonna go tell a bunch of obaasan their “Japanese food” doesn’t even deserve the name because their ingredients are subpar according to Forums Poster Stringent

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i make natto at home here so at least i can eat that, but yeah theres no way i can eat burisashi or ikuradon or something with dutch ingredients and have it taste good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

certain stuff is also just not available, like yamaimo or nagaimo, i dunno what those would even be called in english, much less in dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not everywhere for sure, but I can get nanaimo and taro at my international supermarket in a mediocre town. I bet if you look you can find more than you’d expect if you live in a place that isn’t a tiny town.