Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

AnnoyBot posted:

Can confirm- an old friend is a bay area sergeant and with overtime he pulls down over 200k. In a few years he can retire at 53 at 90%. He can juice his numbers by maxing out overtime in the years leading up to that and get all the benefit. It's loving nuts.

How much overtime is he doing? I mean I could earn 200k a year if I worked late every night and 6 days a week. Not much of a life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Illuminti posted:

How much overtime is he doing? I mean I could earn 200k a year if I worked late every night and 6 days a week. Not much of a life though.

Smart cops just hang out in dunkin donuts and ignore their radio all day, then arrest the first poor sap they see 5 minutes before the shift is over and then spend 3 hours doing paperwork. It's easy!

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
So I recently cancelled my gym membership because this isn't ending anytime soon, but before I did I had considered keeping it and only working out late at night when my 24 hour gym was all but empty. Instead, I've just been taking walks outside around the area. Tonight, I strolled over to said gym just to see how empty it would be at 12:30 AM. Their side of the parking lot was almost completely full and I counted about 20 people inside. :stare:

Granted everyone was masked up, people have been good about that in Nevada since Governor Sisolak issued the mandate, it's been 100% mask usage at the grocery every time I've gone shopping. But, man, this is the kind of stuff that makes me question myself. Do these folks in the gym mostly using non-N95 masks think it makes them basically invincible from getting Covid indoors, or am I just being overly careful about this?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scaramouche posted:

Re: Gilead, the DoH helped fund and test development of remdesivir. This might mean it falls under the Bayh-Doyle act.

Is it something that just takes pelosi to not be a poo poo to matter ?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Illuminti posted:

I don't know exactly but I think the OT rate is near $150. Also poo poo like court dates really can add up if it's on a day off.

And remember: that OT counts towards the 90% retirement calc so there's a HUGE incentive to maximize it in the last few years of your career. He's going to get easily $180k/yr for life (plus heathcare) starting at 53, which is pretty soon. And he can just get a fun job on top of that if he feels like it. The rest of us don't get our 401ks until we're 65, assuming they're funded, assuming the market didn't take a dump, assuming, assuming and assuming.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Do these folks in the gym mostly using non-N95 masks think it makes them basically invincible from getting Covid indoors, or am I just being overly careful about this?

My understanding is that even basic masks are more effective than expected at preventing transmission when all parties are wearing them correctly, but I would not want to test this out at the gym where everyone is huffing and puffing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Do these folks in the gym mostly using non-N95 masks think it makes them basically invincible from getting Covid indoors, or am I just being overly careful about this?

No, you're fine, they're just dumb as hell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah California is a great place to build a pension, then split town to buy a private island in like, Indonesia and retire

If you rent out your house you can basically afford to travel full time, because California has this stupid rule that says your property taxes never go up regardless of current property value

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Fervently wishing for Judge Dredd to happen to that principal and his district superintendent now.

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1291133215596584960

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1291041383093014529

The student who posted the pictures is also apparently now suspended.

https://twitter.com/amyliz_76/status/1290966172985364480

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1290627944705073154

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

"there will be consequences"

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

AnnoyBot posted:

I don't know exactly but I think the OT rate is near $150. Also poo poo like court dates really can add up if it's on a day off.

And remember: that OT counts towards the 90% retirement calc so there's a HUGE incentive to maximize it in the last few years of your career. He's going to get easily $180k/yr for life (plus heathcare) starting at 53, which is pretty soon. And he can just get a fun job on top of that if he feels like it. The rest of us don't get our 401ks until we're 65, assuming they're funded, assuming the market didn't take a dump, assuming, assuming and assuming.

I’m genuinely astounded. gently caress me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Illuminti posted:

I’m genuinely astounded. gently caress me.
they already did

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1291295466324242433

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

And worthy of crossposting from germany.

Cosmic Web posted:

So in NRW there will be no more distancing in the classrooms, everyone is coming back with record numbers in student registrations at our school, which means crowded classes in tiny-rear end rooms.
Students will have to wear their masks all the time, inside and outside of the classrooms. Since most kids at my school come from H4-families you can bet they are going to ''recycle'' their throwaway-masks.
Teachers will have to determine whether a student is showing enough symptoms to send home, but we aren't supposed to send them home if they are only having a cold. No word about how exactly we are supposed to determine whether a kid has corona or not. I'll be taking my laser thermometer to school to check for fever.

In good news, they finally dare to provide us teachers with our own keys to the locked windows so we can open and close them autonomously for lots of lüften. :thumbsup:
We'll also probably get WiFi and our very own digitale Dienstgeräte at the end of 2020 :lol:

In bad news, the latter will be Ipads :negative:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 6, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Man I'm happy my school system is just doing online.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
So I might be getting a job doing covid data entry at an ambulance dispatch place in town. The turnover rate is bigly and at least one person in the department who quit this week got the rona. Multiple positives in the building within the past month and management is slow about telling folks when it happens. Obviously not the best place to consider working at, but they're $14/hr, 40hr/wk for excel and phone work and it's all going into savings so my spouse and I can escape this hellhole state sometime next year. Even better if I can use it as a springboard into a WFH tech job with somewhere that isn't burning through their temp labor.

I've got KN95s to rotate through, two boxes of nitrile disposable gloves, and will be getting safety goggles since I don't think working a phone with a mask + face shield is gonna go well. If anyone gives me poo poo I'll say the microclotting from rona would kill me. What a time to be alive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reddit posted:

I recently got a job as a janitor at a high school (outside USA), the school reopened and created a few new jobs to help with handling COVID-19. We're supposed to make sure the kids wear masks, wash hands and don't touch each other or stand too close.

Apparently it's also part of our responsibilities to clean / disinfect the classrooms which I didn't know when I took the job, but I didn't mind too much.
I showed up early yesterday morning and got to work, I cleaned the floor with water, soap and a LOT of bleach to make sure I had killed ALL germs.
After that i took a spray bottle and I filled it with Alcohol and I made sure to spray the entire classroom and every surface to make sure there was absolutely no virus anywhere.

Only it turns out, and no one ever told me, that these two aren't supposed to mix (which should be on the label to be fair).

I didn't air out the class after that and this was maybe 10 minutes before the kids got there. Apparently a bunch of them got sick, started puking ?

Later I heard that they had breathed in some toxic gas which apparently is made when mixing Alcohol and bleach, which no one ever told me.

Today at the staff meeting they asked who was cleaning that class room. Only my buddy and I know it was me, I hope he doesn't rat me out, so far he hasn't.

TL;DR
Turns out i'm unqualified even to clean floors and gassed a bunch of second graders by accident trying to kill COVID with Bleach and Alcohol.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

chloroform and HCl, great stuff to expose second-graders to, jesus

how does anyone working as a janitor not know not to mix any cleaning solutions unless expressly told otherwise? if the poo poo eats germs alive it probably reacts with other things that eat germs alive in a way you won't like

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Everyone knows not to mix bleach and ammonia but not necessarily that you shouldn't mix bleach with alcohol or vinegar either.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The School Wave of infections is going to make the other waves look bad by comparison

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
its gonna gently caress up a lot of colleges when people withdraw within a month and there's gonna be a scramble to refund tuition

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

If only education was funded by the community.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's about giving people choices. This is something people who make good incomes, like cops, already do. There's even a special class of visa just for having an au pair from an approved country come in and take care of your kids for you for minimum wage with no overtime multiplier to the payrate. The au pair has to be a live-in worker for that to apply, but that's how it works in California at least.

It used to be pretty common for Americans to import a labor underclass to handle duties around the house and yard, leaving themselves free to pursue other interests and ambitions. It didn't end well.

Besides, we're not really set up for that any more. Most houses don't even have an unused bedroom available, let alone servants' quarters. And there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 million households with children in the US. That's a whole lot of humans to traffic labor to import.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw on the news Mississippi has run out of ICUs. Docs are freaking out and are pissed.

Let's get those schools open!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Illuminti posted:

The other thing with cop overtime, at least up here, is it often isn't typical on the job stuff.

Think like supervising movie shoots and directing traffic around construction areas. For safety/legal reasons you need a police officer but they aren't going to send someone on their shift so it's going to be some dude off-hours AND pulling time and a half.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

Saw on the news Mississippi has run out of ICUs. Docs are freaking out and are pissed.

Let's get those schools open!

absolutely. if we open the schools we can teach all those kids to be doctors and the problem will solve itself

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL both Twitter and Facebook have cracked down on Trump's posts claiming that kids are "almost immune" from COVID. He's gonna have a stroke.

They're cracking down on Donny Jnr as well:

quote:

The company also limited access to Donald Trump Jr's account after demanding that he remove a post with misinformation about hydroxychloroquine, a drug that has been promoted by the president to treat the disease, despite warnings from health officials that its efficacy is not conclusive and could be dangerous. He returned to the account to criticise a new line of Barbie dolls.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/trump-twitter-coronavirus-misinformation-facebook-children-a9656426.html

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mozi posted:

absolutely. if we open the schools we can teach all those kids to be doctors and the problem will solve itself

If it works in Frostpunk...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

gently caress

Please do not engage in sexual activity with killbots.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes the killbots gently caress the humans in their custody and it isn’t illegal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi coronagoons, I picked up some neck gaiters recently because I've got hosed up ears and it hurts to wear a mask for a real long time. I know these things aren't really protecting much of anything because they're meant to be breathable so I've mostly been using it to hold my mask to my face without having to put the loops around my ears, but have been stepping out to get mail or go on a coffee run with just the gaiter on. Is there a way to make these slightly better at protecting me on it's own without sandwiching a mask between it and my face? Is there a brand of neck gaiters that are specifically designed for this purpose? Should I quit being a bitch and just wear the mask?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Get ear savers, they go on the back of the head and prevent the straps from irritating (earitating :haw:) your ears. Another option is to get masks with straps go behind your head and not on the ears.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

This is violence.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Liberals are always complaining about overpopulation, and now that President Trump (all glory to Him) has a way to cut down the population you suddenly freak out! Most of these kids will probably live, and at least the stock market is okay, that's the important thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Schadenboner posted:

This is violence.

I laughed :shrug:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Get ear savers, they go on the back of the head and prevent the straps from irritating (earitating :haw:) your ears. Another option is to get masks with straps go behind your head and not on the ears.

Thanks for the recommendation, probably gonna pick up a pack of these ear savers.

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's about giving people choices. This is something people who make good incomes, like cops, already do. There's even a special class of visa just for having an au pair from an approved country come in and take care of your kids for you for minimum wage with no overtime multiplier to the payrate. The au pair has to be a live-in worker for that to apply, but that's how it works in California at least.

John_A_Tallon posted:

It's mutualism. The au pairs have to apply for these visas, and they don't get to be au pairs forever. It's basically a way for students in gap years to get to live in another country, make contacts, network, and then either go home and finish their education or finish their education on an F-1 or M-1 visa.

Just to add some clarity to this, Au Pairs come in on a J-1 Visa and can be an Au Pair for 2 years. While I'm sure plenty of wealthy people do it, it's not crazy expensive and can make sense with 2 or more kids in daycare depending on what part of the country you live in. It's about $1600 a month for their stipend and program fees, plus things like extra food, paying for a cell phone, putting them on your car insurance etc. They live with you and can work a max of 45 hours a week taking care of children or doing other tasks related to caring for children. You can't have them do other work like clean your house or anything.

Trump just killed J-1 visas along with a bunch of other visas though, so no new Au Pairs until next year.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Liberals are always complaining about overpopulation, and now that President Trump (all glory to Him) has a way to cut down the population you suddenly freak out! Most of these kids will probably live, and at least the stock market is okay, that's the important thing.

Typical liberal flip floppers! Make up your mind already, am I right!?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

A Fancy Hat posted:

Liberals are always complaining about overpopulation, and now that President Trump (all glory to Him) has a way to cut down the population you suddenly freak out!

He can't even do that right. World population grows by 1% per year so, short of the various nightmare scenarios (that are still definitely on the table), total population growth rate will not go negative due to covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

More re: NPHS from an anonymous student

https://twitter.com/futuretrashcan1/status/1291103132395679745
https://twitter.com/futuretrashcan1/status/1291103922011156488
https://twitter.com/futuretrashcan1/status/1291142621071638529
https://twitter.com/futuretrashcan1/status/1291230147790680064

Hopefully media/lawyer pressure will get to them quickly, if not the COVID sure will.