Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:agreed:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:hmmyes:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Like I said earlier, the whole point of White Chain's transformation is its symbolic meaning. Both her shell and SD represent a tyranny of order that she has realized must be opposed for anything to ever change. Upon that revelation, she resolved to never submit to that order again. And in her moment of enlightenment, her resolve allowed her to transcend the limits imposed by that tyranny and become something new. She shed her shell, the symbol of her oppression. The idea that she incorporated some part of Solomon David, who symbolizes the oppression she is fighting on a broad scale, suggests that she could not do what she did without the power of the oppressive system, or that she still has doubts about who she is, or probably other things I'm missing. All of which is problematic for an otherwise optimistic and triumphant trans allegory.
If White Chain is intended as a triumphant trans allegory, that actually makes flattening all of her problems into the same problem or generalized "oppression" worse. All of her dissatisfactions with her life, her role, and the world being connected to her dysphoria with her body, and fixing one automatically fixing the other, is not a great message. Because, for a lot of people, it's not the case.

akulanization posted:

Did you not get that White Chain has a different relationship to Allison than she does to Solomon and somehow also miss that her pronouns have changed since the page you linked?
Allison pretty clearly knew what was up with White Chain by that point. I don't know why you're trying so hard to pretend that other characters in the comic don't acknowledge White Chain as a martial arts master in order to argue that a character who has barely spoken to her at all at this point was somehow deliberately misgendering her the one time he addressed her as "master" during their kung-fu battle.

akulanization posted:

Human beings have definitely never exploited or oppressed each other is a hell of a read. A hell of a stupid read, from an idiot.

Cio’s rant in the last book about pretending to be a harmless author not really being her is clearly framed as wrong, and tragic. Allison literally saves her book and her glasses and reaffirms her identity when she loses herself later. You just don’t know how to read. Yre wasn’t about them learning that they could do terrible things but both of them pointedly rejecting being a person who does terrible things because they “have to” they don’t have to and that’s the point. Which blows your essentialism out of the water. Cio is also clearly stated in this book to be happy with pedestrian domesticity, which again your devils as rapacious monsters does not allow. Her quiet domestic life is also not something she had before as a brothel manager for her abusive ex.

Also all violence is not equivalent, and self defense or defense of a loved one doesn’t require moral justification.
OK, if you think K6BD devils are an allegory for some real life group of human beings, who exactly do you think they're an allegory for?

If Allison was shacked up with a human ex-slaver with homicidal tendencies, I would still think that would be something they should address. Cio wants to live a domestic life, but that isn't an option, because of who she is, and who Allison is. Which is why this chapter ends with her participating in a death match Allison entered herself into. She's now failed at being domestic and not hurting anyone for two consecutive books, which might lead a reasonable person to conclude that it isn't in the cards for her. She also explains that all of devil society is structured around getting access to human soul flames, which they feed on. So that seems like something she's going to need to address at some point.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also good job on ‘if you defend yourself from the Thorns you’re really as bad as the Thorns’ those are the kind of hot takes the discussion of Royalty never delivers
Person I was responding to was specifically talking about her brother Concordants, and being offended isn't violence, so...

Shugojin posted:

I'm pretty sure having every other angel but 10 vigilant gaze offended at her for being an abomination is gonna be downside enough

pseudorandom name posted:

those assholes were already offended by her, gently caress them, increment their numbers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Reach heaven through shutting the gently caress up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yes.. surely what we will learn in the coming pages is that all of White Chain's problems have been magically fixed

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

You are just insanely invested in proving that you absolutely and for certain know more about this universe and this story than the guy who is loving writing it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we just all stop engaging with dead reckoning and their complete, lifelong goal to never understand a work of fiction in their life

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
dead reckoning i dont know how to explain to you that white chain, a character established from her introduction as unusual for an angel in that she cherishes creation in a way uncommon for angels to the extent of maintaining a totally unnecessary apartment with equipment to make tea (a ritual that other angels are shown only indulging in as a form of mockery), is not "flattened" in any way by the latest update

i think you may just lack basic reading comprehension

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
oh excuse me, that was coffee

point destroyed, this isnt blood in my mouth its victory wine

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
specifically the point is that white chain cares for creation like a guardian while the other angels view it as a slightly distasteful job as a warden. recall the other angels in the void asking her "do you actually care? is that what you really want? to rot and to die?" what the update has shown is, yeah, she'll take rotting and dying over not really caring.

humans, in the setting, are the only ones who only get one, temporary shot. devils can be rebound, angels go to the void to sulk, even servants are immortal. the demiurges cant be defeated by conventional means so why should they bother? normal humans? one go, time limited, for better or for worse. of course she incarnate as a human - who else is more likely to give a poo poo? everyone else persists either way.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 6, 2020

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dead Reckoning posted:

If White Chain is intended as a triumphant trans allegory, that actually makes flattening all of her problems into the same problem or generalized "oppression" worse. All of her dissatisfactions with her life, her role, and the world being connected to her dysphoria with her body, and fixing one automatically fixing the other, is not a great message. Because, for a lot of people, it's not the case.

I have to ask, at this point: are you trans? If you are not, would you please shut the gently caress up about trans allegories? From my perspective as a trans person, you've functionally been equating HRT and GRS to "wish fullfillment" and it's really loving offensive.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
AND LETS TALK ABOUT THE ANGELS WHILE WE'RE AT IT

if your essentialist reading is so cool and good, why do the knights concordant never come back after being slain? why do so many of them defect to the thorns or the petals? if angels are such a monolith why are the concordants falling apart where they stand.

if angels are immutable chauvinists, why does vigilant gaze exist

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jesus loving christ the literal tagline of this comic is god saying "i am a consummate liar" up your loving game

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

paranoid randroid posted:

AND LETS TALK ABOUT THE ANGELS WHILE WE'RE AT IT

Yeah, anyone got the narrative dump that explains wtf angels are and why it is all the primes except 2 Michael have not reincarnated yet we have a universe littered with angels that have reincarnated numerous times already? Because I've never wrapped my head around that. Something like "these are the Primes, they have not reincarnated, and these are the not so primes, they idle faster. And there is White Chain who really needs to have her throttle checked"

e. the primes, the reals, and the irrationals :v:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Looking forward to seeing the text deviate from what Dead Reckoning thinks it should say, and DR then just saying it means what they said regardless of whatever path the comic takes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I have to ask, at this point: are you trans? If you are not, would you please shut the gently caress up about trans allegories? From my perspective as a trans person, you've functionally been equating HRT and GRS to "wish fullfillment" and it's really loving offensive.

Thank you

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the most telling thing about white chain is that she keeps reincarnating while so many of her brethren are lost to the void

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah, anyone got the narrative dump that explains wtf angels are and why it is all the primes except 2 Michael have not reincarnated yet we have a universe littered with angels that have reincarnated numerous times already? Because I've never wrapped my head around that. Something like "these are the Primes, they have not reincarnated, and these are the not so primes, they idle faster. And there is White Chain who really needs to have her throttle checked"

e. the primes, the reals, and the irrationals :v:

My understanding of this is that the current round of angels, like your average bound devil, effectively date to the reign of Zoss: The demiurges made new ash armor and went to the angels out on the rim of the Wheel where there's an endless war between shapeless Black Flame devil-stuff and angels, or there was at one time, and offered those angels ash armor because they wanted some law boys to do the law.
The Prime Angels were those mighty angels whom the gods housed in armor in Throne, and left as the watchers of their graves. None of them, apparently, ever died before Zoss happened to them, and one of them was the Metatron, the scribe at the right hand of God. What does that mean, if Yisun divided into two and then 777,777? Did Metatron watch the creation of the universe from outside while that was all going on? Or was Metatron created after YS and UN got it on, along with or by the later gods? All we know are stories and metaphysical claims, and that Metatron lives (but not by much, Zoss did a number).

It's also unclear why all the non-Prime angels seem to have reincarnated multiple times - one could theorize a bunch but I don't know.

This is like the situation with Servants: Common understanding is that humans and servants lived in Throne with the gods prior to being swept out into the worlds when Throne was emptied for the gods to do their big divine suicide pact, but then again, maybe they were created separately in different worlds. It's all legendary weirdness.

History that can actually be meaningfully commented on begins with Zoss breaking into an empty heaven and smiting the ruin of the Prime Angels, and I guess it's possible he also smote all the lesser angels, but the primes were especially big? But nobody's ever mentioned him destroying lesser aeons, just the primes.

I wouldn't be surprised if angels take longer to reincarnate the stronger they are in terms of their raw power, but that's never been stated. The Primes have slumbered some thousands of years, except 2 Michael, who woke up cranky.

...I wonder if 2 Michael gets flashbacks when he sees Allison throwing the mega-lightning-spear?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
White Chains is trans and powerful and I hope she can drag her siblings kicking and screaming into a better era.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think that WC's superficial similarity to SD may be intentional, but I don't think because of some simple IRL physics reason like DNA. The setting has established pretty thoroughly that a gun and a sword are as deadly as their wielder, and I forget which poster pointed this out (sorry!) but the rules of K6BD are such that 'humans' are more baked into the setting than 'atoms.'

What I mean is - WC's superficial semblance to SD is not likely because of his blood or whatever, but because SD was part of the crucible of her apotheosis. We are shaped by our history, and as much as SD sucks, this struggle was the path by which she became who she is.

habeasdorkus posted:

Looking forward to seeing the text deviate from what Dead Reckoning thinks it should say, and DR then just saying it means what they said regardless of whatever path the comic takes.

I'm not!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joe Slowboat posted:

All we know are stories and metaphysical claims, and that Metatron lives (but not by much, Zoss did a number).

sure, but not a whole number

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
metatron is full of owls

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sure, but not a whole number

This is a drat good post and I wish I'd thought of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Thyrork posted:

I clicked out for a few days and come back to see my homage to FFXIV being used as the title? :krad:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Allison pretty clearly knew what was up with White Chain by that point. I don't know why you're trying so hard to pretend that other characters in the comic don't acknowledge White Chain as a martial arts master in order to argue that a character who has barely spoken to her at all at this point was somehow deliberately misgendering her the one time he addressed her as "master" during their kung-fu battle.
OK, if you think K6BD devils are an allegory for some real life group of human beings, who exactly do you think they're an allegory for?

If Allison was shacked up with a human ex-slaver with homicidal tendencies, I would still think that would be something they should address. Cio wants to live a domestic life, but that isn't an option, because of who she is, and who Allison is. Which is why this chapter ends with her participating in a death match Allison entered herself into. She's now failed at being domestic and not hurting anyone for two consecutive books, which might lead a reasonable person to conclude that it isn't in the cards for her. She also explains that all of devil society is structured around getting access to human soul flames, which they feed on. So that seems like something she's going to need to address at some point.
Person I was responding to was specifically talking about her brother Concordants, and being offended isn't violence, so...

I'm not sure if this is a bit or what, but you are very aggressively defending a story that seems worse and more depressing than the story this thread is for, a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons. Nobody seems to be enjoying this song and dance. I'm not even convinced that you like it. Take some time away and when you come back don't use dysphoria as a rhetorical prop.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

paranoid randroid posted:

metatron is full of owls

Would you say Metatron needs a routine or a radical owlectomy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm looking forward to Cio telling Allison that you can't navigate by mindless dead reckoning, tha' wobblebrains, you have to think and then stares at the reader in the next panel.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
pretty sure solomon dave is about to keel over dead. but maybe he will explode instead.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

pretty sure solomon dave is about to keel over dead. but maybe he will explode instead.

if he explodes i hope he shouts "THE DIAMOND" as he goes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Maybe White Chain took a new body's worth of his blood to re-manifest or whatever we call it. That would be less than completely healthy for Davey boy.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

My moneys on giant, silhouetted blood spray

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don’t think the new state of being for angels is going to require literal human sacrifice.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013

JustaDamnFool posted:

My moneys on giant, silhouetted blood spray

I'm kinda hoping he will just fall apart like he had been sliced clean through in a singular cutting motion.

Contra
Aug 31, 2003
L(
Solomon David is going to kill white chain from behind in a fit of rage within the next two pages, expose his whole smug benevolent ruler thing as a facade, lose tons of face/legitimacy in front of his subjects and vassals, and in the confusion gog agog is going to start gogging up the planet. Allison and co will make their escape during the chaos, there will be at least one multi-page spread of pursuers/rayuban military/gog zombies having a melee and it will be glorious. The crew will probably run into Maya on their way off world.

White chain won't be coming back because she's 100% human now and humans are mortal. I know all of these things because I'm from the future.

Edit: Allison will lose her eye on rayuba

Contra fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 6, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It will turn out Alison simply had her eye closed in the future because of some bad conjunctivitis.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Allison will be running to WC with scissors to give her a hair cut and put her eye out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

White Chains is trans and powerful and I hope she can drag her siblings kicking and screaming into a better era.

:yeah:

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
Does anyone here know any good let's reads of K6BD? My Google-fu is weak, so I cannot find any.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alitur posted:

Does anyone here know any good let's reads of K6BD? My Google-fu is weak, so I cannot find any.

This thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Whatever Solomon does now, it won't take away White Chain's victory.