Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Destabilize history should be a phrase reserved only for people loving with the space-time continuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lobok posted:

Destabilize history should be a phrase reserved only for people loving with the space-time continuum.

Buddy,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How many reporters did The New York Times put on this guy when he felt lonely at Martha’s Vineyard because he was Trump’s lawyer? Four?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
yeah I bet

https://twitter.com/BBCSpotlight/status/1290572700675702785

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol at the name of the beaver.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Lol at the name of the beaver.

Jesus, I'm slow today. I just now got the name pun.

Sigourney Beaver

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Watch out for the male, Randy.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Sigourney Beaver

It’s OK! We all miss one once in a while. It is a pretty great beaver name, though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I wanted to read about the beaver, and this is the story under it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Courtroom shocked after black teen requested to be tried as a white man

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
There's Onion thread for that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Another demigod from Zeus?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Byzantine posted:

Achilles! Heracles! Theseus! Owen!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Byzantine posted:

I see no mention of a bull, a swan, a goat(?) or a rain of gold. How did he impregnate her?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My pandemic epiphany: learning my man bun didn't define me

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Scientists rename human genes to stop Microsoft Excel from misreading them as dates

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:lol:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Incel, Excel stopping the reproduction of genes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ddoniolvalcroze/status/1291482440108634112

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Imagine you just finished dissecting a corpse for an autopsy, cleaned up, and go to your favorite diner for a meal, and you see that corpse just sitting there, eating stuff like nothing happened. Rude.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just emptied that stomach! We are going to have a serious discussion when we get back to the morgue young man!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Proteus Jones posted:

Sigourney Beaver

GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BIRCH :mad:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CARS2 is the love of beans gene

https://twitter.com/ameshaa/status/1291851382539145221?s=21

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Imagine you just finished dissecting a corpse for an autopsy, cleaned up, and go to your favorite diner for a meal, and you see that corpse just sitting there, eating stuff like nothing happened. Rude.

:stare: what the hell did that tweet say? It's gone now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Headline about a corpse eating breakfast. I'm guessing it's from one of those circumstances where a guy would be legally due to brain trauma while waking but performed a few minutes of his daily routine before he stopped moving.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Nah, the "corpse" was an old guy who had catalepsy or something. He walked in, collapsed, and was to all appearances dead. Cops got called, and the coroner showed up to find that the guy had woken back up and was eating breakfast. Here's the original article. Good headline, though.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Tobermory posted:

Nah, the "corpse" was an old guy who had catalepsy or something. He walked in, collapsed, and was to all appearances dead. Cops got called, and the coroner showed up to find that the guy had woken back up and was eating breakfast. Here's the original article. Good headline, though.

Nice, that's way less grim than I was expecting. It seems to imply he was faking it to get a free meal. You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I do love the language in that article. Especially "the coroner hustled into his natty rig" and "it is said that the unidentified man is in the habit of 'dying' at frequent intervals".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Telemaze posted:

Nice, that's way less grim than I was expecting. It seems to imply he was faking it to get a free meal. You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I do love the language in that article. Especially "the coroner hustled into his natty rig" and "it is said that the unidentified man is in the habit of 'dying' at frequent intervals".

There's some real cultural differences happening because the whole time I'm wondering why they're throwing shade at the restaurant owners with phrases like "the plump little proprietor" etc. I would also very much like to know what the coroner's "natty rig" was.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Headline about a corpse eating breakfast. I'm guessing it's from one of those circumstances where a guy would be legally due to brain trauma while waking but performed a few minutes of his daily routine before he stopped moving.

There was a Forensics Files episode about some guy who killed his mom and dad with a gunshot to the head, but dad's didn't quite take at first. Even with some of his brain destroyed, he still got up, went and snagged the paper and made breakfast. Leaving a blood trail before finally dying at the table.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proteus Jones posted:

There was a Forensics Files episode about some guy who killed his mom and dad with a gunshot to the head, but dad's didn't quite take at first. Even with some of his brain destroyed, he still got up, went and snagged the paper and made breakfast. Leaving a blood trail before finally dying at the table.

I think you are recalling the Porco case.

It was an axe murder, not a shooting.

quote:

GOSHEN -- Peter Porco sustained 16 serious blows from a sharp, heavy instrument, including one that penetrated his skull and another that took off part of his jaw when he was attacked in November 2004.

Nonetheless, he almost certainly survived for a few hours, said Dr. Jeffrey Hubbard, a pathologist and Albany County coroner's physician.

``There are no injuries here that are instantly or rapidly fatal,'' Hubbard said Thursday at the Porco trial. ``The survival here could have been many hours.''

Hubbard's testimony echoed the theory by prosecutors that, in the minutes or hours following the attack, Peter Porco went through his morning routine as if he were getting ready for work, unaware that he had been mortally wounded with an ax or that his wife Joan Porco lay bleeding in their bed. The testimony also drove home, in stark visual terms, the violence with which Peter Porco was attacked.

As Hubbard was questioned by Chief Assistant District Attorney Michael McDermott, black and white autopsy photos of Peter Porco were projected on an approximately 10-foot by 6-foot screen. Hubbard used a laser pointer to note the various gashes and wounds found across Porco's head and upper body.

Christopher Porco, 23, who is accused of murdering his father and attempted murder of his mother, stared straight ahead or looked down while the photos appeared overhead, less than 10 feet from where he sat. He also rubbed his eye, as if wiping away a tear.

Jurors sat stoically during the gruesome presentation. Two men crossed their arms in front of their chests, while two women held their hands to their mouths. Another man hunched forward, elbows on his knees, looking intently at the screen.

The courtroom was eerily silent, unlike other portions of the trial, where there has been background hum of people shifting in their seats or ruffling papers during lengthy and sometimes arcane testimony and cross examinations.

Defense lawyer Laurie Shanks asked Hubbard if, based on the wounds, it was possible that there may have been more than one attacker. He said it was possible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

That's the one!

I knew when I was typing, I was likely misremembering key details. I tried to search for it, but since I had it in my head it was a gun crime I got bupkis.

However, I *knew* a goon would shortly come along and know exactly what I referring to. So thanks :)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus Jones posted:

That's the one!

I knew when I was typing, I was likely misremembering key details. I tried to search for it, but since I had it in my head it was a gun crime I got bupkis.

However, I *knew* a goon would shortly come along and know exactly what I referring to. So thanks :)

That's murphy's law right there, the best way to get the right answer on the internet isn't to ask a question, it's to give bad information and someone will correct you :eng101:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The story was resistant to search queries about the “dead man walking” situation, but I remembered that it took place in New York and toll records were key evidence.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

That's murphy's law right there, the best way to get the right answer on the internet isn't to ask a question, it's to give bad information and someone will correct you :eng101:
No, no, that's godwin's law, not murphy's. :eng101:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nah. It’s Stigler’s law.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

I keep finding out more disturbing things that have happened around these parts.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I will never rewatch that episode, it's truly horrifying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Evilreaver posted:

You know I’ve never deliberately exploited that but this is a good idea