Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

yeah debunking the conspiracy angle is real simple, we know it wasn't a military because militaries don't have anything this big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The arms control folks have been putting it at a couple hundred tons TNT equivalent:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1290722801012228096

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1290795532701425664

Still a lot, and well in the range of a W54 mini-nuke equivalent (not saying it was a nuke).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah debunking the conspiracy angle is real simple, we know it wasn't a military because militaries don't have anything this big

Big enough to detonate a warehouse full of ammonium nitrate?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The arms control folks have been putting it at a couple hundred tons TNT equivalent:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1290722801012228096

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1290795532701425664

Still a lot, and well in the range of a W54 mini-nuke equivalent (not saying it was a nuke).

The IRS not loving around anymore

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Maybe if it was in the middle of a desert testing site. My guess is the ground the warehouse was on was loosely-packed and sandy/rocky, plus the crater's only going to get bigger now that it's exposed to the tides.

I'm in Crete right now and there's like a 3 inch difference in the tides here. This poo poo is nuts compared to the Pacific or Atlantic.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
On mobile and haven't read every linked article yet, but here's some more context on why Beirut was sitting on a time bomb in the port:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BbOcI4D

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We now end this boomchat special report and return you to your regularly scheduled program of endless screaming, already in progress.

quote:

According to The Mirror’s report, Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell gifted Prince Andrew his own caricature puppet from the satirical ’80s British TV show Spitting Image in April 2001. In Giuffre’s manuscript—which was released by New York Judge Loretta Preska last week as part of a large batch of unsealed documents from a now settled civil defamation case between Giuffre and Maxwell—she writes that she met Andrew around that time in the first-floor study of Epstein’s Manhattan home and “he looked me up and down like a shiny new car on display and he was about to take it for a test drive.”

“It was easy to give them the reaction they desired, all I had to do was pretend to be entertained by their lewd gestures, and when Andrew cupped my breast with a doll made in his image, I only giggled away,” she continued. “Ghislaine wanted to take a picture of the bizarre scene and even got Johanna [Sjoberg], another one of Jeffrey’s so-called personal assistants to come sit on his other knee for the snapshot.”

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/siberian_times/status/1290984181745377280

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like NY State has the documents that Donnie used to get his loans.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1291138603289116674

Get the tax returns, prove an egregious mismatch, and you've got your fraud!

Edit: To the below, the poo poo is bound by Grand Jury secrecy. If the poo poo *did* leak out, it would be a hella crime too.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 5, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LEAK THEM

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

If it won't gently caress the case up this'll happen in 5 seconds.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Why? It won't change the outcome of the election. Anyone who's going to leave him over something like tax fraud is already gone and those who are left are just going to cheer him on as a business genius.

Don't leak them, and prosecute him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is no need to leak them. There will be charges brought based upon them, and they'll become public record as a result.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The only advantage to leaking them would be to watch Donnie fly off the handle and start rage-tweeting, and possibly implicating himself in further crimes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie word-vomited a bunch on Fox and Friends about how he thinks kids are immune to the coronavirus, so they should open schools so the parents can go work and die. Two new things happened.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1291172904319811589

Facebook outright deleted it, Twitter has temp-banned his *campaign* account until he deletes it himself.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 6, 2020

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

The only advantage to leaking them would be to watch Donnie fly off the handle and start rage-tweeting, and possibly implicating himself in further crimes.

This is the content I crave.

e: or rage-press conferences if the tweeter really suspends him

Woodchip fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 6, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MRC48B posted:

It was this

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well unemployment in WA is a complete disaster. I'm sitting at 19 weeks now waiting for "adjudication" before I can get paid.

The state recently announced Operation 100% as complete despite there still being tens of thousands of people still waiting for their claims to be adjudicated.

Seriously starting to be concerned that I'm never going to see a cent of my money, they've been saying they're working on the backlog for months now. Friends that got out of the Army and went to other states aren't having any issues getting their claims paid out.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Mustang posted:

Well unemployment in WA is a complete disaster. I'm sitting at 19 weeks now waiting for "adjudication" before I can get paid.

The state recently announced Operation 100% as complete despite there still being tens of thousands of people still waiting for their claims to be adjudicated.

Seriously starting to be concerned that I'm never going to see a cent of my money, they've been saying they're working on the backlog for months now. Friends that got out of the Army and went to other states aren't having any issues getting their claims paid out.

Got out at the same time? Because I'm hearing other folks are getting screwed ref payments since COVID.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah, most of our ETS dates were in March. One went to California and one to Oregon and both are getting paid each week.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
They lost a ton of money to fraud and it's no doubt a shitshow over there as they try to get money back from the criminals' bank accounts, prevent the ongoing fraud attempts, and also pay out to the actual people who are covered.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie word-vomited a bunch on Fox and Friends about how he thinks kids are immune to the coronavirus, so they should open schools so the parents can go work and die.

I feel like it's important to note that his son's school is virtual for at least the opening.

Meanwhile my college opens in two weeks and the dean of my department sent out an e-mail with a link to a news article about a 20 year old student who is having a part of her lung removed due to covid. :bravo:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Remember that idiot YouTube rear end in a top hat Jake Paul? The FBI raided his house.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Early indication is that it's related to his bullshit that he pulled as part of the Arizona Mall Looting/Riot. But that doesn't really explain the SWAT team that basically came to execute the search. There were also "guns" that were confiscated as part of the raid, but they also might just be airsoft guns.

Basically, we don't know poo poo yet.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

All Gass No Brakes made it to Portland during the fed attempted occupation.

respect to them for blurring faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zthJUf31MA

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Waroduce posted:

I'm usually real reluctant to believe in coincidences but i mean, there is no middle east OSHA and i am surprised there is not more industrial accidents of significant scale from that part of the world.

There are a lot of actions that get taken that don't get written down or recorded if you don't have a system of inspection that you're trying to meet. The paths people take, who is where and when, noticing issues before they get out of hand. When the circumstances surrounding the unintentional and undocumented solutions that were preventing potentials from becoming catastrophes are alrered and novel combinations of circumstances may emerge.

It's plausible to me that this is another manifestation of COVID's second order effects as work patterns were reconfigured.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I am actually loving infuriated.

Countless people are dying every day, countless thousands more will be dying in the near future, tens of millions of people will be losing their homes and livelihoods.

...and these motherfuckers are looking to get paid.

https://twitter.com/PATreasurer/status/1291070203263148032
https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/status/1291038804401442818

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Countless people are dying every day, countless thousands more will be dying in the near future, tens of millions of people will be losing their homes and livelihoods.

Capitalism is the best economic system because it drives innovation :shepicide:

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So yeah....that Beirut explosion just got a little closer to home.
I got a couple of grand cousins. One of them has a girlfriend who's sister is on a studytrip to Beirut.
She was about 500meters from the explosion.
She ended up falling one floor down when the floor collapsed and she got lightly buried in rubble.
After she dug herself out she wandered barefoot around until she found another group of foreign students to group up with.
She should be on her way home to Denmark now sporting 2 broken ribs, a broken wrist and a general bodycovering set of bruises.
Lucky as gently caress that it wasn't worse, but i can't imagine she is feeling all that fortunate right now.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Man I sure hope this doesn't end in violence for the executives of those companies. That would be terrible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Shkreli was a canary in the mine to see how the rabble would react to a cartoonishly evil venture capitalist.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

Shkreli was a canary in the mine to see how the rabble would react to a cartoonishly evil venture capitalist.

lol offer a huge bounty on it's makeup and then ship it off to a country to produce. let it go to international court

or a real president could just seize the company and let the courts deal with price gouging on a pandemic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use the Defence Production act to compel Moderna to produce three hundred and thirty million, seventy‐six thousand, three‐hundred and forty‐nine doses of the vaccine, plus some margin for shrinkage.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Use the Defence Production act to compel Moderna to produce three hundred and thirty million, seventy‐six thousand, three‐hundred and forty‐nine doses of the vaccine, plus some margin for shrinkage.

would require a human being with balls.

however i'm already assuming Moderna has already offered kickbacks to the Trump family to prevent that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
De-lurking briefly to cross-post a news article about the investigation as to the explosion in Beirut.

Salient points:

quote:

Public Works Minister Michel Najjar told Al Jazeera that he had only found out about the presence of the explosive material stashed in Beirut's port 11 days before the explosion, through a report given to him by the country's Supreme Defense Council. He had taken over the post six months earlier.

"No minister knows what's in the hangars or containers, and it's not my job to know," Najjar said.

[...]

Najjar said he learned on Wednesday that his ministry had sent at least 18 letters to the Beirut urgent matters judge since 2014, asking for the goods to be disposed of. Najjar declined to provide the documents to Al Jazeera, citing a continuing investigation into the cause of the explosion.

"The judiciary didn't do anything," he said. "It's negligence."

But Nizar Saghieh, a leading Lebanese legal expert and founder of NGO Legal Agenda, said the "primary legal responsibility here is on those tasked with overseeing the port - the port authority and the public works ministry, as well as Lebanese Customs."

"It is certainly not up to a judge to find the safe place to house these goods," he told Al Jazeera.

quote:

Public documents verified by Al Jazeera show that Lebanese Customs sent six letters to the Beirut Urgent Matters Judge between 2014 and 2017, urging the judge to get rid of the "dangerous" material by either exporting it, re-selling it or handing it to the Army.

It's looking like this was a ship of dubious quality mining explosives bound from Georgia to Africa, impounded by Lebanese authorities because it was hilariously unsafe, ship owners (a shady Russian company) claimed to be bankrupt and then vanished, ship's crew was eventually released but the cargo remained in a legal grey area and was never touched because of all the work and potential cost involved in confiscating or disposing of the shipload of unknown quality mining explosives, and everyone aware of the danger was filed away and ignored.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
RE: COVID
Thought I read somewhere that the U.S. is only ordering like 100 million vaccines whenever they are ready to go? Does that sound right? Cuz between not having enough for more than 1/3 of the population, and gouging us for it, COVID is gonna be the reality we live with going forward.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Iain posted:

I feel like it's important to note that his son's school is virtual for at least the opening.

Meanwhile my college opens in two weeks and the dean of my department sent out an e-mail with a link to a news article about a 20 year old student who is having a part of her lung removed due to covid. :bravo:

I'm expecting an email from my advisor about my intentions any day now. I think I decided yesterday that I'm staying away from that place until there is any semblance of consistency in local and national statistics.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bengy81 posted:

RE: COVID
Thought I read somewhere that the U.S. is only ordering like 100 million vaccines whenever they are ready to go? Does that sound right? Cuz between not having enough for more than 1/3 of the population, and gouging us for it, COVID is gonna be the reality we live with going forward.

if poor people want the vaccine so much they'll bootstrap themselves up to afford it. who are we to deny them satisfaction of affording to protect themselves from a global pandemic?
'Merica!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fister Roboto posted:

Capitalism is the best economic system because it drives innovation :shepicide:

I would no joke be tumescent if every mother fucker who seriously uttered this was buried up to their necks in dogshit at low tide