Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

docbeard posted:

Susan was able to.

She also hasn't turned fully at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

More generally, Thomas, a creature (however willing) of lust for whom actual love is literal poison becoming the sort of person who could wield the Sword of Love is the sort of dramatic irony that writers love, and his imprisonment in Demonreach (and specifically the torment of Contemplation where he gets to experience all the hurt he's done to others) feels like the sort of thing that could serve as the culmination of such a redemptive cycle to me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Avalerion posted:

She also hasn't turned fully at that time.

I love making entire threads look like CIA-redacted documents.

Anyway, there's a point earlier in the series when she touches one of the swords and it hurts, so it definitely didn't care for her vampiric nature, but her love for her daughter was enough to overcome that in Changes.

Basically I suspect it's less a wholly mechanical transaction and more whether the angel in the sword decides it can work with a wielder.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Why are we putting plot points from Changes in spoiler blocks

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Because clicking on the little black bars is fun!

(I'unno, I was just following everyone else's lead, though I did reference something from Peace Talks in one of my posts too.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Why are we putting plot points from Changes in spoiler blocks

I would guess in an over-abundance of trying to not be a dick by hinting at the context of whatever spoilery thing is being discussed?

Is it really hurting anyone?

docbeard posted:

Because clicking on the little black bars is fun!

Also this

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As someone who isn't into Dresden, not having to read about it is nice! :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Spent a little bit of time thinking about why I didn't like Peace Talks more than I didn't like any other Dresden book.

It wasn't the performance. The narrator, Marster, is always good.

Wasn't the writing. Sure there was more exposition than usual and a lot more set-up than pay-off, but it read like Jim.

And then, the other day, when I was finishing off another UF book ( one of the Faust ones ), I realized what it was. Peace Talks wasn't fun. There wasn't enough of the usual banter, the set-pieces, Dresden doing something stupid but coming through by the skin of his teeth, dark, low moments that paid off with a good 'yeah!'. It was just kind of angry and slow and more like the typical UF book that took itself too seriously, and the sprinkles of lighthearted stuff clashed miserably with the brooding agitated tone of it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Spent a little bit of time thinking about why I didn't like Peace Talks more than I didn't like any other Dresden book.

It wasn't the performance. The narrator, Marster, is always good.

Wasn't the writing. Sure there was more exposition than usual and a lot more set-up than pay-off, but it read like Jim.

And then, the other day, when I was finishing off another UF book ( one of the Faust ones ), I realized what it was. Peace Talks wasn't fun. There wasn't enough of the usual banter, the set-pieces, Dresden doing something stupid but coming through by the skin of his teeth, dark, low moments that paid off with a good 'yeah!'. It was just kind of angry and slow and more like the typical UF book that took itself too seriously, and the sprinkles of lighthearted stuff clashed miserably with the brooding agitated tone of it.

That's my problem with the big overarching story. It lacks the fun factor, in every way.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
That's because it's only the first half or so of the actual book. All that payoff stuff is always in the second half of Jim's books. Much like Sanderson.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm going to have to reread it a day before the next one arrives because I only really remember the Peace Talk from the title.

Only took a single bath to read it the first time.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Wtf how long are your baths? I read pretty quick and it still took me almost 4 hours.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Daric posted:

Wtf how long are your baths? I read pretty quick and it still took me almost 4 hours.

You just let some water drain out and refresh it with hot water every once in a while. As long as your skin isn’t falling off, you’re good.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Daric posted:

Beachcomber is literally Jean-Paul Marat, I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Or the Golgafrincham B Ark captain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Daric posted:

DreamingofRoses posted:

You just let some water drain out and refresh it with hot water every once in a while. As long as your skin isn’t falling off, you’re good.

I run the water very, very, slowly. Once it's about 1/2 full I stop and add scalding hot water whenever it's necessary. I can't actually drain and add because something with the gasket makes the tub drain completely even when I close the valve again.

My record length is, I think, around 8 hours, but that's very unusual. 4 is close to standard. I don't like to feel like I'm wasting water.

The_Doctor posted:

Or the Golgafrincham B Ark captain.

A role model for sure. I actually am a telephone sanitizer these days...

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

I run the water very, very, slowly. Once it's about 1/2 full I stop and add scalding hot water whenever it's necessary. I can't actually drain and add because something with the gasket makes the tub drain completely even when I close the valve again.

My record length is, I think, around 8 hours, but that's very unusual. 4 is close to standard. I don't like to feel like I'm wasting water.

A role model for sure. I actually am a telephone sanitizer these days...

Wtf, how is your skin not falling off after a 4 hour, let alone 8 hour bath.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wtf, how is your skin not falling off after a 4 hour, let alone 8 hour bath.

I don't use bubbles so it isn't as harsh?

I have 6 kinds of salt (Epsom, Sea, Dead Sea, Mediterranean, Himalayan, and some from a mine in Utah), and a variety of essential oils(orange, ginger, lavender, a different kind of lavender, bergamot, peppermint) if I feel like it.

I've got a loofah, real sea sponge, and some foamy block I found in a Boots, though honestly if I want to get clean I take a shower. I've never found a rubber duck I like that also floats correctly.

I...like water. I don't quite ever feel truly relaxed unless I'm in or near it. Swimming in the ocean feels like going home.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

I don't use bubbles so it isn't as harsh?

I have 6 kinds of salt (Epsom, Sea, Dead Sea, Mediterranean, Himalayan, and some from a mine in Utah), and a variety of essential oils(orange, ginger, lavender, a different kind of lavender, bergamot, peppermint) if I feel like it.

I've got a loofah, real sea sponge, and some foamy block I found in a Boots, though honestly if I want to get clean I take a shower. I've never found a rubber duck I like that also floats correctly.

I...like water. I don't quite ever feel truly relaxed unless I'm in or near it. Swimming in the ocean feels like going home.

So, you're basically a mer-person then. Cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh I've seen that movie. Guillermo did a great job with your life story.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just wait until the dreams about Dagon start.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You have to die to become an einherjar, yeah?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatelull posted:

If Butcher follows the myth at all which I suspect he does, yeah. You have to die valorously in battle.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

hatelull posted:

Yeah. You die valiantly enough in battle, and a Valkyrie shows up to say "Hey, you want a job?"

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It kind of takes the tension out of giving a character a permanent injury if everyone just assumes the character will die soon and get a better immortal body.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, I think the entire point of Murphy is that she is human. She is a plain, normal human. A badass, no doubt, but ultimately normal despite the situations she ends up in.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Yeah, I think the entire point of Murphy is that she is human. She is a plain, normal human. A badass, no doubt, but ultimately normal despite the situations she ends up in.

Also, she's a normal human in a way that's different from Marcone. Marcone avails himself of supernatural advantages through his wealth and power, hiring Gard, obtaining various magical/supernatural thingies, etc. Murphy might sometimes run into stuff like that, but she doesn't seek it out. She's feeling fighting with guns, martial arts and investigative smarts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everyone posted:

Also, she's a normal human in a way that's different from Marcone. Marcone avails himself of supernatural advantages through his wealth and power, hiring Gard, obtaining various magical/supernatural thingies, etc. Murphy might sometimes run into stuff like that, but she doesn't seek it out. She's feeling fighting with guns, martial arts and investigative smarts.

My understanding of Murphy is not that she doesn't want supernatural advantages it is that very few offer themselves to her that she's willing to take. The Sword was the closest and unless Peace Talks changed that she kinda lost her chance at that one.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Murphy's consistently refused to take any power that might tie a string to her, because she's stubbornly independent. Her use of the Sword in Changes is emblematic of this character trait - she is furious that something else spoke with her voice.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gnoman posted:

Murphy's consistently refused to take any power that might tie a string to her, because she's stubbornly independent. Her use of the Sword in Changes is emblematic of this character trait - she is furious that something else spoke with her voice.

And that's completely understandable and shows a certain degree of "long-term" common sense. Murphy has where (and to whom/what) some of those strings can lead.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Everyone posted:

And that's completely understandable and shows a certain degree of "long-term" common sense. Murphy has where (and to whom/what) some of those strings can lead.

I know trying to predict and speculate whatever plot Butcher has in his head is cliched and tired in this thread, but lately the books (for me) read like comic book fiction or at the least long running plots from an Arrowverse type series, complete with melodrama and relationship situations. Is it [i[too[/i] on the nose to think that Butcher is setting Murphy to die in this next book while defending the city, so that what's her name can show up and make some racy comments and offer her a job? Seems only fitting since x number of books in and The "will they won't they" between Murphy and Dresden is finally resolved and their a "couple."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

hatelull posted:

I know trying to predict and speculate whatever plot Butcher has in his head is cliched and tired in this thread, but lately the books (for me) read like comic book fiction or at the least long running plots from an Arrowverse type series, complete with melodrama and relationship situations. Is it [i[too[/i] on the nose to think that Butcher is setting Murphy to die in this next book while defending the city, so that what's her name can show up and make some racy comments and offer her a job? Seems only fitting since x number of books in and The "will they won't they" between Murphy and Dresden is finally resolved and their a "couple."

I don't think so. I and a couple of other people have noted that Desden Files is basically a prose comic book/action movie. Any trope that would fit into one of those would fit in here.

Plus, the idea of Freyjis, Gard and Murphy having a "girl's night out" that results in some evil folks getting a Valkyrie curb-stomping fills me with a sense of anticipatory glee. Bonus points if Wagner is somehow included in this.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 10, 2020

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Everyone posted:

I don't think so. I and a couple of other people have noted that Desden Files is basically a prose comic book/action movie. Any trope that would fit into one of those would fit in here.

Plus, the idea of Freyjis, Gard and Murphy having a "girl's night out" that results in some evil folks getting a Valkyrie curb-stomping fills me with a sense of anticipatory glee. Bonus points if Wagner is somehow included in this.

As cool as Wagner would be, straight up 60's rock would work way better I think. Fortunate Son would kick some serious rear end.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hatelull posted:

This is basically what I expect is going on there, yeah.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Everyone posted:

Murphy is small enough to fit in a fridge. :(

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Murphy is small enough to fit in a fridge. :(

Well good to know she'll survive the nukes in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy then.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

No matter what else happens, I'm fairly certain that Murphy will live and die as a normal human.
At some point, Harry is going to monologue about how she is the anchor to his ever dwindling sense of humanity as he loses himself more and more to the Winter Mantle or whatever other powerup gets thrown at him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

seaborgium posted:

As cool as Wagner would be, straight up 60's rock would work way better I think. Fortunate Son would kick some serious rear end.

True. Though if we're going rock, I'd prefer something from the 70s.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Everyone posted:

True. Though if we're going rock, I'd prefer something from the 70s.

:sigh: Another great song ruined by being overplayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think you mean "poo poo song that is still cooler than anything in The Dresden Files since Skin Game".

Hell, Butcher thought referencing Shinedown's "45" was a good song to reference in Cold Days.

That is a poo poo song and the Fae wouldn't give a poo poo enough about mortal music to copy it. Makes no loving sense at all.