Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Roommate's cat is 3 paws into the grave. 8.99 out of 9 lives used.

Poor guy is pushing 20. He's deaf, mostly blind (he can see light, and immediately starts purring/drooling if something resembling a human shape is spotted), has a large growth on his spine, has seizures, and it's suspected that he's had a stroke (he walks sideways now, his head is always at a 90 degree angle, and his eyes are always crossed).. He's down to ~7 lbs. He lost his meow for several years; it came back as a RAWWWWWW. I'm pretty sure the only reason he's still alive is to smack the poo poo out of my cat when he deserves it. His arthritis is so bad that he can barely walk. Or even stand.

I don't know how he keeps hanging on, but he does. I pulled out a bag of catnip yesterday, and the little poo poo swatted it out of my hand (claws out, loving rear end in a top hat) and tried to run off with it. My cat (being a loving 18 pound linebacker) linebackered him and took it back.

I see this one coming. I'm not sure which is worse... when you know it's coming, or when it's out of nowhere. This fucker refuses to let go. He may be my roommate's cat, but it's gonna hurt when he finally goes. Even if he does annoy me by curling up on top of my head and drooling in my hair when I'm laying down.

:smith:

e: oh gently caress no that's NOT a page snipe I ever wanted

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

because everyone here has watched a Doug video which doesn't have much in the way of insight, or production values, and realized "good god I could be doing this job"

Pretty much this. His only talent (if you can call it that) is his OCD about cars. Evey video I've ever watched of his I skipped to the part where he drives it because watching him point out all the "quirks" is extremely annoying.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Anyone know of any cheap off brand tyres that are half decent? Set of pirellis is gonna set me back well over a grand for the commodore so I'm looking at linglongs etc

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

big dong wanter posted:

Anyone know of any cheap off brand tyres that are half decent? Set of pirellis is gonna set me back well over a grand for the commodore so I'm looking at linglongs etc
https://youtu.be/p0NN-Po4a1U

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I want to be the kind of guy that drives this:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-land-rover-range-rover-25/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-08-06

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big dong wanter posted:

do not buy poo poo tires

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not buy poo poo tires

i'd love to have that option but currently i have 3 different brands on my car and i dont have the money for great tyres at the moment. these tyres are only to hold me over until i can actually spend money on them.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Pretty much this. His only talent (if you can call it that) is his OCD about cars. Evey video I've ever watched of his I skipped to the part where he drives it because watching him point out all the "quirks" is extremely annoying.

I love all the quirks and can’t really stand watching him drive it ‘cause he’s not exactly a great driver.

My shame is how much I enjoy his oddball videos like the Dustbuster van, and for any new car I’m considering he does a great job of covering the details that could make or break an ownership experience.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not buy poo poo tires

There is "poo poo" hard as a rock tires then there are budget tires. Unless you are pushing the thing hard or it is a towing rig then budget tires are fine. The cheapest $30 off amazon wanki or luiling co tires, not so much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What size tyre?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

InitialDave posted:

What size tyre?

245/35 r20

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

There's your problem.

Not talking you specifically, I hate how huge wheels have gotten on cars making tires even more expensive. The nice 'little' 15s on the VW I could get a set of good brand tires guaranteed for 50-60k miles for <$800. For similar tires in 17 inch on the wife's DD are going to probably end up being $1200.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Looks like you can get Falkens, Kumhos, or Sumitomos for under $150 a tire, those brands should be cheap, but serviceable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, my mate put Nankang NS-20s on his MX5, those are very cheap, and they're ok in the dry, really don't think much of them in the wet, though.

But Dunlop, Hankook etc. might not be too expensive.

But even so, even the cheapest tyres are going to cost you maybe 30%+ of the cost of "decent" ones, so if your plan is to just use these to tide you over, might you be better to live with what you have, assuming they're at least safe, and put the money toward good ones?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

InitialDave posted:

Well, my mate put Nankang NS-20s on his MX5, those are very cheap, and they're ok in the dry, really don't think much of them in the wet, though.

But Dunlop, Hankook etc. might not be too expensive.

But even so, even the cheapest tyres are going to cost you maybe 30%+ of the cost of "decent" ones, so if your plan is to just use these to tide you over, might you be better to live with what you have, assuming they're at least safe, and put the money toward good ones?

it looks like nankangs are the go, the cheapest "name brand" tyre is 400 bucks a corner and gently caress that noise

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Are all tyres that insanely expensive in the US? :aaa: I just threw those numbers in blackcircles and it's pulling up P Zero, F1 Assymetric 3s, Pilot Sport 4s for max £223 a corner fitted.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Are all tyres that insanely expensive in the US? :aaa: I just threw those numbers in blackcircles and it's pulling up P Zero, F1 Assymetric 3s, Pilot Sport 4s for max £223 a corner fitted.

im down under, most car related things are a rip off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

tires are not that expensive here, set of PS4s for the M5 mounted is like 950 bucks.

however when i price out 245/35 R20s it's 1400 bucks

answer: dont roll on dubs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

poo poo I paid £420 for a set of F1 Assymetrics and felt ripped off. Never buying big wheels.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Olympic Mathlete posted:

poo poo I paid £420 for a set of F1 Assymetrics and felt ripped off. Never buying big wheels.

yeah im half tempted to ditch the 20s for some 18s

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Finding a used set of 18" wheels with decent tires mounted locally is probably your best option.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Tire prices must be inflated :dadjoke: regionally because here in the states there are 19 choices under $200 a corner on tire rack. Two are $120 each. Kumho Ecstas aren't a terrible tire and they're among the cheapest available in that size. They're summer only though.

edit: also I just noticed your handle isn't "big dong water" which I thought was just a play on hot dog water or something.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 6, 2020

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is the biggest difference in UK vs US tires. In the US most are all seasons where as in the UK where it doesn't get that cold and rarely snows almost all people use summer tires.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone
i've found a set of 18s with mildy used turanzas for 400 bucks, might just jump on that even though i love the 20s.
thats two of the four things that make my ve ss an hsvi car down though :(

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

New record day is a good day

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I approve of this record.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I miss the days of being young and finding new music as if it was like a revelation from god. I had one buddy who always found out about the new most cutting edge music first, and we were hunting for that album before it was even released. The day it came out I almost toasted the Sparkomatic 6x9s in my car because we cranked it all the way up. Then like 2 years later everyone was like "hey have you heard of Nine Inch Snails? Cool new band!"

Also always a good time to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhL8Sl3dWl8

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

big dong wanter posted:

i've found a set of 18s with mildy used turanzas for 400 bucks, might just jump on that even though i love the 20s.
thats two of the four things that make my ve ss an hsvi car down though :(

Not like you can't keep the 20s and put them back on when you're a little more flush with cash.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

Darchangel posted:

Not like you can't keep the 20s and put them back on when you're a little more flush with cash.

Well yeah but the 20s get props from my fellow commodore nerds and I'm not sure where I'm going to keep them

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had a pile of wheels and tires in my bedroom for years back when I had a terrible jeep. Your brain treats it like furniture after a while. Put a scrap of plywood on top and call it a table.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

big dong wanter posted:

Well yeah but the 20s get props from my fellow commodore nerds and I'm not sure where I'm going to keep them

https://www.amazon.com/Lionhart-LH-...&tag=mozilla-20

245/35R20 Lionhart.

I bought one set as a joke because they were $45 per corner in 215/50R17 for my beater Avalon. They are absolutely reasonable tires. Grip well in wet and dry. Quiet. Ride well. Hold air (I mean for a long while, I haven't had to add air to any corner in 2 years).

I liked them enough that I got a set of 245/40R18 on my Passat and I've had the same experience. Dirt cheap, perfectly serviceable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

That is the biggest difference in UK vs US tires. In the US most are all seasons where as in the UK where it doesn't get that cold and rarely snows almost all people use summer tires.
Mmm, I've picked up on that when tyre chat has come round before, there's definitely regional differences in what is nominally the "same" tyre

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh sweet loving relief

The inspection report came back and they barely want anything. Three outlets GCFI'd, the supply valves for the washer and two window seals rebuilt. We're probably gonna hard no on the windows and have the other poo poo done next week. 22 days til closing!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

this album still bangs so hard

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

this album still bangs so hard

It's their best one.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have put nankag and federal on kei trucks and it absolutely improves the ride immensely. I just got a set of typos on eBay 16s for $411. The night name tires have come a long way they just steal the known brands tech. I could probably find a set of 20 take offs on fb right now for $500 or less. This is no help to you in OZ. I put a set of 14” super Maxx amazon tires for $150on my lite Ace and sold the half worn bf Goodrich for $100. Tires are pretty cheap in America. But ko2s are expensive

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 6, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's their best one.

'their' ?

HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS POSER

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

everdave posted:

I have put nankag and federal on kei trucks and it absolutely improves the ride immensely. I just got a set of typos on eBay 16s for $411. The night name tires have come a long way they just steal the known brands tech. I could probably find a set of 20 take offs on fb right now for $500 or less. This is no help to you in OZ. I put a set of 14” super Maxx amazon tires for $150on my lite Ace and sold the half worn bf Goodrich for $100. Tires are pretty cheap in America. But ko2s are expensive

Do you have any kei trucks for sale r/n? I was looking for a polaris ranger, lifted kei truck might work too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

'their' ?

HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS POSER

Trent considered his dog part of the creative process back then!

Anyone in AI own a Stinger? I need to test drive more cars before I make my decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Trent considered his dog part of the creative process back then!

Anyone in AI own a Stinger? I need to test drive more cars before I make my decision.

I think killhour has one but I could be wrong.