Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
It's like a full size dollhouse, for easy reaching access!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
better not drop a knife

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the "video game characters facing real life issues" thread in GBS:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Easily solved with a funicular.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nice open plan kitchen

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nice open plan pit kitchen

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Easily solved with a funicular.

You joke but I wonder what that would cost to develop/install. I assume less than a vertical lift but couldn't tell you what I'm basing that on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can go buy a vertical lift for a couple of thousands dollars, that you'd have to design and build from scratch, plus massive ground works to bury it at street level so you can actually get off. I'd say funicular is cooler but more expensive.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

You can go buy a vertical lift for a couple of thousands dollars, that you'd have to design and build from scratch, plus massive ground works to bury it at street level so you can actually get off. I'd say funicular is cooler but more expensive.

Youd still have to dig a pit in the street.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just dig the garage down at street level and add a staircase to the house? Am I missing something?

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
How about one of those cable winches that just pull the car up in the garage? The other way it might work is just pulling the garage on top of the car when the garage foundations are weaker than what the car weighs and the winch is securely bolted on the garage. I just remembered that wonderful movie scene from Rat Race.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know how I missed the obvious answer of "resurface the driveway with shellgrip".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Raise the road.

That one’s free. PM me for my rates as a professional consultant.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Youd still have to dig a pit in the street.

For the lift? Nah, remove the driveway, put the lift there. Like a combined car lift/drawbridge. Visitors have to call it down.

E:I mean you're still digging a pit you're right.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Put the entire garage on hydraulic pistons. Lift it up, move car into position, lower garage down over it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Prop up one end of the garage with a pole and tie a rope to it, hide in the bushes holding the other end and wait for the car to go in

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Best solution is don't live there

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Renaissance Robot posted:

You joke but I wonder what that would cost to develop/install. I assume less than a vertical lift but couldn't tell you what I'm basing that on.

Some people with lake houses put electric trams in. Not sure how much it costs but I've seen them on small houses selling for under $300k so can't be that exorbitant. I don't think any of them can move full-size cars though, just small boats, humans and cargo.

Or the super fancy ones have cable cars which probably do cost a fortune.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The path from the parking up to our cabin is about that steep, and we've joked about putting in a cable car. Good to know it's actually possible if we should suddenly find that sort of money.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just don’t let the press find out if you run for office.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm Norwegian, and I still haven't seen a politician properly shamed for having a heated driveway at his mountain palace - a rickety deathtrap up to our tiny south coast place should logically be fine. Still, yeah, something about "private funicular" just sounds unbearably frivolous. :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remind them that it’s only a funicular if it has two cars counterbalancing each other.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

my private lake paternoster

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Raise the road.

That one’s free. PM me for my rates as a professional consultant.

no they can't due to requirements.. they shoudl lower teh garage

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Remind them that it’s only a funicular if it has two cars counterbalancing each other.

Oh yeah, true. Cable car? Aerial tramway?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

At least the downstairs has tile for convenient washing of the bloodspray.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Youth Decay posted:

Some people with lake houses put electric trams in. Not sure how much it costs but I've seen them on small houses selling for under $300k so can't be that exorbitant. I don't think any of them can move full-size cars though, just small boats, humans and cargo.

Or the super fancy ones have cable cars which probably do cost a fortune.

My folks live on a lake with steep water access, and the beefier, "don't feel like a complete deathtrap" trams (similar to the one in your second picture) easily go over $100k for ~100 yards of tram. Fortunately their neighbor paid for one of the non-death trap variety and they are rarely up there, so we get to use it rather than climb the path up cardiac hill that was poured by the world worst concrete guy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just dig the garage down at street level and add a staircase to the house? Am I missing something?

It’s a subdivision that builds out 6 different housing floor plans, all of them with attached garages. The builder likely cannot fix it without getting some sort of custom builder involved (which they obviously did not do)

Either way this was posted a while ago and the solution was the city giving an allowance to move the sidewalk next to the street and making the driveway less steep but still pretty loving steep. Someone here posted the google street view too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/colettearrand/status/1291210073935613953

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

In addition to being crappy, it's just stupid. At that distance from students you're not worried about blocking droplets, you're talking aerosolized SARS-CoV-2. The bigger concern would be the heater by the window sucking up airborne particles and then blasting them back out.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In addition to being crappy, it's just stupid. At that distance from students you're not worried about blocking droplets, you're talking aerosolized SARS-CoV-2. The bigger concern would be the heater by the window sucking up airborne particles and then blasting them back out.

It's Georgia so they're unlikely to need the heater for a few months and by that time everyone in the state will already be dead from coronavirus sooooo

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

It's Georgia so they're unlikely to need the heater for a few months and by that time everyone in the state will already be dead from coronavirus sooooo

AC will be blasting well through September though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i dunno this seems pretty solid to me

:dadjoke:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
So, we bought a house last month and the inspector, VA, bank and whoever else said all was good. The previous owner even signed an affidavit saying that the roof did not need work. Well the whole roof needs replaced way sooner than later. I've the funds to cover that, but I'd much prefer to have the previous owner or whoever help at least a little. We have floated the idea of a lawsuit too, granted I don't know how viable that is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I am sure the previous owners stated that, "to the best of their knowledge."

And I am also sure the inspector's contract stated "we don't promise we'll find everything."

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

I don't doubt it. I'm frustrated by it, I trusted my husband with this stuff and I really should have pressed for getting a better look at things.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This one falls mostly to the inspector, I'd say, but they've definitely put language in there to protect themselves, and inspectors are a crapshoot. Some are awesome! Some are lazy. Some will get the ladder out and go up on the roof and get pictures and check the roofline and shingle condition and watch for rotting sheathing and look at the underside from the attic and so on. Others will have a look from the driveway and call it good.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

This one falls mostly to the inspector, I'd say, but they've definitely put language in there to protect themselves, and inspectors are a crapshoot. Some are awesome! Some are lazy. Some will get the ladder out and go up on the roof and get pictures and check the roofline and shingle condition and watch for rotting sheathing and look at the underside from the attic and so on. Others will have a look from the driveway and call it good.

The dude went into the attic, took pictures, and seemed to have said everything is fine, though he didn't seem to do anything about going into the attic space of the addition where the leak is. He'd mentioned that there had been a leak previously but it seemed to have stopped, which has proven to be untrue, unfortunately.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Is that a thing that can happen? I would be hard-pressed to think of a situation where a roof leak would just resolve itself, but I’m not a roofer or inspector so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Freaquency posted:

Is that a thing that can happen? I would be hard-pressed to think of a situation where a roof leak would just resolve itself, but I’m not a roofer or inspector so I dunno.

When it's repaired, but the stains from the leak are left alone.