Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Martytoof posted:

I hope it’s streaming on Crave either at airtime or shortly after. Was hoping to TV-IV it live but eh..

If it's airing on CTV Sci-Fi (which it is), then it will be on Crave by midnight or 1:00 AM, like Disco and Picard did before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Eaglemoss sells scale models of basically every ship that's ever appeared in a Star Trek show ever (sans Picard at the moment), including some special edition semi-canonical releases like the Titan, the Aventine, and the Enterprise-F from STO, all for around $25 a pop.

Diamond Select/Art Assylum also sells larger scale models of the hero ships, mainly the various Enterprises and the odd Bird of Prey. Last year they finally got around to making the Enterprise-C, and they usually clock in at $100 per unit.

But Eaglemoss is doing stupid well with it's Trek line to the point where there were going to wrap it up like a year ago and demand for newer ships was so big they started making Disco models and rolled out another design wave for their regular and special stocks, and they routinely sell out of poo poo and have to reprint stuff.
God I can't believe some of the ships they have. Especially the different concept ships like the Excelsior concepts and the proposed NX-01 refit concept that would have been used if Enterprise hadn't been cancelled

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

I think the All-Access shows generally drop at midnight

:neckbeard:

Timby posted:

Pacific

:smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

God I can't believe some of the ships they have. Especially the different concept ships like the Excelsior concepts and the proposed NX-01 refit concept that would have been used if Enterprise hadn't been cancelled

Yeah, they've got a whole running sub set that's basically "weird poo poo that never made it past the concept phase" like the original Voyager prototype, the Phase II Enterprise, the Andrew Probert Enterprise-C concept, some of the unused TOS shuttle designs, and on and on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I miss the days of Playmates when they were shoving out Bajoran tricorders and Bones’ medical kit and all the phasers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

If it's airing on CTV Sci-Fi (which it is), then it will be on Crave by midnight or 1:00 AM, like Disco and Picard did before it.

Ahh gently caress. Well I’m boned then. Guess I’m not TV-IV’ing it with y’all :[

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I miss the days of Playmates when they were shoving out Bajoran tricorders and Bones’ medical kit and all the phasers.

*pounds table* SPOCK HELMET! SPOCK HELMET! SPOCK. HELMET!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

I hope it’s streaming on Crave either at airtime or shortly after. Was hoping to TV-IV it live but eh..

It's streaming on Crave tomorrow, so what time does Crave usually put out new shows?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Epicurius posted:

It's streaming on Crave tomorrow, so what time does Crave usually put out new shows?

Usually midnight-2AM the day before it airs on broadcast. I remember Picard would go up at like 1AM on Thursday mornings and would air at 6PM Thursday night, so it’ll probably be online tonight if you check.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh wait I read that backwards. I thought it would be midnight after it aired. Hmm. I’ll have to check tomorrow morning. Would still be more fun to TV-IV it but now that I think about it not sure what that does to commercials etc. Might just watch it and come to complain in spoiler tags.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is Crave? Is this :filez:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I've been seething for years that this stuff never showed up in Canada when I was a kid. The loving Assault Phaser! gently caress, dude!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

It's a Canadian online streaming service similar to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, ect. It also has an actual broadcast channel arm on many cable providers which airs first-run home video release movies. Generally speaking, if you have a modern cable package in Canada a Crave subscription comes bundled in it by default.

Modern Trek episodes get uploaded on Crave around the same time they go online on CBS All Access or Amazon Prime, namely after midnight on the day they premiere on Canada's sci-fi broadcast network, CTV Sci-Fi. It's a rare example of Canada not getting turbofucked in the realm of access to content that the rest of the world normally also gets.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I used to have the ships that would light up and make noise. Like a Voyager one, an Enterprise D one, TNG shuttle, the Vor’cha class Klingon cruiser, and the Romulan Warbird

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

Kittycats crave Crave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0a_Krfr6kA

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Stun or Disrupt? No kill?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

oh noooooooo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ramadu posted:

oh noooooooo

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I enjoyed it. It was a little too fast and dense with the jokes. Hopefully like Orville it suffered from that first episode thing where it tried too hard. Pretty fun and I genuinely laughed at some of it. Animation looked great too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The biggest laugh it got out of me was in the opening, when the Romulans are all fighting the Borg and the Cerritas comes across it and is like.... nah, I'm out.

The worst part was honestly all the name dropping at the end. There's zero reason anyone should be dropping ToS and TNG names in-canon like that, especially when they just gave a speech about how officers are all lame.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

DaveKap posted:

The biggest laugh it got out of me was in the opening, when the Romulans are all fighting the Borg and the Cerritas comes across it and is like.... nah, I'm out.

The worst part was honestly all the name dropping at the end. There's zero reason anyone should be dropping ToS and TNG names in-canon like that, especially when they just gave a speech about how officers are all lame.

I think most starfleet officers are extremely lame, with very boring careers. The TOS crew literally saved earth with whales, thats at least notable

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Well.

I will say that I at least liked the title sequence. :shrug:

It's a weird mix of "I'm probably not the target audience for this" when they start explaining the uniform division colors and "omg what is this HOLODECK thing?!" for people who have somehow never been exposed to any sort of cultural osmosis, and "here's a poo poo-ton of really obscure 'Cetacean Ops' style references for the hardcore Trek fans out there who are, for some reason, watching this show and probably getting mad about it." I guess... I just don't know who this show is supposed to be for?

I found myself sorta grinning a bit at some of the humor. If they just dialled it back a bit, it'd be a lot more palatable, but I guess they feel a need to come out of the gate swinging with a whole bunch of unfunny bullshit (like Commander Chestbump).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I think most starfleet officers are extremely lame, with very boring careers. The TOS crew literally saved earth with whales, thats at least notable

The Reliant spent presumably years cataloguing planets for the Genesis project.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well that was extremely mediocre. Reminded me of revived Futurama (or Disenchantment). It felt like they'd somehow exhausted the premise before they even started. Or possibly that rather than someone having funny ideas for a show and getting to make it on the strength of those ideas, some people were told "do a Star Trek but funny" and then had to come up with something without breaking a huge list of rules laid down by the IP owners.

I didn't have high expectations for it, but this show still disappointed me. It wasn't terrible and could easily have been worse, but unless it improves dramatically after episode one it doesn't really seem like there's any reason for it to exist. Because so far it's not good at being Star Trek and it's also not good at being comedy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drone posted:

Well.

I will say that I at least liked the title sequence. :shrug:

It's a weird mix of "I'm probably not the target audience for this" when they start explaining the uniform division colors and "omg what is this HOLODECK thing?!" for people who have somehow never been exposed to any sort of cultural osmosis, and "here's a poo poo-ton of really obscure 'Cetacean Ops' style references for the hardcore Trek fans out there who are, for some reason, watching this show and probably getting mad about it." I guess... I just don't know who this show is supposed to be for?

I found myself sorta grinning a bit at some of the humor. If they just dialled it back a bit, it'd be a lot more palatable, but I guess they feel a need to come out of the gate swinging with a whole bunch of unfunny bullshit (like Commander Chestbump).

I'm definitely getting the "i'm probably not the target audience" feeling from this episode alone, but that said I still really enjoyed it. It has the same problem I was worried about with the mile-a-minute zany jokes and cuts from when I compared it to what I remember of Final Space, but definitely not as much so I was able to give it a pass.

I was worried I wouldn't like the characters but so far they all seem fine. I mean the lower decks guys. The command staff are really ehh, and up until end where we get the whole ohh she's her mom I was trying to figure out what the Captain's deal was. I think the cyborg dude is going to be a lot of fun to wrap jokes around, I just hope they can deliver other jokes that aren't the "ha ha he's interested in this other thing where normal people would be kissing" type of schtick.

The comparison to Futurama's first episode felt really apt actually. It felt like they needed to establish so much in such a limited amount of time that it didn't do a good job of pacing for the most part, and I say that as someone who is a Futurama superfan. I distinctly remember feeling underwhelmed when I watched it, after being so hyped up. I came into this with a lot less hype and it actually felt about what I expected so my comfort with the material is probably fine. Hopefully it follows Futurama's line where it basically got great after 3 or 4 episodes and (IMO) didn't have a miss until after first cancellation.

And honestly, as dumb as it sounds I just want to vibe about how awesome it is to get back to a TNG style ship with TNG type uniforms instead of NuTrek dark brooding submarine lighting blue corridors and lens flares. This kind of felt like coming home. It'll be why I keep watching this, if for no other reason.

I'm on board with what they're selling, if they can keep refining the formula I'll put up with the zany joke cuts and enjoy the hell out of it. I would easily rather watch this than Disco.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 6, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Martytoof posted:

I would easily rather watch this than Disco.

Very low bar to clear but I agree with most of this post.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
The opening shot of the shuttle craft entering the main ship just oozes TNG

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I was a bit eh on this episode but I'd much rather watch it than any other of the current series and what i did feel eh about, a lot of it was very obviously because this was such a setup-the-series-and-we're-still-awkward episode.

That'll probably stay that way for the next few but I really feel like this might have the potential to be actually quite good once they get past that.

And god yeah the TNG design aesthetic was just nice to soak in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I really feel like this might have the potential to be actually quite good once they get past that.

Get this optimism for the future out of my Star Trek thread!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also I have to say in retrospect that the poster had literally the worst possible angle of the Cerritos, it looks much less silly from every other angle.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Now that I've had time to digest it a bit, I will say that: warts and all, it was also drat refreshing to have a single, self-contained episode of Star Trek again. Even if they really sorta warped the idea of what Star Trek is to the breaking point a little bit, the basic structure of a mediocre TNG episode was all still there and very familiar-feeling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also the official opinion of the writers is that this series' Three Letter Acronym is LDS.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Watching Lower Decks right now. This is the best title sequence since Voyager, not counting Star Trek: Beyond's credits.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
That was far better than I ever expected. Far more fun than a season of Picard. TNG design elements are timeless and it's insane they've been abandoned in the live-action show.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
How is it that Star Wars gets animated TV series which are often MORE mature in their politics and world building than even the movies while Star Trek of all properties gets a "PICKLE KIRKKKKKKK!" style animation series?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

That was far better than I ever expected. Far more fun than a season of Picard. TNG design elements are timeless and it's insane they've been abandoned in the live-action show.

Iconic, sure. But timeless? I enjoy it and would love to see a natural evolution of it, but TNG has a very dated 90s aesthetic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think a funny cartoon is a bad thing. I'm kind of tired of SERIOUS Trek with all the current offerings so tbh PICKLE KIRK is up my alley right now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Time line wise when is lower decks happening? Like late 2300's?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do agree this episode specifically felt very Pilot Episode-ish (which obviously makes sense). The bones are there for something solid, they just need to tone it down a smidge. The preview for the next episodes at the end definitely looks more promising than the trailers based off this first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kingtheninja posted:

Time line wise when is lower decks happening? Like late 2300's?

A year after Nemesis, so 2380.