Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Ashcans posted:

Uncomfortable to hear the Dire Avengers described as 'outdated' when I haven't gotten around to putting mine together yet. :ohdear:

The Dire Avengers kit isn't that bad. The sculpt is pretty good, and it goes together decently, but it's definitely showing its age when it comes to the lack of posing.

The bonus is that it comes with a random Egyptian falcon looking bit that has no real purpose other than being an homage to a piece of railing in an older art piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing a game of 9th against my buddy this evening - Orks v Blood Angels - my first 2000 point game and maybe 4th or 5th game ever, been building and adding concepts every match and its been a lot of fun, 2000 points though this is gonna be most of our evening

This will be my first time using Bikers or my Stormraven and also my devastator squad, must remember my doctrines!!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm looking at Harlequins now as a full army and I think that's where I'm gonna settle! All the models are cool looking, the army isn't too big, and the models are so varied I can have a lot of fun painting them.

If there are any Harlequin players here, does it make sense to start with just a couple Troupe boxes and go from there? Any particular units I should look for/avoid?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I support you and I’m on mobile...

but I think that base detracts from your model. It blurs everything together.

Yeah I kind of agree? I've been struggling a lot with color choice lately. The base started with a much darker purple-blue before I dry brushed it and added back in some warmer purple hues. Maybe I did too much and should have just left it. Good thing I've got 59 more of these dudes to test on!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I kind of agree? I've been struggling a lot with color choice lately. The base started with a much darker purple-blue before I dry brushed it and added back in some warmer purple hues. Maybe I did too much and should have just left it. Good thing I've got 59 more of these dudes to test on!

I would honestly leave their bases grey, it's a drab neutral colour and will make the purple and silver of the model stand out a lot more.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Moonbase grey , maybe light grey for the Necron. Should go well with the purple, pink.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/06/new-warhammer-40000-terrain/

So apparently the terrain in the Command edition is completely new. Probably means it's going to be picked up en masse once it comes out.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Uncomfortable to hear the Dire Avengers described as 'outdated' when I haven't gotten around to putting mine together yet. :ohdear:

As has been said, there's nothing that wrong with them (besides being very expensive £ per point). They're just a bit dull, there's not too much detail or many exciting options with the kit.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

MRLOLAST posted:

Moonbase grey , maybe light grey for the Necron. Should go well with the purple, pink.

I feel like a soft blue color would contrast the pink really nicely. I don't know what planet has blue dirt but who cares right?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I thought it was the blood angels primarch that stabbed Horus and left a weakness in the armour the emperor was able to exploit? And then the primarch got murdered hard

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seeing Horus slay his own brother Sanguinius was what steeled the Emperor's heart, finally allowing himself to slay Horus.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

Seeing Horus slay his own brother Sanguinius was what steeled the Emperor's heart, finally allowing himself to slay Horus.

Alternatively it was seeing horus destroy a normal human from the Imperial Guard as he charged to protect the Emperor against overwhelming odds that made the Emperor realise horus couldn't be redeemed.

Or it was a custodes that horus slaughtered.

Or it was Sanguinius.

Or it was Russ stabbing him with the Emperor's spear.

This is one of the reasons I dislike the Horus heresy novel, removes some of the mystery from events that happened 10,000 years ago

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I thought it was the blood angels primarch that stabbed Horus and left a weakness in the armour the emperor was able to exploit? And then the primarch got murdered hard

It was this as of like ~17 years ago at least (I'd have to dig up my White Dwarf), seems that GW fluff has expanded quite a bit since then, for good or ill that I don't know.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Alternatively it was seeing horus destroy a normal human from the Imperial Guard as he charged to protect the Emperor against overwhelming odds that made the Emperor realise horus couldn't be redeemed.

gently caress the revisionists this is the only canon answer

Ollanius Pius, never forget

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Babe Magnet posted:

gently caress the revisionists this is the only canon answer

Ollanius Pius, never forget

:hmmyes:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Today I learned that the gunner from the Onager Dunecrawler, fits pretty much perfectly in the turret gun on the Skorpius Whateverator! Just snip a little bit off the gun handle-thingies, snip off the protudy bits in the turret pit, and Cawl's your uncle!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Tried to take some of the advice for the bases. Here's a second guy painted up with a cooler gray instead of purple basing and slightly better lighting:

Here's the first guy again for comparison:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mikey Purp posted:

Tried to take some of the advice for the bases. Here's a second guy painted up with a cooler gray instead of purple basing and slightly better lighting:

It's really a lot better. If you really want pink on the bricks (and that's not necessarily a bad idea if there's only a little of it) you could have it be like an OSL glow from the gun?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah a sparing drybrush on the rocks of the energy colour might be dope

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man the main thing I've gotten from my 30K lore dive the last few days is that I REALLY wanna make a Black Legion or Word Bearers traitor marine army.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

I think that’s a big step in the right direction. Maybe try to make the base a bit; darker, more grey, and a hint more blue.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
think I might try and go a complete opposite direction with mine and try and do some incredibly bright Jack Kirbycrons.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Man the main thing I've gotten from my 30K lore dive the last few days is that I REALLY wanna make a Black Legion or Word Bearers traitor marine army.

30K lore made me want to run Night Lords.

The idea of freehanding lightning patterns pushed me back to Emperor’s Children.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hey guys! Just 24 hours left until entries close! I've updated the wheel, but it's getting hard to see all the names - I'll include a text dump below. If you've entered and you're not on there, please let me know so I don't miss you!

Entrants:

Werix
No. 1 Apartheid Fan
moths
Kabuki Shipoopi
GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Eej
Lizard Combatant
MRLOLAST
Ropes4u
Eschatos
Beerdeer
seventimessix
Shockeh
jadebullet
Marcus Garvey
DiHK
inscrutable horse
kzin602
Verisimilidude
Dr. Red Ranger
AndyElusive
NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hahaha is there seriously another "number one ____ fan"

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I was directed over this direction thanks to the Recent Purchases thread after going in and buying Indomitus without previously playing any type of Warhammer. I've assembled my miniatures, and now it's coming time to paint them. I've decided with the Necron army I'm going to go with a SC2 Protoss inspired theme of yellow and blue, and I'm just working out how I want to go about it for them.

For the Space Marines, I'm not quite sure on what to do there. I could just go standard blue marines, or something different, but I'm at a loss of what else.

(I also bought way too many other little kits and might have gone a little overboard, but I've enjoyed painting what I've got so far.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can look at canonical chapters or you can just look at other sources for inspiration. Blizzard games have a lot of great colour schemes as you've already seen.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Xenoletum posted:

I was directed over this direction thanks to the Recent Purchases thread after going in and buying Indomitus without previously playing any type of Warhammer. I've assembled my miniatures, and now it's coming time to paint them. I've decided with the Necron army I'm going to go with a SC2 Protoss inspired theme of yellow and blue, and I'm just working out how I want to go about it for them.

For the Space Marines, I'm not quite sure on what to do there. I could just go standard blue marines, or something different, but I'm at a loss of what else.

(I also bought way too many other little kits and might have gone a little overboard, but I've enjoyed painting what I've got so far.)

Awesome, welcome to the hobby!

Realistically all space marines are pretty good, so as previously said you can look up "existing" chapters or just paint them however you want.

Who have you got to play the game with? Obviously covid is limiting people right now but there's loads of communities so I'm sure wherever you are there's probably a gaming club or something unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Kitchner posted:

Awesome, welcome to the hobby!

Realistically all space marines are pretty good, so as previously said you can look up "existing" chapters or just paint them however you want.

Who have you got to play the game with? Obviously covid is limiting people right now but there's loads of communities so I'm sure wherever you are there's probably a gaming club or something unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

I'm in the Philadelphia Tri-State area, so we've got a Warhammer Shop in Wilmington, DE and Jenkintown, PA, as well as Redcap Corner in Philly proper and Top Deck/Card Titan in NJ, so I've got options once things open back up for sure. My partner -will- play with me, but they've stated that they won't like it, and that I'm not "dragging them down with my sinking ship on this."

(They're completely happy with me playing and painting because I'm actually seeming to like the build and paint portion, so they're thrilled that I'm finding a hobby I enjoy, they just aren't going to spend the money/fall down the rabbit hole themselves.)

It's just a matter of finding something when something opens up in this area and hopefully it not going as bad as my last D&D AL experience went with casual homophobia and transphobia spouted at the table by someone who smelled like rotting Taco Bell, as well as their partner.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yoooo I'm in the Philly area too! I'm new to the hobby but I'm excited to hang out at the Wilmington shop once that's a thing again

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay. I think my rules will be simple.

If you want to win the Necron Half of Indomitus mailed to your doorstep, along with some other minor goodies, I will be doing a raffle on Friday, 7th of August. You can have two raffle tickets - Here's how you get them.

Ticket 1: Tell me how you would paint your acquisition. I'm not expecting huge detail, here. I just like to get inspired by hearing about painting!

Ticket 2: Tell me about a really positive experience you had once with a hobby pal. Doesn't have to be long. This could be "We would always get together to play a game and end up drinking too much and watching Terminator 2 for some reason" or "I was really inspired with how great an opponent he was here's how".

In the name of fairness, I'll be putting every forums name into a Wheel Decide and sending the link to JIZZ DENOUEMENT for impartiality! Your submissions are due by 5PM PST, August 7th.

Thanks! I hope to see some cheerful stuff!

1). Back when I played infinity I started collecting a second army where I painted the robotic units with black and purple, with very heavy mixes of Vallejo metal medium in both, as the primary colors. I never got to play with them before the Infinity scene where I live died, so I am going to migrate that scheme to necrons.

2). Since I moved to Iowa in 2006 almost every person I have befriended I met through wargaming, since it is the main non-work reason for me to go places(or was before Papa Nurgle introduced us to covid).
Another fun story is that back in my college days I had been part of a forum dedicated to the Legacy of Kain video game series for a while. Was a pretty obscure forum that didn't have a huge population. I picked up 40k at that time and started playing it with people at my University. I somehow found out that one of the people I was gaming with was someone I had been talking to on the LoK forum for years. We were both shocked to discover this, and we became even better friends after that!

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Xenoletum posted:

I'm in the Philadelphia Tri-State area, so we've got a Warhammer Shop in Wilmington, DE and Jenkintown, PA, as well as Redcap Corner in Philly proper and Top Deck/Card Titan in NJ, so I've got options once things open back up for sure. My partner -will- play with me, but they've stated that they won't like it, and that I'm not "dragging them down with my sinking ship on this."

(They're completely happy with me playing and painting because I'm actually seeming to like the build and paint portion, so they're thrilled that I'm finding a hobby I enjoy, they just aren't going to spend the money/fall down the rabbit hole themselves.)

It's just a matter of finding something when something opens up in this area and hopefully it not going as bad as my last D&D AL experience went with casual homophobia and transphobia spouted at the table by someone who smelled like rotting Taco Bell, as well as their partner.

An immediate idea for your partner - paint an army for them.

I recently returned to the hobby with a nearly complete Eldar army from 4th edition. I have cultists and a salvaged space marine army, my brother left to rot. My friend likes the idea, but doesn't want to spend the money/time. So, I let him use one of my armies when we play now (BUT NOT MY ELDAR, NO ONE TOUCHES MY ELDAR!). Perhaps your partner won't mind playing, if you're doing the hard (or fun, since you seem to enjoy doing it) part.

I enjoy the building/painting/collecting and am going to do a Imperial Knights army in the Fall when my wallet recovers.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay. I think my rules will be simple.

If you want to win the Necron Half of Indomitus mailed to your doorstep, along with some other minor goodies, I will be doing a raffle on Friday, 7th of August. You can have two raffle tickets - Here's how you get them.

Ticket 1: Tell me how you would paint your acquisition. I'm not expecting huge detail, here. I just like to get inspired by hearing about painting!

Ticket 2: Tell me about a really positive experience you had once with a hobby pal. Doesn't have to be long. This could be "We would always get together to play a game and end up drinking too much and watching Terminator 2 for some reason" or "I was really inspired with how great an opponent he was here's how".

In the name of fairness, I'll be putting every forums name into a Wheel Decide and sending the link to JIZZ DENOUEMENT for impartiality! Your submissions are due by 5PM PST, August 7th.

Thanks! I hope to see some cheerful stuff!

I wasn't sure if I was gonna post at first, but seeing some of the really positive messages people have posted are really inspiring and figured I'd throw up in.

1)As soon as I saw the new Indomitus Necrons I know what had to be done.

I've never painted orange before except for little details like flame or cables, so this would be a fun challenge to try. Like your message, I really want to try pre-highlighting the metal bits and then try a blue contrast wash over the carapace bits. IMPCAT is awesome:

I've also been testing out using crackle medium to make snow bases and it looks awesome - when my steel legion stuff is done I want to post them.

2) My little brother is my best friend in the world, and we always dreamed about owning and playing Warhammer whenever we went into a hobby/comic store to play MTG/Pokemon cards/whatever our allowance would get us. We ended up playing some a bit with loaned models, but never reaaaaally got a chance to try it until high school. Fast forward to today and it's one of the most important things to us now - we both moved back home to help take care of our mom, and having some quiet hobby time beside rowdy gaming bonding has been amazing, and I'm really happy to be able to have this thing in common.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

That is a sick scheme.

Rules question: I couldn't find any clarification in the BRB, but with pistols, it says they can shoot within engagement range of an enemy. Does this mean that a unit that remains in combat (neither unit is wiped out and both pass morale) can shoot at the enemy unit in it's next shooting phase, before continuing to resolve their fisticuffs? Or does it mean the pistol can be used in the fight phase instead of another weapon being used?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I guess any Space Marine chapter can probably really just do anything, but how do White Scars play / what's their schtick? I don't know squat about any of the Imperium factions, I've always been Xenos/Heretic. But I think I may want to expand my collection of marines slowly alongside my Death Guard.

Since I'll be using the SM as guinea pigs for my pre-heresy DG scheme I figured I'd call them White SARs :v:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spiv posted:

That is a sick scheme.

Rules question: I couldn't find any clarification in the BRB, but with pistols, it says they can shoot within engagement range of an enemy. Does this mean that a unit that remains in combat (neither unit is wiped out and both pass morale) can shoot at the enemy unit in it's next shooting phase, before continuing to resolve their fisticuffs? Or does it mean the pistol can be used in the fight phase instead of another weapon being used?

There isn't such a thing as "in combat" per se. There is an engagement range, and if you are within engagement range of an enemy there's certain things you can and cannot do. One of those things is move normally (meaning you must fall back) and the other is shoot your weapons.

Pistols are an exception, as you can shoot them whole you're within the engagement range of an enemy model.

So the order is: move, shoot with guns, charge into engagement range, fight in combat, enemy turn, fight in enemy turn, remain stationary (in engagement range), shoot with pistol, fight in combat.

So it only matters if the combat lasts more than two fight phases (yours and then your opponents).

Sab669 posted:

I guess any Space Marine chapter can probably really just do anything, but how do White Scars play / what's their schtick? I don't know squat about any of the Imperium factions, I've always been Xenos/Heretic. But I think I may want to expand my collection of marines slowly alongside my Death Guard.

Since I'll be using the SM as guinea pigs for my pre-heresy DG scheme I figured I'd call them White SARs :v:

White Scars are all about lightening fast attacks and hit and run tactics. They love bikes. On the table top this translates to a bunch of biker stratagems along with the ability to advance and shoot or charge, which is great.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 7, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Crossposting from the painting thread. Do one of these look like they're on the right track?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love the impcat app so much. I spent some time playing around with the palette I have, trying to recreate the feel I think I'm going for. I like the middle scheme the most so far because it reminds me of the bold colored Metroid fungal jungle levels. I went with orange to try and recreate the bright spike fungus look but I'm not sure if it translates well to the models themselves. Of course this is all assuming I can even recreate something as clean as the app results.

I also love Ice Planet Necrons. Please do that.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I'm a fan of the last one. I usually try to steer clear of the face being one of the darker parts of the model but I think if you take care to do some extra highlighting there and get the ey glow right it'll work out really well.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Mikey Purp posted:

I really do think using a contrast color like blue would help contrast from the grey of the model. Basically if your model has grey and pink, you want your base to be something else, or something neutral so its invisible, and doesn't take from the model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sab669 posted:

Main gimmick for White Scars is that they're Space Mongols. They get a lot of buffs to Bike units and they have Encirclement which is like Strategic Reserves before it was invented and better (for 1 CP you can have an Impulsor drive in 6" from any edge of the battlefield filled with Marines who don't count as a seperate unit for CP cost). They get an additional 1 Damage to melee attacks when charging (so like, half of Blood Angels because BA get that bonus when receiving a charge too) and they get many ways of boosting their ability to reliably charge into melee. They can also charge after advancing or falling back so you can fall back and basically Total War cycle charge back in for the melee bonus.

Special shout out to the Outrider bikes in the Indomitus Box that can move 20" across the table and get +2 attacks when charging, that they can do because White Scars allows them to Charge after Advancing and also you get +1 Damage to those extra attacks as well

Xenoletum posted:

rotting Taco Bell

incredible Death Guard colour scheme idea