Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Quick, without looking it up! Expanded Memory and Extended Memory: which one was XMS and which was EMS?

xms extended

ems expanded

your cyberpunk princess is in another castle mother fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powered Descent posted:

Quick, without looking it up! Expanded Memory and Extended Memory: which one was XMS and which was EMS?

eXtended, Expanded

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Wheeee posted:

gen x and millenials will be the only tech literate generations alive in the post-apocalypse

We’ll regale them by the corpse fires with our stories about figuring out irq addressing issues.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mysterious frankie posted:

We’ll regale them by the corpse fires with our stories about figuring out irq addressing issues.

“no, I’m telling you that we can have the sound blaster and the Ethernet card at the same time, I just need to figure out this parameter...”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blockade posted:

Posted this in the cop thread but it probably fits better here:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/akzyeb/link-between-lithium-in-drinking-water-suicide-study

Cant believe Vice is trying to put a positive spin on this

Lithium is legit, but it’s contraindicated in too many people for adding it to the water to be a good idea. A lot of people have to go off lithium because their kidneys can’t handle it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just got fat(ter). no discernible effect on my mood

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ekuNNN posted:

my main problem with it is that instead of fixing the main source of depression and suicidal thoughts (capitalism), we're going to look into drugging everyone to not mind it as much. It's totally different than adding fluoride to the water.

no its not. we fluoride the water to counteract the effects of eating cultivated grains on our teeth. humans are not designed for this diet, but stupid civilization has hosed us up. but fluoride to the rescue!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Phytoliths are a bitch and that’s why I eat only meat and processed sugar.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Platystemon posted:

Lithium is legit, but it’s contraindicated in too many people for adding it to the water to be a good idea. A lot of people have to go off lithium because their kidneys can’t handle it.

These trace amounts are far below the psychiatric treatment doses. I'm pretty sure living in one of those towns with "high" lithium groundwater won't kill your kidneys.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1291353795058905095

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

my main problem with it is that instead of fixing the main source of depression and suicidal thoughts (capitalism), we're going to look into drugging everyone to not mind it as much. It's totally different than adding fluoride to the water.

tbf, I wouldn't be surprised if capitalism is also accidentally drugging people into depression and suicidal thoughts

there's a lot of substances that are now part of our day-to-day lives that were basically nonexistent seventy years ago

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

IIRC antidepressants and anti anxiety medication getting into the water has been loving up fish populations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Subjunctive posted:

“no, I’m telling you that we can have the sound blaster and the Ethernet card at the same time, I just need to figure out this parameter...”

ME:...it took a while, but I figured out the issue was a specific dll kept crashing everything when we ran Tableau. Wouldn’t show up in event viewer, damndest thing. Anyhow, after I fixed and reregistered the library everything worked fine. You know, some people say to just reload the whole operating system at that point, but how’re you gonna keep your skills sharp that way?
GANGER:...
ME:...
GANGER:*leans in, face eerily lit by flame* so, like, when you die of *scans body with eyes* diabetes can me and the rest of my clutch harvest your fluids? We’ve all been talking and agree they probably taste like the Irn Bru we found in the ruins of that international grocery store a couple moons back.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Blockade posted:

IIRC antidepressants and anti anxiety medication getting into the water has been loving up fish populations.

A lot of medications. Contraceptive medications is the one that I'm most familiar with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am told it is ‘another problem eels don’t need’.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
artisinal water made from just the right balance of antidepressants, hormones, hormone-disruptors, microplastics, antibiotics, toxoplasmosis

also, soy

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
humanity in a water poisoning feedback loop ftw

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think you can make the argument "trace elements are cool and good, lets make sure all our water is great" without it being all dystopian, but the framing of doing this specifically for depression does kinda weird me out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i hope my recycled piss makes you less anxious.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think some of y'all missed the bit where they're talking about concentrations like 1% of a therapeutic dose that still seems to have an effect on suicide rates.

Seems to me like it's probably just a correlation not a causation thing but if they manage to show the same effect through RCT then I would have no problems with them adding trace amounts of lithium to drinking water

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

I think some of y'all missed the bit where they're talking about concentrations like 1% of a therapeutic dose that still seems to have an effect on suicide rates.

Seems to me like it's probably just a correlation not a causation thing but if they manage to show the same effect through RCT then I would have no problems with them adding trace amounts of lithium to drinking water

wasnt this literally the plot of the Firefly movie? the space government goes too far and starts drugging the air to reduce crime and disobedience. except they get the dose wrong one day and everyone just stops caring about life and starves to death. also 1% of the population go utterly insane and start eating each other

edit yup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-NVs68X_S4

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Aug 6, 2020

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Now I'm wondering if there's any public health level research on the psychological impacts of other water chemicals. I lived in a town for five years where the water had so much sodium that if you were on a low sodium diet, you could not have any other source of sodium in your diet, at all. That water tasted like garbage, must've had some effect on the minds of the people tolerating it.

sometimes we get glimpses of the cool cyberpunk dystopia

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bike tory posted:

Listen, we have Teslas, and they're full of lithium, so this is a solved problem.

Why did you think Teslas attack firetrucks?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Listen, we have Teslas, and they're full of lithium, so this is a solved problem.

Why did you think Teslas attack firetrucks?

so what you're saying is that for a fun, legal thrill I should throw my tesla battery into the town water supply instead of the ocean

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
there's also a stephen king story where some guy decides to drug the entire planet with some sort of super lithium but it turns out prolonged exposure causes dementia and long term memory loss leading to humanity dying out as people forget how to take care of children all written from the perspective of the guys brother whose mind is slowly breaking down

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

bike tory posted:

so what you're saying is that for a fun, legal thrill I should throw my tesla battery into the town water supply instead of the ocean

Stops it from starting a fire at least. :shrug:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

withak posted:

Life without raw onions isn't even living.

put that poo poo on a bagel with cream cheese

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

The Nastier Nate posted:

put that poo poo on a bagel with cream cheese

now youre cookin

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Felony harassment charges for a retweet of tweet doxxing a cop

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

You might identify this man who should be legally obligated to share his badge number in a sane world. You know, if anyone actually posted that information. Which they didn't.

Jail for life.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

uber_stoat posted:

i hope my recycled piss makes you less anxious.

New thread title right here.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1291496658010857472

"bug"

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

quote:

Tim Murtaugh, the director of communications for the Trump campaign, denied the algorithm had a pro-Trump bias, and expressed unfounded claims that Silicon Valley companies are staffed by "the extreme left." The Biden campaign declined to comment.

lol

:negative:

just lol

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if we put thc in all the water

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dolphin posted:

what if we put thc in all the water

what if just cyanide?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

God I loving wish

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Platystemon posted:

surely we can add something to the food/water supply to strengthen the kidneys, which would be a noble goal on it's own

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Put lead in the air, water and any paint around too. Just thinking out loud here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

taqueso posted:

surely we can add something to the food/water supply to strengthen the kidneys, which would be a noble goal on it's own

And then when winter arrives, the gorillas will simply freeze to death!