Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Hey Goosbusters, I just sent you a friend invite on Steam. Lemme know if there is any room in the Goon guild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kild posted:

did open wounds get removed

It hasn’t but the change to his passive has made it basically impossible to jungle as lifestealer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I’m looking to get into DotA for the first time ever where would you recommend I start and how?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I generally wouldn’t recommend getting into playing dota unless you’ll be playing with friends and even then, eeehhh

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Hit the play game button. If you find it fun, continue.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

NieR Occomata posted:

If I’m looking to get into DotA for the first time ever where would you recommend I start and how?

Why would you do this

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

first, turn off the profanity filter in the settings, then start a normal game
as soon as you get into the pick screen, find the little map and immediately click on the centre lane.
then, scroll through the list of heroes and pick any one that you happen to like the look of. at this point your ears should be filling with the sound of your teammates telling you to do things. things that you don't understand, most likely in a variety of different languages. as it dawns on them that you don't know what it is they're talking about, they will begin to shout, and scream, and hurl expletives and probably slurs at you. lean back in your chair and close your eyes. close your mind to all other sensory input. let the fury of your teammates wash over you. this is dota.

if you find yourself enjoying this music, or even desiring to join this vile chorus, then stay. otherwise, leave, and do not look back, because this is all that there is

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NieR Occomata posted:

There's no DotA SA discord that I know of, but if you join this one and go to the dota channel there's a few people there who'd be down to play with you.

https://discord.gg/nFYAkV

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/hoxieloxie/status/1290208135232118791

cant vouch for this at all but here it is https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/i3l8ox/the_new_player_experience_may_still_not_be_here/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
For real, you can learn to play dota and have a lot of fun but need to have a really thick skin or just turn off chat because there will be people unhappy you aren't doing some small thing perfectly even though you are matchmaking with them for a reason (they are really bad).

It's good to have some idea of what roles are going in so you get an idea of what to pick and what other people are expecting you to do based on what they pick. If you are a support try to stun and kill people in lanes and roam around and kill people mid game. If you are a carry hit creeps until you have items.

https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Role

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

You can also play dota and really have no fun at all. It can be incredibly fun when your team plays well together but, when they don’t, it’s a horrible frustrating mess and you’re like we have to pressure we can’t just farm for 35 minutes they have an AM and we have no disables so I’m going to push please come with me and then your team only farms and you lose because AM gets fat and you just hate everything

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't think there is a game that comes close in terms of the range of fun/not fun happy/sad that is in this one. Like in that example that AM probably thinks he is a loving god for carrying his poo poo team to a win

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I play dota because of the emotional investment. Like it’s a fun skill game, too, but crushing the hopes and dreams of your opponents is what I’m here for.

Of course, that means that someone on the other side isn’t having a good time, but it’s all good: they’ll crush my hopes and dreams at some point.... except they won’t; I’ll come back from the brink of defeat to crush their hopes and dreams in such a way that makes them fear my name, uninstall the game, and become a mountain hermit who can only mutter “dota”.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean... I know the soul crushing tedium of a bad MOBA game, I played LoL like a decade ago, I’m fully expecting to suck and play like poo poo for like 100 hours. I’m also fully expecting the people I play with to be garbage assholes because, well, it’s a MOBA game.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

NieR Occomata posted:

I mean... I know the soul crushing tedium of a bad MOBA game, I played LoL like a decade ago, I’m fully expecting to suck and play like poo poo for like 100 hours

My dear sweet child

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If you played League and remember the basics of like, "Don't push waves just last hit" and "Don't blindly run at the enemy you will die a lot" that'll go a long way but I have thousands of hours into DOTA and I'm still bad lol. There are just so many more things to learn in this game. And most things are much more unforgiving

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Just learn one or two heroes and get good at them, forever. For me those heroes were techies and nature's prophet (only when jungling was still viable, RIP).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The most important thing to remember about dota is that, especially at low levels, you have very little control over the outcome of the game. Lots of matches will come down to getting carried or getting completely stomped and it’s important to not personally invest in a W or L. Just focus on doing your role better and learning basic things like the map and creep timings

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Fuckkkkk it sucks losing a game when you are at 99%

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

NieR Occomata posted:

I mean... I know the soul crushing tedium of a bad MOBA game, I played LoL like a decade ago, I’m fully expecting to suck and play like poo poo for like 100 hours. I’m also fully expecting the people I play with to be garbage assholes because, well, it’s a MOBA game.

Don’t expect to ever not suck at dota

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The best way to start is to play a lot of 12v12.

It was better before it added wierd pay to win poo poo buts it's still a good way to pick any hero and see what their buttons do with less people yelling at you and less concern about having any effect on the outcome of the game because there are 24 people playing.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Purge also has lots of detailed new player guides on youtube if you're into research and his soothing voice.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Legitimately I think the best way to actually start playing and then get good at dota is the following

Play 200 games in different positions with different heros and mute everyone else in the game, all 9 other players. Watch purge videos if you want but really doesn’t matter that much.

Then, pick a role to play and watch pub game vods of top 50-100 players, pick well known pros other than Topson, in that role. Then watch vods of your own games, and see what’s different about their ability usage, map movement, item builds, skill builds, and how they play the lane. Try and do more of what they do.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NieR Occomata posted:

I've played dota for 3000 hours and am still bad enough at it that people wish death threats upon me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

im immortal and I still get that so

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NieR Occomata posted:

I @'d you on discord if you want to play together sometime.

Kild posted:

im immortal and I still get that so

same but a bit lower, divine.

Well I was. My addiction to double down techies will be the end of me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

My addiction to double down techies will be the end of me.

Because someone will track you down and actually murder you for picking Techies, I assume?

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

discord link doesnt work anymore but is there a discord for goons who play dota?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrownianMotion posted:

discord link doesnt work anymore but is there a discord for goons who play dota?

As I said before there's only a few of us hanging around there, but I've gotten some games in at least.

https://discord.gg/kjwqXFU

There's a dota channel but I don't think there's a goon dota discord, as there's not a ton of goons who play it.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the boys are back but in a better game as requested https://twitch.tv/wangsbig

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Wangsbig posted:

the boys are back but in a better game as requested https://twitch.tv/wangsbig

So why we posting our lol streams here?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

So why we posting our lol streams here?

u can post about the quality content being regularly added to the beloved dota 2 videogame

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
I haven't played in 3-4 years, I think they had just introduced Dota Plus. Did anything of note change (the activity in this thread says no)? I see towers are now called outposts, and there's some kind of extra item slot. What's the best way to get up to date? Dive in and get reported by 4 raging Russians?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the pro dota thread is slightly more active. there's a goon guild too in the last few pages.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893007

Biggest change is probably neutral items. The extra item slot is specifically for them.

Dive in imo. it's still dota, you hit creeps and kill heroes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Other changes that come to mind:
- you have an outpost instead of shrines in your jungle now. They give true sight vision and every 10 minutes you get an XP boost if you control at least one. You can capture your opponent's by channeling on it once you've taken at least one of their tier 2 towers
- everyone has their own courier now for free. It starts very slow and gains speed as you level up. They fly once you're level 4.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hiowf posted:

I haven't played in 3-4 years, I think they had just introduced Dota Plus. Did anything of note change (the activity in this thread says no)? I see towers are now called outposts, and there's some kind of extra item slot. What's the best way to get up to date? Dive in and get reported by 4 raging Russians?

towers aren't called outposts, outposts are different. Outposts are indestructible buildings in the jungle that you can teleport to and which give your whole team exp every 10 minutes. While you can't kill them you can steal the other team's outpost if you've knocked one of their T2s over and then you can teleport to it and it'll give you exp instead of them. They replaced Shrines, which were a kind of building that was around for a while that was similar except that it healed you instead of giving you exp, and you could blow them up but not steal them(also they both existed simultaneously for a while, and also for a while there were like 5 shrines on each teams high ground which made games last forever because whenever you tried to break high ground they'd turbo heal the entire defending team).

the extra item slot is for neutral items, which are items that randomly drop from jungle creeps. there are 5 tiers of them which become available in order at 7, 17, 27, 37 and 60 minutes, and each team can get a maximum of 4 items out of each tier. They're kind of a bad mechanic because it's completely random which neutrals you get out of each tier, and if you get neutral items which synergize well with your hero you can end up massively power-spiking whereas if you're unlucky you can find nothing but items that are utterly useless for your team. You can end up with things like: skywrath getting a free atos at 17 minutes, sniper getting a hex that he can apply at his attack range for free at 37 minutes, the entire team getting a 100 bonus to both attack and cast range at 27 minutes, PA getting a free skadi and a free desolator in one item whose effects stack with the desolator she already has at 27 minutes, etc. None of which is even going into the kind of bullshit the game will give you at T5 if the game somehow lasts for 60 minutes(which for a taste includes a blink dagger that AOE stuns around your destination and a combination passive Linken's Lotus with a super short cooldown).

there was also a period of time where neutrals went into your normal inventory and there was no limit on how many could drop, where nobody even had item builds and instead had inventories consisting entirely of boots and then 5 bits of random junk they found in the woods.

they also made kill bounties unreliable gold at some point, which sucks

There's also some other dumb stuff that has come and gone in the mean time, like when couriers could use Dagon for a while

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
Looks like 7.20 also completely changed how many items are built and that was before all the balance patches on top of it.

Lesgoon
Jan 16, 2004
Diretide is a great way to jump back into things right now. Just pick a hero you like and teamfight constantly for 15 minutes. It's also great for trying new builds or heroes you are unfamiliar with.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there a solo queue option somewhere for Diretide? The mode is fun but getting stomped by 5 stacks minmaxing top tier Diretide comps while being on a team of randoms with new players (like me) sucks rear end after a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i love that this diretide shows what valve can do when they pull their finger out and actually give dota 2 some love

shame about all the other years though. guess they're really starting to worry about player counts.