Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Willo567 posted:

where does love live and they live take place in the version of turn a gundam where every sunrise property/adaptation is part of the dark history

Future Century. School Idol Festivals are what they replace the Gundam Fights with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
thank you. now to place love live and g gundam on my turn a crossover fanfiction. i already have the gundam wing and hanyo no yashahime timeline figured out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now, to find the perfect Love Live song to mashup with this baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-MHDclkBY

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If you die in vr chat you die in real life

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Now, to find the perfect Love Live song to mashup with this baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd-MHDclkBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zows_Bbd2MM

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
tower of god is really rote and boring

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Even if in hindsight I'm not as mesmerized as I was in 2018 by ZLS, holy poo poo it's still one of my favorite 1st episodes ever. :rock:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Even if in hindsight I'm not as mesmerized as I was in 2018 by ZLS, holy poo poo it's still one of my favorite 1st episodes ever. :rock:

Yeah as the series went on it felt like they opted out of stuff like the first 2 episodes and tried to play it too safe.

Those first 2 episodes though holy poo poo.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

me irl

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

condolences on your mood disorder

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

condolences on your mood disorder

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just saw Promare and it was dope as gently caress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/animegirlnoises/status/1290906869364428800

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

god i love king gainer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Willo567 posted:

god i love king gainer

:same:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I also learned that KIng Gainer is very loosely based off a 97 book series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Compagnie_des_glaces

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I played FSN and Tsukihime god knows how long ago (12-13 years maybe????) and I’ve just been kinda bemused as Fate got loving massive somehow. I haven’t played or watched anything past Realta Nua and the cooking show. I heard Zero was worthwhile but I just didn’t care when it came out.

Is the extended universe any good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I played FSN and Tsukihime god knows how long ago (12-13 years maybe????) and I’ve just been kinda bemused as Fate got loving massive somehow. I haven’t played or watched anything past Realta Nua and the cooking show. I heard Zero was worthwhile but I just didn’t care when it came out.

Fate/Grand Order, the mobile game, has tons of good writing in it but the early chapters are pretty dull and it has the obvious issue of being kind of a predatory gacha game with combat that gets repetitive over time. None of the anime adaptations of it are very good - First Order is just a weird advert for it, and the Babylonia anime has some very impressive animation in it but makes no effort to characterize the protagonist and keeps in a lot of dull filler fights. Basically, these are both things that work fine in gameplay - the protagonist barely has lines in scenes in game because it's jsut a viewpoint for you, you can imagine your own thoughts based on your own reactions, and a few filler fights arent that big a deal when they're taking up 3 minutes of a 6 hour chapter of a mobile game - but fall apart in animation, since the protagonist is the central character in an anime and 5-6 minute fight scenes against generic wolves add nothing. It also only adapts one chapter of the larger narrative. The babylonia anime is still okay enough but I wouldn't recommend it as a standalone thing.

If you have no interest in playing a mobile game you could look up the cutscenes and such on youtube. I do really recommend it, though, there's some exceptional stuff in there once you get past the kinda dull early chapters. Be sure to watch the events, too, if you do decide to go this route. Heck, even if you play it, look up the events you missed.

Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is an incredible sequel to FSN and something I highly recommend, it has a lot of great content that expands on the cast of FSN and also very good original characters with their own plot. It's my favorite thing in the franchise. It's a direct sequel to FSN though (sort of) so if you played FSN 12-13 years ago it might be worth skimming the Let's Play or something.

Fate/Extra is fine. Not great, but fine. The combat is terrible but the writing is okay and there's some extremely good characters. It's getting a remake though, so just wait for that.

Fate/Extra CCC is very, very good but is not translated. It may get a remake after Fate/Extra's remake.

Fate/Extella is a terrible Warriors clone with an overly long and wordy plot. It has some decent scenes but is overall not worth it.

Fate/Extella Link is a good Warriors clone with basically no plot to speak of. It's worth it if you like Warriors games and can find it for 20-30 bucks.

Fate/Apocrypha has some likable characters but the protagonist is kinda dull and it has so many characters that not everyone gets enough screentime or a strong resolution. It's fine for what iti s, but it's more like a B-Grade shonen with some impressive animation in parts than anything amazing.

Case Files is mostly a sequel about one of Fate/Zero's main characters and is fairly useless if you don't know the character. It's a decent enough series if you do like the character, though.

Fate/Zero is... Fate/Zero. I think it goes out of its way to screw over most of its female cast but it has impressive production values and is a fairly gripping thriller in the moment, even if a lot of it feels pretty hackneyed if you sit down and look at it. my broader issue is that it lacks basically any element of humor when so much of Fate is characterized by humor. F/Z is completely stonefaced, so it feels kind of exhausting. If you like overly self-serious thrillers well enough then it's decent at being one of those, though.

Carnival Phantasm is an extremely funny gag anime that I highly recommend if you have any attachment to Fate or Tsukihime at all.

So overall: There's some very good stuff, some okay stuff, and a couple of things that aren't really worth your time. If I had to pick two things I'd definitely say check out Carnival Phantasm and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Fate/Grand Order is a lot to take in and comes with the obvious mobage caveats, plus the caveat of having a pretty rough start, but is worth it if you do feel like putting up with those things.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Watch Zero, so you can watch the spinoff where the kid from Zero is a wizard/professor/detective.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Like you'd expect it varies, and is going to depend on the person and what they want/expect. This is by no means an exhaustive list but these are the ones I'd probably bring up:

If you liked the original VN, its sequel Fate/hollow ataraxia finally got translated and IMO it's the best Fate-related product there's been. Characters that were throwaways or undercooked in the original get far more time to shine and it's probably the funniest the series has ever been while also having a lot of heart. It's what pretty much established, more so than the original in a lot of ways, what Fate is really like.

Fate/Zero is a notable show for being the Fourth Holy Grail War talked about often in the original VN, following Kiritsugu. It's an arguably important touchpoint in the overall Fate lore as it introduced a lot of characters who have been very important in subsequent works (such as Waver) and is pretty popular. I personally think it's a story that has aged quite badly and think less of it as time has gone but it's probably worth experiencing if you have any interest in the worldbuilding of Fate in general.

Today's Menu for the Emiya Family is pure fluff but it's absolutely great if that's what you want.

Carnival Phantasm was a gag show that pulled in multiple T-M works that varied in quality but had some pretty funny parts at times.

Fate/Extra and its sequel CCC were mediocre-playing JRPGs that established the Moon Cell as a setting for HGWs and introduced a massive number of important characters and concepts that have propagated throughout Fate stuff since then. CCC is talked about by some as one of the best stories Nasu has written but it's only partially translated. Extra is getting a remake that will hopefully play a lot better so it'll be something that can be recommended more confidently. I'll throw in Extella and Extella Link here which are musou sequels of a sort but I have no experience with them, most people don't seem to really like them that much except for IIRC Link.

Fate/Apocrypha was mediocre but did introduced a few interesting concepts and characters.

Case Files follows Waver from Zero. I didn't like it as much as I hoped but I think the setting is neat, it's one of the only times we've gotten an in-depth look at the "proper" world of Mages in Fate.

Finally, Fate/Grand Order is the gacha game and has blackhole consumed the vast majority of Fate-related conversations in recent years. It took a long while to get good writing-wise but I do think it eventually came into its own and became pretty compelling. Honestly there's so much to unpack on FGO, both good and bad, that it kind of warrants a whole separate conversation. Like I'm pretty into it but I don't know if I'd actually recommend someone who is completely clean of it that they should try it out themselves.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 6, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
which one has the best Saber?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Apocrypha.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Redline is pretty alright too from what I've read, I think if you like Baccano and Fate you'd like Strange Fake, and I've never read Requiem and I don't think it has an english translation.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hollow Ataraxia is mandatory reading if you like f/sn.

Don't pay money to watch Zero is my advice.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Everyone forgets Kagetsu Tohya.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you have to read tsukihime to get to kagetsu tohya and tsukihime's kinda aged rough in all the early stuff. much rougher barrier to entry than fate route

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Chargeman Ken restoration crowdfund is 90% of the way done which we are very likely going to get to see the dynamite brain episode in 2K hi-def: https://readyfor.jp/projects/cha-ken

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dzhay posted:

Watch Zero, so you can watch the spinoff where the kid from Zero is a wizard/professor/detective.
You don't even need to do that, I jumped into it cold and it was fine. I stalled out at about ep6 but that's what I do for every show I watch.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

same, having depression and add is epic

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Stairmaster posted:

same, having depression and add is epic

buck up, you made the muv luv journey. you're a real Gamer

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*looks off into the distance with hollow eyes*

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Apocrypha.

*rolls up sleeves* get ready for your rear end kicking

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zetsubou-san posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ5dSwqSv3s

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Apocrypha.

yeah siegfried is cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zetsubou-san posted:

fgo has all of them

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

it doesn't have Charlie yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

its cool that I've never watched king gainer and know nothing about it but immediately thought Tomino directed this scene