Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Vookatos posted:

We're talking about music and I don't see anyone mentioning actual best mega man song which is SPARK MANDRILL which is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The last page had me going :psyduck:, people actually prefer the SNES X3 soundtrack? Literally every song except like, Intro Stage and Blizzard Buffalo is just that same goddamn grunge guitar that sounds like rear end. Like, the melodies are great, don't get me wrong, but the instrumentation is GARBAGE. The PSX/Saturn version actually sounds like real music!
I don't want megaman to sound like "real music"

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hey, I don't remember saying that!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The PSX/Saturn version actually sounds like real music!

Noted arbiter of what is and is not real music Kite Pride Worldwide laying down some truths.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Noted arbiter of what is and is not real music Kite Pride Worldwide laying down some truths.

Thank you for understanding. Instrumentation is extremely important!!

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So I have been playing MMBN 4.5 lately and that game is pretty different from the other games so far. With stuff like the big weekend tournaments, the daily ones and the much less involved story (so far it has been only "Oh no, Darkloid activity in Internet_ , people be careful as the officials wait for a awesome netbattler to take care of the issue") it has been more conductive to playing a bit each day here and there instead of just binging through.

The battle system is also weird with how you got no direct control over your navi and the way the chip selection works. Feels like it is much less about kinda planning how you use your chips until the next custom gauge fill and much more of in-the-moment decisions based on which 3 you currently got available. At least your navi seems to generally handle dodging well and only make dumb mistakes when you tell them to attack or there are enough attacks going around where it would be really hard to dodge anyway. Though some navi fights can get a bit annoying, Numberman is kinda rough with needing to do charge shots timed just right (and sometimes your navi will just move around right in the path of another ball anyway).

Gonna see how deep the game goes, haven't seen any tier 2 viruses yet and still need to explore past the second tournament-based gate. Wouldnt mind finding some stronger viruses to get better chips at least

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
That's cool. Did a translation for that game ever get finished?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yup: https://www.therockmanexezone.com/general/2019/10/26/mega-man-battle-network-4-5-real-operation-english-translation/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Operate Shooting Star (the DS remake of the original Battle Network that adds in one additional scenario as well as some useful features like a detailed map of the cyber world and the ability to run from battles manually like you could in the other games) and the Wonderswan game (which is a 2D sidescroller loosely based on the first season of the anime) also got full English translations a while back as well.

Kind of wish they’d remake/port the mobile games eventually as from what I’ve seen they looked kind of interesting (not sure if there’s any way to emulate them though, nor do I know if they’re even still available from the Japanese shop).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 22, 2020

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
One word of warning: At the start of MMBN 4.5 you will get mail warning people about rampaging navis which is basically how the "plot" of this game is being told, and it hints that to find the first navi you have to search deadends until you find that one. Problem is, if you win the bossfight then next time you jack out and jack back into the internet a stronger version of that navi will be a random encounter. Veterans of the series probably remember this being how you get the hardest version of bosses to spawn, though at least here the random encounter versions are not the omega/v3 version... just the beta/v2 version :v:

Let's just say that the first time I ran into SparkmanBeta with 180 max health I didn't last very long. Even now I am not entirely sure how to handle those yet, my chip folder still feels very early to midgame-ish without any coherent battle plan and more just chips that kill viruses good. Also I am just not good at the battle system yet to figure out how to make my navi not get murdered. So you may wanna hold off on following those mails until you are either confident in your fighting capabilities or are fine with having some zones that can have a random chance of near guaranteed death

One thing I am wondering about is if there are any dark chips in the game. Since 4 and 5 were all about them and there are stuff like DS versions of navichips signs point to yes, but at least they are not the 5 kind which you put in your folder. Considering how some items you can get randomly and more than once let you increase your max hp you could potentially even fight against the drain on your health those tend to cause over time. Cannot wait to shove the physical manifestation of evil into my little buddy :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

20xx (That roguelite megaman xish game) is gonna be the next freebie in the epic game store

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Tunicate posted:

20xx (That roguelite megaman xish game) is gonna be the next freebie in the epic game store

Pretty decent game. I recommend it. Platforming will become your enemy in the later stages

Their next game is 30XX. More roguelike, but it looks like the aesthetic changed to match the zero series

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

from what I've seen of it it's more that their aesthetic changed to match the PS1 X games, ie loving hideous

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Mega Man Live-Action Film Is Still Happening and 'Big News' Is Coming Soon. Yeah I'm sure, totally big news. :jerkbag:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
20XX with PS1 era aesthetics is just 20XX.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dabir posted:

from what I've seen of it it's more that their aesthetic changed to match the PS1 X games, ie loving hideous

Put up your dukes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

those games are are ugly as hell

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
But I don't want a live-action Megamens where they make a lovely joke about it being time to "Rock and Roll, sis!" to start a lovely, weightless CGI fight between Mega/Roll and Who Gives A gently caress, Man to prove to the fanbase that the writing staff glanced at the Wikipedia page and saw that some of the Japanese names were different. Be gone, Hollywood!!!

:negative:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Dabir posted:

those games are are ugly as hell

someone finally said what we were all thinking

Spelling Mitsake posted:

My hope is that with Battle Network turning 20 next year, the seemingly inevitable Battle Network Legacy Collection (because I really didn't expect a Zero one, nevermind ZX with it) will finally translate 4.5 for english speakers officially, and possibly Operate Shooting Star. Could they fit in the 3 Star Forces alongside the 6(6.5) Battle Networks and every version of them?

Also, gently caress Battle Chip Challenge. The classic MegaMan Legacy Collection omitted MegaMan and Bass because they knew it was poo poo.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 26, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it looks fairly good but I will never ever like the angled platforms. I don't think they look good or create an effective illusion of depth and they make platforming more ambiguous

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LemonLimeTime posted:

someone finally said what we were all thinking

My hope is that with Battle Network turning 20 next year, the seemingly inevitable Battle Network Legacy Collection (because I really didn't expect a Zero one, nevermind ZX with it) will finally translate 4.5 for english speakers officially, and possibly Operate Shooting Star. Could they fit in the 3 Star Forces alongside the 6(6.5) Battle Networks and every version of them?

Also, gently caress Battle Chip Challenge. The classic MegaMan Legacy Collection omitted MegaMan and Bass because they knew it was poo poo.

Battle Chip Challenge is not a good game, but it is a very chill game, and I will be sad when it inevitably gets omitted. :(

And Mega Man & Bass is fine and honestly one of my favorite classic series games as long as you play as Mega Man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d sort of like to see a port (or better yet, a full remake) of the two Japan only Battle Network mobile games. They look alright based on the footage I’ve seen so far.

Also has there been any further news on Gunvolt 3 (like a release date or something like that)? Or Shovel Knight Dig for that matter?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'm playing through Mega Man X3 for real for the first time and I misunderstood Dr. Light so now I'm stuck with the enhanced gun chip for the rest of the game. I guess I should've know an SNES game wouldn't let me swap the chips out willy nilly.

Also, I thought I had never played X3 before but I had a hazy memory of descending to fight Vile at the Volt Catfish stage. All this time I thought it was a dream I had/something I thought up about the original Mega Man X.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm playing through Mega Man X3 for real for the first time and I misunderstood Dr. Light so now I'm stuck with the enhanced gun chip for the rest of the game. I guess I should've know an SNES game wouldn't let me swap the chips out willy nilly.
Look up how to get the hidden gold armor, it has all the enhancements.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zeether posted:

The gold armor is cool but you get it so dang late in the game that I think it's better just to get the gun chip.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Also it’s really ugly

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a given with X3

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zeether posted:

Yeah, I saw that when looking up how the enhancements worked, but it implied since I've already picked up one enhancement I won't be able to get it.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

when I first played X3 I didn't know about the gold armor but I figured out some weird method of combining passwords for the super effect chips so that I could have more than one of them. I don't think I got one for all four but I ended up with some combination of three of them

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

That's a given with X3

X3 has the coolest armor outside of like, the blade armor. :colbert:

X6 though, now that's the actual worst armor, which is a shame because I like the idea behind it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The X8 armor looks pretty bad, though that's more because the style of the models isn't great and also doesn't really work with what the armor was going for. On a bulkier model I feel like it would be alright.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

The X8 armor looks pretty bad, though that's more because the style of the models isn't great and also doesn't really work with what the armor was going for. On a bulkier model I feel like it would be alright.

The fact that all the armors (including Ultimate) were visually just recolors of the same suit was kind of lame but I did like how you could mix and match parts for it at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon MFD got yet another update - this one adds a new final boss, among other things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjllsW2UdQg

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Whoops, for some reason I typed in X6 instead of X8 above. :negative: I love all of X6's armors, even if the Shadow isn't exactly my style.

But yeah, the X8 armor is the terrible one I meant. Like, I love the whole modular powerup idea but I really would've preferred each part to have a unique model (including the ultimate armor), or at the very least literally anything else other than what they picked as the design. Having an X game with true mix and match armor would own so hard.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

X4 looks fine, since it's mostly pixel art still (the water in Web Spider's stage is beautiful), it's X5 and X6 where they started going full-on crazy with pre-rendered crap.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Whelp, finally beat X3 and I got a secret achievement for beating it without the hyper chip, so I don't feel so bad about missing out on the gold armor. I wanna do another run at one point or another to try and get the different Doppler stage bosses.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/e-model-megaman-zero

and yes, Copy X has already beem teased.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it took me way too long to see if you can mute the voices in Gunvolt

the endless chatter wasn't too annoying until the final boss but hoo boy did it go from about a 5 to a 10 in short loving order

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hosed up that someone would deny themselves the true Gunvolt experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
News:

-MMZ/ZX Collection's remix BGM DLC is free at the moment, apparently

-Fully Charged comic preview: http://www.rockman-corner.com/2020/08/read-first-six-pages-of-mega-man-fully.html

-Mighty Gunvolt Burst/GalGunvolt Burst physical versions for Switch/PS4 go on sale at Limited Run Games from 10AM Friday - $30 for the standard version, $65 for all the crap seen below, both versions include all DLC pre-installed. (The name of the game is different for each system but the content's the same.)