Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Nidhg00670000 posted:

He didn't expound on it, so I don't know. v:shobon:v

Also, the new Seat Leon looks nice, but does anyone else see a Mazda 3 in it?

Not only does it look like a Mazda 3, it looks like an evolution of the best Mazda 3, the circa 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that could be differentiated from the base model only by the larger wing and the two creases on the hood that funneled air to the intercooler. We had one in Cosmic Blue Mica. What a great car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Residency Evil posted:

Can anyone with offroad experience say if this video is enough to say it's going to be Bad At Climbing Rocks?

Will my wife still be able to drive over the median to get in to Wegmans/Whole Foods? :ohdear:

One blog I was reading said that they thought it was really more on the driver being bad.

quote:

So how did the four-door Bronco do? Let's just say that it needs a better driver.

As seen on the videos uploaded, it was clear that the Bronco wasn't taking the right line in approaching one point of the challenging trail. The tires also look inflated well over the optimal pressure for this rock climb, which should affect traction in this type of situation. The rocks look too slick, as well, but that shouldn't be an excuse, we reckon.

https://www.motor1.com/news/437640/2021-ford-bronco-rubicon-trail/amp/

More Bronco pics: https://www.bronco6g.com/first-videos-of-2021-ford-bronco-on-rubicon-trail-more-pics/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I mentioned this to a friend the other day and he said that he thought he'd heard that whatever partnership that was supposed to make this was scuttled. I certainly hope not, it would be amazing.
I know the Murray designed Yamaha Sports Ride was cancelled due to a management change at Yamaha. But I haven't heard anything about the T.43. This Motor Trend article from a few days ago mentions it in the final paragraph.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/gordon-murray-t50-supercar-v12-dyno-video/

quote:

While the T.50 has been referred too as a "GMA T.50"—a name reflected in the Cosworth engine—Murray has also been talking about a less ambitious car known as the T.43 under the IGM brand. It's not clear if IGM will supersede GMA, or not. In any event, the car world should be a lot more exciting if both of these models make it to production.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah a big issue with that bronco rock vid is the driver and the fully inflated tires

Still very lovely to get recorded like that tho because that vid is gonna get used for every argument now

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That driver in a Wrangler would have had the same issue, the one thing the Bronco lacks in that context is the solid front axle for articulation and that wasn't the problem there; like the dudes behind the camera kept saying, those rocks are slippery and the driver was unprepared and didn't know how to pick a line.

For anything except crawling over giant rocks the IFS in the Bronco will be much better, especially for higher speed stuff.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Charles posted:

Ford doesn't have Mazda to design them a new mid-size platform anymore anyway

The current Fusion has absolutely no Mazda in it, though.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I missed it earlier in March but Bristol Cars has finally kicked the bucket. Normally I’d lament the loss of a manufacturer but I can’t believe they lasted as long as they did.

Their main product for years was the 603/Britannia/Blenheim, which sucked when it was new and has been basically unchanged since 1976 more or less. Also it was 200k for some reason.

https://imgur.com/gallery/sk8aeRd

That’s 2008 MY, btw.

Frond fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Frond posted:

I missed it earlier in March but Bristol Cars has finally kicked the bucket. Normally I’d lament the loss of a manufacturer but I can’t believe they lasted as long as they did.

Their main product for years was the 603/Britannia/Blenheim, which sucked when it was new and has been basically unchanged since 1976 more or less. Also it was 200k for some reason.

That’s 2008 MY, btw.

It looks like the automotive equivalent of jellied eels

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

i own every Bionicle posted:

It looks like the automotive equivalent of jellied eels

The Inside is even worse if you can believe it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Nissan gave a new Frontier to a guy who racked up a million miles on his 2007 model.

Two notable things about this picture.

-the name of the dealership

-the guy's brand new Frontier is literally the same as his 13 year old one.

(under the skin there's a new V6 and power windows feature).

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 6, 2020

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

smooth jazz posted:

Nissan gave a new Frontier to a guy who racked up a million miles on his 2007 model.

That's a local dealership over here, I see their cars everywhere and giggle every time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

smooth jazz posted:

The dealership name is amusing. But WTF how the hell is the same car being produced 13 ye........

Wait nevermind, I dont want to know

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Frond posted:

The Inside is even worse if you can believe it.

Found a good review: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2005/01/bristol-blenheim/

quote:

....This tragic tale of mechanical malfeasance was easily eclipsed by the horror lurking inside the Blenheim's cabin. To call the combination of wood, cheap rocker switches, tiny mirror controls, gigantic air conditioner, fiddly Japanese stereo and seemingly random assortment of switches, buttons and knobs "unattractive" would be like calling a drag racer "quick off the mark".

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The dealership name is amusing. But WTF how the hell is the same car being produced 13 ye........

Wait nevermind, I dont want to know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's a local dealership over here, I see their cars everywhere and giggle every time.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Also you weren’t allowed to buy one if the owner (Tony Crook) didn’t like you and they did not allow for press or test drives generally. He personally did all the testing so the performance figures he quoted were what the company ran with.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not here

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/carscoop/status/1291489976656572416?s=21

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/08/06/biden-gm-electric-corvette-vp-ad/3307216001/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Frond posted:

That’s 2008 MY, btw.

They seemed to be a car company that definitely didn't want to be a car company.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Can't wait for all of the obnoxious aftermarket add-ons to flood in for the Bronco.

CornHolio posted:

RIP FUSION

Rented a '17 Hybrid and a '18 Titanium. Both were nice inside and the Hybrid got a solid 40 mpg in mixed driving, but the engines sounded a touch too agricultural for my liking.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I've had my eye on a Fusion for a long time. I really wanted to love the one I tried out earlier this year, but I just... didn't. Everything was just slightly less good than I was hoping for. The displays were just slightly too small and too slow. The center console just slightly too wide. The roof just slightly too low. The plastic just slightly too cheap feeling. Nothing was bad about it, but nothing was really good either. Certainly not great.

Feels kind of sad to see cars go away like this.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've been looking to swap my Mazda3 for a larger car and on paper the Mondeo is the obvious choice, a three year old car is worth next to nothing and they look to be a good size externally.

Problem is when you actually sit in one it all falls apart, the roofline is way too low and because of the dash/console design I think there is actually less passenger space than the 3. The hatch also tapers down too much at the rear which makes things difficult when you have a child seat to consider and worse still they all have those stupid inflatable rear seatbelts that won't work with most child seats at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

90s Solo Cup posted:

Can't wait for all of the obnoxious aftermarket add-ons to flood in for the Bronco.

Rented a '17 Hybrid and a '18 Titanium. Both were nice inside and the Hybrid got a solid 40 mpg in mixed driving, but the engines sounded a touch too agricultural for my liking.

One of the downsides with mass market modern DI / turbo engines is they pretty much all sound lovely.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Fusion Sport was so loving lackluster

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Zero One posted:

RIP Fusion. I enjoy mine for what it is: a fully loaded 17 hybrid I got used with hardly any miles on it. I'm sure anyone wanting one will be able to get the same for years to come.

We got a similar fusion last year: '17 hybrid with sync 3 and upgraded interior, 10k miles on it. It is sooo much car for the money.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tricky Ed posted:

I've had my eye on a Fusion for a long time. I really wanted to love the one I tried out earlier this year, but I just... didn't. Everything was just slightly less good than I was hoping for. The displays were just slightly too small and too slow. The center console just slightly too wide. The roof just slightly too low. The plastic just slightly too cheap feeling. Nothing was bad about it, but nothing was really good either. Certainly not great.

Feels kind of sad to see cars go away like this.

It's an older car and it shows. I'll be returning my lease '17 Titanium next month. For me it was the perfect car at the time. The lease deals in metro Detroit are insane. I needed a car quick so I found the last '17 MY Titanium they had at the lot, gave them jack squat for a downpayment, and still walked out the door with a 260 dollar/month payment on a car with power everything, heated/cooled seats, LED headlights, a decent radio and nice power (245hp/275tq). Was worth it to me, especially when I walked in a Mazda dealer looking at 6's (not even loaded ones) and the guy just laughed me out of the store.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not only does it look like a Mazda 3, it looks like an evolution of the best Mazda 3, the circa 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 that could be differentiated from the base model only by the larger wing and the two creases on the hood that funneled air to the intercooler. We had one in Cosmic Blue Mica. What a great car.

And unique grill and wheels and slightly larger exhaust tip :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dear god help me. Wife and me walking into a dealership at 9 to finalize a deal on a 2017 Navigator.

Love everything about cars. But buying them sucks.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dear god help me. Wife and me walking into a dealership at 9 to finalize a deal on a 2017 Navigator.

Love everything about cars. But buying them sucks.

Carmax is heaven. I’ll pay $1000 more than the absolute best deal if I can walk in and out in 45 minutes with no bullshit. I reserved the vehicle and set up an appointment online. When I got to the facility, the paperwork was already lined up. Did a test drive and inspection, signed papers and left. Seriously it was less than an hour including a 20 minute test drive. I will never buy from a traditional dealership again.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sorry to see the Fusion go. I probably wouldn’t buy one, but it’s hell of a lot nicer than the Altima which seems to be the only other midsize sedan that rental companies stock.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO the newest Cadillac naming scheme is to have actual names but they all end in "-iq", sarting with the Lyriq.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wallaka posted:

Carmax is heaven. I’ll pay $1000 more than the absolute best deal if I can walk in and out in 45 minutes with no bullshit. I reserved the vehicle and set up an appointment online. When I got to the facility, the paperwork was already lined up. Did a test drive and inspection, signed papers and left. Seriously it was less than an hour including a 20 minute test drive. I will never buy from a traditional dealership again.

The second and third from last dealership experience we had were both at Mercedes dealers (for a used Lexus and then a Scion) and it went just like that, flawless and quick was there maybe an hour.

The last was at a Hyundai dealer (for another Scion) and it was horrible, never again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I traded in a 2010 GTI to carmax a few years back. Everything was pretty easy, and the offer they gave me was high enough that I didn’t want to deal with private buyers.

When we were looking for a car a month or two ago, lovely dealership experience seemed to be inversely proportionate to the price of the car, which was the same four years back when we bought our last new car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

SO the newest Cadillac naming scheme is to have actual names but they all end in "-iq", sarting with the Lyriq.
I think it applies to their EVs only but yeah. The next model will be called the Celestiq.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So how long until the Escaladeiq?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Esqalade.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think it applies to their EVs only but yeah. The next model will be called the Celestiq.

I'll bet good money that Mystiq is in the pipeline.

Stripper names are better than de Nysschen's alphanumeric system, I guess?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

That's to help out their buyers who don't have enough IQ.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smooth jazz posted:

I'll bet good money that Mystiq is in the pipeline.

Stripper names are better than de Nysschen's alphanumeric system, I guess?
Fantastiq will be the halo car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Fantastiq will be the halo car.

Dereliqt will be the poverty spec