Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Julias posted:

Yeah, I have a similar nostalgic feeling for 90s anime too. I found it was really noticeable comparing, say, the first few seasons of Pokemon up to mid-Johto, to Pokemon Advanced and Diamond and Pearl.

That's because Jessie's hair went from deep red to magenta, and she was in every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So is it possible, given what we see in the story, to play a game of Gungi for real? Are the rules defined enough at all?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So is it possible, given what we see in the story, to play a game of Gungi for real? Are the rules defined enough at all?

no because its all nonsense like "Ah HA she placed her ninja in the tower which negated my spearmen!"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Jerkface posted:

no because its all nonsense like "Ah HA she placed her ninja in the tower which negated my spearmen!"

Komugi used her Catapult Turtle to launch her Dragon Champion toward Meruem's castle thereby shattering its floatation ring and causing it to collapse on top of his monsters

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Not that anyone here ever expects this to return, but we're approaching the hiatus record!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I spent way too much time researching Gun-gi back in the day and there is some level of consistency to how pieces operate in the instances Togashi bothers to draw the board state properly. Since the game is already based on shogi and other board games the way pieces more or could be theorized to move can also be reverse engineered or observes. Of all the rule attempts I've seen this looks good and the pdf also cites which anime episodes they pull stuff from.

Nonexistence posted:

Not that anyone here ever expects this to return, but we're approaching the hiatus record!
:confuoot: This is the worst kind of record to achieve.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, if it were any other series I would just assume Gungi was just anime gibberish that didn’t really matter because the point was for Meruem to gradually come to grips with the idea that other beings’ existence has merit, but it’s Hunter x Hunter so I have no doubt that Togashi made a new board game based on the bastard son of shogi and chess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, if it were any other series I would just assume Gungi was just anime gibberish that didn’t really matter because the point was for Meruem to gradually come to grips with the idea that other beings’ existence has merit, but it’s Hunter x Hunter so I have no doubt that Togashi made a new board game based on the bastard son of shogi and chess.

togashi spent the whole hiatus playing gungi, dragon quest was always a coverup

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It finally happened. Yay?
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1291301426786959360

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

:confuoot:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

This just means a new chapter is just around the corner, right?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It doesn't even seem like that long ago that it went on hiatus again. What a crazy world we've been living in since then.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Absolutely amazing!

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
What's with hiatuses and boats? Berserk had a huge one for years since the author went to do something else and now hxh. Hell I remember a pathfinder session I was a part of getting indefinitely postponed while our characters are on the boat.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is there a scanlation of HxH with the redraws and a good translation?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Sorry to touch the dead thread, but where can I legally stream the Chimera Ant arc dubbed? My partner refuses to watch subs and Netflix/Hulu stop after Greed Island.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Sorry to touch the dead thread, but where can I legally stream the Chimera Ant arc dubbed? My partner refuses to watch subs and Netflix/Hulu stop after Greed Island.

afaik the only way is to pay $$ for the DVDs, or bribe the toonami robot to put on a hxh marathon again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Somberbrero posted:

IS crunchy roll sub only?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jerkface posted:

yep

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jerkface posted:

It actually isn't; it's sub to get new episodes a week early/no commericals/watch select shows, but as long as you're fine with commercials you can watch without a sub

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julias posted:

It actually isn't; it's sub to get new episodes a week early/no commericals/watch select shows, but as long as you're fine with commercials you can watch without a sub

subs vs dubs

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Tunicate posted:

SUBS x DUBS

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tunicate posted:

subs vs dubs

:doh: My reading comprehension is incredible. The best, even.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crunchyroll's Hunter x Hunter does not have both the properties of subs and dubs.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Blaze Dragon posted:

Crunchyroll's Hunter x Hunter does not have both the properties of subs and dubs.

:vince:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julias posted:

:doh: My reading comprehension is incredible. The best, even.

sounds like you should watch the dubs then

anyone know where to find them?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
easy to say that kind of stuff when your dad lived to 120 subsisting on nothing but punches and prayer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, nen masters have high longevity if they don't trade their lifespans for incredibly lovely powers.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Whole lotta people in the poll that voted for the arc that doesn't actually progress the plot or advance anyone's character. At least, no one that loving survives the arc. :colbert: I do agree it's a fine display of juggling, but it's just that. It's like the loving dancestor arc in Homestuck, it just introduces a metric fuckton of characters, spends way too much time talking about them (Like that one issue/episode where we get the backstory of this crime boss who is immediately eaten), then kills most of them.

Gon and Killua each have one advancement over the course of the entire arc, and it doesn't actually change anything about either of them. Gon has a new attack that can kill him if he uses it again (and I'm sure he brought it out at least twice more in the manga since then, but since the anime ended there it was just pointless), and Killua is just... still Killua, but less likely to run away, a thing he literally hadn't done before except when encountering Wing's hostile Nen?

Gon's Dad Form is kinda cool I guess, but really it should grow all the hair on his body and his finger and toenails as well. Just an absolutely bushy boy.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dareon posted:

Gon and Killua each have one advancement over the course of the entire arc, and it doesn't actually change anything about either of them. Gon has a new attack that can kill him if he uses it again (and I'm sure he brought it out at least twice more in the manga since then, but since the anime ended there it was just pointless)

Gon's not doing anything not shown in the anime already unless HxH finishes(I'll take "continues") it's current arc. Which isn't happening anytime soon.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chimera Ants is about monsters that become more human over time and humans becoming more monstrous to destroy them

Seems fine to me

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I like the elections arc best from actually dealing with fallout from a prior arc for once and using hisoka of all people as the audience frame of reference (and paying off the biggest load of the story with ging)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dareon posted:

Whole lotta people in the poll that voted for the arc that doesn't actually progress the plot or advance anyone's character. At least, no one that loving survives the arc. :colbert: I do agree it's a fine display of juggling, but it's just that. It's like the loving dancestor arc in Homestuck, it just introduces a metric fuckton of characters, spends way too much time talking about them (Like that one issue/episode where we get the backstory of this crime boss who is immediately eaten), then kills most of them.

Gon and Killua each have one advancement over the course of the entire arc, and it doesn't actually change anything about either of them. Gon has a new attack that can kill him if he uses it again (and I'm sure he brought it out at least twice more in the manga since then, but since the anime ended there it was just pointless), and Killua is just... still Killua, but less likely to run away, a thing he literally hadn't done before except when encountering Wing's hostile Nen?

Gon's Dad Form is kinda cool I guess, but really it should grow all the hair on his body and his finger and toenails as well. Just an absolutely bushy boy.

Gon-san isn’t a powerup like Kaioken or Gear X, it’s an even more insane version of Kurapika’s Emperor Time that works because he imposed a fate worse than death on himself as his condition. Also because he could probably have naturally become that strong given time; Enhancers are usually too dumb to capitalize on their skillset of “make thing better” in clever ways like Palm did but if nothing else they hit good.

Also I’d argue that Chimera Ant is the most important arc for Gon because it’s such an insane (but fairly legitimate in retrospect) downward spiral, to the point where by the palace invasion he has to be talked down from being complicit in the death of (and later murdering!) a blind girl by his formerly amoral assassin best friend.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gon more or less decides to kill himself during CA and it's totally believable. How is that not character development?

And CA is the arc where Killua grows the most, he stops relying on Gon entirely after the needle pull and during that awesome series of chapters where he's off on his own playing darts and making friends with the octopus. The whole idea at the end is that he'd grown so independent of Gon that he didnt recognize how turbofucked gon's situation was.

I'm actually at a bit of a loss how the takeaway from CA is that nobody's personality developed, it's what makes the entire thing work.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
i do not consider power up density a primary factor in my enjoyment of an arc lol

it's just wall to wall good fights, has a ton of characters I love, gons whole deal is wild and such a good resolution to his arc as the hosed up shonen protag

like yeah theres some exposition that is either for the sake of it or just contributes to the setting a little, but I too have read homestuck on top of a number of forever shonen, some particular bullshit not extremely paying off is whatever :shrug:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Truthfully Gon gets the ultimate power up during CA. Though I'm also partial to Shoot's ultimate technique of standing on his hand.

(I'm still struck by how Gon goes super saiyan during CA and it's the most tragic thing in the series, what an arc)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 10, 2020

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The part that struck me most in CA was this sequence:

Still get a chill down my spine imagining myself facing down that look

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Dareon posted:

lmfao this is certainly a take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I can buy those explanations, though my immediate reaction is "getting mad is not character development." Killua getting more independent, sure, I can see that, though it feels like that walks back the general thrust of the series for me, that we're supposed to be watching how these boys grow together and strengthen each other. Going from the dodgeball match and coordinated Bomber hunt at the end of GI to the general solo stagnation in CA felt like a step backwards. Although thinking about it seriously, the only way they could really get more in tune with each other from there would literally be the Fusion Dance. Maybe I'm too used to the infinite shonen progression where they've punched out gods and only ever gotten closer as nakama and the series is still going (Looking at you, One Piece).

It doesn't help that I'm thinking about CA after a long period of not reading or watching it (I think I saw the anime in like 2013? And hadn't read the manga for several years before that, I remember they'd just started their assault on the palace and I was reading it as the scanlations were released). When I did a rewatch last year I just stopped at the end of GI, because I remembered I hadn't liked the Chimera Ant arc. So bear in mind I'm coming at this half-remembered and from a less enlightened mindset, so this post is as much reflecting on an old opinion and seeing if it's worth changing as anything else.

Like, okay, I'm gonna kind of stop stringing the thoughts I have together, because my thoughts for "arc bad" are not so firmly connected, it's like a stew of things I didn't like. There were a lot of characters introduced on both sides whose primary role was jobbers, including the teleporter guy introduced as a huge badass, who jobbed to the spookiness of being in the same building as the King. The ultimate enemy wasn't defeated by any action of the main characters (Which is okay, they had their own personal antagonist in Pitou, but it still feels a bit like watching the DMPC beat up the big bad). A lot of it felt filler-y, including Netero's backstory, it was eventually just hype to let Cell (I honestly can't remember his name, but I too noticed the resemblance) go even further over. The King's sympathetic character arc felt at odds with the otherwise strong portrayal as an inhuman monster that needed to be removed before he could threaten the rest of the world. A lot of that last is on me, at the time I liked a lot of clear good guys punching clear bad guys (Still do somewhat, but I'm more inclined towards nuance than before), if you give a bad guy a redemptive story line, he should be standing with the heroes by the end, not dead.

Thinking about it, it's actually all pretty well done from a writing and technical stance, if not to the taste of younger me. Barring that entire episode dedicated to the crime boss that gets eaten. The action was all very good. I still think getting so mad you decide to kill yourself to beat one dude is stupidity, not character development. I mean, by a strict definition okay, but it's regressing, not progressing. Eh, falls are part of an arc too. Literally. :laugh:

Conclusion: Arc... not? bad. I'm not gonna go rewatch it immediately, but at least next time I feel like a rewatch, I'll include it.