Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

Speaking of latest sims. IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz just got a new expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4c1R7KvlO8

$60 and the usual IL-2 levels of unplayable broken at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
A flight sim expansion.......expensive??

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FS2020 gives you one Airbus airliner and one Boeing airliner and a dozen prop/acrobatic aircraft nobody gives a poo poo about OOTB so I wouldn't exactly say it obsoleted all the other sims out there at a stroke. Then again I'm not a flight simmer or anything but I was hoping for at least a 737 NG or something.

One or two prop aircraft to learn beginner flight sim stuff on is nice but we don't need ~ten of the bloody things.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wouldn't be surprised if they had done work on a 737 Max but then pulled it.

However I am sad they didn't include any small airliners like a CRJ.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just lol if you aren't going to be mainly low level flying in ga aircraft because the world is actually kind of alive

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gonna be honest here im gonna pay for the 787 while fully expecting that also to be sub payware quality

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i dont even know why people want to look out of the plane, all the info you need is right there on the 787's 4 touch screens

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sapozhnik posted:

FS2020 gives you one Airbus airliner and one Boeing airliner and a dozen prop/acrobatic aircraft nobody gives a poo poo about OOTB so I wouldn't exactly say it obsoleted all the other sims out there at a stroke. Then again I'm not a flight simmer or anything but I was hoping for at least a 737 NG or something.

One or two prop aircraft to learn beginner flight sim stuff on is nice but we don't need ~ten of the bloody things.

This misses the point about as hard as any post I have ever seen here. Aviation is a hell of a lot more than airliners.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i totally plan to go gently caress off and be a bush pilot

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Counterpoint: Yes we do.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

and not one of them is a piper, it's a freaking crime

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Hey at least the clouds look good so cruising at 30k feet for several hours will be slightly less boring than in a normal sim

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ethanol posted:

I totally count the XCub :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

The entire biggest selling point of this whole dang thing is VFR.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

plester1 posted:

i only count the pa28/pa32

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The only reason I flew airliners in Xplane is because everything looks like garbage even with Ortho when you're closer than 10000ft

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

sellouts posted:

it's 30 usd with codes and stackable up to 3 years if you haven't done it before

so 90 dollars for 36 months of a service. p good deal.

Anyone got a link for how to get this? Does it involve a bunch of sketchy VPN into Brazil, because that's all I'm seeing from a quick search.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Then again I'm not a flight simmer

let's maybe not speak for everyone then?

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Yesterday I tried one of the Bush Trips in FS2020. It's like a 9 hour VFR journey split into 20 legs of about 20-45 minutes each, and it gives you some text instructions and kind of a tour guide thing ("Follow the Butts River around the cliff to the northeast, and you'll see gold mining towns. Then follow the highway southwest to Methsburg"). You can't save your progress during a leg, and apparently there's an achievement if you do it all without using the GPS. I finished the first leg (about 45 min) and was all proud of myself, then went to land, braked too hard or something on the runway, fell over, crashed, and got punted unceremoniously back to the main menu with nothing to show for myself.

I sighed. The journey's the important part! Not (surviving at) the destination! Or something. Oh well. It'll be neat to do again in retail.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Anyone got a link for how to get this? Does it involve a bunch of sketchy VPN into Brazil, because that's all I'm seeing from a quick search.

I did not have to VPN anywhere, but I also did this about 2 weeks before MSFS2020 was announced to be on GamePass. Happy accident.

From what I've heard they're rumored to be getting rid of Xbox Live Gold and making multiplayer free with GamePass being their single paid subscription service. That would explain why codes are more expensive now.

I still think 60/year vs 120/year is a good savings. Just not insane like it was before.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Can anyone point me at a good link for maintenance of saitek joysticks? My x55 stick has some 'give' when centred that leaves it yawing left if you don't correct it constantly. That's fine in Elite but is really loving me in FS. (I don't think Elite has any incremental power to turns? but FS is all about that) I'm taking it apart now to re-set the spring and the stick contacts but would like to know how to do it properly...

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

plester1 posted:

It'd be nice if the constant speed propeller actually acted like one though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sagebrush posted:

You mean the new flight sim thread, right? Because once FS2020 is out, it and DCS will be the only games in town.

Yeah I don't see the need for a dedicated FS2020 thread, this one's not so busy that it can't handle it or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

MrYenko posted:

This misses the point about as hard as any post I have ever seen here. Aviation is a hell of a lot more than airliners.

yeah idk to me a modern airliner is a modern airliner. am i gonna fly the shiny white 200-passenger narrow-body twin-engine with pointy cockpit windows and a yoke, or the shiny white 200-passenger narrow-body twin-engine with square cockpit windows and a stick?? ooooo, exciting decisions!!!

the little GA planes are a lot more entertaining and have a lot more differences and quirks. and as noted, the game is designed for you to fly low and look at cool stuff on the ground, so obviously the default plane set caters more to that. Also, to be blunt, airliners (and particularly the modern ones full of electronics that the spergs seem to want) are super complicated and it isn't really reasonable to expect a bunch of those out of the box. I think PMDG is a racket but they do put a ton of work into their products.

that said I do wish they had put in a few more old designs. like an Ercoupe or a twin Beech or stuff like that. Or old airliners -- I'd much rather fly a 737-200 than an -800.

If this sells well I expect there'll be plenty of DLC though so maybe they'll have a pack with all the weird poo poo like a 337 or a Bleriot XI or a paramotor. I have heard some rumors that they're planning to add helicopters after release so

e:

ethanol posted:

qft. can't believe there isn't even a PA-28

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 6, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You can't even dick around in airliners, you zoom in a straight line. If you really care about the nuances between a 737 and a 747 then get xplane I guess. Prop planes are way more fun to learn.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Not even, just wait for PMDg to finish porting their planes over.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kavLImNPL_8

Some observations: LA and SF look good. Pancake ghost boats are a little weird. I understand not being able to model those boats but couldn't they replace the satellite photos with the game rendered water?

Vegas looks great except at night where the lights are not as crazy as the real Vegas lights.

New York looks amazing.

DC: :lol: I guess the Capitol, White House, and Washington Monument aren't big enough landmarks for someone to make a unique model?

I was really excited to see LA here but something seemed a little off and I couldn't figure it out. I was typing to something to my friend about how I'd soon be doing loops around Wilshire Grand and then it hit me...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
If that building was built in the last few years, it may not be in the database. Based on construction in my area, I noticed that the photogrammetry of San Francisco (at least in some parts) is about 5 years old.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Teeter posted:

I was really excited to see LA here but something seemed a little off and I couldn't figure it out. I was typing to something to my friend about how I'd soon be doing loops around Wilshire Grand and then it hit me...

Looks like that building isn't in Bing Maps

I guess Bing's data is older than that building.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Teeter posted:

:911: August 6th :911:
:911: Never Forget :911:

It seems real weird that they are happy to reproduce everybody's architecture, billboards, branding, etc in Bing / Google maps but not in FS2020. If "Well that's what's there" is a valid excuse for the mapping stuff, it seems like it should work here too. They're both for profit enterprises.

I want to navigate by the landmarks I know... like Walmarts, McDonalds and Canadian Tires.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bedurndurn posted:

It seems real weird that they are happy to reproduce everybody's architecture, billboards, branding, etc in Bing / Google maps but not in FS2020. If "Well that's what's there" is a valid excuse for the mapping stuff, it seems like it should work here too. They're both for profit enterprises.

I want to navigate by the landmarks I know... like Walmarts, McDonalds and Canadian Tires.
You'll see wallmarts and whatever in areas that Bing has photogrammetry/lidar 3d poo poo. The rest of the world is the result of AI generating 3d buildings from flat 2d aerial/satellite top down imagery and with some open street map data thrown in, which usually looks alright but it can also come up with weird poo poo like 200m tall trees instead of towers or weird doughnut shaped office blocks in place of stadiums.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

If Bing Maps has a photogrammetric model of the city, all your favorite brands will be there. They pull the textures directly from the aerial photography, so it can get a little distorted up close, but big signs and billboards are plenty readable.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

If Bing Maps has a photogrammetric model of the city, all your favorite brands will be there. They pull the textures directly from the aerial photography, so it can get a little distorted up close, but big signs and billboards are plenty readable.

Oh nice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sagebrush posted:

:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:
:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i read that post and was like "hell yeah I know exactly how to get to a canadian tire" and went and found it in 3 minutes by following roads from the airport. i'd have to think for a minute about where to find a wal-mart or a mcdonalds, but canadian tire, that's basically subconscious :canada:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lotta weird gravel piles in that parking lot

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird with big dick posted:

Canada's always been a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Those are Teslas.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

lol that they didn't ai some car models in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rust piles. Canadian Tire in Central and Eastern Canada. It is hyper realistic. :monocle:

MikeJF posted:

The entire biggest selling point of this whole dang thing is VFR.

Truth. The geography, urban areas and weather fidelity make this. The other improvements are the icing on the cake.