Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so surely you can't get away with silently not declaring a decision and then trying to argue later that you totally decided, in your head, that you made it a creature? Like folks are saying players would do that, but that seems like it's unequivocally cheating/wrong. You did nothing to indicate it's a creature at the moment you had to, then it's not a loving creature, end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

OK so surely you can't get away with silently not declaring a decision and then trying to argue later that you totally decided, in your head, that you made it a creature? Like folks are saying players would do that, but that seems like it's unequivocally cheating/wrong. You did nothing to indicate it's a creature at the moment you had to, then it's not a loving creature, end of story.

You're giving magic players way too much credit unfortunately.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What about referees, though? I've never played at an event but I'm imagining how this would play out when the ref was called over.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Leperflesh posted:

What about referees, though? I've never played at an event but I'm imagining how this would play out when the ref was called over.

The issue is going to be people activating the land pre combat, someone targeting it with removal, and the active player going "hey i just said I was activating it I never *said* i was making it a creature!"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, unless one indicated taking the choice you're assumed not to have done any may effects. So you're right, except that is about the point they just say they did point it out and it's now a he said she said, which, considering it's their permanent and it's more plausible you didn't hear than they are cheating, they'll probably win.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The issue is going to be people activating the land pre combat, someone targeting it with removal, and the active player going "hey i just said I was activating it I never *said* i was making it a creature!"

I see. I guess in that case I'd be on the side of the player who didn't announce they were choosing to do the thing, but also being strict about them not getting to later (or earlier) have recieved the benefit of the doubt about having chosen to do the thing without saying so explicitly.

e. Yeah I guess there's just always some room for cheating.

Maybe the game should have a special "is a creature now" marker you put on it so there's no question.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

In paper play you shorthand so much stuff because it just makes the game flow faster, this is just a lovely case where people will attempt to use that as a gotcha

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If it's at all relevant and they are not being clear just ask them before acting. And ask them occasionally when it's not relevant, just to bluff some interaction.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Probably 90% of the time you can just hold your removal until they declare it as an attacker

e: Current tournament rules say that animated lands have to be in the nonland part of the board layout, at least at high levels

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In tabletop wargaming I've seen cases where one player is just hyper and ripping through actions without explaining poo poo. The worst is rolling a big handful of dice and immediately grabbing all the ones that were high enough before I get a chance to verify that every die they're picking up was really high enough; especially since the "proper" way to do that is to pull the not-high-enough dice and then let me look and verify that all the remaining dice were high-enough, that kind of thing.

I tell my opponent to slow down so I can follow, excuse myself politely as a newb who just needs more help following the rules, and if that doesn't work after two or three times, it's time to just not play with that person any more. I know this game is time consuming but gently caress it, if your sense of urgency makes it impossible for me to tell if your'e cheating or not, then you're cheating.

I... may not be temperamentally cut out for tournament play

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

This one doesn't seem that complicated does it? They have to tell you they're activating it and you can naturally ask them if they are making it a creature right at that point if they try to mumble through it. You don't have to do anything unprompted.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Land that are creatures aren’t allowed to be with the land anymore as per the fix for dryad arbor. Because “take backs” are allowed at everything but pro rhel it’s basically up to whatever judge you are using at the time to decide.

If it’s a land that will see play people are going to game their weak opponents with it full stop. Magic players can’t help themselves.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

resistentialism posted:

This one doesn't seem that complicated does it? They have to tell you they're activating it and you can naturally ask them if they are making it a creature right at that point if they try to mumble through it. You don't have to do anything unprompted.

I guess the argument is, if you're asking, it's a hint you have a removal card you're itching to use, so they immediately decide that why no, they had no intention of making it a creature this turn.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya, but you can ask the question every time they do it, without it seeming unnaturally interested.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

resistentialism posted:

That requires you understand the card in full. Players are going to miss or forget the may part as it’s fairy unique for mainlands which in themselves are pretty common.

You argument applies to every gotcha in a card ever printed.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I remember one time I was playing in a regular store tourney on a saturday with like, 10 people, not even FNM level.

I attacked with my 3 1/1 flying spirit tokens, my opponent had woodfall primus and was tapped out. I went to play mirrorweave and they tried to block. Because I hadn't asked if they wanted to declare blockers when they couldn't possibly declare blockers.

We were friends.

This is tournament magic

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wezlar posted:

I remember one time I was playing in a regular store tourney on a saturday with like, 10 people, not even FNM level.

I attacked with my 3 1/1 flying spirit tokens, my opponent had woodfall primus and was tapped out. I went to play mirrorweave and they tried to block. Because I hadn't asked if they wanted to declare blockers when they couldn't possibly declare blockers.

We were friends.

This is tournament magic

Wait, what happened?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

fadam posted:

Wait, what happened?
Wezlar intended to cast mirrorweave after blockers were declared so his 1/1s would turn into 6/6s and hit for 18. The opponent was stating that the blocking phase had never been declared to have occurred and was trying to block one of the 6/6s.

My guess is that the opponent would be in the right after a judge call.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oh, gotcha. But wait, if his creatures are tapped why does it matter?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

fadam posted:

Oh, gotcha. But wait, if his creatures are tapped why does it matter?

Sorry I meant his mana was tapped so he had no possible responses.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Sorry I meant his mana was tapped so he had no possible responses.

It’s my fault, I’m bad at reading. That makes more sense though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought myself a single double masters booster tonight for fun. Cyclonic Rift and Vexing Shusher! Feel pretty good about it! I went back 2 hours later to buy another and the store was totally sold out of Double Masters. I watched two guys open two boxes a piece, each of them sort of made their money back.

I feel like I got a great return on my $16 investment but holy poo poo I couldn’t imagine opening a playset of Jace TMS and thinking “gently caress what am I supposed to do with these?”

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/46274/wizards-coast-says-acd-distribution-no-longer-option

quote:

WIZARDS OF THE COAST SAYS ACD DISTRIBUTION 'NO LONGER AN OPTION'

After a key ruling in litigation between ACD Distribution and Wizards of the Coast on Monday, WotC has moved to sever its relationship with the distributor, informing game retailers that ACD is "no longer an option" for their Magic: The Gathering: Zendikar Rising Prerelease allocations. Zendikar Rising is due for release September 25 (see “’Magic: The Gathering Zendikar Rising’ Product Line Revealed”), and retailers are being told that they have until August 14 to select a new distributor.

The ruling on Monday, issued by Judge James L Robart of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Seattle, removed a Temporary Restraining Order issued by a Wisconsin court on August 7, 2018, that restrained WotC from taking four actions: preventing ACD from attending its August 2018 distributor conference, refusing to fulfill ACD’s purchase orders, cancelling its dealership with ACD, or issuing any communication stating or implying that ACD was not an authorized dealer.

Wizards loving over their distributors owns

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't understand. As a company you need to keep doing business with another company, even if your contract is over?

Maybe I'll seek out some more commentary on this since it seems at least it's not something you can do in Wisconsin, so probably not as clear cut as it sounds.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Per random Google hit it's illegal not to renew a supplier contract in Wisconsin without cause.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

odiv posted:

I don't understand. As a company you need to keep doing business with another company, even if your contract is over?

Maybe I'll seek out some more commentary on this since it seems at least it's not something you can do in Wisconsin, so probably not as clear cut as it sounds.

Some states have some old laws that try to be a speed bump for late stage capitalism. Considering it kept them in business for 2 extra years it can't be all that bad. Looks like this was one of those moves WOTC made to go with amazon.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ACD's CEO is Bob Maher, they hosed up Dark Confidant again but this time they didn't even need to print new bad art.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And Wisconsin's an at-will employment state too, eh? So you can choose to not renew an employee's contract for no reason, but you'd better not try that poo poo with another company.

Edit: Oh drat, these shirts look pretty good:

https://twitter.com/OriginalOestrus/status/1291573620972630021

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 7, 2020

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

odiv posted:

And Wisconsin's an at-will employment state too, eh? So you can choose to not renew an employee's contract for no reason, but you'd better not try that poo poo with another company.

I know that’s the original auratog art, but drat if that doesn’t look like a weird bootleg toy where they just slap random images and logos together.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s just what every t-shirt in the 90’s looked like

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

only 90s kids will remember

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh I love those classic booster ones

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

odiv posted:

Some of those shirts are really loving good.

Pretty much all the PW text overlay ones look great.

- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516158/mens-magic-the-gathering-nicol-text-tee.jsp?prdPV=24
- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516140/mens-magic-the-gathering-garruk-text-tee.jsp?prdPV=66
- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516135/mens-magic-the-gathering-ajani-text-tee.jsp?prdPV=69

Nicky B of course has some of the coolest ones.

- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516178/mens-magic-the-gathering-nicol-bolas-street-inspired-retro-comic-tee.jsp?prdPV=40
- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516166/mens-magic-the-gathering-nicol-bolas-poster-tee.jsp?prdPV=49

There are few other standouts, though I'm surprised to see so much Ikoria merch.

- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516116/mens-magic-the-gathering-ajani-glass-stained-glass-tee.jsp?prdPV=34
- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4482117/mens-magic-the-gathering-hunted-nightmare-tee.jsp?prdPV=38
- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4516144/mens-magic-the-gathering-draft-poster-tee.jsp?prdPV=62
- https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-4482151/mens-magic-the-gathering-location-text-stack-tee.jsp?prdPV=84

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 7, 2020

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Ikoria Mythos ones highly tempt me, I had already ordered two prints of them from Seb's Kickstarter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Those are by Kohl's themselves? Might look for a UK/ European distributor for those Mythos shirts.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So uhh thoughtseize coming to historic with the ahk masterpieces....

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

also possibly Rest in Peace

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Koirhor posted:

So uhh thoughtseize coming to historic with the ahk masterpieces....

Gonna need a source on that so people can start speculating on force of will and daze being in historic too.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cactrot posted:

Gonna need a source on that so people can start speculating on force of will and daze being in historic too.

they apparently already ruled out almost all of the invocations you would expect to not make it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A Moose posted:

also possibly Rest in Peace

RIP