Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Episode was good. Feels very early Futurama to me, and I'm hoping it finds its voice, like how the Orville did.

I loved that they actually did an A-B story and had them come together in the end. I was expecting the episode to go more "The Fly" with the commander getting mutated from the transporter, but the rage virus was perfectly fine as a horror aspect for the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gotta wonder how often Starfleet officers have to ask "Did I eat flesh?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am a lot more optimistic about this first ep than I was with STD or Picard. The Rage Virus thing was whatever but the fact that the "A plot" was kind of the "B plot" was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see so yeah. I hope it finds its feet and is good and cool.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LinkesAuge posted:

How is it that Star Wars gets animated TV series which are often MORE mature in their politics and world building than even the movies while Star Trek of all properties gets a "PICKLE KIRKKKKKKK!" style animation series?

It's that animation style because it's by the same creator.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I got to be honest the constant barage of improv-esque non-jokes was not only not funny, but made me hate all the characters delivering it too. Not a fan of the first episode or the gamer webcomic artstyle in general, if the season keeps up like this I don't think i'll bother.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

It's that animation style because it's by the same creator.

It’s actually not though. Dan Harmon is not involved in the series. It was created by the TNG season 8 guy who was also a writer on R&M.

Splitting hairs, I know, but still.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mike McMahan was head writer for R&M for a while, but the actual animation is being done by Titmouse, and IMO it is a bit frustrating that it's so close to R&M, since Titmouse has a very solid resume, including Metalocalypse, Venture Brothers, and Superjail, among others.

OTOH I never watched past S1 of Rick & Morty so the actual art style isn't enough to distract me, and the animation itself is fine.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mike McMahan was head writer for R&M for a while, but the actual animation is being done by Titmouse, and IMO it is a bit frustrating that it's so close to R&M, since Titmouse has a very solid resume, including Metalocalypse, Venture Brothers, and Superjail, among others.

OTOH I never watched past S1 of Rick & Morty so the actual art style isn't enough to distract me, and the animation itself is fine.

Man, imagine if this had the animation style of Venture Brothers. They could totally nail either a TOS Jet-age style or a TNG-era 80s info-age style perfectly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That was much better than I feared but still not as good as I hoped. Random thoughts:

- Mariner was the source of most of the episode's energy and momentum, but I worry that it's overdone and her shtick will get old fast.
- That's one hell of a nice view from the junior officers', uh, hallway. Wonder if it'll turn out the window is faked up with a hologram.
- I like Tendi. "Are you kidding? I held a HEART!" :haw: But, do they not have holodecks on Orion?
- I hope Rutherford gets more interesting than "boring nerd". A glitchy cyborg implant is a one-off joke, not a character trait.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

and "here's a poo poo-ton of really obscure 'Cetacean Ops' style references

Oh I am absolutely expecting that reference to become a plot in a later episode where they have to deal with a smug dolphin that outranks them.

"gently caress it I'm out"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 6, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Powered Descent posted:

That was much better than I feared but still not as good as I hoped. Random thoughts:

- Mariner was the source of most of the episode's energy and momentum, but I worry that it's overdone and her shtick will get old fast.
- That's one hell of a nice view from the junior officers', uh, hallway. Wonder if it'll turn out the window is faked up with a hologram.
- I like Tendi. "Are you kidding? I held a HEART!" :haw: But, do they not have holodecks on Orion?
- I hope Rutherford gets more interesting than "boring nerd". A glitchy cyborg implant is a one-off joke, not a character trait.

Mariner = Lister
Boimler = Rimmer
Rutherford = Kryten
Tendi = another Kryten

The Bajoran security chief is my favourite character so far

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I watched it.

It was good.

I will be watching more of it.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Pretty weird watching a Star Trek that isn't a hellish depressing nightmare.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it was trying kinda hard and had no time to breathe but on the other hand for a 30 minute pilot of such a bizarre comedy concept they kinda had to pack it full of stuff.

I chuckled at some of the jokes.

The Cerritos saucer section is thicc.

Three full size decks baybee!

I forgot I had tea steeping while it was on which is fairly high praise.

It is such a relief to be back in the late 24th century without the fate of the world galaxy universe every possible universe in the balance

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 6, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

The Cerritos saucer section is thicc.

Three full size decks baybee!

It's only two decks high in the MSD, my immersion is ruined

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Show me an Okudagram that matches its on-screen ship 100% and I'll show you a god's honest miracle. Also I love the fact that the Cerritos looks like an absolute garbage tier also-ran TNG ship that would have been flaming wreckage in the aftermath of a battle the Enterprise/Defiant/Voyager arrived late to in any other "hero" series. It really sells how boned all these poor lower deckers are :allears:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If these guys are the lowest-tier grunts and they work in the bottom of the saucer, I feel really bad for whoever's stuck in the bit between the warp nacelles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't imagine the show won't explore that at some point. "You think we have it bad?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Can't imagine the show won't explore that at some point. "You think we have it bad?"

Working near the warp core OR the main deflector probably fucks you up in various ways. God help you if you have to work between the warp core AND the main deflector :zombie:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Well, that was actually very surprisingly enjoyable. I should try lowering my expectations more often.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

drat if the Ensigns sleep in open hallway berths what do the junior enlisted crewmen have for accommodations?

My 7 year old liked it and insisted on watching it a second time in a row.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, finally watched it.

I really enjoyed it, though definitely agree about being a touch bothered by characters acting like cartoons instead of people, like in the bar when Eugene Cordero and his date decide to keep casually chatting while their fellow crew members are turning into monsters in the middle of a chaotic outbreak. I mean of course they are cartoons, I get it, but it definitely feels like it breaks the reality a bit. Still, a minor complaint on the whole.

Overall I thought it was a real fun time and I care far more about having an enjoyable fun show than whether it fits in with the other shows.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Haven't watched Lower Decks yet. Can someone tell me if they use Majel Barrett's voice for the computer? My expectations are so low, this is literally all I want out of any new series.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Watching it a second time -- can I just say how much I LOVE the opening theme?

Bucswabe posted:

Haven't watched Lower Decks yet. Can someone tell me if they use Majel Barrett's voice for the computer? My expectations are so low, this is literally all I want out of any new series.

So far the computer has said "Banana, hot" and I doubt they had an occasion to have her say those words before she died in '08 :[

e: OK I absolutely can NOT wait to see the toony representations of the other species. I've got a good feeling about Lower Deck style Ferengi :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 7, 2020

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

It was alright, not great but what star trek show started out great? Even futurama season 1 was kinda rough.

It was also better than STD and Picard. I know that's a low bar to get over but that's the honest state of trek in 2020.

G-III fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 7, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only caught a few seconds of the preview for the rest of the season, but it looks like the Klingons are the pre-Disco design, so I'd imagine nobody's going to get too visually changed. But Ferengi in this show have a ton of potential for sure.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If these guys are the lowest-tier grunts and they work in the bottom of the saucer, I feel really bad for whoever's stuck in the bit between the warp nacelles.
I thought that was the battle bridge though?

G-III posted:

It was also better than STD and Picard.
Yeah it very quickly cemented that position for me... which means I'll probably keep watching it. I just hope the drunk/hyperactive character calms the gently caress down.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

On a second watch-through, the art isn't really even that identical to Rick & Morty. It definitely has its own style to it, and I like it.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Martytoof posted:

So far the computer has said "Banana, hot" and I doubt they had an occasion to have her say those words before she died in '08 :[

This is probably the dorkiest factoid in my brain, but my understanding was that the people of Star Trek recorded Majel's voice making every phonetic sound so that, in theory, she could continue to be the computer voice forever.

But this so far has not been the case...

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It looks more like Final Space than R&M to me, also that was legit funny I'm surprised.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The big thing that trailers for comedy series always screw up is that they're a strong of punchlines without the setup

A lot of the trailer jokes that were in this episode were pretty drat good in the proper context.

I'm kind of surprised the whole idea of second contact hasn't been used that much in ST.

Heck there's probably scenarios where a flagship like the Enterprise would've been the appropriate second contact ship.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I didn’t find it absolutely hysterical, but it was pleasant and amusing and well constructed. I liked it.

Best laugh was “banana, hot”.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It also has the best opening credits theme of any of the Nu Trek shows.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 7, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I didn’t find it absolutely hysterical, but it was pleasant and amusing and well constructed. I liked it.

Best laugh was “banana, hot”.

Yeah I lol'ed at that. Also the cat lady doctor has a great voice actor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It also has the best opening credits theme of any of the Nu Trek shows.

I kinda love that it's very much a classic ST opening with a few sight gags. It's quite pitch perfect.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will never not guffaw at the Cerritos just NOPEing out of that Borg battle in the credits :lmao:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Oh shiiiit.... where's deuterium tankage???

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I will never not guffaw at the Cerritos just NOPEing out of that Borg battle in the credits :lmao:

But I love how they still go for the Heroic Warping-Out Camera Angle ala

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh shiiiit.... where's deuterium tankage???

Lower aft saucer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how when they showed off the MSD on twitter most of the replies were "WHERE'S THE GIANT DUCK?! :byodood:"

Treknology nerds know what really matters.