Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

don't worry anidav, i appreciated the ironic detachment of your posts, they were funny to me

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s okay, some of his best wives are Asian?
lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With the Melbourne CBD streets almost empty, have we considered allowing just one skateboarder free reign just to go wild all over the joint.

Now just hear me out I believe this is a good plan that will have me positive benefits, due to it being awesome and all.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

starkebn posted:

They're good articles mate, keep them coming

This one actually started after seeing a few friends post about "human trafficking awareness", which smelled fishy, and sure enough the person they shared it from was a spiritual healer in Queensland who had fallen head first down the Qanon rabbit hole in April. And we know that Cambridge Analytica have operated here. It's long but important and hopefully worth it:

https://medium.com/@daniel.ed.morri...gn-c3e5b89dd734

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/daniel-andrews-cleverly-leads-in-a-vacuum-of-democracy/news-story/075dce1f0b2dda2c693077e92e3ac467?fbclid=IwAR2638k6TMusOu_MTF-gWmTfo-o1GsLaZkWHC8Thj66jwMJUrrNeQ3Kb0dw posted:

Daniel Andrews’ leadership is superficial and a failure

“I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer and feel fouler” – Frodo Baggins in Lord of the Rings, on first meeting Strider, later revealed as the good king, Aragorn.

COVID-19 has accelerated the dominance of a type of political leader uniquely evolved to look the part, but who delivers consistently terrible results – in Frodo Baggins’s terms, who looks fair but delivers foul.

In Australia, the pre-eminent case is Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, whose purely political skills are unmatched among premiers, but whose government has delivered continuously shocking results in the pandemic, and generally. This is not to question Andrews’s motives or work ethic. He is plainly doing his best. But he and his political culture have failed.

The two great international examples of this particular complex of failures – ideologically progressive politicians with supreme presentational skills but hopeless at actual government – are New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, and Scotland’s First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon.

New York and New Jersey are the worst-performing states in the US regarding COVID, just as Victoria is the worst-performing state in Australia. New York has had just fewer than 33,000 deaths with a death rate per million of almost 1700, more than twice Britain’s. A large part is directly attributable to Cuomo’s decisions, especially insisting aged-care facilities take people without testing for COVID. There were many other mistakes. Cuomo was slow to act, slow to build his state’s medical capacity.

Where he shone, once the crisis got going, was in his daily briefings. Often making grand moral statements – “we all got this wrong” – he never actually took political responsibility for anything. He used woke language, spoke with warmth, compassion and seeming directness. His performances were full of that art which conceals an art. The generally progressive US media, always more interested in the theatrical, performative aspect of politics than the substance of government, lavished praise on him. Cuomo became nationally popular even though he presided over spectacularly bad policies. Beyond COVID, he has done a terrible job, with, for example, New York’s murder rate skyrocketing.

The worst element in the whole UK COVID crisis has been the outbreaks in aged-care homes. Scotland has done worse on this than the rest of the UK. Sturgeon was slow to react to the pandemic, slow to acquire PPE. But she held almost daily press briefings and spoke earnestly. She rejoiced, she admitted, that focusing on COVID freed her from party politics. This sort of leader always wants to pitch themselves above politics, to make the normal business of politics illegitimate. Sturgeon, the most left-wing national party leader in Britain, has soared in the polls while many Brits are highly critical of Boris Johnson’s management of COVID. Beyond the virus, she runs an appallingly incompetent administration.

Andrews fits the Cuomo/Sturgeon paradigm of the woke, earnest, ideologically perfect left liberal leader who cannot make the trains run, much less run on time, but who gains the plaudits of the dominant PC parts of the media, who projects a reassuring image while avoiding real scrutiny. Victoria has this crisis because of his government’s staggering incompetence. At the same time Andrews has avoided effective scrutiny and accountability by more or less abolishing democracy in Victoria.

The list of failures by the government includes (but is not exhausted by): catastrophic failure to manage quarantine hotels; an anaemic, poor contact tracing until this latest crisis; resisting federal help when the Victorian arms of the bureaucracy plainly couldn’t do the job; not issuing any fines at the Black Lives Matter demonstration, thus tacitly endorsing a huge event that broke social distancing restrictions and undermined the message; not naming Cedar Meats and thus not getting all its casual contacts to test; and even today, an opaque, slow approach to releasing data that would allow proper scrutiny of the government’s performance.

Further, under Andrews, all the mechanisms of democratic accountability have virtually disappeared. Labor has been in office in Melbourne for 18 of the past 21 years. It has permeated the bureaucracy and state agencies with ideological fellow travellers and political mates. It is the most ideologically left government in Australia; from Safe Schools to refusing to allow any gas exploration (recently, and belatedly, reversed) to refusing to say it respected the High Court decision to acquit Cardinal George Pell. It is great at discerning the oppression of the hetero-normative, patriarchal, global warming social order. It is not so good at running schools.

Victoria has become a dysfunctional one-party state with a mostly compliant local media. Certainly the Andrews government and the ABC share a world view. In this context, democratic accountability and the contestability of all policy are critical ingredients to competent government. Obeying the law can never be contested. Arguing about what the law should be is always legitimate.

But Andrews has connived in the virtual abolition of the mechanisms of democracy in Victoria. He contrived federal intervention into the Victorian ALP so it cannot function as a political party until 2023. He is thus free even of the shackles of his own party. His insistence that parliament should not sit is unambiguously a disgrace. The Chief Health Officer recommended against parliament sitting but that is because the government did not define it as an essential function. If you can rig up a commercial abattoir to operate safely, surely you can do the same for the state parliament. There has never been a more arrogant episode of disdain for normal democracy than the Victorian Health Minister’s decision not to answer any questions on the virus this week in the Legislative Council, sitting only because the Coalition and crossbenchers insisted.

Andrews has constantly used the inquiry headed by a former judge to avoid answering a single question on the quarantine hotels disaster. Yet that ex-judge pointed out on Wednesday her inquiry is not a court of law and there is no bar to anybody talking about the matters to come before it. Now this inquiry is delayed so Andrews can treat voters with complete contempt on the hotels. What right do we have to know anything?

Parliamentary and institutional democracy is not a bourgeois self-indulgence. It is essential to good government. It’s missing in Victoria. As a result, Andrews presents well but delivers uniformly terrible government.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Love reading something that makes me wonder if my brain is melting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm glad he got in a reference to child rapist Cardinal George Pell.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is that Henderson

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm glad he got in a reference to child rapist Cardinal George Pell.

Really cemented my opinion of the gormless fuckstain who wrote the article.

"Dandrews ignored the acquittal of an amoral monster who turned a blind eye to the rape of countless children for over half a century, therefore Dandrews is akin to a servant of ultimate evil."

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Is that Henderson

Greg Sheridan.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What happened to my glorious thread title? :colbert:

This is a violation of my UN human rights.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is there something to the idea that the High Court acquitted Pell because he's a powerful elite and they just don't go to prison in this country? (The high court being powerful elites too, they probably go to the same parties as our George)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is there something to the idea that the High Court acquitted Pell because he's a powerful elite and they just don't go to prison in this country? (The high court being powerful elites too, they probably go to the same parties as our George)

are you suggesting that high court judges aren't perfect impartial decision making machines and may in fact be influenced by the wealth and power of those who appear before them, even to the point of letting it decide who appears before them in the first place?

or are you suggesting that our legal system is set up to favor positive outcomes for the kind of person who can get character references from former prime-ministers over justice for the victims of crime?

because buddy, you are extremely correct.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

welp, newcastle is now officially a covid zone. one guy was a construction worker from sydney who stayed in newy for one night and went to three pubs :australia:. the other was a kid who managed to pick it up in sydney through the very essential activity of inter-city football, his school has been shut down for cleaning, i think he also managed to spread it to a few pubs somehow. or that might have been employees from the first lot of pubs. anyway there's like seven pubs on the warning list now. with the pubs gone, all that will be left of newcastle's economy is mining and... aged care, gently caress

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

one of the infected places is new lambton wests, which combines pubs and aged care

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Wonder if these guys are going to be on the front page of the paper?

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/news/2020/08/04/three-men-to-face-court-for-border-breach/

Ohhh what a shock.. they weren't.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

Ohhh what a shock.. they weren't.
Neither was the two 60 year olds that got caught doing the same thing *pikachu shocked face*

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sure there's a perfectly cromulent reason those people all don't have their faces flashed on the front of papers labelling them "enemies of the state" that has nothing at all to do with our country's deep seated racism

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fauna posted:

welp, newcastle is now officially a covid zone. one guy was a construction worker from sydney who stayed in newy for one night and went to three pubs :australia:. the other was a kid who managed to pick it up in sydney through the very essential activity of inter-city football, his school has been shut down for cleaning, i think he also managed to spread it to a few pubs somehow. or that might have been employees from the first lot of pubs. anyway there's like seven pubs on the warning list now. with the pubs gone, all that will be left of newcastle's economy is mining and... aged care, gently caress

I'm sure the skinheads will figure something out to keep their town afloat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Newcastle's thriving artist colonies and cafe culture will save the day!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

fauna posted:

really cool to see that sport is somehow a really essential activity despite it being an increased risk of Covid. Nice.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

really cool to see that sport is somehow a really essential activity despite it being an increased risk of Covid. Nice.

Sports and drinking are the two essential components of Are Culture

E: sports and drinking and Phantom comic reprints

e: and punting. can't forget punting. alicencetopunt.gif

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 6, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Recoome posted:

keeping sports going is one thing... it's even more stupid that they still had (still have!) teams travelling from uninfected areas to covid hotspots to compete against possibly-infected players, then going back home again and taking their germs with them. surely putting a pause on that wouldn't have damaged anyone's quality of life.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They should have a dusty Colosseum type setup out in the middle of the desert and keep all the players nearby like gladiators.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

They should have a dusty Colosseum type setup out in the middle of the desert and keep all the players nearby like gladiators.

The last thing Canberra needs is a new city vying to be the capital.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Fight Island

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1289241882388652032

onward, covid soldiers, marching off to school, with the cough from scotty

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Sulla Faex posted:

https://twitter.com/amymaxmen/status/1289241882388652032

onward, covid soldiers, marching off to school, with the cough from scotty

but it's very important for the kids to go to school or CelestialScribe will be inconvenienced

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Interesting and sad that when Sutton says that they have found no examples of the first wave of the virus when genetically testing he is basically implying that all this can be traced back to the hotels and we essentially had the virus beat back in March/April.

Colossal gently caress up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Illuminti posted:

Interesting and sad that when Sutton says that they have found no examples of the first wave of the virus when genetically testing he is basically implying that all this can be traced back to the hotels and we essentially had the virus beat back in March/April.

Yes. Although on the other hand, it could have happened at any time, and would have been way worse if it leaked out further down the track when we might have had more people in pubs, 30,000 at the MCG etc.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

was the hotel breach really caused by a security guard rooting a quarantee, or is that just a rumour?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Illuminti posted:

It can all basically be boiled down to "don't privatise your important functions with casualised workers" but watch it become Labah's Fault

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Should be blamed on loving Serco.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Should be blamed on loving Serco.

Actually should be blamed on Serco loving

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

Actually should be blamed on Serco loving

all the times i said gently caress serco this isnt what i wanted

im so sorry

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

fauna posted:

was the hotel breach really caused by a security guard rooting a quarantee, or is that just a rumour?

minimum wage casual workers without ppe or training are the vector either way.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

fauna posted:

That seems like it definitely happened, but while it grabs the headlines because it's lurid, it was just part of a whole series of protocol breaches like improper disposal of used gloves, being absent from their post, letting detainees outside to smoke etc. All of which is obviously caused by hiring security guards with basically no training. It'll all come out in the inquest.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's cool that it's Labor's fault that the Liberals are too dogshit to take power

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

freebooter posted:

That seems like it definitely happened, but while it grabs the headlines because it's lurid, it was just part of a whole series of protocol breaches like improper disposal of used gloves, being absent from their post, letting detainees outside to smoke etc. All of which is obviously caused by hiring security guards with basically no training. It'll all come out in the inquest.

I'm not sure how much training it requires to think that maybe leaving your post or letting people out for a smoke (when they're ostensibly locked down in quarantine) is not a good thing to do but I guess Serco was just hiring the absolute cheapest and least competent people they could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
From what I understand, Serco got the huge $$$ contract then subcontracted it out for pennies on the dollar to whatever fly-by-night security companies they could.

Of course, all the money Serco was given specifically for PPE and training was not passed on.