Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I didn’t hate it, but it’s trying waaaaaaay too hard to be Futurama with Rick & Morty humor and the whole show looks like rear end aside from some of the cg ship elements.

The only positive things I can say are the theme is solid and they gave Phil Lamarr a quick paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Lower aft saucer

teeny tiny gas tank

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the visual style was perfectly fine if not great

I've never watched Rick and Morty and I think it damaged some of y'all's brains

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda wish they kept the crazy space adventure was in the background and not had the characters be central to it. That kinda defeats the purpose.

I like Cat Doctor being all grumpy, and super aggressive Bajorian security chief.

Like its fine, not the best thing I've seen. Though I didn't expect much, it's not say The Venture Bros or Harley Quinn.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

It's only two decks high in the MSD, my immersion is ruined

I see they went with the boring but logical method of having the turbolift shaft go down one of the pylons to the warp drive outhouse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

I see they went with the boring but logical method of having the turbolift shaft go down one of the pylons to the warp drive outhouse.

God, how loving terrifying would it be, your first time on that turbolift when it gets to the warp pylon junction and the whole thing suddenly lurches 45 degrees to make the descent down to the nacelle? Especially at turbolift speeds, when you're not ready for it? :stonk:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

God, how loving terrifying would it be, your first time on that turbolift when it gets to the warp pylon junction and the whole thing suddenly lurches 45 degrees to make the descent down to the nacelle? Especially at turbolift speeds, when you're not ready for it? :stonk:

Is there an explanation anywhere in trek as to why everyone uses turbolifts instead of just teleporting everywhere? Is it just so you don't have a crew full of mobility scooter sized fatsos replicating chocolate cake as their primary diet and being lazy as all gently caress?

"Computer, replicate me some fat lines of andorian cocaine. I need to get hyped for my 3 hour orgy on the holodeck"

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2020

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Lower Decks premiere -- The animation isn't exactly great, but the humour pretty much all landed for me. I'm real excited to see if it can STAY funny though

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

G-III posted:

Is there an explanation anywhere in trek as to why everyone uses turbolifts instead of just teleporting everywhere?...

The transporters use a poo poo ton of power and are honestly not that reliable. You don't want an ion storm making a 5 minute trip from the bridge to engineering into three hours of crawling through the bowls of the ship.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

G-III posted:

Is there an explanation anywhere in trek as to why everyone uses turbolifts instead of just teleporting everywhere?

"Remember Admiral Ciana and Commander Sonak? V'Ger Incident of 2273? Poor SOBs melted and turned inside-out in the annular confinement beam, and Earth Spacedock got two char-broiled corpses out of their transporter patterns? Yeah, that's why we don't use site-to-site transporters."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snorb posted:

"Remember Admiral Ciana and Commander Sonak? V'Ger Incident of 2273? Poor SOBs melted and turned inside-out in the annular confinement beam, and Earth Spacedock got two char-broiled corpses out of their transporter patterns? Yeah, that's why we don't use site-to-site transporters."

"Enterprise... What we got back didn't live long... fortunately."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I felt was REALLY out of place was the episode making the officers going out of their way to show how much they don't care about the lower decks.

The captain saying in her log that it was SOLELY the work of the doctor.

Like of course we don't see much of the lower decks in the other series, that's kinda the point, but whenever those people did something good they would at least get honest praise and be given more serious assignments to see if they were promotion material.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed it, though definitely agree about being a touch bothered by characters acting like cartoons instead of people, like in the bar when Eugene Cordero and his date decide to keep casually chatting while their fellow crew members are turning into monsters in the middle of a chaotic outbreak. I mean of course they are cartoons, I get it, but it definitely feels like it breaks the reality a bit. Still, a minor complaint on the whole.
Ugh, you just gave me a Hyperdrive flashback (main characters obliviously carry on a conversation while crew members are gibbed by a monster right behind them). And it didn't even have the excuse of being a cartoon. God, what a waste of talent and potential that show was.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I haven't watched it, but hearing cautious optimism from most of you gives me hope. Just the fact that it is Trek that isn't all in on body horror and violence is a massive plus.
This is only available on all access in the US, correct?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
It kind of reminds me of Rick and Morty, to an extent. This is not a very new trope and it certainly wasn't invented by Rick and Morty.

Obviously skilled older person takes on mentorship role of younger, dumber/inexperienced person. Older and more skilled person works outside of the system and comes off like a fuckup but is ultimately skilled and good at things. That's a bit of a zoom-out since Rick uses morty as a shield but...

(This could easily be applied to Dr. Cox/J.D from Scrubs).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Peachfart posted:

Just the fact that it is Trek that isn't all in on body horror and violence is a massive plus.

I’ve got some bad news

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Martytoof posted:

I will never not guffaw at the Cerritos just NOPEing out of that Borg battle in the credits :lmao:
I'm basically going to rate every episode on how many times the episode makes me laugh harder than the opening credits. The pilot scored a 1.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arglebargle III posted:

such a bizarre comedy concept

What do you mean? :confused:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This was a Star Trek episode that had a well structured story with a moral lesson, well defined characters, and a good musical score. How long has it been since the last one of those and why are people complaining?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alchenar posted:

This was a Star Trek episode that had a well structured story with a moral lesson, well defined characters, and a good musical score. How long has it been since the last one of those and why are people complaining?
Just because you have the foundations for a good show doesn't mean the dialog writers know how to execute on it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Disclaimer: I liked Final Space.

I feel like LDS wasn’t sure if it wanted to be a parody of Trek, satire of Trek cliches, or just a Trek themed Loony Toons. Somebody else said it was too cartoon-logic and cartoon-cliche. Like a dude just being vaguely annoyed that his cybernetic implant is actively rewiring his brain. I feel like the writers were a little too eager to establish their Trek lore cred.

I love the idea of a dichotomy between the senior management on the bridge, and the actual worker bees. I love the idea of seeing what “being in Starfleet” means to different people.

The theme song is the sort of song you’d hear in another show doing a Trek sequence. I tried too much to sound almost, but not quite, specifically like the previous Trek openings, to the point of being distracting.

Hopefully it calms down and finds its voice.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I at least have a way better idea of who these characters are then after a like entire season of Discovery.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Because I can’t just be happy and have to find things to complain about:

On first watch what weirded me out was that even though this is supposed to be a cartoon and not necessarily representative of reality, it felt offputting how the senior crew were basically just giant dicks to their crew and I kind of hope they tone that down and refine it to a point in subsequent episodes.

Honestly, I don’t think I dislike it because they’re awful people, but more because that joke will get old really quickly and there’s only so many things you can do before it’s really really played out. Seinfeld and Always Sunny make legacies of shows about awful people but they’re also the focus and we’re invested in them to a degree. If this show isn’t about the senior crew then this is just going to be “spunky young upstarts vs douchebags” which is fine if it’s 1984 and you’re writing Revenge of the Nerds but ehh..

At best I hope they water down the dickishness and bring it down to general indifference.

E: I think what really prompted this was Ransom going all “Why aren’t you at your station ENSIGN :mad:” at Boimler — Because you just loving called him and he literally just stepped off the turbo lift you loving Pakled, what do you think?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 7, 2020

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Martytoof posted:

this is supposed to be a cartoon and not necessarily representative of reality, it felt offputting how the senior crew were basically just giant dicks to their crew and I kind of hope they tone that down and refine it to a point in subsequent episodes.

Senior officers treating ensigns and crew like dirt is the most realistic element of naval tradition in this or any other Trek series.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry I guess I meant "canon reality" :q:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Martytoof posted:

not necessarily representative of reality,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

E: I think what really prompted this was Ransom going all “Why aren’t you at your station ENSIGN :mad:” at Boimler — Because you just loving called him and he literally just stepped off the turbo lift you loving Pakled, what do you think?

holy poo poo spacism out of nowhere

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

He didn't call him. The Captain did. All Ransom knew is that some unaccompanied ensign walked onto the bridge and was looking around. Questioning him about it was probably the right thing to do?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

holy poo poo spacism out of nowhere

There is actually a legitimate explanation for this, but the fact that the Trek Timelines mobile game won't let you use the word "pakled" in your name cracked me up when I first noticed it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Epicurius posted:

He didn't call him. The Captain did. All Ransom knew is that some unaccompanied ensign walked onto the bridge and was looking around. Questioning him about it was probably the right thing to do?

Ahh, I’ve been foiled by my own over analyzing of a cartoon :[

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Star Trek."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't seen nearly as much Star Trek as a lot of you (only DS9, Discovery, and Picard), but I liked Lower Decks a lot! It's so much better than I thought it'd be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Light posted:

Senior officers treating ensigns and crew like dirt is the most realistic element of naval tradition in this or any other Trek series.

They should have introduced a new redshirt character every episode who inevitably dies in some gruesome fashion but I guess South Park drove the "You killed Kenny!" gag into the ground so hard no one can ever touch it again

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Lower Decks is the only new Star Trek that I can see giving an honest to god actual good episode. The first episode has all the baggage of introducing everything and felt rushed and awkward, but all the bits are there for this to be an actual Star Trek. I am looking forward to seeing if they pull it off or not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn’t hate it, but it’s trying waaaaaaay too hard to be Futurama with Rick & Morty humor and the whole show looks like rear end aside from some of the cg ship elements.

The only positive things I can say are the theme is solid and they gave Phil Lamarr a quick paycheck.

:same:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It feels good to... feel good :ohdear:

How will my optimism be crushed this time?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

It feels good to... feel good :ohdear:

How will my optimism be crushed this time?

Deadline: Following Positive Fan Reactions, Alex Kurtzman Takes Over as Showrunner for Lower Decks

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Martytoof posted:

I will never not guffaw at the Cerritos just NOPEing out of that Borg battle in the credits :lmao:

finally a trek i can relate to

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Maybe it's been explained in the prior 240 pages of this thread, but I'm confused by the Orion character on Lower Decks. She doesn't seem to have any of the drive-everyone-crazy Orion lady pheremones. Are the Orions able to turn those off? Was she born without them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They (wisely imo) decided not to lean into the 'pulp sci-fi space succubus' element of the race I guess?