Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah i remember a lot of old time quick tags and corner work. and then the babby either escapes or they just stop for no reason. should've just kept on doin' it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Critical posted:

This was an actual tag team tactic during the golden era, Monsoon always called it "tag-team continuity" if it was The Rockers doing it and "cheating" if it was the heels

The Rockers used to double team for eons while the ref had his thumb up his rear end and it drove child me nuts. Even though it always led to Jesse calling Gorilla's son an idiot to Gorilla's face

See, that crossed my mind, but I felt like the Rockers were always playing defense when they did it. They had to work together to be able to knock down the Barbarian or what have you.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Critical posted:

This was an actual tag team tactic during the golden era, Monsoon always called it "tag-team continuity" if it was The Rockers doing it and "cheating" if it was the heels

The Rockers used to double team for eons while the ref had his thumb up his rear end and it drove child me nuts. Even though it always led to Jesse calling Gorilla's son an idiot to Gorilla's face

It was fun when they tried doing that to Bossman and Akeem at Wrestlemania 5, until Akeem just stood there and clotheslined the poo poo out of Michaels.

Jesse: I believe he irritated Akeem.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It was fun when they tried doing that to Bossman and Akeem at Wrestlemania 5, until Akeem just stood there and clotheslined the poo poo out of Michaels.

I've watched WM5 hundreds of times (I had like 3 PPVs on tape as a kid and this was one of them) and I still laugh at that to this day.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

davidbix posted:

But...when dude first got online, his immediate responses to requests for road stories were pretty much all him committing felonious sex crimes, including one that's largely been corroborated as a true story. So...this being a true story that he just blurted out one day would be completely in-character for him.

Well, I only said that I'm very skeptical because of stories like the aforementioned flight one, which, although possibly true, has several elements that I thought had been established as clearly overcooked ("and then everyone on board cheered and high-fived us!!"). If it was around 2001 that he first posted it then I would also think that as an addict his brain is probably even mushier today as well.

But you'd know better than I would, I don't know all of his stories and I'm just a casual wrestling observer. I'm only noting that from personal experience, when an addict posts something like that on the Internet, which begins with something startling but winds up becoming a whimpering set of random statements targeted at someone else entirely, often an ex-lover, then usually there's little basis for it. In a way I hope I'm right, but if the police want to investigate it then fair enough.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hedgehog Pie posted:

But you'd know better than I would, I don't know all of his stories and I'm just a casual wrestling observer. I'm only noting that from personal experience, when an addict posts something like that on the Internet, which begins with something startling but winds up becoming a whimpering set of random statements targeted at someone else entirely, often an ex-lover, then usually there's little basis for it. In a way I hope I'm right, but if the police want to investigate it then fair enough.

I think people are concerned since Marty's wording implies that he killed more than one person in his life

"the very first time I made a man disappear"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Well, I only said that I'm very skeptical because of stories like the aforementioned flight one, which, although possibly true, has several elements that I thought had been established as clearly overcooked ("and then everyone on board cheered and high-fived us!!"). If it was around 2001 that he first posted it then I would also think that as an addict his brain is probably even mushier today as well.
I'm sure it's embellished in parts, with that being the most obvious example. But at the time, Buddy Rose, one of the Bushwhackers, and maybe a third person I'm forgetting corroborated that the basic underlying story was true. In the last month or two, Mike Chioda—as a guest on Talk Is Jericho—told a story, seemingly trying to censor himself, that was clearly about that flight. Plus Ed Leslie has talked in interviews—while laughing, it's super gross—about The Rockers routinely drugging and raping women.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The plane ride had to have been this stretch of shows:

quote:

WWF @ San Francisco, CA - Cow Palace - January 4, 1991 (6,778)

The Barbarian pinned Jim Brunzell
The Big Bossman pinned Bobby Heenan
Sgt. Slaughter pinned Jim Duggan
Demolition defeated the Bushwhackers
Saba Simba pinned Buddy Rose
Roddy Piper defeated WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect via count-out
WWF World Champion the Ultimate Warrior defeated Randy Savage

quote:

WWF @ Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center - January 6, 1991

Saba Simba vs. Buddy Rose
The Barbarian vs. Dustin Rhodes
Demolition vs. the Bushwhackers
Davey Boy Smith vs. the Warlord
The Big Bossman vs. Bobby Heenan
Sgt. Slaughter vs. Jim Duggan
WWF IC Champion Mr. Perfect vs. Kerry Von Erich
WWF World Champion the Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage

They would have flew into Dallas for an Austin show

Tony Atlas sticks out as someone who would be able to verify the story/be willing to talk about it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

EDIT: It's been a long day.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 6, 2020

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Why aren't the Rockers on either show?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Why aren't the Rockers on either show?

Well this is weird - I assumed they did run-ins or something, but Cagematch says they were in Japan for shows on 1/4/1991, 1/6/1991 and 1/8/1991

quote:

08.01.1991 Super World Sports The Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels) defeat Jeff Jarrett & Naoki Sano (13:37)
SWS - Event @ Tsuyuhashi Sports Center in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan

06.01.1991 Super World Sports George Takano & Shunji Takano defeat The Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels) (9:14)
SWS - Event @ Industrial Pavilion in Shizuoka, Japan

04.01.1991 Super World Sports The Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels) defeat Samson Fuyuki & Tatsumi Kitahara
SWS - Event @ Tokyo Bay NK Hall in Urayasu, Chiba, Japan

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Whoops, it's been a long day. But remember: It's not like we aren't missing results, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jeff Jarrett and Naoki Sano is a WAR level randomness team

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Here is bushwacker luke telling the story on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/squaredcircle/comments/61vx21/_/dfhqb0z

quote:

Numerous! Many of them X-rated! I have dozens with Roddy Piper, but I will tell you about the flight from hell.

Reno to Dallas. On a Sunday night redeye coming back after a show in Reno. Up front was the Warrior and Kerry Von Erich and in back was Sherri Martel, Shawn Michaels, and Marty Jannetty. Plus a lot of college students, as it was Spring Break. Getting on the plane, all the college students were pretty drunk.

15 minutes into the journey, about 6 of them are standing in the aisle drinking. Marty, Shawn, and Sheri stand up and put a little GHB in their OWN drinks, the college students asked what it was, bragging that they had done from angeldust, coke, everything on the table. As in narcotics.

These kids got a little scoop in each of their drinks, about 5 of them. 30 minutes later, the stewardess turns out the lights, it's a redeye. So the kids say they don't feel anything so Shawn and Marty put another big scoop in their glasses.

Within a half hour, all the college kids are out. One of them had made their way to the back bathroom and puking. Another had laid out in the aisle.

Warrior gets the message whats happened, and gets up and walks toward the back with electric clippers going. These kids all have long hair, beatles style. Warrior shaves half of one kid's hair bald. The guy on the toilet, he cut his hair like a monk, with a big bald patch in the middle and hair around a circle on his head. The girl, he shaved her eye brows off and snipped her tank top with scissors, so the goods are hanging out.

Everyone of those college kids had their hair cut in one way or the other, we are all acting normal. The flight attendant comes back, sees everything that has happened and goes back up. When we land, we're told not to leave. Eventually the police come on and handcuff all the college kids, stretchers were brought on.

It was insane! We hopped on the next plane to our home and went on our way.

Thread full of redditors being like " this was wholesome fun in the 80s"

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
It's also possible Shawn and Marty were pulling some Young Bucks bullshit with nonstop travel and they flew into San Francisco to catch the plane back to Texas for a day off before flying straight back to Japan

San Antonio's only an hour away from Austin

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DeathChicken posted:

One of my favorite lines and deliveries of all time

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MorrisBae posted:

It's also possible Shawn and Marty were pulling some Young Bucks bullshit with nonstop travel and they flew into San Francisco to catch the plane back to Texas for a day off before flying straight back to Japan

San Antonio's only an hour away from Austin

And didn't get on either card?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Looking a little bit more at TheHistoryOfWWE.com results etc. during the pretty limited time frame where the guys that we've always heard were on the flight are in the company together:

* Reno on 11/12/90 is a show we don't have results for, but was advertised as having Warrior-Savage, Slaughter, and Power and Glory. There are no more results available for that crew until 11/16 in Youngstown, Ohio, which does include Rose, Rockers, Kerry, and the Bushwhackers, but no Slaughter. A version of the Warrior crew had worked Austin on 11/3, but Slaughter is the only other hit there.

* Reno on 3/27/91 is a Challenge taping, and since it's TV, you can assume that everyone could have been there even if we don't have results for them. Next results are on 3/30, with the Bushwhackers in New Zealand (for one of those weird combined WWF/Australasian indie shows that happened in the era that Titan didn't run there) and Rockers/Warrior/Kerry at SWS Super Wrestle at the Tokyo Dome.

At least using shows we know happened, it kind of has to be an Austin show we don't know about after one of those two...I guess?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

And didn't get on either card?

Ok here's what I'm thinking as far as a timeline

Keep in mind that Japan time is 14 hours ahead of San Francisco time

Nonstop flight from Tokyo to San Francisco is 9 hours

1/4/1991 (Friday) - Chiba, Japan - Rockers competed here at roughly 8PM local time, Show ends at at 11PM local time, Rockers board flight an hour later at 12 AM

**Rockers take 9 hour flight to San Francisco, when they land at 9AM Tokyo time...which is still only 7PM San Francisco time! They made it to San Francisco in time to watch the WWE show (or at least meet the boys at the hotel after)**

1/4/1991 (Friday) - San Francisco - Rockers watch the WWE show (perform maybe?) They fly with the boys that same night to Dallas, a 4 hour flight - Plane ride from hell ends at roughly 5AM on 1/5 when they touch down in Dallas

Shawn and Marty go to San Antonio to sleep *or* they hang out with the WWE crew, for whom it's a day off *and/or* they score drugs - they have until 5PM that same day to board a 13-hour flight from Dallas to Japan

1/6/1991 (Sunday) - Shizuoka, Japan - Rockers competed here at roughly 8PM local time

1/6/1991 (Sunday) - Austin, TX - Rockers were in Japan, so they couldn't have been at this show

1/8/1991 (Tuesday) - Aichi, Japan - Rockers competed here

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 6, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

davidbix posted:

At least using shows we know happened, it kind of has to be an Austin show we don't know about after one of those two...I guess?

Buddy Rose was gone from WWE after January 1991

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

Buddy Rose was gone from WWE after January 1991
Whoops. I thought he was around longer.

So...probably November 1990?

I feel like we've heard enough, and with the cities repeated, that it seems like the story is true, although it's also possible that Jannetty remembered the cities wrong and Luke/maybe others borrowed that aspect from his version.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

this is incredible work.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean isnt it possible that they showed up to work and were just too hosed up even by 1990 standards to wrestle?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JOHN CENA posted:

i mean isnt it possible that they showed up to work and were just too hosed up even by 1990 standards to wrestle?

Given that Davey Boy had to carry Dynamite on his back to the ring, they'd have to be hosed up.

Didn't Andre use a cane in his last few appearances?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Crutches. They sold it with an angle where Earthquake beat him up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That was also one of the main reasons for the ring carts at Wrestlemania VI.

And then you have Wrestlemania VII where Andre just sort of hobbled down to the ring and yelled at people. And Bossman still didn't get the belt.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

Crutches. They sold it with an angle where Earthquake beat him up

I remember being at a house show after that where one match was Jake Roberts vs. Earthquake with Andre in Jake's corner. Before the match, Andre stood up and cut a promo on Earthquake. I was in the sky box seats. I didn't understand a goddamn word he said. It sounded like Godzilla gargling.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

But somehow continued on the tour?

It really doesn't seem like it happened as described.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

But somehow continued on the tour?

It really doesn't seem like it happened as described.

Why wouldn't they? Do you think they'd be punished? I doubt it's a case of them being too hosed up to work a show but I wouldn't expect them to be held off a tour because of drugs.

We have the story from multiple sources. It fits the MO of wrestlers at the time. It fits the MO of Marty and Shawn especially. The fact we don't have cards with everyone on it in an era where we don't have close to complete house show records is not evidence it didn't happen as described other than maybe getting cities confused.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
It's also notable that the match where Charles Austin was paralyzed by Marty Jannetty happened a few weeks prior on 12/11/1990 - I wonder if they had to fly back for depositions or something

quote:

11.12.1990 World Wrestling Entertainment Dark: The Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels) defeat Charles Austin & The Genius

WWF Superstars #225 - Dark Match @ Sundome in Tampa, Florida, USA

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don’t forget the knoxville show in there. not saying it’s important, but it could be.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I don't remember if I've told this story here, but I have a friend who went to a Christian event of some kind a couple years ago where HBK was the big celebrity guest, and there was (of course?) a big group discussion of his born-again faith, and he was struck by how humble and liberal-seeming Shawn is. Other people were trying to push him on gays and trans people and the other kinds of people he should be speaking against because otherwise he's implicitly endorsing them, and HBK kept coming back to two points (I'm paraphrasing heavily, it's been years):
a) he's going to assume everyone is the person God made them to be re: sexual orientation and gender expression and race and creed, and if that's not true and it's somehow his business to know, God'll fill him in when he dies,
and b) he's not inclined to condemn people because he has too much in his past for him to think anything other than "if I could be saved, anyone could be saved."

When that story came out a couple weeks ago about HBK having to explain BLM and racial inequity to an insensitive producer, it reminded me of this story and of that first point. These stories are a good reminder of why he mentioned that second point.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

disaster pastor posted:

I don't remember if I've told this story here, but I have a friend who went to a Christian event of some kind a couple years ago where HBK was the big celebrity guest, and there was (of course?) a big group discussion of his born-again faith, and he was struck by how humble and liberal-seeming Shawn is. Other people were trying to push him on gays and trans people and the other kinds of people he should be speaking against because otherwise he's implicitly endorsing them, and HBK kept coming back to two points (I'm paraphrasing heavily, it's been years):
a) he's going to assume everyone is the person God made them to be re: sexual orientation and gender expression and race and creed, and if that's not true and it's somehow his business to know, God'll fill him in when he dies,
and b) he's not inclined to condemn people because he has too much in his past for him to think anything other than "if I could be saved, anyone could be saved."

When that story came out a couple weeks ago about HBK having to explain BLM and racial inequity to an insensitive producer, it reminded me of this story and of that first point. These stories are a good reminder of why he mentioned that second point.

That's a cool story about Shawn and makes me like him more, but Meltzer said that the BLM story was false on his board, sadly.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Do new wrestlers go to Dave with scoops, like how everyone new in Japan goes to Ribera even though it's not that great? Are there enough old dudes that he can still farm for stuff?*

*He gets it all from Vince, it was him all along

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do new wrestlers go to Dave with scoops, like how everyone new in Japan goes to Ribera even though it's not that great? Are there enough old dudes that he can still farm for stuff?*

He probably has the best access to talent he's had in a decade since WWE signed everyone from PWG.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Back to a previous subject...

davidbix posted:

Overproduced WWE programming isn't remotely a recent development. Check out an '80s Saturday Night's Main Event special on the network for the most obvious examples, but there's plenty more along those lines after the syndicated shows were refreshed to more closely resemble SNME for the Fall 1986 season. And in particular, make sure to use headphones to listen to the audio track, because that's where you can really hear just how extensive the sweetening and general audio manipulation is. There are major angles where it's clear that almost the entire live soundtrack has been replaced. I just remembered this one, which is easy to embed:

It's funny watching the occasional Wrestling Challenge where you can tell it's like 11pm, the people have been there since 6 or 7 much less how early they left to get to the show and get in, and they're watching Honky Tonk Man squash his third man of the night. They're exhausted, nobody is moving much, but you can hear people passionately cheer the poor local competitor's comeback and boo when that dastardly Honky Tonk Man wins.

Triple so for SNME, they turned the sweeteners up to 11 for those.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

collocation posted:

That's a cool story about Shawn and makes me like him more, but Meltzer said that the BLM story was false on his board, sadly.

Ah, I didn't know that. That's a shame.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm told that offering up your first hot scoop to Big Dave is a respected rite of passage for the aspiring grapsperson.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

It's also notable that the match where Charles Austin was paralyzed by Marty Jannetty happened a few weeks prior on 12/11/1990 - I wonder if they had to fly back for depositions or something
That's not how that works. Austin didn't sue until months later at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

davidbix posted:

That's not how that works. Austin didn't sue until months later at a minimum.

Maybe they were meeting with a lawyer/Jerry McDevitt? Marty was taken off the road for a couple weeks in December after it happened, so the company knew he was in some poo poo.