Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They've announced the prices will be the same as on their own store, but there will be periodic sales now on both platforms.

But will you get the Battlefront Toolbar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They've announced the prices will be the same as on their own store, but there will be periodic sales now on both platforms.

Well this is just about bigger loving news than Steam in the first place

PS: Hysterical. I'm laughing.

quote:

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 is the first CM family to make the move to Slitherine with more to follow over time. Battlefront’s online store will remain unchanged, except that pricing will stay in synch with a coordinated sales strategy.

Unreal. This is great.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 5, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Imagine that, a sales strategy!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm just imagining Slitherine showing Battlefront some projections of how much money they are missing out on from Steam as the head Battelfront guy gets increasingly annoyed until he angrily accepts it all makes sense.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
what the??? I'm going to be able to pay for a freaking battlefront game once-and-only-once, and receive free support during its lifetime?! gtfo

lmao x 1000

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
What they should really do is adopt the Command Ops model and make the base engine free with some demo content, then sell the modules as DLC. When they feel the need to sell a patch update to a module, just release it as another DLC with a discount for owners of the old one (or since it's battlefront, don't do the discount)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Preview of Grand Tactics - The Civil War (1861-1865)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uII_fJNK8w

So far it kinda reminds me of a realtime Forge of Freedom.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Grey Hunter posted:

I cannot stand playing the Union side in Civil War grand strategy games.

Not because I am some weird neo-Confederate rear end in a top hat, but because it seems the American Civil War is almost impossible to balance properly on a large scale, and playing the Union is always far, far too easy.

That’s all this video reminds me of this morning. Give me some time to wake up and I will pay closer attention to content.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

I cannot stand playing the Union side in Civil War grand strategy games.

Not because I am some weird neo-Confederate rear end in a top hat, but because it seems the American Civil War is almost impossible to balance properly on a large scale, and playing the Union is always far, far too easy.

That’s all this video reminds me of this morning. Give me some time to wake up and I will pay closer attention to content.

obviously the solution is for ACW games to have an "Ironman" scenario like WITP where the Confederates have AK-47s or something

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I’m surprised more (any?) ACW games don’t have a variant where the confederates succeed in dragging Britain and or other European states in on their side. Seems like an obvious way to give them some kind of chance while maintaining something like plausibility.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Grey Hunter posted:

drat this looks pretty cool

Always up for more games that get away from the old turn-based / hex-based conventions

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pharnakes posted:

I’m surprised more (any?) ACW games don’t have a variant where the confederates succeed in dragging Britain and or other European states in on their side. Seems like an obvious way to give them some kind of chance while maintaining something like plausibility.

I'm pretty sure Forge of Freedom, the AGEOD ACW games, and Gary Grigsby's War Between The States all have a "European Intervention" meter that the CSA wants to tip over to their side, but I've never gotten far enough into those games to know how much it matters.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
generally it's more of an increasing lend/lease deal and maybe a blockade at the higher levels

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Imagine that, a sales strategy!

Hey, there's always been a sales strategy. It's just that until now it's been, "gently caress our customers."

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty sure Forge of Freedom, the AGEOD ACW games, and Gary Grigsby's War Between The States all have a "European Intervention" meter that the CSA wants to tip over to their side, but I've never gotten far enough into those games to know how much it matters.

So does Victory and Glory (however by the time you unlock this you've probably won/lost anyway, which I think is the main problem with these scenarios).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pharnakes posted:

So AGEOD’s American Civil War games had an option to turn up the probability of foreign intervention, but still... playing as the Union against the computer, the war would be over way before it happened.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Which of these big-scale Civil War games is most recommended? I was thinking recently about how I enjoyed UG:CW but wouldn't mind more of a strategic level even if it meant sacrificing something of the tactical level.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So AGEOD’s American Civil War games had an option to turn up the probability of foreign intervention, but still... playing as the Union against the computer, the war would be over way before it happened.

It's not like the war lasts any longer playing against the Union AI. I never saw intervention playing either side, even in games I intentionally stretched out, even when I changed the settings to make it more likely.

Pirate Radar posted:

Which of these big-scale Civil War games is most recommended? I was thinking recently about how I enjoyed UG:CW but wouldn't mind more of a strategic level even if it meant sacrificing something of the tactical level.

Probably AGEOD, at least until Grand Tactician releases (next week? I forget the date). There's not a lot of competition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

Forge of Freedom is too old and outdated: avoid

AGEOD is the most playable one I've tried, but it's probably also the most involved.

I haven't played Victory & Glory nor Grigsby's War Between the States. The latter is probably not great either due to its age, but I'm betting the former is okay.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is 25% off. Anyone taken the plunge on it? I'm mildly interested but Dreadnaughts was obviously the first buy.

e: Dreadnaughts is extremely fun even in the skirmish mode that it currently exists in

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 6, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For that price I will. I actually picked it up a few months back but decided to refund and wait for it to develop more.

From what I've read it suffers from similar issues UG:CW did were no matter how well you play a scenario the campaign will balance it out so the opposing forces get a proportional boost. Leading to weird situations were if you play too well you actually end up making the game way more difficult and potentially impossible.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally got the first workshop version of my Armored Brigade mod done:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2189638653

Since I've had to re-do all the graphics, this is just the US/USSR extended to the new timeline and my alt-US, but no more Steel Panthers sprites! Next versions will update alt-Germany and alt-Britain in a similar fashion.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 7, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Finally got the first workshop version of my Armored Brigade mod done:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2189638653

Since I've had to re-do all the graphics, this is just the US/USSR extended to the new timeline and my alt-US, but no more Steel Panthers sprites! Next versions will update alt-Germany and alt-Britain in a similar fashion.

I would like you to add not Armor Brigade to the mod please.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I bought ultimate admiral age of sail on release and regretted it. It’s come a long way since then and I would recommend it if you really enjoyed Civil War.

I find myself liking the land battles more then the naval stuff as some of the major naval engagements can take actual hours with no mid mission save.

They’ve just done a major overhaul on the engine in the last week or so and I’ve not given it a go since

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Combat Mission Shock Force 2 just announced....

On Steam.

These are the end times, boys.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 just announced....

On Steam.

These are the end times, boys.

It's on Matrix Games, too! :chaostrump:

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/combat-mission-shock-force-2-out-on-august-25th

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Tell us when they announce free patches.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dublish posted:

Tell us when they announce free patches.

I will if it shows up in my inbox.

Until then, lololololol they've taken so long to get to Steam and I don't give a poo poo about Shock Force 2 and gently caress paid patches.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bold Robot posted:

:yossame: I really wish there were a modern flightsim that hit the middle ground between arcade-level (War Thunder, etc.) and stuff like DCS where you pretty much have to learn how to actually fly the plane. Seems like kind of an obvious hole in the market, shame.

So... Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad (+Additions)?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Can you play Il2 with a gamepad? i will never buy a joystick

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fuligin posted:

Yeah, but you could also get a cheap joystick for the price of a gamepad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You're my favorite poster.

Fuligin posted:

I play it on my Playstation 3 controller. You'll need to bind some stuff on your keyboard, and use your mouse to look around if you dont have a good alternative.

You can set the difficulty to be super arcade (invincible, infinite fuel/ammo, etc.) or go as much into sim as the devs have programmed. Theres a decent online community, but I don't actively participate in it so I don't know how popular a more arcade experience is among the rest.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Order of Battle announced the third part of their Soviet campaign!

Really wish they now focus on making a Desert Rats and Italian invasion scenarios, the Brits are really lacking in love.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This is not about a grognard game, but is related to the whole Battlefront coming to steam situation.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Dramicus posted:

This is not about a grognard game, but is related to the whole Battlefront coming to steam situation.

Yes, but he's actually losing money on every sale. :eng101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dramicus posted:

I had never heard of that game and now I'm glad you brought it up. I might just pick that up.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Larz posted:

Yes, but he's actually losing money on every sale. :eng101:

From what I understand, his previous publisher was forcing him to sell the game at 50 bucks or something exclusively on their own website. Now he's selling for ~10 bucks and apparently doing very well. Who'd-a-thunk?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dramicus posted:

+

=

Better watch out or Disney is gonna get him.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

Alchenar posted:

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is 25% off. Anyone taken the plunge on it? I'm mildly interested but Dreadnaughts was obviously the first buy.

e: Dreadnaughts is extremely fun even in the skirmish mode that it currently exists in

Thank you so much for mentioning this! I've read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series a couple times and am obsessed with Hornblower and the time period in general. And yet I had ZERO idea there were modern games with Napoleonic era navel battles. (besides Europa and Total War which didn't quite scratch the itch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

+

=

Better watch out or Disney is gonna get him.

I think it looks more like an A-wing.