Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shame Boy posted:

I mean it's a grocery store, you're generally there buying things for the upcoming week or so, I just assume you're drinking at least a bottle a day

I'd never thought about that.

1 bottle = 5 drinks, so, 35 drinks/week.

Makes sense, yeah. Top decile's well over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I mean they could be sharing a bottle of wine with dinner some nights and also cooking with some

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah alcohol stats are so loving shocking to me, especially in the context of the war on drugs.

NZ is almost exactly the same btw, here's the same graph:

Different colours are just the year of the survey (2017 and 2018)

There's also a lot of evidence that most people underreport their alcohol consumption, so you could probably bump the number of drinks in each category up by one or two.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Loucks posted:

You know you don’t have to drink them all in one sitting, right?

bullshit. once you open one they all start to oxidize. the size of the bottles is so that you can easily drink all 8 in one sitting

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
i always mentally double self-reported alcohol drinking stats

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

please knock Mom! posted:

i always mentally double self-reported alcohol drinking stats

In Europe, it's usually like 10% of people can correctly identify a Standard Unit of alcohol. I don't even know if the US has such a concept

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

happy to be in the bottom decile for once

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

In Europe, it's usually like 10% of people can correctly identify a Standard Unit of alcohol. I don't even know if the US has such a concept

We have Standard Drink units yeah but nobody actually knows they exist or use them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Failed Imagineer posted:

A single glass specialty beer or large can of decently strong beer can be like 4.6 Standard Units

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

The other day at the grocery store I saw an advertisement for 10% off your purchase of eight or more bottles of wine and I can't imagine the kind of person who would buy eight loving bottles of wine at once. Daydrinking moms I guess?

I usually see this for 6 or more, next to the cardboard wine carriers that hold 6 bottles.

I loved those deals, because I had to buy a bunch of specific alcohols for work. So when I had to get 3-4 bottles of wine, I could add in a few of the cheapest wines to get the case discount to reduce the total bill, and keep the bottles of lovely wine for myself. Wooo! Forestville!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

please knock Mom! posted:

A single glass specialty beer or large can of decently strong beer can be like 4.6 Standard Units

Keep in mind that Standard Units of alcohol vary from country to country.

The guideline here is that one 330ml can of ordinary pilsner or a shot of liquor is ~1 unit.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

KozmoNaut posted:

Keep in mind that Standard Units of alcohol vary from country to country.

The guideline here is that one 330ml can of ordinary pilsner or a shot of liquor is ~1 unit.

Supermarket tier beer over here is anywhere from 2.5% to 12% ABV. People are very bad at realizing the can of strong beer they're drinking contains twice the alcohol as one exactly the same volume

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Loucks posted:

You know you don’t have to drink them all in one sitting, right?

If I don't it'll probably go to waste since it oxidizes fast.

Lamb_Chode
May 19, 2007

OK I'm a massive dumbass who is that, OJ?

Accretionist posted:

Living that tenth decile dream.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist posted:

this is why liquor stores qualified as essential businesses.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://www.versare.com/portable-shield-partition/

Marketing Copy posted:

The Bullet Resistant Portable Shield Partition

Overview

Versare is a firm believer that all schools and educational institutions should be safe learning centers for all children and young adults that represent our nation's future. All parents, educators and administrators should feel confident knowing their children and students are safe while at school and will return home at the end of the day. Unfortunately today, the potential threat of gun violence has invaded even these "safe spaces". The sense of security and safety is no longer the standard in today's reality. It is for all these reasons that we believe that a defensive solution is required to protect our educational system.

Versare has decided to address this potential threat of gun violence and active shootings by launching a new line of products that will provide ballistic shields integrating our innovative technology with state-of-the-art ballistic protection materials. This new line of products is designated as Versare's Portable Shield Partition. The ARMAT ballistic material that we have integrated into our partitions have been tested and certified under the National Institute of Justice Standard NIJ0108.01 by independent Ballistic Laboratories. Our initial product is rated at the Level IIIA under this standard. This designation indicates that our solution can withstand multiple shooting impacts by .44 magnum and 9mm ammunition.

The Versare Portable Shield Partition is available in 24 colors and is designed to resemble portable room dividers already found in classrooms. This bullet resistant partition can be easily stored with a collapsed width of 33" and just as easily setup to its max width of 19' 9" in just seconds providing an instant protective shield with minimum deployment time.

Each Portable Shield Partition is custom made to order and requires testing to meet the National Institute of Justice standards. Please expect delivery within 4-8 weeks from when your order is placed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Platystemon posted:

I thought that drivers’ education these days taught to “shuffle the wheel” when making sharp turns, and that at no point should the driver’s arms cross over each other.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/california-driver-handbook/safe-driving-practices/

quote:

There is no one correct way to steer a vehicle safely, but here are a few steering methods recommended by NHTSA:

Hand-to-Hand Steering – This steering method may also be called “push/pull” steering. Using this steering method, your hands do not cross over the face of the steering wheel, and therefore there is less chance of injury to your face, arms, or hands in the event of an air bag deploying. When using this method, start with your hands at 9 and 3 o’clock, or slightly lower at 8 and 4 o’clock. Depending on the direction you are turning, one hand will push the wheel up, and the opposite hand pulls down.
Hand-Over-Hand Steering – This method of steering can be used when turning at low speeds, parking, or recovering from a skid. When using this method, start with your hands at 9 and 3 o’clock, or slightly lower at 8 and 4 o’clock. Depending on the direction you are turning, one hand will push the wheel up, while the other hand will let go, reach across the other arm, grasp the wheel, and pull up.
One Hand Steering – NHTSA recommends using one-hand steering only when turning while backing, or operating vehicle controls that require removing a hand from the steering wheel. The only time that a 12 o’clock hand position is recommended is when backing a vehicle while turning, as the driver must turn in their seat to see the path of the vehicle. The placement of hands on the wheel at 9 and 3 o’clock, or slightly lower at 8 and 4 o’clock, is critical to vehicle balance.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never had a car with an air bag and probably never will. I'm sure we were taught why the shuffle method is really bad but drat if I can remember much from 1997.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

I mean it's a grocery store, you're generally there buying things for the upcoming week or so, I just assume you're drinking at least a bottle a day

yeah, this is why I worry about people who buy 24-packs of toilet paper

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, this is why I worry about people who buy 24-packs of toilet paper

They're prepping for a week's worth of wine shits

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Love to overspend by buying individual use items because storage and planning don't exist

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've never had a car with an air bag and probably never will. I'm sure we were taught why the shuffle method is really bad but drat if I can remember much from 1997.

Wait, i know you live in a magical place but do they not require cars have airbags over there?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

expensive wine actually tastes “worse” as it’s more complex than the alcoholic grape juice that most people drink

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

Wait, i know you live in a magical place but do they not require cars have airbags over there?

I don't think anywhere requires retrofitting them. Same with seatbelts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't think anywhere requires retrofitting them. Same with seatbelts.

In Ireland, all cars have had to have fitted seatbelts since 1971. America continues to amaze and astound

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Facebook was founded in 2006

Days since 2006: ~5000

100 Billion / (5000 days x 24hr x 60min) = ~$14000 per minute, every minute of every day for 14 years straight

drat that guy works hard

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Failed Imagineer posted:

In Ireland, all cars have had to have fitted seatbelts since 1971. America continues to amaze and astound

No that's the same here in America. Jerry Cotton is over in Europe in a country I always forget. Finland maybe?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Len posted:

No that's the same here in America. Jerry Cotton is over in Europe in a country I always forget. Finland maybe?

Ah, sorry America!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

We had a PV Volvo in the late 80s that only had seatbelts in the front, and it was legal :shrug: I've never seen a car, new or old, that didn't have seatbelts in the front though so.

e: Apparently it's still legal here to not wear a seatbelt if none is installed for that seat. I can only assume it's the same in Ireland as traffic laws were germanized with the EU.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 13:20 on Aug 7, 2020

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Sour Grapes is a pretty decent documentary that goes into how bonkers the high end wine world is:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5728684/

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Jel Shaker posted:

expensive wine actually tastes “worse” as it’s more complex than the alcoholic grape juice that most people drink

I’ve had exposure to what I would consider stupidly expensive wines ($300-$1500/750ml, and I sure as hell didn’t pay), and they seemed to range from delicious to awful just like the $10-$20/750ml I actually buy for myself. Maybe they trended to be slightly better on average, but nothing remotely worth the price. I think a huge part of it is just finding something to spend money on and feel superior about. I’m also not a huge nerd who pretends to have a magical palate, but I can taste some interesting stuff if I concentrate sometimes. Gonna drink this $7 bottle I have and watch some of that wine documentary content this weekend while laughing to myself.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As someone who works in an open floor plan office, if making up some bullshit about bulletproof shielding is what it takes to get me a little goddamn privacy I'm fine with that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Accretionist posted:

this source was based on self-reported consumption rates fyi

Failed Imagineer posted:

also here in freedomland we use a larger unit of alcohol for standard drink size

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Aug 7, 2020

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

fine wine is like luxury watches, they taste/tell time just as good as wal mart $5 digital watches but then people won't be able to see how rich you are

Lol if you aren't buying 5L Franzia dark red blend for the good taste/value ratio (all other Franzia tastes like hot garbage though)

necroid
May 14, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

As someone who works in an open floor plan office, if making up some bullshit about bulletproof shielding is what it takes to get me a little goddamn privacy I'm fine with that.

yeah the office of the future is just a maze of these bulletproof panels and a constant stream of gunfire from cubicle to cubicle

and some meetings and presentations thrown in just for good measure

wanna speak to HR? better spearhead the offensive, remember to take no prisoners! especially not those dweebs from accounting

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Justin Tyme posted:

fine wine is like luxury watches, they taste/tell time just as good as wal mart $5 digital watches but then people won't be able to see how rich you are

Lol if you aren't buying 5L Franzia dark red blend for the good taste/value ratio (all other Franzia tastes like hot garbage though)

Yeah but after the Russkies detonate a nuke in the upper atmosphere, generating an EMP blast, that 5$ Walmart special will be dead and my anachronistic mechanical watch will be melted to my wrist and still ticking!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there is very significant difference between five and twenty dollar wine you rubes

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You don't merely keep an amputated arm fused with a wristwatch in a glass case, you take care of it for the next generation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

V. Illych L. posted:

there is very significant difference between five and twenty dollar wine you rubes

Yeah it's $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah it's fifteen dollars

efb