Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I usually like the LPs done by Iconoclast187. He is/was a Goon. He used to have a different username, and hasn't done much in the last few months. He does have a wide back catalog of weird old horror games though. Stuff I'd never heard of like Doctor Hauzer, Aconcauga or Mizzurna Falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FirstAidKite posted:

To be fair, a lot of that criticism is from youtube commenters and that stuff isn't exactly highly regarded.

He does get a bit overly nitpicky sometimes but I'm not surprised because of just how much awful poo poo he has played.
I'm fine with it when he sticks to talking about games, I just think it's kind of hilarious that a guy with a screen-name like "Harshly Critical" is so thin-skinned about it whenever people tell he him is talking out of his rear end. A lot of the things he has gone on about over the course of the videos I've watched actually sounded like pretty justified audience criticism to me, but that is subjective.

Zushio posted:

I usually like the LPs done by Iconoclast187. He is/was a Goon. He used to have a different username, and hasn't done much in the last few months. He does have a wide back catalog of weird old horror games though. Stuff I'd never heard of like Doctor Hauzer, Aconcauga or Mizzurna Falls.
Used to go by Niggurath here on SA, did a few fairly okay LPs.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Couldn't remember the old name, thanks. I like his stuff because he has a nice calm voice and doesn't try to over-explain things. Plus he doesn't do Face Cam nonsense or have big freak outs. That kind of crap is extremely off putting.

Oh yeah, he's not a horror streamer predominantly, but SuperGreatFriend has been doing Siren 2 for the last few weeks. I don't mind him usually, but sometimes he is a little annoying. Mostly when he leaves 15 minutes of himself screwing up in a video or doing a first look thing. He's very much someone who makes a better episode when he is very familiar with the game. His World of Horror stream made me irrationally angry, just not clicking on big obvious icons and completely ignoring what the game was telling/showing him.

Siren 2 is awesome though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I personally kind of like the honesty of showing off the moments where he fucks up because a difficult moment in a game is in fact just that difficult instead of editing it all out and making it look easier and better designed than it is. I use streamers and LPers as purchasing recommendations in preference to conventional reviews, so a skewed and edited portrayal tends to end up costing me money for a product that isn't actually as good as the person made it look.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lifeglug posted:

Because gamers will still slurp up utter poo poo like Agony just because it "triggers" the "SJWs," not because it's any good.

Why do you care what people play or why they play it? The people complaining about Agony pretending it's not offensive yet still seething at the teeth about it are just as annoying as those who play it to own the libs or hell, maybe they actually like the game. As someone who loved the art I couldn't even finish it because of how bad and boring it was, but playing through it was better than people screaming about how it had to be censored or people who put the word edgy in quotes playing it off like it doesn't get to them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

sigher posted:

Why do you care what people play or why they play it?
Considering the way the modern world is going, why on Earth wouldn't you? A person's choice in entertainment product tends to reflect their mindset in other things, including the type that affects everyone around them.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sigher posted:

Why do you care what people play or why they play it? The people complaining about Agony pretending it's not offensive yet still seething at the teeth about it are just as annoying as those who play it to own the libs or hell, maybe they actually like the game. As someone who loved the art I couldn't even finish it because of how bad and boring it was, but playing through it was better than people screaming about how it had to be censored or people who put the word edgy in quotes playing it off like it doesn't get to them.

I mean I don’t care what people play if they’re out to just play a game and have fun. There’s folks out there who are ready to fling themselves onto aggressively mediocre games like Hatred or Agony just because it apparently riles people up. It’s not about the game at all, it’s about trying to piss people off, and that’s what I have a problem with.

Also who were the people calling to censor Agony other than retailers? Like I played it and posted my thoughts in this thread way back, and my opinion was that it was trying so hard to be gross in every way that it just became mundane really quickly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why anyone does anything is entirely meaningless as that reasoning only exists within the mind of that person and is thus nonexistent to anyone else. The only thing that matters is how those thoughts are manifested through action, in this case liking Agony a dumb boring game about brown sex hell, which is bad no matter the reasoning behind it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Additionally:
*faaaaart*

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

sigher posted:

Why do you care what [horror games] people play or why they play it [a horror game] [in this, the horror games megathread]?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'd just like to read the spooky deep web sites in Welcome to the Game(s) without the plate-spinning game component.

e: Apparently that's in the first one but they put a stupid baby picture on the screen the whole time. epic...ftw... thank you mister developer

Bogart fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 7, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lifeglug posted:

It’s not about the game at all, it’s about trying to piss people off, and that’s what I have a problem with.

Seems like a waste of energy.

Lifeglug posted:

Also who were the people calling to censor Agony other than retailers? Like I played it and posted my thoughts in this thread way back, and my opinion was that it was trying so hard to be gross in every way that it just became mundane really quickly.

I meant the people (especially on Steam and Kickstarter) who would bitching and moaning when the devs said they had to censor the game because it couldn't get released on console/Steam in the state it was in because it was way too graphic. There were people throwing up their hands with "How can you censor art!?" "This isn't what I backed, I wanted a refund!" and all sorts of stupid poo poo.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lifeglug posted:

There’s folks out there who are ready to fling themselves onto aggressively mediocre games like Hatred or Agony just because it apparently riles people up. It’s not about the game at all, it’s about trying to piss people off, and that’s what I have a problem with.

You're making your life less enjoyable for no reason, on top of reacting exactly how those people expect you to.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

You're making your life less enjoyable for no reason, on top of reacting exactly how those people expect you to.

Eh. In the case of agony I just see those folks as kind of pathetic it’s not like I’m going out of my way to do anything other than posting on a dead forum saying those folks are lovely people. Also this thread of discussion came from the question of how they are financially capable of making further games considering how poorly the first one did critically. Like this is literally discussing why they made the money they did and it’s because of weird anti-sjw edgy losers throwing money at a poor game because it angers people.

But supporting Hatred financially supports Nazi pieces of poo poo like “Herr Warcrimer” who wrote that lovely game and I don’t see it as wasting time to make a point of trying to make people not support literal neo-Nazis. :shobon:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I used to like him a lot but yeah, while John's youtube stuff is still mostly fine, boy watching his streams for a while has made him come off like a lot more of an unlikable for-real rear end in a top hat and it made me pretty sad. The worst was him talking about I think it was over danganronpa 3 on stream, I said I liked it a lot but didn't like the ending at all, he then starts immediately talking down to me saying oh then you didn't understand it, I say no I understood it, but I've also seen it's kind of ending before and I just didn't like it thematically and stuff, he then starts saying no you haven't seen endings like that, the ending makes it you just didn't understand it, I say no dude, I got the ending and it's not like it's the most completely unique thing, I just entirely didn't like it while liking the rest of the game so much, mind you I'm not like all caps 'yelling' or poo poo talking or anything at any point, then he has me timed out and just keeps saying I'm wrong, like gently caress dude okay cool thanks for doing that to a fan on a live stream who's already a sad marginalized person, totally didn't make me feel super lovely at all.

Kravin is still really cool though and has gotten cooler still over time. ManlyBadassHero is a buddy of John and Kravin's but is also really cool and nice to watch/listen to in his own right since he's another not loud unless genuinely spooked player.

Also yeah iconoclast's LPs are good and I'm pretty sure I saw some of the old niggurath stuff here and there.

Oh and that new game Scrutinized from the WttG people also has a plain old checkbox to turn off the jumpscares which is cool if you're not up for those, though it doesn't turn off the antagonists, it just gives you a more flat [Game Over - (Dude) got you] when you get got, which can still be jarring, but it's not the loud strings blang and spin around anymore at least.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 7, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Also throwing Gab Smolders into the ring of youtubers worth watching along with those folks have already mentioned.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I say no dude, I got the ending and it's not like it's the most completely unique thing, I just entirely didn't like it while liking the rest of the game so much, mind you I'm not like all caps 'yelling' or poo poo talking or anything at any point, then he has me timed out and just keeps saying I'm wrong, like gently caress dude okay cool thanks for doing that to a fan on a live stream who's already a sad marginalized person, totally didn't make me feel super lovely at all.
Yeah, this is exactly the kind of poo poo I can see the guy doing and it's why I really don't like him. He has the worst case of "gently caress you, I'm famous on the internet, your opinion is invalid" going on.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I feel like in the WttG, there isn't a way to fight back if the game decides you're dead. Worst examples being the alley and sometimes the assassin just not leaving the room.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Lifeglug posted:

Also throwing Gab Smolders into the ring of youtubers worth watching along with those folks have already mentioned.

Agreed, she seems to actually enjoy the games she plays so it's a lot more fun. Also shes dating JacksepticEye and they stream together sometimes, which is pretty cute.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think what works good with Welcome to the Game 1 and Scrutinized is its suburban setting. It fits into the rare horror space of Hostile Suburbia, living in a massive samey sprawl of sociopaths and predators (and there is no police to call on., they're out for you too). Total paranoia induction.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I used to like him a lot but yeah, while John's youtube stuff is still mostly fine, boy watching his streams for a while has made him come off like a lot more of an unlikable for-real rear end in a top hat and it made me pretty sad. The worst was him talking about I think it was over danganronpa 3 on stream, I said I liked it a lot but didn't like the ending at all, he then starts immediately talking down to me.

John Wolfe? I also enjoy his Youtube stuff, so I wanted to check out his Streams, and oh boy are they toxic - and I've only watched a few of his in the past few weeks. He seems to have some real anger issues, as he's been fuming and yelling at his audience far too often.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Kraxxukalf posted:

John Wolfe? I also enjoy his Youtube stuff, so I wanted to check out his Streams, and oh boy are they toxic - and I've only watched a few of his in the past few weeks. He seems to have some real anger issues, as he's been fuming and yelling at his audience far too often.

Around the time I unsubbed I got the feeling from stuff he was saying that he’s come to hate this job he quit doing ad copy for, and sort of felt trapped playing horror games, which he’s come to dislike. I don’t know why he couldn’t get back into his old career if this is so onerous. Maybe the money’s too good?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kraxxukalf posted:

Yeah this is the vibe I got from him too. I just immediately turned off the stream. Maybe the horror crowd is into that but holy gently caress i just wanna watch someone have a good time playing bad games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mysterious frankie posted:

Around the time I unsubbed I got the feeling from stuff he was saying that he’s come to hate this job he quit doing ad copy for, and sort of felt trapped playing horror games, which he’s come to dislike. I don’t know why he couldn’t get back into his old career if this is so onerous. Maybe the money’s too good?

He's done a few videos about that and it's exactly what. If he plays something that isn't lovely horror games it doesn't get the views and you can only play lovely horror games for so long before you hate it. As for why he doesn't go back to a non-youtube job i dunno

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Len posted:

He's done a few videos about that and it's exactly what. If he plays something that isn't lovely horror games it doesn't get the views and you can only play lovely horror games for so long before you hate it. As for why he doesn't go back to a non-youtube job i dunno

It’s possible he stalled as a lower level copywriter if he gets this prickly about things not going exactly the way he wants in general. People notice that poo poo and aren’t going to move the whiny sullen guy up if there are people willing to do the work given them without constant guff. I have had, er, experience with that, lol.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I stopped watching John a few years ago. I don't like commentated horror anymore, outside of Kravin and a small few others on occasion. Tomato is fun when he does horror games, too.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009

dogstile posted:

Yeah this is the vibe I got from him too. I just immediately turned off the stream. Maybe the horror crowd is into that but holy gently caress i just wanna watch someone have a good time playing bad games.

My impression from one of those streams was that this was something that happened often. Like a lot. Must be a masochistic audience.

Can take a while, but totally worth it once you find a streamer that actually enjoys their games/genres, and shoots the poo poo with the viewers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The "Guys" character was a parody of the youtube comments and I liked the brief skits intro way more than the common youtube thing of showing a perfectly cut scream before jumping in with your catchphrase. Gotta cut the dude some slack, his dad died, non-horror stuff was wrecked by the inscrutable algorithm, and he still does charity streams that rake in tens of thousands so y'know. Alright in my book if you squeeze angry fans for money to good causes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I believe what happened was John Wolfe quit his job as a copy editor to play bad horror games on YouTube full time which, while successful, he really just hates doing now but feels trapped so he just continues to do it but gets more and more bitter/irritable about it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like oldexplainmore

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I just started watching these horror game guys but I officially don't like these John Wolfe videos. Maybe I need to watch some older ones, but his attitude is terrible for the type of game he's playing. Like you don't have to pretend to be scared, but maybe not complain and make jokes the entire time either. Like you chose this game to play dude, don't act like a pouting kid being forced to eat broccoli.

Also he never, ever shuts up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just started watching these horror game guys but I officially don't like these John Wolfe videos. Maybe I need to watch some older ones, but his attitude is terrible for the type of game he's playing. Like you don't have to pretend to be scared, but maybe not complain and make jokes the entire time either. Like you chose this game to play dude, don't act like a pouting kid being forced to eat broccoli.

Also he never, ever shuts up.

His older stuff was better, but at some point anything that wasn't a sub $5 game made using base Unity assets stopped getting views so he basically just stays because he can't afford a paycut to go back to a real job

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I honestly can't feel for people like that because being able to work from home as your own boss is better than how 99 percent of people have it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I really like Mr Kravin's stuff. I recently watched his entire Last of Us 2 playthrough and he just comes across as a really genuine person through the whole thing. It's fun to watch him react to the changing circumstances of the game because he purposefully didn't spoil himself and doesn't mug. He just plays through and reacts like a person would.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Would really love to see more MrKravin game collabs like with Lost in Vivo.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I honestly can't feel for people like that because being able to work from home as your own boss is better than how 99 percent of people have it.

Yeah but we’re talking about the instability of being an independent contractor with the random cruelty of however the gently caress google manages their ad space. I’ll take a stable full time gig any day of the week and make content on the side.

Frankly dude should have a patreon. No creator should be without one, people don’t even care about regular content. Kitty horror show hasn’t posted in 9 months and still gets $1000 a month because people like their stuff.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Right - civvie (guy who does videos about retro FPS) gets over 3k per month (or video?) on patreon.

But yeah I'm so risk averse that even if I was a decently popular content creator that made the same or more than I make now I'd probably still stick with my 9-5. But if you're streaming and popular enough you're golden.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 8, 2020

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
when did this thread descend into parasocial dogshit instead of actually discussing horror games?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That isn't what parasocial means.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JohnLovely posted:

when did this thread descend into parasocial dogshit instead of actually discussing horror games?

Extremely concerned about the opinion of someone who has never posted in this thread and, judging by rap sheet, is also a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

al-azad posted:

Yeah but we’re talking about the instability of being an independent contractor with the random cruelty of however the gently caress google manages their ad space. I’ll take a stable full time gig any day of the week and make content on the side.

Frankly dude should have a patreon. No creator should be without one, people don’t even care about regular content. Kitty horror show hasn’t posted in 9 months and still gets $1000 a month because people like their stuff.

He talked this over on his channel once and came out with the old Scott Kurtz bit about how it was begging for handouts. Everyone called him an idiot telling him about the myriad ways it would free him up, pointng to his youtuber friends doing the same thing and how it benefitted them but nope, man was determined to be an algorithm slave.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 9, 2020