Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Friday the 13th on NES was good <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020
Back in the mid to late 90s, I remember playing this game on an Acorn PC at school. You played as elves or dwarves, and there were ladders to go up and down, and I believe you collected keys. It must have been educational in someway. I'm sure it was on a floppy disc. I have tried asking this question all over the internet and I still don't know what the hell the game is. Can ANYONE help me out?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Roger Henson IV posted:

Back in the mid to late 90s, I remember playing this game on an Acorn PC at school. You played as elves or dwarves, and there were ladders to go up and down, and I believe you collected keys. It must have been educational in someway. I'm sure it was on a floppy disc. I have tried asking this question all over the internet and I still don't know what the hell the game is. Can ANYONE help me out?

You don't play as the elves but I'd bet money this is Super Solvers' Treasure Mountain.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danaru posted:

It was certainly original as this open world survival horror adventure. But good???

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Danaru posted:

Objectively false, but I admit I have a certain nostalgic fondness for it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Alright maybe good is a strong word, but if they fixed Jason's hitbox and mapped dodge to an actual loving button, it would have been good. In any case it doesnt deserve half the flak it gets from the internet :colbert: everyone has a hill to die on and mine is F13 on NES

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Late '00s Japanese extremely impressive side scrolling flash game. You piloted a mecha/powered suit with a jetpack around and used a variety of weapons (definitely a sniper rifle that moved the camera, and I think melee weapons were in). The menu had enough English I could get around. You fought hordes of enemy soldiers coming in from either side of the screen. The movement was extremely quick, with close range weapons you moved multiple screen lengths a second. I think there was a shop of some sort? You definitely had to unlock things somehow.

e: you picked a mission and then returned to a main menu, it wasn't an open/metroidvaniay world

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 29, 2020

Roger Henson IV
Jul 27, 2020

food court bailiff posted:

You don't play as the elves but I'd bet money this is Super Solvers' Treasure Mountain.

Ive had this recommended a few times and I just can't be certain. Aspects of it seem similar. But I'm sure it was elves of dwarves of some kind. It was so long ago that maybe I'm just misremembering the game and you're probably right. drat I wish I knew for certain.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Danaru posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street was way better

CDG
Feb 20, 2010

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I'm looking for a browser adventure game that I played in maybe 2003 or so. It was a cartoony, I think French Flash game set on a tropical island with pretty nice background art by Flash game standards. I think it was single-player only, but there was a cave you could go into where you became some kind of rabbid-equivalent little man and could chat with other players and do silly emotes.

The main character looked something like this:

The title was a short nonsense word that was probably either the name of the main character or the island you were on. The game was based on a seemingly somewhat popular web cartoon series of the same name that I never watched, but I think I read that it was racist or otherwise unsavoury.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

EDIT: Bird's-eye view, point-and-click

Almost certain this is banja

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Danaru posted:

Alright maybe good is a strong word, but if they fixed Jason's hitbox and mapped dodge to an actual loving button, it would have been good. In any case it doesnt deserve half the flak it gets from the internet :colbert: everyone has a hill to die on and mine is F13 on NES

It was really really bad OP

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Danaru posted:

I'm thinking about dabbling in Rom hacking and if I ever do, this game and Who Framed Roger Rabbit will be getting some adjustments.

Both have good games underneath a huge amount of jank.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Asking about a console game this time. I'm not sure if it was a Sega game, a Playstation 1 or a Playstation 2, so I can't narrow it down any more than that. It was a JRPG kind of game and what I remember about the game is that it had this overworld travel where there was a little window at the bottom of the screen that showed your characters walking through the landscape in side-scrolling view. The rest of the map was fairly standard overworld map travel in the style of dozens of games of its type. I think the graphics were sprite-based, but I don't remember more than that. I do remember that one section of the world-map involved a lot of snow.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Asking about a console game this time. I'm not sure if it was a Sega game, a Playstation 1 or a Playstation 2, so I can't narrow it down any more than that. It was a JRPG kind of game and what I remember about the game is that it had this overworld travel where there was a little window at the bottom of the screen that showed your characters walking through the landscape in side-scrolling view. The rest of the map was fairly standard overworld map travel in the style of dozens of games of its type. I think the graphics were sprite-based, but I don't remember more than that. I do remember that one section of the world-map involved a lot of snow.

You're thinking of Tales of Destiny for the PS1. The first area is the snowy one.

edit: https://youtu.be/7PCJtdF-AAA?t=4767

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 29, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Point and click adventure game released in the past few years, let’s say 2015-2020. I think it was a demo or proof of concept because I definitely would’ve heard about it if it was a full release.

You played a princess locked up in a cage by goblins. The first puzzle was tricking a goblin into releasing you and he gets vaporized by the overlord of the dungeon. The art style stood out, it was kind of Adventure Time-y with thin lines, flat colors, and intricate cartoon backgrounds. Probably hand animated. I think the princess was obviously evil despite her appearance as a frilly dress wearing Disney Princess, she had an angry face and may have supplanted the overlord in the end.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Tsioque?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phantasium posted:

You're thinking of Tales of Destiny for the PS1. The first area is the snowy one.

edit: https://youtu.be/7PCJtdF-AAA?t=4767
Right, that's the one. Thank you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never would’ve found it with a title like that, thanks.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

al-azad posted:

I never would’ve found it with a title like that, thanks.

I think you would have. Have more confidence in yourself. :)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I had never heard of this game, but it's going on the Wishlist.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

CDG posted:

Almost certain this is banja

That's it, thank you!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking for a flash game. I don't know when it was made. It's a game modeled after an old electronic handheld game, or at least it was themed that way. You are a knight and you are looking for treasure. You can start anywhere on the grid, but the walls and treasure placement are randomly generated. You cannot see the walls until you bump into them and you cannot see where the treasure is until you're near. When you get near the treasure, a ghost appears but you can't see it. The ghost will attack you if you land near it or it lands near you. The goal is to get the treasure back to your starting point before the ghost can kill you.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for a flash game. I don't know when it was made. It's a game modeled after an old electronic handheld game, or at least it was themed that way. You are a knight and you are looking for treasure. You can start anywhere on the grid, but the walls and treasure placement are randomly generated. You cannot see the walls until you bump into them and you cannot see where the treasure is until you're near. When you get near the treasure, a ghost appears but you can't see it. The ghost will attack you if you land near it or it lands near you. The goal is to get the treasure back to your starting point before the ghost can kill you.

This is the flash implementation of the Dungeons and Dragons Computer Labyrinth electronic game

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65416/flash-computer-labyrinth

unfortunately since flash is mostly broken these days, who knows if it still works properly?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That's the one, thanks.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Early 90s (I think) PC game along the lines of Mechwarrior whose name started with a U. I remember having to install the drat thing from something like 20 floppies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

Early 90s (I think) PC game along the lines of Mechwarrior whose name started with a U. I remember having to install the drat thing from something like 20 floppies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC51Ev0ndjw

?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Gonna try a longshot here... early-mid 00s freeware game. Played just like Collapse (you eliminated groups of like-colored, adjacent blocks one group at a time to clear the board), but it had a Bubble Bobble / Puzzle Bobble theme.

There was so much dumb, cool free game poo poo in the late days of web 1.0

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

You know, I think you might just be right there. Wow, I don't remember any of that, but it looks totally plausible, thank you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oooh, I remember playing this in a game store ages ago.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I remember playing a game (RTS most likely) with a biotech faction/unit(?) whose activation soundbite was "Whatever you need, we breed." I've got it stuck in my head and it bugs me. Anyone know what it might be? No, I don't remember any more details.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Just guessing as I never played it, maybe Bene Tleilax in Emperor: Battle for Dune?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe one of the KKnDs would fit the bill?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Just guessing as I never played it, maybe Bene Tleilax in Emperor: Battle for Dune?

I did play Emperor and I think you're right.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I vaguely remember a retro-style game (want to say it was a shmup kinda deal). The gimmick was that everything was procgen, and you could basically "invade" an enemy, so they became the new level, and your actions in them could affect the behavior of that enemy when you left them. Or, you could invade one of the enemies inside of the first enemy, and just keep going deeper. I don't recall whether it was all that good, but I can't get it out of my head.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Lprsti99 posted:

I vaguely remember a retro-style game (want to say it was a shmup kinda deal). The gimmick was that everything was procgen, and you could basically "invade" an enemy, so they became the new level, and your actions in them could affect the behavior of that enemy when you left them. Or, you could invade one of the enemies inside of the first enemy, and just keep going deeper. I don't recall whether it was all that good, but I can't get it out of my head.

I haven't played it, but I think this is a game by Jason Rohrer called Inside a Star-Filled Sky.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I sort of have one, but I also sort of doubt that anyone's going to be able to give any insight.

Back in high school I would occasionally play on an online chatroom/game collection, somewhere around 2001 or 2002. The premise of the service was that it was a 'virtual space', sort of the awkward transition between the sort of 'virtual places' of the early internet and later social sites like Second Life. In effect I guess it was sort of a transitional virtual chatroom between programs like The Palace and sites like Club Penguin. In it, you would roam around a castle in faux 3d (think Wolfenstein in a browser window, or maybe the 3d maze windows screensaver) and you could chat in a sidebar or enter various doors into different games. The games included some standard two-player board games like chess, which I played occasionally, but my favorite game was some batshit tactical/strategy game.

I'm a little fuzzy on some of the mechanics of this game, but I believe you were offered a set of cards every turn and you accumulated energy every turn. Every card had an associated energy cost, so you could try to hold out to build up energy for more powerful cards, or you could play lots of little cards. I think at least some of the cards may have also contributed to your energy gain? In addition to this, your character and any creatures or machines you summoned would appear on a tactical grid and could be moved around to attack each other. Different units had different stats including movement speed, health, and attack. Of special note were vehicles, which were cards that could played as equipment for your commander, adding their stats to theirs, or played as independent units. One of the most powerful of these was pretty much literally just Robotnik's hovering escape vehicle from the early Sonic games, granting a ton of movement and some extra health allowing your commander to more effectively play keep-away. Other equipment cards included a personal shield that provided a ton of health, and various weapons that would add to your attack, including a light saber which added a ludicrous amount of damage and made your commander a one-unit army. Creature cards included weird tentacle monsters and mutants as well as a couple of generic killer robots and the aforementioned vehicles (which included a dune buggy, robotnik's hovering pod, and a giant mech). I believe there was also an acidic slime monster that was fairly potent. I'm pretty sure your commander could only have one vehicle at a time, and it would absorb damage first, granting you lots of protection at the cost of losing its extra stats once it was destroyed.

You could focus on kitting your commander out to wade into battle and assassinate the enemy commander, or simply try to drown them in summons, or something in-between, but I believe a lot of it was down to your luck on card draws.

The graphics were all scribbly MSPaint nonsense and clearly either made for the game or stolen from generic icon libraries and modified. The whole thing likely ran on Java. I believe there was some sort of ranking system based on your performance in each game in the larger virtual chatroom castle, complete with tiers you could climb up and possibly icons that could appear next to your name if you were a top-ranked player. I have a vague recollection that it had some incredibly generic name like 'gamescastle2002', but no idea on the specifics. My memory is that the various games and the service itself began to rapidly break down over time with updates to java and browser security, and that it was gone in a couple of years. If that part of my recollection is accurate, this fleeting half-rear end description might be all the memorial something so ephemeral gets, but I'd love to know if anyone could at least put a name to this half-remembered mess.

dads_work_files posted:

Jagex Games Castle/Pyramid was the online service and Cyber Wars was the game. I used to play it a lot around that time! Maybe we played against each other. I seem to remember it being the first and last time I was competitive in a multiplayer strategy game

Just so you know, there's a fan remake here (though the playerbase is dead):

https://www.duelboard.com/old/

And the game itself is a clone of 'chaos'

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Old 3d motorcycle game on PC, had a bunch of different models in it, one had a bunch of racers in standard paved roads, another was going on dirt hills and even had a mode where you had to climb over stuff with your motorcycle.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ChaseSP posted:

Old 3d motorcycle game on PC, had a bunch of different models in it, one had a bunch of racers in standard paved roads, another was going on dirt hills and even had a mode where you had to climb over stuff with your motorcycle.

Moto Racer? There wasn't any zany wall climbing mode, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

THE BAR posted:

Moto Racer? There wasn't any zany wall climbing mode, though.

Moto Racer 2 is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I haven't played it, but I think this is a game by Jason Rohrer called Inside a Star-Filled Sky.

Nailed it, looks like it was more a cool idea than a good game. Ah well, thanks!