Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

al-azad posted:

Doesn't Arcane Dimensions use real projectiles and fix the hitboxes so they're basically the shape of the model? I know I played a mod that did this (Quake 1.5?) and it was actually kind of annoying because your rockets would basically pass under an enemy's armpit.

People don't SSG archviles? I never use the rocket launcher except to snipe but I know when I hear that blood curdling shriek I can get two SSG blasts before the little flame pillar hits me.

e: A Blood PROTIP for newbies like myself, crouching turns cultists from John Wick to stormtroopers.

Rocket launcher when I can afford the distance (even medium range), rush point-blank BFG shot for when it's part of a pack and I need it dead RIGHT NOW before moving on to picking apart the rest. Generally the SSG comes out only pre-BFG or there's zero cover and I need the pain chance from a SSG blast at close range to keep its attack from (hopefully) going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

al-azad posted:

Doesn't Arcane Dimensions use real projectiles and fix the hitboxes so they're basically the shape of the model? I know I played a mod that did this (Quake 1.5?) and it was actually kind of annoying because your rockets would basically pass under an enemy's armpit.

Dunno about Quake 1.5, but AD doesn't mess with hitboxes. It just (optionally) makes shotgun pellets have some travel time.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Crossposting from STEAM thread because it seems right up you guys's's alley:

Songbearer posted:

This little banger showed up on the store for me and holy crap is it a lot of fun:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1285670/Post_Void/

It's £1.56 for some absurdly satisfying fast-paced shooting. Basically you go fast and shoot heads to race to the end of a level before your health runs out.

It's presented in this crazy MTV style cartoony way and I fuckin' love it, it reminds me of Pencil Whipped. Kills restore health, it's constantly draining, and at the end of the level you can choose a perk. My advice is to get exploding enemies by Act 2 because you'll run into clusters of annoying drone things that can gently caress you up if you don't pop them fast. Also don't worry about trying to get vertical in levels that allow it, it'll waste time.

Reminds me a lot of Devil Daggers in that while there isn't a ton there, it's extremely addictive and fun and you can play it for 20 minutes and have a blast. Good time killer.

A few more tips:

If you think you've gotten turned around just count one and a half seconds and if you haven't seen an enemy, go the other way.

The first three levels you can pretty much zoom through as fast as possible but since the amount of enemies increases from that point on, you can take a little more time per room because you'll make it back in murder.

Reload speed and mag size for the pistol is really good so you can rely on it for a lot of the game if you go for headshots. When you get fast reloads and bigger mags the shotgun is the way to go, especially with exploding enemies.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
That looks really cool. Zpc meets Nuclear Throne or something.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

al-azad posted:

You should quote yourself for the rest of us.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3420790&pagenumber=1663&perpage=40#post496172172

Quakespazm and command lines worked like a charm but the whole thing left me sour quick. Something about quake feels like its aged in a way that doesn't hit me as hard as doom and duke does.

Speaking of Duke, Giving AMC TC a try and my loving lords after the re-keybinding and seeing whats up theres a headache inducing amount of stuff! Still, I'm feeling it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really, really wanted to like Golden Souls 2 more than I did. There's just too much stuff, and the cool ideas are spaced too thin. And even with the improved jumping, that just gave the creator more room to go crazy with more intricate platforming.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really, really wanted to like Golden Souls 2 more than I did. There's just too much stuff, and the cool ideas are spaced too thin. And even with the improved jumping, that just gave the creator more room to go crazy with more intricate platforming.

It's really fun but I gave up after a while and just watched the Doom Mod Madness guy beat it. I found "too much stuff" to be accurate too. It is super cool though.

You should try Lovely Planet. It is twitchy and there's a shitload of platforming. It's really unforgiving but it's fun as gently caress.

caleb fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 6, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Songbearer posted:

A few more tips:

If you think you've gotten turned around just count one and a half seconds and if you haven't seen an enemy, go the other way.

The first three levels you can pretty much zoom through as fast as possible but since the amount of enemies increases from that point on, you can take a little more time per room because you'll make it back in murder.

Reload speed and mag size for the pistol is really good so you can rely on it for a lot of the game if you go for headshots. When you get fast reloads and bigger mags the shotgun is the way to go, especially with exploding enemies.

I bought this and am very much digging it but man I would love a "proper" game with this art style.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

JLaw posted:

Dunno about Quake 1.5, but AD doesn't mess with hitboxes. It just (optionally) makes shotgun pellets have some travel time.
AD changes the bounding boxes for a few monsters to make them more in line with the size of the model (smaller). It also used to have smaller projectiles for rockets and grenades, but those got reverted to normal for 1.7, along with increasing the hitbox size for plasma and the shotgun pellets iirc. The two changes together were quite punishing and I remember whiffing a lot of shots on scrags when I first played through it. It's fine now.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I bought this and am very much digging it but man I would love a "proper" game with this art style.

Not shooters, but a few games spring to mind:

Hylics 1/2 (2 linked here) - Psychedelic claymation with surf-rock music
Stramium Immortaly - Biomechanical pixel art side-scroller
Goblet Grotto - Super old and completely bizarre frog meat/goblet-em-up
All Of Our Friends Are Dead - Another super old but disconcerting horror side-scroller

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 6, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thyrork posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3420790&pagenumber=1663&perpage=40#post496172172

Quakespazm and command lines worked like a charm but the whole thing left me sour quick. Something about quake feels like its aged in a way that doesn't hit me as hard as doom and duke does.

Speaking of Duke, Giving AMC TC a try and my loving lords after the re-keybinding and seeing whats up theres a headache inducing amount of stuff! Still, I'm feeling it.

Well I can't speak for what that something is, I feel like Quake is the best aged 3D shooter of the 90s because it is an extension of Doom but in full 3D. And because of the limitations the levels are pretty bite sized so Quake is a game that never wastes your time.

Try playing with the Copper mod that fixes a few of the weirder issues and may make the game feel better to play.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
Slasher's Keep has been on my wishlist for a while and that looks like a comic book. Void Bastards is ok. ZPC is probably only good if you have a KMFDM or Marathon fetish or have taken a lot of mushrooms in the last 20 minutes. Maybe Tower of Guns but that's kind of moving into cell shading and not sprites.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Songbearer posted:

Not shooters, but a few games spring to mind:

Hylics 1/2 (2 linked here) - Psychedelic claymation with surf-rock music
Stramium Immortaly - Biomechanical pixel art side-scroller
Goblet Grotto - Super old and completely bizarre frog meat/goblet-em-up
All Of Our Friends Are Dead - Another super old but disconcerting horror side-scroller

Thanks! Love the Hylics hadn't heard of Staidmium or Grotto.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really suck at Quake even on normal. I think I'll come back to it later. Just finishing the first episode and getting a good ways into the second shows me why it's a classic though. I can imagine mappers really putting people to the test with these mechanics.

EDIT: Tried Dusk for a few levels and I already feel like Quake is much better. I’ll definitely go back to it to complete episode two at least. I wish they’d just port Quake to modern consoles. I really want to play it on Switch but don’t want to hack it due to all the online games I play.:smith:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 6, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Songbearer posted:

A few more tips:

The fact they said it reminded them of Pencil Whipped made this an instant buy for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So what's the best classic style online arena shooter to play these days that has the biggest playbase?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

EDIT: Tried Dusk for a few levels and I already feel like Quake is much better.

Dawg you didn't even get to the good poo poo yet and that's saying a lot because the whole game is good.
I feel like I can't say anything without spoiling it but you should keep going.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

caleb posted:

Dawg you didn't even get to the good poo poo yet and that's saying a lot because the whole game is good.

I bounced off Dusk the first time I played it and didn't finish the first episode, but it gets much better and much weirder as it goes. Its later levels definitely nail the 'place you shouldn't be in' vibe that the better Quake levels have.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caleb posted:

Well it’s getting a release on Switch so I’ll probably give it another try there as a controller baby.:blush:

I do like the beginning. Reminds me of Redneck Rampage a little bit.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 7, 2020

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
It goes from "Cool. This is kind of like Blood." to "We should not give people on peyote access to Trenchbroom." pretty quick. And I'm not saying that is a bad thing at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DUSK is incredible.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’ll spoil dusk and say it has some legitimate atmospheric horror levels but then the next level is a big joke machine like you’re playing duke3d.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Well it’s getting a release on Switch so I’ll probably give it another try there as a controller baby.:blush:

I do like the beginning. Reminds me of Redneck Rampage a little bit.

Given the New Blood motto of SOON I would just play it now and not wait since homeboy is also working on Gloomwood and it took like a year for the Dusk SDK to come out. There is nothing wrong with using a controller, it's just not my style and Quakeworld pretty much solidified wasd so it's weird to me seeing someone use one in that context.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I bounced off Dusk the first time I played it and didn't finish the first episode, but it gets much better and much weirder as it goes. Its later levels definitely nail the 'place you shouldn't be in' vibe that the better Quake levels have.

DUSK's first episode is only good in retrospect because it lowers your expectations so much that when the level design ball gets rolling from Episode 2 onwards your head gets blown off your shoulders

Ep1 is better on replay for that reason alone

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I dunno Episode 1 got my hooked. It's only up from there yeah.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dusk was fun but I didn't find the levels to be particularly mind-blowing, but also I did play it right after amid evil so...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

So what's the best classic style online arena shooter to play these days that has the biggest playbase?

Probably still Quake Live, but eggmania should be soon with Diabotical in the midst of beta stress tests.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

caleb posted:

Given the New Blood motto of SOON I would just play it now and not wait since homeboy is also working on Gloomwood and it took like a year for the Dusk SDK to come out. There is nothing wrong with using a controller, it's just not my style and Quakeworld pretty much solidified wasd so it's weird to me seeing someone use one in that context.

Dillon Rogers is making Gloomwood and has admitted the demo is literally everything he’s made. Sysyzydysyzhdmanski who did Dusk is kind of all over the place. He shelved a horror project, teased a Condemned like hobo horror puncher, and is finishing up Dread X 2 where he has a horror take on those lovely deer hunter games from the 90s.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

site posted:

Dusk was fun but I didn't find the levels to be particularly mind-blowing, but also I did play it right after amid evil so...

AMID EVIL is definitely Real Fuckin' Gorgeous but I think DUSK's more mundane settings really makes the stand out levels when things go balls-to-the-walls crazy really pop out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jehde posted:

Probably still Quake Live, but eggmania should be soon with Diabotical in the midst of beta stress tests.

Why not Quake Champions? I figured it would have more players since it’s free.

EDIT: Played a few more levels of Dusk and yeah, it’s good. It’s confirmed a purchase from me when it comes out on Switch.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 7, 2020

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

Sysyzydysyzhdmanski

I don't know if this is kind of racist against Polish people but it made me laugh super hard as someone who has a last name that is basically Greek gibberish.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

There’s a Nightdive remaster of Terra Nova right? How is it? I didn’t get to play it back in the day, does it still hold up?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

There’s a Nightdive remaster of Terra Nova right? How is it? I didn’t get to play it back in the day, does it still hold up?

There isn't sadly, but the original holds up great imo. Really fun game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, the Night Dive release of Terra Nova is just the original release all nicely setup with DOSbox.

https://twitter.com/Batandy_/status/1291605258234482690

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why not Quake Champions? I figured it would have more players since it’s free.

Quake Champions definitely has an active player base, however it's only free if you only use the quakeguy Ranger character. (Unless you play the game at any time during QuakeCon this weekend! :siren:)

You did ask for a classic arena shooter, and I personally feel the hero shooter aspects of Quake Champions disqualifies it from being an arena game done specifically in a classic way. It's surely a modernization of Quake, and not a bad one either, that I actually like to play and watch sometimes.

But yeah for scratching the purely classic arena itch, I'm looking forward to Diabotical.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
It's not a retro FPS by any stretch, but figured this is probably still the best place to ask; what's the best mode to play Metro 2033 in? It's original survival mode or the remixed version in Redux?

I've tried playing it a couple of times and bounced off of it, but still keep seeing praise from non-idiots so figure I should give it more of a chance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

caleb posted:

I don't know if this is kind of racist against Polish people but it made me laugh super hard as someone who has a last name that is basically Greek gibberish.

Gotta power through autocorrect in a hurry otherwise I get David say a skinny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Songbearer posted:

AMID EVIL is definitely Real Fuckin' Gorgeous but I think DUSK's more mundane settings really makes the stand out levels when things go balls-to-the-walls crazy really pop out

Also DUSK has much better level design.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

From the "dead game walking" files...
https://twitter.com/FrothyOmen/status/1291029976918175746

Hey, speaking of QuakeCon-ish stuff, here's something dropping on Friday...
https://twitter.com/Batandy_/status/1289159762509062145

Thanks for both! Gonna play a QC game (it's been months since last) to grab everything.

Songbearer posted:

A few more tips:

For that price I'll take a look, thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Experiencing Prey (2006) for the first time, and I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't Art Bell.

Loving the way the level design fucks around with space and the cool weapon set. Not loving the full-on headfirst dive into magical Native American tropes or graphic child murder.