Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Congrats on being the fourth user to care about itch.io

Weird thing to post a month after everyone got 1700 games on itch.io.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah itch.io proper integration would be great especially after the recent huge bundle.

Same goes for Humble Store (there is one, but it could be improved upon) and Fanatical and such.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've got an itchi O right here

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
lewd

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Free Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War, claimed from GOG's homepage.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The Space Hulk: Deathwing DLC is also free, which sucks for me because I got it on Steam a few months back and still haven't played it. :pwn:

EDIT: Oh, it's free on Steam as well. I'm dumb. :hurr:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 17, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Saoshyant posted:

Free Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War, claimed from GOG's homepage.

gently caress Eldar, forever.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Angry Lobster posted:

gently caress Eldar, forever.

Missed a perfect chance to call the game Panzy General.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Does the Battlefleet Gothic DLC add anything to the single player campaign?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

habituallyred posted:

Missed a perfect chance to call the game Panzy General.

True enough, I let my Dawn of War 1 multiplayer PTSD get the best of me.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I noticed that Darkest Dungeon is 75% off while the DLC is 50% off. Is any of the DLC essential for this game?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Not in my opinion. Shieldbreaker is probably the best just because having her adds more variety to your team comps.

If you beat the vanilla campaign and are hungry for more content, then I’d look at the other DLC.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the quick advice. I honestly don't know if this game is even for me but I wanted to give it a try anyways, so I guess I'll take The Shieldbreaker and leave it at that.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Genthil posted:

I noticed that Darkest Dungeon is 75% off while the DLC is 50% off. Is any of the DLC essential for this game?

Shieldbreaker adds a fun character class.

Color of Madness is mostly a post-game exercise to give your finished characters something to do.

Crimson Court is the biggest one content-wise but it's bad and I would not recommend it on a first playthrough. It does add another character class and some other stuff and is modular so you have the option to turn on the other stuff without actually adding the crimson court aspects to the game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anybody played Fallout via GOG lately? I've set all my preferences but the window is still tiny:

Am I missing a step or patch (I have the hi-res patch enabled)?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

^looks like you have the 'windowed' option checked

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

^looks like you have the 'windowed' option checked

Is windowed locked to 640x480?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i have no idea

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Anybody played Fallout via GOG lately? I've set all my preferences but the window is still tiny:

Am I missing a step or patch (I have the hi-res patch enabled)?

click scaling x2 or manually stretching the window

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks folks, that's fixed it. Mostly was my brain not working :D

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Reinstalled it just to tinker myself. Fullscreen was fine and windowed stuck at 1024x768 initially, then after clicking the 2x scaling button a few times got windowed mode stuck on 640x480 for a minute or two.

Turning windowed on and off always worked for me, but the resolution it decided to stay at seems like it's semi-bugged behind a Konami code clicking pattern.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

fallout fixt is a pretty good idea ime

https://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-fixt-full-all-fixes-and-mods.8/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
They just added to GOG a game that I used to love but had completely forgotten about - Pushover. It may not have aged well, but I genuinely laughed in delight at seeing it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what games are good local multiplayer games? Divinity 2 original sin and Worms armageddon come to mind, are there any others that come recommended?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Risk of Rain (action roguelike)

Guacamelee (metroidvania)

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

itry fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 6, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Original flatout had split screen 1v1 racing and all the shoot-your-driver-out-the-windshield games are pass the controllerable

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

double nine posted:

what games are good local multiplayer games? Divinity 2 original sin and Worms armageddon come to mind, are there any others that come recommended?

Think of the Children is a darkly-funny game where you've gotta play as parents keeping six children alive as they wander around the map doing all the stupid poo poo your parents warned you not to do.

(Eg; the first map is a backyard picnic. While you earn points by doing tasks like setting the table or managing the barbeque... they're trying to run onto the road. Or eat poison berries. Or swing the swing over the top. You just have to go over and grab or yell at them to make'em stop... but they'll find something new to wander over and do...)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does the developer gonna earn more when I buy from GOG vs from Steam? I'm trying to find a good place to buy Desperados 3.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Vegetable posted:

Does the developer gonna earn more when I buy from GOG vs from Steam? I'm trying to find a good place to buy Desperados 3.

Nope, they take the same cut. The best deal for the dev is if you buy it through Epic Game Store.

Edit: according to this article GOG negotiates individual revenue shares with each dev/publisher but since they don't actually publish that info assume a 30% cut goes to GOG.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 7, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Vegetable posted:

The split should be 30% on each store. Except on Steam, if it already sold above a certain threshold (that I can't recall, I think it's 100k copies?), the developers earn a bigger split.

Not sure if Humble still does this, but I think you could buy a key from there and low the Humble "tip" to 0 so the developer/publisher earns more.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Saoshyant posted:

The split should be 30% on each store. Except on Steam, if it already sold above a certain threshold (that I can't recall, I think it's 100k copies?), the developers earn a bigger split.

Not sure if Humble still does this, but I think you could buy a key from there and low the Humble "tip" to 0 so the developer/publisher earns more.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard

quote:

Another exception is the Humble Store (which is owned by IGN’s parent company, Ziff Davis, but does not influence coverage in any way, full disclosure at the bottom of the page), which takes a 25% cut but only keeps 15% of that for itself, letting the buyer choose whether the other 10% goes to charity or back to them as store credit. Meanwhile, Humble Bundles outside of the store let the buyer set what cuts go to the publisher, Humble, and charity entirely manually.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think the cut is significantly different, however GOG usually bundles in more goodies (scanned manual, soundtrack, art book, etc. assuming they're available) that you may or may not care about.

Of course if you really want to support the developer then you buy the game on each storefront.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The one dev that I buy directly from, which few devs do these days, as well as on multiple platforms, is Spiderweb Software. I always buy their games directly from the site. They include a Steam key, then I buy the GOG version and the version for ipad as well. I have an Android phone, but given its small size I don't fancy trying to play Avernum on it so I do not purchase there.

I think that Jeff said something about no longer publishing for mobile after Queen's Wish, but I can't remember if he was referring to Apple, Android or both.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

The one dev that I buy directly from, which few devs do these days, as well as on multiple platforms, is Spiderweb Software. I always buy their games directly from the site. They include a Steam key, then I buy the GOG version and the version for ipad as well. I have an Android phone, but given its small size I don't fancy trying to play Avernum on it so I do not purchase there.

Dang, that is hardcore support for Spiderweb. I actually salute you on this. These smaller indies do need every bit of support they can get.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Dang, that is hardcore support for Spiderweb. I actually salute you on this. These smaller indies do need every bit of support they can get.

It's literally the only developer I do that for... literally literally. For anything else, I always give GOG the priority and only buy on Steam if there is no GOG option. However, I frequently re-buy a game later on GOG even if I already have it on Steam. I wish that I had future sight about releases, because I'm never in a hurry to buy new releases and I have too many Steam games that later showed up on GOG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have all the Tie Fighter/XWing games on GOG, which version of Tie Fighter is the better one to play these days? The CD ROM or the original DOS?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

chaosapiant posted:

I have all the Tie Fighter/XWing games on GOG, which version of Tie Fighter is the better one to play these days? The CD ROM or the original DOS?

Uhh, If i remember right, the special edition on DOS, because the graphics are enhanced, but it keeps the dynamic MIDI soundtrack that still holds up well to this day.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fargin Icehole posted:

Uhh, If i remember right, the special edition on DOS, because the graphics are enhanced, but it keeps the dynamic MIDI soundtrack that still holds up well to this day.

Noted, ok cool! Hopefully it’s not a bastard trying to setup my joystick.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chaosapiant posted:

There's an unholy method of mixing the best quality voice and best quality music into the better quality visual version. The music isn't dynamic, however. I don't like music in my space games and usually turn it off.

https://www.savingcontent.com/2014/08/09/guide-play-xwingseries-on-modern-pc/7/

Worth a skim if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How do the Tie Fighter/X Wing games hold up and compare to stuff like Freespace? I’ve been playing some Freespace Open and the game is still tremendous!