Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I have that controller.

It's total garbage but it has a turbo button!

I had it too and the turbo buttons were justification enough. But then my best friend got the Advantage with ADJUSTABLE turbo and made me feel like a scrub. I hated the joystick but a turbo dial generated serious gadget envy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, that was real lame since it basically gave you two choice if you wanted to pull apart the set to use as pieces: stickers get destroyed, or you keep a weird multi brick amalgamation.

At least, as a kid cutting the sticker into two certainly wouldn't have occurred to me.

I got this set as a kid:

It was a race car so it was going to be in crashes and had to be able to break apart in as spectacular fashion as possible. I ended up using an exacto knife to painstakingly cut every sticker at the overlaps. It actually worked surprisingly well. After two decades, while the stickers do look a bit ratty, the first thing you notice is the yellowing on the white bricks of the rear wing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a really cool looking set. I'd be temped to redo it with modern snot techniques.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Suckering myself into buying some sets besides the NES when that comes in stock. Keeping an eye on the Hidden Side firetruck* whenever that comes out here, and while looking at the rest of the sets I'm now interested in the school bus :retrogames:

According to Brickseek it might be in stock for $13 at local Walmarts. If anyone happens to see it I'm down to buy it through you. All I see remotely near me is one 'limited stock" store which apparently means there might be one.

*someone wanted the slenderman looking ghoul guy earlier in the thread. I don't think I'll care for it so maybe we can swap for random stuff?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those model team sets were way ahead of their time and looked much closer to something Lego would make in 2020 vs the 90s.

Always wanted that truck with a helicopter on it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

xzzy posted:

That's a really cool looking set. I'd be temped to redo it with modern snot techniques.

Lego did put out a similar model about ten years after that one, at the same time as all the big Technic Ferraris:

But yeah, doing a proper modern redesign would be great.

veni veni veni posted:

Those model team sets were way ahead of their time and looked much closer to something Lego would make in 2020 vs the 90s.

Always wanted that truck with a helicopter on it.

Model Team is awesome. I'd argue that it's still around these days, it's just called Creator Expert instead.

It's a long-term goal of mine to get all 16 Model Team sets, but they don't pop up for sale much, and when they do they're expensive. At least I've already got 5590 which is the one you're talking about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rumours are flying around of a Creator Coliseum near the end of the year, similar to the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge.

Gonna need a wheelchair dude.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Rumours are flying around of a Creator Coliseum near the end of the year, similar to the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge.

I’ll buy it if they include lions and Christian martyrs

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A water baseplate and two small ships

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Time to recreate Spartacus: Blood and Sand in Lego :black101:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lego sub-boss: "we printed too many tan parts!"
Lego exec pens memo to master builder department: "Figure out something completely boring like the Taj Mahal, except tan this time, the AFOLs will eat it up!"
Master builders: "The Coliseum in Rome is incredibly boring sir, and it's half broken already"
Lego exec: "DO IT!"

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

As true as that probably is, count me in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am all in on the tan color. Ever since I got the big hogwarts I've had this dream of building a norman style castle. I have been super reluctant to disassemble the hogwarts though, it just looks so drat cool.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Assuming the Coliseum is real then we have 1 Creator Expert set to go this year.

There are currently 3 #s missing, one will be winter village, the other coliseum.

Unless they just push that # to next year and it ends up the modular.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waltzing Along posted:

Assuming the Coliseum is real then we have 1 Creator Expert set to go this year.

There are currently 3 #s missing, one will be winter village, the other coliseum.

Unless they just push that # to next year and it ends up the modular.

Its supposedly a monorail, there's been rumours for it since the start of the year, tho it would be a bit much releasing the monorail and crocodile in the same year after a complete lack of trains.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Colisseum will be the largest lego set ever, 8458 parts, 3458 of those are cheese wedges, 3000 are 1x1s, 2000 round studs

Also gently caress DPD, they send a message my VW Bus would arrive between 10.45 and 11.45 today, then at 12.01 I get a message "you weren't home." no, I was just WFH like usual these days and waiting for you to ring the bell you asshats.... and live map shows the delivery van is actually still outside of town.

Every single time. That's why I usually go buy in the retail Lego Store.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 7, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, Coliseum build let's go. Step one, looks like I need 457 tan cheese wedges.

My mom, sister, and I went to the Lego store yesterday to get my nephew a birthday present. My sister wanted to get him the Mario starter set but it wasn't out. She asked the guy and he said that they had some but the boxes were smashed so they didn't put them out. My nephew won't care that the box is smashed, so of course we still wanted it. The guy threw in the monty mole set you get when you buy it, plus another thing you get for spending 40 bucks. And then when my mom mentioned it was going to be a good birthday, the guy said "it's his birthday? Here have some more things." And then he finished scanning everything and then said "Well, the box was smashed, so have this other stuff too." So now my nephew is getting like five of those mushroom things.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Man I just gotta say that I'm loving the actual build of the NES set. Just seeing how all the NES bits translate to Lego pieces, like the little clamp piece for the channel switch or the grey rod through the 1x1 with the hole for the power adapter, is so drat fun.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

garfield hentai posted:

Man I just gotta say that I'm loving the actual build of the NES set. Just seeing how all the NES bits translate to Lego pieces, like the little clamp piece for the channel switch or the grey rod through the 1x1 with the hole for the power adapter, is so drat fun.

Hey! Cut it out! You’re making me want to buy it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The spring loaded cartridge tray is a fun thing and that’s already only bag 2

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I decided for myself before getting Assembly Square that I wouldn't dip into the previously released modulars. But I also didn't disavow anything new or forthcoming... so today I pulled the trigger on the Downtown Diner (I noticed it was back in stock online the other day, then immediately went back to backorder). I still have a couple of things to put together before it ships so no rush.

In retrospect the Parisian Restaurant was pretty nice but I think I made the right call by not getting it. It was in the "best of" bracket and I didn't feel the least bit bad about not buying it, even when it was on clearance.

The NES looks terrific. It's not in keeping with my minifig scale world so I doubt I'll get it but it sounds like people are really enjoying it. Not like the piano which people seem to be losing their poo poo over since you can't actually play it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

AdmiralViscen posted:

The spring loaded cartridge tray is a fun thing and that’s already only bag 2

This is legit the best part of the set
The clicking channel knob is my second favorite thing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Y'all are making the fact that i wont be getting mine till next week so much more painful.

It shipped on Weds, and was initially listed as coming the next day, I figured that probably wouldn't be true, but I'd at least get it today. Instead it only got picked up today. I was really hoping to build it over the weekend.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
oh dang it

I shrunk the whole dang ol' set

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. That came out great.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The clicking channel knob is my second favorite thing

I just got to this part and came here to post exactly this. I recently built the Lamborghini and I love seeing how they reused the bendy green rod here.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

oh dang it

drat. That's awesome.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm going to build the Colosseum and hate every moment of it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Also I also made this also. Bit of an upgraded final version of my laser rifle, plus a cute li'l stand to display it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

oh dang it

It looks about 1/10 the size, so you charging $23 for it? :v:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Are there any sets you guys would recommend for say under $50? I like the idea of a basic rear end LEGO castle or play set. Don’t really care for superhero licensed stuff. The nes set would be cool but I’m not looking to drop that kind of cash. If it was a snes, maybe. Haven’t played with LEGO since I was a kid, and would like a nice little thing to live on a shelf.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there any sets you guys would recommend for say under $50?
- Speed Champions is great if you like cars. Lots of options.
- 3-in-1 sets are a good choice if you want to build and rebuild things (or think about MOCs). 31105 is a really neat little toy store with lots of cute details.
- Fossils (21320) is slightly over your budget but is a cool display set.
- Friends (21319) is also a bit over but if you like the show it's a good pick.
- Some of the Architecture / Skyline sets are worth looking at. Depends which cites etc you like.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I also really enjoyed 31095, the UFO carnival ride 3in1 set, which is 55 euros. Fun build, 3 different rides you can make, good playability for the kids and I like the aesthetic.

31094 is a great looking stuntplane, which has a bit more display value. Really solid feeling, too, very swooshable.

There's also the cheaper 3 in 1 sets, like the dino, dragon or shark that you could buy 2 or 3 of and make the alternative builds to create a little set.

If you get three sets of 31058 for example you could have a little T-rex, triceratops and pteradon hanging out together.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 8, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there any sets you guys would recommend for say under $50? I like the idea of a basic rear end LEGO castle or play set. Don’t really care for superhero licensed stuff. The nes set would be cool but I’m not looking to drop that kind of cash. If it was a snes, maybe. Haven’t played with LEGO since I was a kid, and would like a nice little thing to live on a shelf.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-lighthouse-of-darkness-70431

Maybe that. Architecture stuff can look nice but are hardly fun.

The fairground carousel that was mentioned is pretty cool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Monster-Fighters-Vampyre-Castle-9468/184391464584?hash=item2aee967688:g:l4YAAOSwJWtfK14i

You might be able to get that for $70 or so. It's used but a cool little set.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

Like this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Warning: can not eat

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Definitely the 3-in-1 sets. This one is only $40: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/townhouse-toy-store-31105

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Stan Taylor posted:

There isn't much in the way of basic castles right now. The last Castle-adjacent theme we had was Nexo Knights, and the last "pure" classic Castle line we got was from, like, 2011-2012. If you want castle-esque structures, your best bet right now is probably Ninjago, which will also tick the playset box nicely. Castles and similar large playsets tend to be flagship sets in their themes, though, and finding one under $50 isn't always easy. You can browse the Ninjago theme here and some sets that may fit the bill include 71712 Empire Temple of Madness ($80) or 70670 Monastery of Spinjitsu ($80).

Hidden Side was mentioned, too. It's a great theme for playsets and structure builds due to the nature of the AR program they built to work with the sets, but even factoring that out, the builds are great! These tend to feature drab, earthy tones with splashes of color and spooky, paranormal overtones. Check out the aforementioned 70431 Lighthouse of Darkness ($50), a personal favorite called 70422 Shrimp Shack Attack ($50), or 70419 Wrecked Shrimp Boat ($30) which can be either a vehicle or structure depending how you configure it.

That aside, here are some more generalized recommendations for AFOLs as well:

$15: 31088 Deep Sea Creatures. This is a Creator 3-in-1 set, which means it's gonna use mostly basic bricks, plates, and slopes for its shaping - fewer specialized pieces and prints, and no stickers. So, more of a "classic" LEGO build experience. Being a 3-in-1, it has some fun alternate models, as well as a "hidden" online-only 4th model that's honestly one of the best of the lot. It's only $15 and it's an absolutely fantastic set.

$20: 76895 Ferrari F8 Tributo. Speed Champions is all about accuracy to the source material, and therefore are far more densely detailed than other small LEGO cars. They tend to be pretty complex builds, using a lot of modern and small parts to achieve fine shaping. You will have to apply stickers for some of the details, although the F8 at least has fewer than most.

$50: 21043 San Francisco. This is attacking your question more from the "live on a shelf" angle since the Architecture line is aimed mostly at adults who want something to display. Architecture sets are a pretty premium build experience, with fancy packaging and instructions that usually have notes about the real place they're depicting. San Francisco is from the sub-theme of Architecture sets based on skylines, and is easily the best of the lot IMO, with tons of great details and clever forced perspective. Again, no stickers here - all patterned details visible are prints.

$70: 21321 International Space Station and 21315 Pop-Up Book. For a bit over your budget, you can dip into some of the better current offerings from the Ideas range, too. As a shelf/display/conversation piece, either of these would get a lot of attention. Both feature impressive builds and super displayable end results, and the Pop-Up Book can be configured with two different scenes. No stickers.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Monster Burger Truck is 49.99$ and seems like a fun model (with 2 alts) with a few figs. Feels like it'd look alright on a shelf, and has "play value" being a vehicle.
Caravan Family Holiday 69.99$, if you're willing to wait till next month and pay a bit more feels kinda playsetty? Has 2 alts, bunch of figs an some brick-built critters.