Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

I’m personally hoping we see a few more familiar faces pop up later down the line as well. Out of curiosity, does Rumiko Takahashi have anything to do with this new series besides providing a few character designs?

Apparently there was a magazine article from this week that says that she supervises the show and reviews the scripts, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Also, the PV showed that they're adapting the epilogue chapter written for the 3/11 charity manga, so I think we'll see Sango and Miroku down the road

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

That makes it sound like DB Super which turned out well enough despite its rocky start - animation wise.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

the best part about super is that not only did it make android 17 relevant again, but he ends up winning the tournament of power

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Willo567 posted:

For the two people who care in this thread (AKA me and NikkolasKing), the PV for Hanyo no Yashahime dropped, and it starts airing on 10/3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM_fkwDB-Xg

Am I the only one who already thinks this looks better than Boruto?

Very hyped. And we IY fans aren't as alone as you might think. It's just that most of the fandom is dormant until new content arrives.

Super was just mentioned and DB is kind of the rare exception of a franchise that maintained popularity even when it got nothing new for a long time. I remember Attack on Titan was the hot new series everyone talked about in 2014 and then...nothing. It just faded away. Death Note was similar with everyone raving about it then trickling off right up until the Netflix adaptation came out which revived the fandom for a while and same for the manga oneshot.

I've been thinking about a series my GF got me into called Kyo Kara Maoh. That was another big anime that came and went. I'll always remember seeing Yuri (the MC of KKM) being listed as one of the favorite male characters in a Gundam Ace poll from 2005 or 2008 or something like that. Blew my mind. But nobody remembers KKM in 2020. Can't even watch it on Funi's website anymore.

Point is, Inuyasha was huge and beloved but everyone just wandered off because they figured it was over and done with. But now with a new series everyone is like "holy poo poo, I remember that show! I remember the early 2000s and being in high school! I can share it with my own children now."

Here's hoping it is good. Nothing wrong with feeding nostalgia if it's good. And I certainly do want more Inuyasha than I want more Naruto. Inuyasha went on too long as well but it had not so thoroughly poo poo the bed by the ending like Naruto did so I still have a lot of good will towards it.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Very hyped. And we IY fans aren't as alone as you might think. It's just that most of the fandom is dormant until new content arrives.

Super was just mentioned and DB is kind of the rare exception of a franchise that maintained popularity even when it got nothing new for a long time. I remember Attack on Titan was the hot new series everyone talked about in 2014 and then...nothing. It just faded away. Death Note was similar with everyone raving about it then trickling off right up until the Netflix adaptation came out which revived the fandom for a while and same for the manga oneshot.

I've been thinking about a series my GF got me into called Kyo Kara Maoh. That was another big anime that came and went. I'll always remember seeing Yuri (the MC of KKM) being listed as one of the favorite male characters in a Gundam Ace poll from 2005 or 2008 or something like that. Blew my mind. But nobody remembers KKM in 2020. Can't even watch it on Funi's website anymore.

Point is, Inuyasha was huge and beloved but everyone just wandered off because they figured it was over and done with. But now with a new series everyone is like "holy poo poo, I remember that show! I remember the early 2000s and being in high school! I can share it with my own children now."

Here's hoping it is good. Nothing wrong with feeding nostalgia if it's good. And I certainly do want more Inuyasha than I want more Naruto. Inuyasha went on too long as well but it had not so thoroughly poo poo the bed by the ending like Naruto did so I still have a lot of good will towards it.

I was kidding about only us two liking it

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

poo poo, i forgot they killed my guy in frontier. too busy listening to every cover of seikan hikou that youtube will give me
He didn't die in the movies though

I'm glad I went "gently caress it" and watched Frontier when the Harmony Gold bullshit last year happened because it's amazing. The homage to SDF Macross' OP when Alto is going up the elevator to the deck blew my mind.

Plus I love that they turned the Monster into a variable fighter.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh wait, I did watch Carnival Phantasm. That one was great.

I remember trying to learn enough Japanese to play Hollow Ataraxia god knows how long ago. I can probably piece together the intent now, but gently caress it, if it's translated I'll play it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

All the kyo kara maoh fans ranked up into hardcore problematic decensored smut bl

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hungry posted:

Everyone forgets Kagetsu Tohya.

I didn't, I liked Kagetsu Tohya and the Tsukihime 2 teaser in it still makes me sad, even if it was a joke :smith:

Tsukihime is actually more important than Fate for me, I played it first and I got attached.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

Oh wait, I did watch Carnival Phantasm. That one was great.

I remember trying to learn enough Japanese to play Hollow Ataraxia god knows how long ago. I can probably piece together the intent now, but gently caress it, if it's translated I'll play it.
Also, there's also an optional voice patch that is very much worth tracking down as well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stairmaster posted:

mods are asleep post mordred tummy

Oh she's cute. I know there's a lot of Saber copies, is that like an in-universe thing or a "this character was popular so just make a million of them" thing?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
mordred is saber's cloneson. there tends to be simple reasons for many of them like "this one is artoria, this one is artoria in a baseball outfit who is from a comedy star wars parody universe, this one is from a divergent timeline where she uses her holy lance instead of excalibur and this also gives her boobs"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For the first time since I moved back in 2009, there is a deer in my backyard.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

All the kyo kara maoh fans ranked up into hardcore problematic decensored smut bl

That's all well and good but KKM was a comedy, romance fantasy series with cool music and likable characters.

The fact there were pretty men and male fanservice was a nice part of the package but it wouldn't have been anything worth remembering f it was just that.

IMO, anyway. To this day my GF can remember the lyrics and sing the opening theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCi2jpaUe7A

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i remember kyou kara maoh because the guy who composed the soundtrack for mr. driller and tales of legendia composed music for the kyou kara maoh ps2 game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU6AR-6vkEs he composed pretty good music for it too. big fan of the part where the guy is singing in japanese and then a lady just starts singing "A NEW ADVENTURE IS STARTING... AND WE CAN MAKE IT THROUGH" in the background

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Discotek has KKM now ftr

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I didn't, I liked Kagetsu Tohya and the Tsukihime 2 teaser in it still makes me sad, even if it was a joke :smith:

Tsukihime is actually more important than Fate for me, I played it first and I got attached.

Same. Despite Tsukihime's issues, it's a big part of why I started watching anime at all.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:same:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Stairmaster posted:

mods are asleep post mordred tummy

So let me get this straight, Saber (as in the OG Saber) is actually her dad, right

I don't get anime anatomy :smith:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Pani Poni Dash owns

I bought all the ADV singles for the pop up stuff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the deep anime mystery of how two women are able to have a child in a fantasy setting

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feldegast42 posted:

So let me get this straight, Saber (as in the OG Saber) is actually her dad, right

Merlin is an rear end in a top hat wizard is all you really need to know but yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

You can accept female king arthur being summoned into the modern day but a woman having a dick is impossible for you to understand?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remembering the bit in fgo summer 1 where if you're playing as gudako someone's like "i wouldn't mind being stranded here with her and living our lives together forever, but... how would we have children...?" and scathache just says "i have runes."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

That's all well and good but KKM was a comedy, romance fantasy series with cool music and likable characters.

The fact there were pretty men and male fanservice was a nice part of the package but it wouldn't have been anything worth remembering f it was just that.

IMO, anyway. To this day my GF can remember the lyrics and sing the opening theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCi2jpaUe7A

I've never seen this show and this OP has so much stuff packed into it that now I want to track it down.

Zeether posted:

Discotek has KKM now ftr

hmm

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

homeless snail posted:

dandoh... isnt good

dan doh sounds like a bootleg version of homer simpson, op

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

*looking at sfv announcements*

dan!? d'oh!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
[miku voice] hibiki

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

[miku voice] hibiki

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

[miku voice] hibiki

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/OutofVTubers/status/1291797626703118338

warning: crimes

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

She's gonna go to virtual prison for a long time for this.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:ohno:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe she's making up for the fact that Tosshi ain't around no more?

I miss Tosshi and the dumbass Shinsengumi. :sigh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

starbucks hermit posted:

I've never seen this show and this OP has so much stuff packed into it that now I want to track it down.

That might be a challenge. Even a decade ago tracking down the boxsets for my GF was a feat. They were something like $150 even then so I scoured the net and found a brand new one in a warehouse in a store in New York for $50. Of course there are other ways to obtain anime but even that was a bit of a challenge for me to find all the eps and I've had to hold onto them for a long time. If you need any help, shoot me a PM.

The first two seasons were dubbed by Funi but it didn't do well enough Stateside to justify a third season dub and it doesn't really matter since S2 was a perfect ending. It starts off more a yaoi teaser gag series in a fantasy land but it gets far more serious and dramatic by Season 2. I notice this is a trend with all great series; you can't stay gag forever or you just get stale. Notably Dragon Ball got a lot better when it had more serious arcs like King Piccolo but I digress.

Suffice it to say ordinary Japanese kid goes to fantasy land where it's mostly demons but they all look like sexy human men and woman. And poo poo gets comical and then serious from there. Animation budget isn't particularly great for action sequences but there aren't too many of those so whatever. Loved the soundtrack. Fun's dub was good Yuri Lowenthal voices Yuri the main character, Mona Marshal is my favorite character Wolfram, the blond boy in blue in the video.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

You can accept female king arthur being summoned into the modern day but a woman having a dick is impossible for you to understand?

in their defense it takes horny wizard magic for saber to have a child, its kind of a big deal that she is AFAB but then AMAC (assigned male at coronation)

the inuyasha children all have excellent character designs. I never really cared about inuyasha but I want to see what kind of hijinks these tomboyish/cool/doofy looking demon warrior princesses get up to

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

artoria is just REALLY good at tribadism instinct A is no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kyou Kara Maoh is let down by the side gag characters being lame and boring, and they keep drat cutting to them